• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Recently(October) arrived here.
How do you Canadians deal with this snow? It's been snowing HEAVILY since morning dear God.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
How do you Canadians deal with this snow? It's been snowing HEAVILY since morning dear God.
fjHkLxV.gif

Welcome to Canada!

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You stay inside, use the bus if you absolutely need to get outside, and wear appropriate winter gear.

With snowstorms like today, no way I'm gonna use my car, even with winter tires. Way too risky of getting stuck somewhere, breaking on hidden ice where you might slip right into another car or worse(I've seen a car literally flipping down a small hill in front of me next to a highway a few years ago) , and you can't trust other drivers to drive carefully enough.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Bienvenue au Québec lol

You're actually kinda "lucky" that it's your first real snowstorm. They are rarer now due to climate change. When I was a kid, they were far more common and could start as early as November and we'd still have them in late March or even April.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Still following the news for some reason because I guess I don't hate myself enough and the Liberals are planing to spend 12 billion on TMX and 20 billion on the Teck Frontier Mine.

What's 30 billion among oil loving friends?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It'll be great to spend all that money so the CPC can complain about the deficit and try to get the Liberals voted out.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Do you hear that? Thats the sound of the Liberals making enemies out of the only three parties that are willing to back them in this minority parliament. How wonderful!

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Alberta is the sneak preview to what's coming for Ontario.
They already paid out thousands of employees through early retirement incentives and negotiated 1% increases for the rest of the CBA. I guess we'll see how negotiations go when the current agreement is up, but if the shenanigans with teachers is any indication, you'd think they would want to consider avoiding more strikes.

Although if the public already thinks teachers are lazy and overpaid, I can't even imagine what they think of public servants.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
So in Alberta:
- Public sector wage freeze/reduction.
- Tax credits for tech reduced/removed?
- Increase tax credits for oil and gas sector?

Am I right or wrong on those points? Anything I'm missing?

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
So in Alberta:

Cutting funding for public advanced education institutions, while not cutting anything for Christian universities.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Someone should remind the Liberals these kind of handouts won't make Albertans like them any more than they do now. In fact, they may like the Liberals less because true Albertans pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

It also hurts them with people who would actually vote for them. It's so damn stupid. Wasting political capital with Albertans who would hate them even if they capitulated and gave them everything they wanted economical. Because after you satisfy one bullshit, they'll go "yeah well we don't like immigrants, do something about that too!"

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I, for one, hope Ford continues to talk about how much he would vote for a fascist cretin like Trump, i'm sure it will do wonders for his popularity in Ontario.
The day his approval numbers fall below Wynne's will be the 47th happiest day of my life.
Someone should remind the Liberals these kind of handouts won't make Albertans like them any more than they do now. In fact, they may like the Liberals less because true Albertans pull themselves up by their bootstraps.
Handouts for me, not for thee.

An aside: The RCMP continues to be a blight on indigenous nations and people. Also journalists.
The first sound was a snowmobile, somewhere in the distance.

Then, with no warning, a dozen RCMP vehicles, including prisoner vans and RCMP-branded Suburbans, roared out of the pre-dawn darkness and stopped just short of the watch camp where Wet'suwet'en land defenders have been resisting a court-ordered evacuation of their lands to make way for a pipeline in northern B.C.
Backed up by tactical officers, dog teams, and drones with infrared sensors, dozens of RCMP officers began raiding Wet'suwet'en land defender camps shortly before 5 a.m.
One RCMP officer repeatedly threatened a VICE reporter and another journalist with arrest, ordering them out of the camp while they conducted arrests.
Everything about this is horrific.

Last edited:

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
That mine is unprofitable unless oil is $75/barrel. It may never be built.

There's a bunch of approved projects that aren't being built either.

Not sure why they're making a big stink over it.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

GVH: Well let me give you another example. Under the treaties investors are entitled to something called 'full protection and security'. Now what that has been interpreted by arbitrators in some cases to mean, among other things, that the government has to protect the investors' property, assets, from public opposition and public protest. So let's imagine that there are blockades of the pipeline as it's being built through British Columbia, let's say by native groups and by environmentalists. The Chinese will have an expectation, backed by the treaty, that the Canadian government through its police, through the courts, will take strong steps to protect the Chinese investors' business plans from public opposition.

