• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
In addition to what has been said, there was this. And there's the fact that he's actually polling 3rd in his own riding, which is just embarrassing.

He's also kind of out of touch. I remember someone (Vamphuntr maybe?) a while ago mentioning how he loved to gloat about his Rolls Royce cars, expensive coats, etc. whilst acting like he's the working class/poor's champion.

It's from this

https://torontolife.com/city/life/behind-the-scenes-with-jagmeet-singh/

It also took him forever to condemn the Air India bombing and to explain why he was showing up at Sikh's extremists demonstrations.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
You know that video of the townhall where that crazy right-winger wouldn't shut up and he started his "We all love you. We all love each other" routine. People seemed to love it but I'm too cynical for that shit. That was the beginning of the end for me. And I think that was before he won the leadership race.

ETA: LOL, they talk about that in the 3rd paragraph of the Toronto Life Article
Four months later, Singh was at a rec centre in Brampton, hosting one of his regular events, also known as JagMeet and Greets. He wore a three-piece black suit paired with a marigold-hued turban that matched his campaign posters. As Singh stood in front of the crowd, testing his microphone, a woman in jeans and a messy ponytail approached him. "We know you're in bed with Sharia!" she barked. "We know you're in bed with the Muslim Brotherhood! We know by your votes!" Her name was Jennifer Bush, and she had attended anti-Muslim protests. Singh is Sikh, not Muslim, but that didn't stop Bush. Though he projected an Obamanian chill, inside he was panicking. "My immediate thought was, 'There's no way a tape of a Caucasian heckler and a turbaned bearded man is gonna look good,' " Singh told me recently. "It makes me look like the Other. It makes me look like there's something wrong with me." He ignored Bush and broke into a chant: "What do we believe in? Love and courage! Love and courage!" Soon the audience was cheering along with him, drowning out the heckler. A video of the incident soon went viral, racking up hundreds of thousands of views. Singh's serene response—and seemingly spontaneous mantra—earned online support from BuzzFeed, CNN's Jake Tapper and the actor Jessica Chastain. His slogan was inspiring thousands of idealists across the country.

I guess it looked cute at the time juxtaposed to Trump.

Last edited:

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to realize how many complete morons exist in comparison to every moderately intelligent person.

Saskatchewan isn't known for having hills but judging by that old coot at least a few of them have eyes.

The amount of people who hate the UN is really something.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the issue with Singh is that he's surprisingly boring and charisma-free, and the only time he seems to make the news is when he screws up.

msboo001

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to realize how many complete morons exist in comparison to every moderately intelligent person.

Saskatchewan isn't known for having hills but judging by that old coot at least a few of them have eyes.

The amount of people who hate the UN is really something.

I live in rural Saskatchewan. We have valleys more then hills but ya there are some crazy people. Including my family members. Now another question is basically "why are we allowing Moo-slims in the country". All the questions from the old white people having been mostly nutty Facebook conspiracy crap. Some old white people cheer the crazy guy, everyone else boo'ed him. Room seems pretty young and diverse on the hole , its on the University of Regina grounds.

Everyone else has had decent questions so far. Other questions so far are more funding for mental health, less barriers for foreign doctors to start practicing and about the Saudis.

Edit: Next question: about home ownership rates, feels the new rules a too harsh for cities outside of Vancouver and Toronto

Last edited:

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I live in rural Saskatchewan. We have valleys more then hills but ya there are some crazy people. Including my family members. Now another question is basically "why are we allowing Moo-slims in the country". All the questions from the old white people having been mostly nutty Facebook conspiracy crap. Some old white people cheer the crazy guy, everyone else boo'ed him. Room seems pretty young and diverse on the hole , its on the University of Regina grounds.

Everyone else has had decent questions so far. Other questions so far are more funding for mental health, less barriers for foreign doctors to start practicing and about the Saudis.

Edit: Next question: about home ownership rates, feels the new rules a too harsh for cities outside of Vancouver and Toronto

It really wasn't that long ago that people were questioning Ukrainian, Italian, Irish, etc immigrants. It seriously depresses me how little progress we've made.

