• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Pr-eh-viously on Canada PoliERA:
Canada PoliERA |OT| Two Years of Sunny Days? That's Scheer Madness!
Canadian Election 2019 |OT| One Long Year of Scheer Stupidity

And now, the current Parliament (as of October 24th, 2019):
1920px-Canadian_House_of_Commons_2019_standard.svg.png

Will be updated with more information once the new cabinet is sworn in during November.

Oct 27, 2017
I am now a top contributor to this thread.

Also, how do I remove notifications from watched threads? I've disabled email notification, but it still lights up the red icon on the site saying someone has responded in the thread.

Edit - The "But," "An," and "Ain't" in the title should be lowercase. ;)

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Also, how do I remove notifications from watched threads? I've disabled email notification, but it still lights up the red icon on the site saying someone has responded in the thread.

I don't think you can. Other than going to the top and clicking "Unwatch". That said, there is a bug on the site where if you dont go into a watched thread in awhile it'll stop notifying you.... but thats probably not what you want to do.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Edit - The "But," "An," and "Ain't" in the title should be lowercase. ;)
It wouldn't be uncapitalized in an independent Alberta! #Wexit

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't think you can. Other than going to the top and clicking "Unwatch". That said, there is a bug on the site where if you dont go into a watched thread in awhile it'll stop notifying you.... but thats probably not what you want to do.
You're wrong. Just uncheck what you don't want to be alerted about.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for no elections for at least 3 years.

Gotta hope for 4. We need to get past the census and redistricting. We're still on 2011 census districts. GTA would be about 700k more population... meaning 7 more seats :-p

Edit: oof, it's actually 1.3 million meaning ~13 possible new seats

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta hope for 4. We need to get past the census and redistricting. We're still on 2011 census districts. GTA would be about 700k more population... meaning 7 more seats :-p

Interesting. How many of those new immigrants? And how many are citizens? That's going to be interesting to find out in next four years.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Lol that title.

Really hoping this stays stable for a while. I don't think my anxiety can take another election anytime soon.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. How many of those new immigrants? And how many are citizens? That's going to be interesting to find out in next four years.

Well, that's just purely on population... each district representing 100k people, not 100k eligible voters. (i *think* as kids + immigrants is higher than discrepancy) Population was 34.5 million and we ended up with 338 districts so 700k or 7 districts off. We're probably gonna have about 400 seats next election

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area

That's only if they have the guts to redistrict seats from Quebec and Atlantic Canada to Ontario and the West. The last time they did redistricting they added seats to the house to avoid that. Not sure If a minority parliament could get a majority to add even more seats.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that's just purely on population... each district representing 100k people, not 100k eligible voters. (i *think* as kids + immigrants is higher than discrepancy) Population was 34.5 million and we ended up with 338 districts so 700k or 7 districts off. We're probably gonna have about 400 seats next election

Ridings don't increase based purely on population though, they are also based on a formula derived from the constitution and how many seats certain provinces are entitled to. As far as I understand, Alberta will actually gain more seats than ON or QC in the next destistricting.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
That's only if they have the guts to redistrict seats from Quebec and Atlantic Canada to Ontario and the West. The last time they did redistricting they added seats to the house to avoid that. Not sure If a minority parliament could get a majority to add even more seats.

Redistricting happens every 10 years. Next one starts 2021 and is implemented ~2 years later that's why i said it needs to last 4 :-p

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
Alright. Parliament is back in session. Time for some first reading on these bills
1. End day light savings time
2. A REAL student loan forgiveness program
3. Tell Bell and Rogers to go fuck themselves

4. Deport Andrew Scheer

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Ridings don't increase based purely on population though, they are also based on a formula derived from the constitution and how many seats certain provinces are entitled to. As far as I understand, Alberta will actually gain more seats than ON or QC in the next destistricting.

How would that make any sense

ontario will be at 15.07 million vs 12.85 million in 2011
Alberta at current rate will be at 4.5 million vs 3.64 million in 2011

2.2 million new people vs 850k and Alberta would get more seats?