CL: And suddenly the onus is placed on the federal government to uphold this agreement, and their loyalty will in some sense be split between preserving this agreement that they have with the company and also protecting the rights of the citizens.

GVH: Yes, exact. So the question that the government will now have to face is, how is it going to balance its obligations to respect Canadian democratic protests, including when it's actually effective in frustrating a pipeline, to balance that against its new obligations to provide full protection and security, backed by a very powerful international arbitration process, which tends often to favour the investors in its legal approach, and to provide that full protection and security under the treaty to Chinese investors. That's the question the government will now have presented for itself

Fragments of an interview with a law professor on the investment treaty with China from 2012.

It seems he predicted this shit 8 years ago based upon how much power Harper gave China over Canada.

Trudeau is forced to defend Chinese investors profits from the pipeline rather than the rights of Canadian citizens and its indigenous people.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

That this province elected this idiot wannabe Trump should be called constantly, especially around provincial election time.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
The orangeface thread made me remember that we have our very own cheetos
image.jpg

Obviously, his fake tan is much better than Donnie's.
When he becomes prime minister (face it, you're not getting a Liberal leader not from Québec), I can't wait to spam conservatives with "orange man bad!".

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

That this province elected this idiot wannabe Trump should be called constantly, especially around provincial election time.

To think that if Rob Ford never ran for mayor this fucker wouldn't have come back from Chicago to claim the "family" council seat. He's an American through and through, he was just born Canadian.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017

This isn't even the first trial balloon the Liberals have leaked to the media. Earlier on they were musing about something else:

The Liberals want to approve this so bad but they don't know how to do it without pissing off an incredible amount of people on every side. Accordingly they're testing out all sorts of ideas to get a feel for what the reactions are.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
So in Alberta:

Here's a new one:

"What we're talking about there is delisting of carpal tunnel surgery, potentially trigger finger surgery, tubal ligation, breast reductions," NDP Leader Rachel Notley said on Thursday. "All those things are — tubal ligation, obviously — but the other ones are mostly women that require that type of treatment. So it's very distressing to see those kinds of services that matter a great deal to women suddenly being deemed unnecessary."

She also noticed vasectomies were not on that list.

"I'm not quite sure why it is women's birth control [that] is somehow unnecessary but men's birth control carries on," Notley said.
"At the same time, we're telling women that if they do get pregnant they have to leave their community to deliver their baby, quite possibly, because we're looking at reducing maternity services in rural communities. It's kind of ironic."

The full top 10 "non-essential" surgeries:

Abdominal hernias for adults (8,658)
Benign skin lesions (6,827)
Carpal tunnel syndrome (5,845)
Haemorrhoids surgery (2,835)
Adenoidectomy in conjunction with tonsillectomy (1,633)
Tonsillectomy in adults and children (1,106)
Trigger finger (1,106)
Sterilization for women (1,095)
Rhinosinusitis (1,033)
Breast reduction for women (1,011)

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Remember your Conservative ABC's. Always Be Cutting. Its all part of their three step plan to kill Publicly Funded Healthcare in Canada.

A) Cut funding for services to reduce Services
B) Blame Public Healthcare for sucking
C) Privitizing Healthcare piece by piece because the private sector "fills a niche" and "can do it better"

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a new one:

The full top 10 "non-essential" surgeries:

Abdominal hernias for adults (8,658)
Benign skin lesions (6,827)
Carpal tunnel syndrome (5,845)
Haemorrhoids surgery (2,835)
Adenoidectomy in conjunction with tonsillectomy (1,633)
Tonsillectomy in adults and children (1,106)
Trigger finger (1,106)
Sterilization for women (1,095)
Rhinosinusitis (1,033)
Breast reduction for women (1,011)

Lmao. I've done one of these and could do one more if it didn't scare me haha. With a possibility of a third if I ever need it because of office work.

Thanks for funding them, BC.