Like, Canada has the largest Ukrainian population outside of Ukraine. We're literally a country of immigrants.

msboo001

Oct 25, 2017
It really wasn't that long ago that people were questioning Ukrainian, Italian, Irish, etc immigrants. It seriously depresses me how little progress we've made.

Like, Canada has the largest Ukrainian population outside of Ukraine. We're literally a country of immigrants.

Hell, I am of Polish-Ukrainian decedent! I know the history. When my dad started to complain about how all the stores where being owned by foreign people I repeatedly reminded him that the same things he was saying about them, was the same things the "old stock Canadians" where saying about his partners. That those franchises are the modern day family farms of his time (he's nearly 80).

Questions right now is from a guy wearing a "I Love Pipelines" was surprisingly lucid. About why we signed the new NAFTA while the steel terrifies are still active, why did we spend government money on Trans-Mountain and why can't we just finish the thing so we can use it to balance the budgets.

msboo001

Oct 25, 2017
oh god not questions about the 'Globalist", we where doing so well too.

EDIT: Trudeau had a nice answer about the misinformation on the internet today and challenged everyone to be mindful of it.

Now the question is about the blockade in BC

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
He been doing a great job tonight tbh. I even learned some stuff, like how farmer's gas/diesel is carbon tax free, which has been a big local sore point.
He did do an amazing job and took the right questions.
When the indigenous elder pointed out that Trudeau has done more to help indigenous people than any other PM was heartening. I had just posted something similar to someone in another thread moments before who tried to diminish Trudeau's work with indigenous peoples.
----

I'm going to go on a bit about this because it's really troubling how often some people try to claim Trudeau is doing nothing to help or worse harming indigenous peoples. I really question what their education and motivation is for trying to amplify a plainly incorrect assertion. It seems at best ignorance at worst intentionally misleading to harm indigenous progress.
Trudeau has been a great ally. Yes, there are some difficulties and a lot of work yet to do. When a user claims that "senate appointments don't matter!" or such nonsense when attacking Trudeau for whatever their reason it distracts from the great work that has and is being done.
It's tiring to continually engage and argue against these misleading statements against Trudeau. Especially when the misleading statements seem to get more support than the facts and others don't hold them accountable. Feels pretty fucking lonely sometimes but that's just the reality of it when you're a minority.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Good news that deserves its own thread. But that Saudi woman stranded in a Thai hotel has been granted asylum in Canada and is flying over tonight.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Speaking of good news: Supreme Court of Canada guarantees voting rights for expats
The Supreme Court of Canada has ruled that expats have the right to vote in federal elections no matter how long they have lived outside the country.

In a 5-2 decision, a majority of justices said the infringement to Charter rights is not justified.

Writing for the majority, chief justice Richard Wagner said voting is a "fundamental political right, and the right to vote is a core tenet of our democracy."

"Any limit on the right to vote must be carefully scrutinized and cannot be tolerated without a compelling justification," the judgment reads.

The Liberal government already passed legislation last month that guaranteed voting rights to all Canadians residing outside the country, but Friday's ruling could have the effect of preventing future governments from enacting legislation to limit voting rights for citizens living abroad.

Another big screw you to the legacy of Harper, one that we're all better off without.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Speaking of good news: Supreme Court of Canada guarantees voting rights for expats

Another big screw you to the legacy of Harper, one that we're all better off without.
I have mixed opinions on this.
I am okay with short term Expats voting but I find it UNETHICAL for a citizen living abroad for 5+, 10+, 20+ years voting that effects domestic policy.

Many expats vote for self enrichment, self interest and selfish reasons.

=

I have the right to vote in Portuguese elections but I ethically refuse to do so because I don't work there or pay taxes. And I know if I would vote, it would be for selfish reasons which is not cool at all for actual citizens who pay taxes and are affect by legislative changes,
---

so, short term expat, yeah okay. But long term expats, especial a decade +, fuck them on deciding elections

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
As opposed to all the selfless voters putting others before themselves here in Canada? JFC.
difference is, they are abroad not paying taxes then voting on politicians that effect legislation domestically like healthcare, education

do you really think that an Expatter votes for Education, Healthcare or Infrastructure?

nope, an Expat is going to vote on cutting taxes, and loopeholes

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
He does have a small point, because many Turkish ex-pats vote for Erdogan consistently.

