• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Stick Ford in a class room and he'd be the stupidist person in the room.

If they can try to justify lowering requirements they'll try to use that to justify lower salary baselines, especially for new teachers coming out of teachers college.

Clearly he's gearing for or oblivious to the fight he's about to get into with OSSTF and ETFO. I was in grade 6 during the Harris strikes, so i dont remember how long the longest one lasted. Odds we sail past that if it gets that far?
Hell public perception of teachers in 2019 is not what it was 20 years ago, he's going to make parents angry if he handles it as well as he did autism funding.

If you look at the Ontario educator salary grid their is already a level for non university degree. It goes A, A1 all the way to 4. So...it doesn't really have an effect, the grid is the grid. It just pushes up the teachers who are A1 into a higher standing in their respective school board. But again, the school boards do the hiring. If person A has a university degree and person B has a college diploma.....I don't think he thought this through.

I assume the non university "track" is for those teachers who have been around so long they've been basically grandfathered in with old credentials. If he wanted to shove down teacher salaries he'd do the opposite and increase the qualifications. But thankfully he's stupid

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Is it important for primary teachers to have University education!? Stick Ford in a classroom and he'd get eaten alive by the kids
Please. The children aren't monsters. Now Ford on the other hand... He'll have them smoking hash by the end of homeroom.

Odds we sail past that if it gets that far?
I give it a 397% Chance he enacts Back to Work Legislation before the strike even happens. And a 6005% Chance that when it gets appealed in court, he'll declare Section 33 of the Constitution.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Can we talk about how th Greens are on-track to supplant the NDP as the third party in national polling?

Not a sure thing, but their numbers have consistently been rising, and May is more popular than Singh.

Canada Election 2019 |OT| Green Grows, NDP Lows

Last edited:

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Please. The children aren't monsters. Now Ford on the other hand... He'll have them smoking hash by the end of homeroom.

I give it a 397% Chance he enacts Back to Work Legislation before the strike even happens. And a 6005% Chance that when it gets appealed in court, he'll declare Section 33 of the Constitution.

Teachers will just put on educational videos all day. Bill Nye, etc. Toss in a cursory bs lesson and there, accomplished the terms of the contract. What's he going to do? Have a cop in every classroom in Ontario?

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Teachers will just put on educational videos all day. Bill Nye, etc. Toss in a cursory bs lesson and there, accomplished the terms of the contract. What's he going to do? Have a cop in every classroom in Ontario?
He'll make up some BS remark about how Ipads can teach your kids better than the teachers can, then fire the teachers and give the schools $50 to buy Ipads for everyone.

Or it'll be some bullshit remark that we should be looking to the USA for ideas on how to run a proper Education System by divesting in the Public Education Sector and introducing vouchers for Charter Schools. This despite the fact that the USA might as well be a third world country on this front whereas we have the top 3 systems in the country, in a country where we are the top 3 in the world.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
He'll make up some BS remark about how Ipads can teach your kids better than the teachers can, then fire the teachers and give the schools $50 to buy Ipads for everyone.

Or it'll be some bullshit remark that we should be looking to the USA for ideas on how to run a proper Education System by divesting in the Public Education Sector and introducing vouchers for Charter Schools. This despite the fact that the USA might as well be a third world country on this front whereas we have the top 3 systems in the country, in a country where we are the top 3 in the world.

And when a left party gains majority again everything will swing the other way. I swear the intention for our political was to not have these massive swings, but it's what always happens

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
If he wanted to shove down teacher salaries he'd do the opposite and increase the qualifications. But thankfully he's stupid

I have no idea what Ford's game is. He's pissed off families of autistic children and now he's dumping them onto the school system.

Or it'll be some bullshit remark that we should be looking to the USA for ideas on how to run a proper Education System by divesting in the Public Education Sector and introducing vouchers for Charter Schools. This despite the fact that the USA might as well be a third world country on this front whereas we have the top 3 systems in the country, in a country where we are the top 3 in the world

Yeah but schools are liberal indoctrination camps that might make your kids gay with their sex education program.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I have no idea what Ford's game is. He's pissed off families of autistic children and now he's dumping them onto the school system.

Yeah but schools are liberal indoctrination camps that might make your kids gay with their sex education program.

He really is stupid. Not only is he in actuality not effecting teacher salaries at all....but he's now winning sympathy for educators because they have to do more with less and it's a big public thing now. The teachers contract runs out in August, it's like he's purposefully running headlong into a wall

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
And when a left party gains majority again everything will swing the other way. I swear the intention for our political was to not have these massive swings, but it's what always happens
Don't worry. Atleast we'll fix the system soon eventually. And speaking of the system. Elections BC just put out the fundraising report for the Electoral Reform Referendum. Documents and stats can be found here.

