• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Hello, friends! Let's say I am a Canadian citizen who very rarely follows our national news. Can someone give me a short explanation as to what the protests are over? Or if there's already an explanation post, can someone threadmark it?
TLDR:
The Tyendinaga Mohawk band near Belleville Ontario is protesting in support with their brothers and sisters of the Wet'suwet'en band in Northwestern BC. The reason they are protesting is because the RCMP has unlawfully entered into their territory and has begun arresting their protesters who are trying to prevent access to construction roads which are being used to build a pipeline that they do not want running through their territory.

The reason that the Tyendinaga Mohawk band is shutting down that railway line is because that is quite literally the only thing they can Protest that would put pressure on the Federal Government. The only other thing they could feasably block is the Ontario-401... which is provincially owned -and currently operated by a government that rigged the game to select a new commissioner who is best friends with the premier and would in all likelyhood send in the OPP to arrest every single one of them in minutes- Compared to the rail line which is very critical infrastructure that is 100% in the purview of Federal Regulations (And ironically. Has no RCMP Branch for the Federal Government to immediately send in).

The reason why the rail line matters is that, like everything in Canada. We did the bare minimum in reguards to critical infrastrucutre. And this one single tracked line is literally the only path rail can take to get to Castern Canada.

Last edited:

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Its not even that. If there isn't disruption, then the press straight up does not care. Peaceful Protests don't sell views.
You're not wrong, good press doesn't even sell that well with, well, the press. But it remains that many, if not all the people crying about inconvenience wouldn't give a shit about the injustice regardless. It's bullshit from folks who should examine their desire not to see and care about the ugliness in front of them.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well if anything this shitshow have proven that Canadian transportation is super vulnerable and we should probably find ways to fix that

Last edited:

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Not to be outdone, I feel like CPC candidates want to LOSE the general.

There's lots to criticize about, but acting so punitive towards that institution would be counterproductive.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Not to be outdone, I feel like CPC candidates want to LOSE the general

Well they're trying to appeal to core CPC voters right now who hate the network.

Whoever wins will try and pretend they didn't say a lot of this stuff during the next election.

Kind of how Scheer promised supporters he'd allow private member's bills on abortion, but was saying different things last October.

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least it seems like Trudeau is not going to order RCMP to interfere to end the blockade.

Again, if they don't want to cancel it, why don't they just divert and move the pipeline around? :P

This at least is making me feel some relief:

FINALLY some of the CRA robocall scammers are being taken down..
I've been getting those calls a lot this past week, so this is good to hear. Also, thank goodness for my Pixel 3's screen call function since it makes it just a bit easier to deal with these scam calls.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Not to be outdone, I feel like CPC candidates want to LOSE the general.

There's lots to criticize about, but acting so punitive towards that institution would be counterproductive.

Leave the CBC alone! They got enough issues and despite that, they are my main news network! Marketplace helped get the ball rolling on catching CRA-impersonating scammers, so they're earning their keep.

How about we defund the CPC instead? Useless leeches of a party.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Let's fuck up with each other lives for every issue in this country and live in chaos till we get everyone's attention and reach a consensus.
Who cares if this will harm everyone and specially the most vulnerable, right?
Where do indigenous tribes affected by pipelines fall on your vulnerability scale?

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
"Defund the CBC" has been a conservative rallying cry for decades now. CBC News attempts to stay somewhat neutral, as neutral as an organization dedicated to Canadian progress can, so it's the whole "reality has a well-known liberal bias" situation in action.
...focus on radio? I get that they hate the CBC but what?
Stuff the talk radio CBC with conservative talking heads, return the music radio CBC to "proper" classical music.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
Good. Let's fuck up with each other lives for every issue in this country and live in chaos till we get everyone's attention and reach a consensus.

Ah yes. The most vulnerable, aka via rail customers. We are weeks away from actual harming everyone.

Last edited:

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's pathetic how vulnerable our infrastructure. Just a single blockage is enough to paralize our rail system. I remember similar thing happened but with bridge instead. You have to go to the USA to get to Eastern part. Jeez

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

So who are these "most vulnerable" you keep bringing up that these protests are harming?