I do agree with the Supreme Court that ex-pats should have some sort of voting power, but it's something that undoubtedly has unintended consequences -- especially if we end up having a considerable ex-pat population.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
He does have a small point, because many Turkish ex-pats vote for Erdogan consistently.

I do agree with the Supreme Court that ex-pats should have some sort of voting power, but it's something that undoubtedly has unintended consequences -- especially if we end up having a considerable ex-pat population.
this, they vote Erdogan for nationalistic reasons while living abroad fucking over people in Turkey who don`t vote for Erdogan

Expats lean Right Wing

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Who cares? Why should they lose rights because they move?
Because they no longer live in their home country for many years and are voting on policies that affect people living in the country. It's a fair argument, and yes, also what SRG01 about Turkish expats voting for Erdogan. Saying "who cares" is a bit weird here. I, and people who pay taxes and live in my country, care about who decides its fate, yes, and I think it should be decided by people who have at least lived in it in the last few years.

Edit: I'd honestly even prefer voting from non-citizens who have a long-time permanent residency (e.g. Japanese immigrants who can't get dual citizenship and hold on to their Japanese citizenship, but who live here, work here, pay taxes etc. for 10+ years) over people who haven't lived in Canada for a decade. But I know that will never happen.

Last edited:

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Because they no longer live in their home country for many years and are voting on policies that affect people living in the country. It's a fair argument, and yes, also what SRG01 about Turkish expats voting for Erdogan. Saying "who cares" is a bit weird here. I, and people who pay taxes and live in my country, care about who decides its fate, yes, and I think it should be decided by people who have at least lived in it in the last few years.
Pretty much,

An expat who decides to live in Thailand for 20 years is not going to give a shit about say infrastructure but would vote Conservative on property, real estate, taxation, and tax havens

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for your contribution.

I don't anticipate that being an issue. Ex-pats are the least of Turkey's problems.

Expats lean Right Wing
Thank you for your contribution.

Judging how much someone gives a fuck about their country based on their most recent tenure in it is what's weird to me. They're still Canadians Morrigan. Presumably they care to some extent about Canada. I also pay taxes. Some people who pay little to no taxes also have the right to vote; should we be gatekeepers to them too? Maybe we should keep university students who don't work part time from voting too, I mean they're just reading books right? Not contributing until they're paying income tax? Should students from wealthy families whose parents pay their tuition and give them spending money be allowed to vote because of the 5% GST they pay with their parents money on goods and services they use? What about people on EI? Disability? Parental leave? Do they contribute enough to the future of the country while they're on hiatus from the job market?

If the left is losing elections because of ex-pats they have fundamental issues that are far beyond those extra votes that may lean conservative. They lump in with the conservative base that reliably shows up in this scenario; it's the left's job to inspire their mob of flakes to show up when it matters. When you boil this down to its basis it's a purity test for measuring how Canadian someone is. Should someone rent a place for 3 months every 10 years top up their Canadian stamina bar?

Putting a benchmark on it in this case, to me, is weird, and as you can see with our resident NGP supporter, it gets a bit partisan.

Pretty much,

An expat who decides to live in Thailand for 20 years is not going to give a shit about say infrastructure but would vote Conservative on property, real estate, taxation, and tax havens
So motivate them to vote for your cause rather than exclude them. Presumably the conservative fearmongering might mean these people retire here for the healthcare, and to leech off of social services. Why would they vote against that? And if they give so many fucks about property and real estate wouldn't that mean they own property here, paying property tax, building maintenance, etc., thereby, *gasp* contributing?