TLDR: 103 Individuals donated the maximum amount to the "NO PR" side. Compared to 16 Individuals who donated the maximum amount for the "YES PR" side. "YES" PR having vastly more small donations than "NO PR". But don't worry guys. Money definitely doesn't buy elections. In fact, I'm proud that the YES side was able to run a safe, cost-effective, non-antagonistic campaign NO side was able to afford running all those ads of Nazi's marching in the streets. It definitely didn't cost a lot of money to run those non-stop across the province.

Last edited:

flameINSANE

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry. Atleast we'll fix the system soon eventually. And speaking of the system. Elections BC just put out the fundraising report for the Electoral Reform Referendum. Documents and stats can be found here.

TLDR: 103 Individuals donated the maximum amount to the "NO PR" side. Compared to 16 Individuals who donated the maximum amount for the "YES PR" side. "YES" PR having vastly more small donations than "NO". But don't worry guys. Money definitely doesn't buy elections. In fact, I'm proud that the YES side was able to run a safe non-antagonistic campaign NO side was able to afford running all those ads of Nazi's marching in the streets. It definitely didn't cost a lot of money to run those non-stop across the province.
Certainly didn't see that coming /s

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5046724

A little-known research group inside the prime minister's own department has been looking at whether public servants should be offered electronic fitness-tracking devices to help reduce their health insurance premiums.

Wearable fitness trackers, such as smartwatches, also could be used to reward fitness-conscious employees through loyalty points programs, such as the travel points program offered by Aeroplan.

In the "other bad ideas from the PMO" department.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Despite the speculation of what may happen next to JWR within the Liberal party, I don't see how it could be an option for JWR to be forced out of caucus. She is wildly popular and will cruise to reelection.

In news that will drive gutter_trash nuts, the NDP have recruited Nima Machouf to run in the next election, the wife of Québec Solidaire's first elected member, Amir Khadir.

Last edited:

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

CBC News: Ethics watchdog probing SNC-Lavalin affair taking 'prolonged' medical leave
Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner Mario Dion, the man looking into potential violations of federal ethics rules in the SNC-Lavalin affair, is temporarily stepping away from his duties for health reasons.
A statement issued by his office today says Dion will be away for a "prolonged period for medical reasons."
"Commissioner Dion will resume his duties as soon as he is able to do so," says the release. "We hope you will join employees of the Office in expressing our best wishes for Commissioner Dion's health. We would request continued respect for the privacy of Commissioner Dion and his family at this time."

Prax

Oct 25, 2017

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Don't we already do blood and health tests at least to get "preferred" coverage?

I've never done any blood or health test except when a doctor ordered it.

Closest I've seen is my auto insurance company using an app to track my driving which I don't like either.

We passed the DNA non-discrimination law at least (I waited to do 23andme after the law got passed.. lol, although this won't necessarily protect me from having info sold but .. eh..). https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/G-2.5/page-1.html

Well my DNA getting sold off is reason alone to never bother with this lol.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I've never done any blood or health test except when a doctor ordered it.

Closest I've seen is my auto insurance company using an app to track my driving which I don't like either.

Well my DNA getting sold off is reason alone to never bother with this lol.
Oh, if you buy life insurance or something that directly depends on your well-being for payout (like disability insurance?), they DEFINITELY want health tests haha.
I don't think auto insurance takes someone's health into account, just what they may use vehicle for (recreation vs normal vs deliveries?).

I probably don't care enough about what I think DNA companies will do with my information (I assume it will be anonymized in some way) compared to what I might be able to learn from it myself. Which I guess is the main tradeoff most people have to make.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Not a good enough excuse, i'm a dev and easily do between 12k-20k steps a day in the middle of downtown TO. :)

Do you guys work on a treadmill? I get like around 8k tops on a good day when I'm in the lab. It's worse in the winter as I don't walk the dog as often but 20k sounds like a half marathon.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.cornwallseawaynews.com/2019/03/12/police-called-to-mpps-office-during-peaceful-protest/

CORNWALL, Ontario – Police were called to a peaceful protest among two mothers, one grandmother and three 5-year-old children at MPP Jim McDonell's office around 3:20 p.m. on Tuesday, March 12.

The families entered McDonell's office around 3 p.m. intending to write letters to our local MPP expressing their concerns over the recent changes to the Ontario Autism Program.

Approximately 10 minutes after entering the office, an employee of McDonell's office requested that Cathy Varrette, mother of son (who we are not naming in accordance with Varrette's wishes and will refer to as N), asked Varette to prohibit N from playing with a window blind.

"Okay! That needs to stop," stated the employee.

"When your government agrees to pay for my son's therapy, I will make him stop," said Varrette.

Varrette explained to the employee that her son is non-verbal, non-compliant autistic and this action would only escalate the situation. Varette requested the employee not touch her son when the employee approached. The employee explained that McDonell was not in the office due to health reasons to which Varette replied she did not care.

"I've had enough of this and I am calling the cops," said the employee.