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017

Readjustment of representation in Commons
  • 51. (1) The number of members of the House of Commons and the representation of the provinces therein shall, on the completion of each decennial census, be readjusted by such authority, in such manner, and from such time as the Parliament of Canada provides from time to time, subject and according to the following rules:
    • Rules
      There shall be assigned to each of the provinces a number of members equal to the number obtained by dividing the population of the province by the electoral quotient and rounding up any fractional remainder to one.
      If the number of members assigned to a province by the application of rule 1 and section 51A is less than the total number assigned to that province on the date of the coming into force of the Constitution Act, 1985 (Representation), there shall be added to the number of members so assigned such number of members as will result in the province having the same number of members as were assigned on that date.
      After the application of rules 1 and 2 and section 51A, there shall, in respect of each province that meets the condition set out in rule 4, be added, if necessary, a number of members such that, on the completion of the readjustment, the number obtained by dividing the number of members assigned to that province by the total number of members assigned to all the provinces is as close as possible to, without being below, the number obtained by dividing the population of that province by the total population of all the provinces.
      Rule 3 applies to a province if, on the completion of the preceding readjustment, the number obtained by dividing the number of members assigned to that province by the total number of members assigned to all the provinces was equal to or greater than the number obtained by dividing the population of that province by the total population of all the provinces, the population of each province being its population as at July 1 of the year of the decennial census that preceded that readjustment according to the estimates prepared for the purpose of that readjustment.
      Unless the context indicates otherwise, in these rules, the population of a province is the estimate of its population as at July 1 of the year of the most recent decennial census.
      In these rules, "electoral quotient" means
      • (a)
        111,166, in relation to the readjustment following the completion of the 2011 decennial census, and
      • (b)
        in relation to the readjustment following the completion of any subsequent decennial census, the number obtained by multiplying the electoral quotient that was applied in the preceding readjustment by the number that is the average of the numbers obtained by dividing the population of each province by the population of the province as at July 1 of the year of the preceding decennial census according to the estimates prepared for the purpose of the preceding readjustment, and rounding up any fractional remainder of that multiplication to one.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
How would that make any sense

ontario will be at 15.07 million vs 12.85 million in 2011
Alberta at current rate will be at 4.5 million vs 3.64 million in 2011

2.2 million new people vs 850k and Alberta would get more seats?

Alberta's growing at a much faster rate than Ontario so they are seeing a larger increase in their share of the Canadian population. Ontario' share of Canada's population is increasing only ever so slightly.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
In these rules, "electoral quotient" means
  • (a)
    111,166, in relation to the readjustment following the completion of the 2011 decennial census, and
  • (b)
    in relation to the readjustment following the completion of any subsequent decennial census, the number obtained by multiplying the electoral quotient that was applied in the preceding readjustment by the number that is the average of the numbers obtained by dividing the population of each province by the population of the province as at July 1 of the year of the preceding decennial census according to the estimates prepared for the purpose of the preceding readjustment, and rounding up any fractional remainder of that multiplication to one.

The Electoral Quotient grows with the population as well, so we're not just adding a seat for every ~100k of population growth. Really the important thing is the proportion of seats being given to each province.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
It's not possible to remove seats from Atlantic Canada. All four provinces are at the minimum they're entitled to under the Constitution Act, 1985.

Which is dumb. That means the only way to ensure Ontario and the West get fair and equal representation is a constantly growing parliament. We will end up like the UK with a parliment where not every member can attend debates as they're not enough room in the buidling.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Would that proposed increase in the personal exemption take effect for the 2019 tax year or 2020?

Asking for work.

Changes to the tax code can actually take effect before actually being passed by the House of Commons. I don't think they've announced when it'll take effect yet, but I can't imagine it'll be 2019 at this point.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Alberta's growing at a much faster rate than Ontario so they are seeing a larger increase in their share of the Canadian population. Ontario' share of Canada's population is increasing only ever so slightly.

i did the math... projected canada population minus territories divide by 279, divide each projected population by result and i get:

Ontario is projected to be 113 seats
Alberta 34 seats

edit: wait ontario loses seats wat