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Hostility

Please shut the hell up pro-colonizer, go back to licking the federal boots.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
www.macleans.ca

The Wet’suwet’en are more united than pipeline backers want you to think - Macleans.ca

Amber Bracken: The difference between Wet'suwet'en hereditary chiefs and elected chiefs is rooted in Aboriginal title, an issue that the Government of Canada continues to leave unresolved
Each set of leaders has unique jurisdiction, in the same way that municipal and provincial governments do. The band chiefs, who were imposed by the Indian Act, govern their reserves, while hereditary chiefs predate Canada, and govern the entire Wet'suwet'en territory. It's worth noting that they are not anti-industry and have long held logging agreements.
A key point that project proponents emphasize, is that 20 elected band councils signed benefits agreements, a phrasing that relies on Canadians' social conditioning—one that assumes democratic systems are fundamentally more fair.

While talking about benefits agreements, duress is inherent in the process—First Nations can't actually say no to any project in Canada. In addition, most councils are cash-strapped, and some reported that they were told the project would go ahead with or without their consent—they might as well get on board for a payout. Leaked examples of Coastal GasLink agreements show evidence of large provincial subsidies to get First Nations on board, attempts to muzzle pipeline dissent, and to limit Aboriginal rights.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
And who does this Martin Luther fellow think he is? Shutting down the way from Selma to Montgomery with his "peaceful protest"?

Last edited:

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
So who are these "most vulnerable" you keep bringing up that these protests are harming?
They blocked a bridge in Vancouver that effects emergency services. Ambulances have taken significantly longer to make it to hospitals so the protests are endangering lives.

Get talking, get it resolved. Divert the pipeline if necessary. Protests shutting down railways and roads can't continue.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They blocked a bridge in Vancouver that effects emergency services. Ambulances have taken significantly longer to make it to hospitals so the protests are endangering lives.

Get talking, get it resolved. Divert the pipeline if necessary. Protests shutting down railways and roads can't continue.
Nana Ruth will be fine.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017

Pretty sure that's what they're going after, it's not like they're doing this for the lolz

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
"Trudeau doesn't care about Canadian workers and their jobs and livelihood"

OR

"Trudeau is a colonialist"

That's how you split a vote. No easy answers here.
And then trudeau points to job numbers and his tax cuts. They either argue against aboriginals and the right to protest or they argue that white people are the problem and they wont do that.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say neither of those groups were going to vote Liberal, and in the case of the first, have never voted for anything but CPC.

Aren't these rail shutdowns impacting Eastern Canada? Because I seem to remember a lot of Red there.

Postmedia can spin this as well.

Ultimately it's going to cause a lot of division.

And then trudeau points to job numbers and his tax cuts. They either argue against aboriginals and the right to protest or they argue that white people are the problem and they wont do that.

I'm keeping in mind how dumb the average voter is.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and it's helped the native population how? Someone always eats dirt in a capitalist society.

I never said it helped the native population or that it's even a good thing.

Canada has always gotten by with slight progress, feeling good about ourselves because we aren't as shitty as Trumpistan next door. We're a proud bunch.

No one wants reconciliation besides the feel good headlines because if a government were to pay restitution for what it would really cost, people would start screaming why aren't you spending it on X. Few wants reconciliation if it means going billions into deficit.

It would take a hypothetical future progressive government a hell of a lot of money and PR skills to enact restitution and throw other Canadians a giant bone like UBI to avoid resentment that government cares more about indigenous people than Canadians white people. And they'd need a balanced budget that year as well to really sell the idea too.

If Canadians won't even support giving dental and pharmacare to all Canadians, what chance do the indigenous people have?

Did i miss them doing something?

Cons want no part of this, same as JT

Scheer would have the protesters arrested before you can finish a glass of milk.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never said it helped the native population or that it's even a good thing.

Canada has always gotten by with slight progress, feeling good about ourselves because we aren't as shitty as Trumpistan next door. We're a proud bunch.

No one wants reconciliation besides the feel good headlines because if a government were to pay restitution for what it would really cost, people would start screaming why aren't you spending it on X. Few wants reconciliation if it means going billions into deficit.

It would take a hypothetical future progressive government a hell of a lot of money and PR skills to enact restitution and throw other Canadians a giant bone like UBI to avoid resentment that government cares more about indigenous people than Canadians white people. And they'd need a balanced budget that year as well to really sell the idea too.

If Canadians won't even support giving dental and pharmacare to all Canadians, what chance do the indigenous people have?

Scheer would have the protesters arrested before you can finish a glass of milk.
The answer is simpler than that. How about clean water?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The answer is simpler than that. How about clean water?

I thought they were making progress?

To my understanding, alaundry list of issues that have existed since 1876 isn't going to be solved overnight and that's just long term advisories.

To fix everything else(if it's even possible) same problem as I stated above, money.

If it was a hot issue and there was massive protests it'd probably already be done.