Three police cars promptly arrived with sirens on

It's becoming a habit to call police on protests for these assholes.

A grandma and 3 five year olds are threatening now.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I walk to work which is about 7-8k (45m walk), then get another 4-6k walking around the office. Days I do 20k I also tend to spend another hour at lunch walking around the city or underground. So even if I cut out my morning walk, walking at work and a bit over lunch 10k is simple.

I'd say my weekends are my worse since it's mostly staying at home or driving to Markham.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
https://www.cornwallseawaynews.com/2019/03/12/police-called-to-mpps-office-during-peaceful-protest/

It's becoming a habit to call police on protests for these assholes.

A grandma and 3 five year olds are threatening now.
If I ever get into Ontarian politics and wind up being elected (something must have gone horribly wrong for that to happen but I digress), the first bill i'm proposing will focus on new sentencing for calling police on peaceful protestors, with a minimum sentence of "walking through a room with Lego bricks scattered throughout for an hour".

Honestly, the more I read up on this debacle, the more livid I get at how unconscionable this particular action by the OPCs truly is.
In news that will drive gutter_trash nuts, the NDP have recruited Nima Machouf to run in the next election, the wife of Québec Solidaire's first elected member, Amir Khadir.

I'll fill in for GT since...uh...no. No to sovereignists, be they Quebec, Alberta or from any other province or territory*.

*Indigenous groups advocating for greater autonomy are not sovereignists for obvious reasons and their cause has my support.

Last edited:

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If there is one thing we can say for certain with this government. It's that atleast our cities have been able to start building out their metro-transit capabilities that people have been screaming at them for decades over. Government funding confirmed for 2 Edmonton LRT expansions

A federal investment of $1 billion was confirmed Monday that will help fund the Valley and Metro LRT Line expansions.

Ottawa is providing over $1 billion for both projects through the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Plan, including approximately $948 million for the Valley Line West LRT and approximately $127 million for the Metro Line Northwest LRT.

In April 2018, the federal government announced it would support transit projects in Edmonton but didn't name the specific projects.

... Now if we could only tackle the equally important regional, provincial, and country wide transit files.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
So an MPP Randy Hillier was suspended feom the OPC caucus for supposedly saying "Yada yada" to an autism parent during question period. He claims it was to an NDP MPP.

Recently he sent a letter out he was kicked out for different reasons:

In the letter obtained by Global News, Hillier wrote: "The truth behind my removal, however, is not due to banter in the House but long-standing tensions between me and Doug Ford's most senior advisers (Dean French and Chris Froggatt) over what is expected of MPPs in the PC caucus."

Hillier also alleged that this is not the first incident in which he has encountered attempted coercion and pressure by "backroom party operatives to co-opt my role as an MPP." He said when he challenged the suspension, "backroom operatives" gave him a "laundry list of questionable and childish grievances."

"I don't stand and clap for ministers enough in the House, I wasn't actively retweeting or sharing Facebook posts about the government's activities, and that I was 'putting my constituents and local stakeholders ahead of Party business,'" Hillier said he was told.

I'm not sure who to believe but it explains a lot about how undemocratic this government is if true. Not to mention their stupid clapping and nonstop retweeting each other while ignoring constituents of not fighting them.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
So an MPP Randy Hillier was suspended feom the OPC caucus for supposedly saying "Yada yada" to an autism parent during question period. He claims it was to an NDP MPP.

Recently he sent a letter out he was kicked out for different reasons:

I'm not sure who to believe but it explains a lot about how undemocratic this government is if true. Not to mention their stupid clapping and nonstop retweeting each other while ignoring constituents of not fighting them.
What is Hillier's record like up to now? I would not shocked if his letter was the truth, given how big Ford's ego is, something is filling up that head of his, but if Hillier is a known liar and scummy politician it lends some credence to not trusting him.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'll fill in for GT since...uh...no. No to sovereignists, be they Quebec, Alberta or from any other province or territory*.

*Indigenous groups advocating for greater autonomy are not sovereignists for obvious reasons and their cause has my support.

Are we sure that she IS a sovereigntist, though? The possibility is likely, since she's the wife of a member of an avowed sovereigntist party, sure, but aside from that point, Quebec Solidaire is basically the NDP in all but name. Much like we have elected Liberals who clearly disagree with the recent actions of the PMO, I'm sure there are QS supporters and elected members who don't really buy into the sovereignty line. Leaving out the possibility entirely that she might not have the exact same political convictions as her husband.

All that said, the only sovereignty movement I support currently is the peaceful ceding of US states from the Union.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Mulcair tore down the House that Jack built and now Singh is burning the rubble *sigh*

maybe I'm being too hard on him and the question didn't register with him correctly but this isn't the first time.

And noticed the media is starting to give equal time to Scheer as well.

Scheer should be way ahead in the polls now but I think everyone is genuinely afraid of a conservative government that people are willing to tolerate inappropriate behaviour from the PMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.