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
bremon You're a bit too focused on the "paying taxes" aspect, which is just one factor, not the sole one. Also, see my edit. I would prefer if voting came from people who actually live in Canada, and would even prefer long-time permanent residents over long-time citizen expats, personally.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I'd prefer more people were allowed to vote. I'd be more inclined for permanent residents and people here on work visas voting. I'd rather we motivate people and inspire people to engage with the system and get past our pathetic voter turnout numbers rather than add more stipulations. I've worked with plenty of people who are permanent residents, pay taxes, contribute to their communities, and are upstanding citizens who aren't able to vote. It's ridiculous. Even moreso than stripping ex-pats of voting rights.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
again, myself as example. I have the right to vote in Portuguese legislative elections but I don't do it because it is not fair at all for Portuguese people who actual work and pay shit load of taxes there.

If I were to vote (Portugal), I would vote for the Center-Right party to for real estate reasons.
But that's unethical, so I decide to not vote in Portuguese elections and let actual tax payers decide their future.

Canadian elections, hey I work and pay taxes here, so I vote "here" for the country that I participate in.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Good for you gutter. Congratulations on having a personal standard you hold yourself accountable to, that's admirable. It doesn't, however, form a strong foundation for a legal version of the same standard applied to people in your same situation in my opinion.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Good for you gutter. Congratulations on having a personal standard you hold yourself accountable to, that's admirable. It doesn't, however, form a strong foundation for a legal version of the same standard applied to people in your same situation in my opinion.
Think about all the dualies who abuse the Real Estate market and fuck the Housing sector presently

they legally have right to so but is it ethical?

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
I don't like the idea of people exploiting the voting system in a way that harms residents but support expats being able to vote. It seems unfair to condemn all expats for the actions of some.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Think about all the dualies who abuse the Real Estate market and fuck the Housing sector presently

they legally have right to so but is it ethical?
Of course it isn't gutter, I don't disagree with you along that train of thought. I don't think taking rights away from them is better though.

I don't like the idea of people exploiting the voting system in a way that harms residents but support expats being able to vote. It seems unfair to condemn all expats for the actions of some.
This is where I'm at. I realize there are issues, but broad sweeping changes hurt people who aren't doing anything wrong.

Oct 27, 2017
Per twitter, there's some weird stuff apparently happening with the Ford admin right now (at least two high-profile women leaving). Anyone seen this story?

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, that's probably the way most people are thinking about this ruling. It's good in principle, but it's something to keep an eye on in case of problems in the future.

The great thing abut the Supreme Court is that there's a culture that laws and legislation are living and have to change with the times, which is why things are struck down all the time.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This whole Expat voting thing would be so easily solved if we just did the logical thing and created a single extra seat to count their votes towards. Just 1 seat. 1 MP. That's literally all that is needed and we can move on.

Then:
* They would be properly represented by having their views be heard.
* We wouldn't be mixing Short-Long term Expats in with a riding they were no longer tied to
* Their support and ability to affect elections and general policy for the general public would be limited to that one seat.
* They would even be able to get their own Parties made which would be able to specifically advocate for and educate on issues that mattered to Expats.
* That MP would also be highly specialized being able to serve as a sort of ambassador or have the knowledge specifically for dealing with Expats in issues that you would traditionally contact your MP for.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
This whole Expat voting thing would be so easily solved if we just did the logical thing and created a single extra seat to count their votes towards. Just 1 seat. 1 MP. That's literally all that is needed and we can move on.

Then:
* We wouldn't be mixing Short-Long term Expats in with a riding they were no longer tied to
* Their support and ability to affect elections and general policy for the general public would be limited to that one seat.
* They would even be able to get their own Parties made which would be able to specifically advocate for and educate on issues that mattered to Expats.
* That MP would also be highly specialized being able to serve as a sort of ambassador or have the knowledge specifically for dealing with Expats in issues that you would traditionally contact your MP for.

This makes sense, because it would be really nebuous as to which riding they would vote for in the first place.

Killerrin for MP!

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wayne Gretzky, MP for "the folks who don't live here no more".
Sarcasm, Wayne's politics are pretty awful if his endorsements are anything to go by.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017

Then:
Huh, that's an interesting idea. I think it makes a lot of sense, but I haven't really thought about all the ramifications or loopholes.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's not a bad idea, some countries like Italy have designated seats for citizens living abroad.

Status
Not open for further replies.