• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Maybe he wants Scheer to kick him out so he can be a martyr? Then he'll be able to create his own party or join another one (people are starting to speculate he might go PCQ).
I doubt he'd downgrade to provincial politics once he was THAT close to leadership of a national party.

They should. But they won't. They know that if they stay together they'll have the advantage come election time when the Left does what the left does best, Split the vote, while the Right snakes up the middle to victory.

You make it seem like they'll always have a choice in the matter. I mean, we already have a party that's an enduring pain in the ass because of a conservative party schism that couldn't be outmaneuvered, remember?

Besides, the centre vote will abandon the Tories if they don't put on more airs of respectability and Scheer's behaviour so far shows that he wants the CPC to keep their mullet (respectable from the front, nutjob from the back). Losing that air of respectability even partially or temporarily is what cost Harper his government in equal measure to a stronger and unified Liberal Party.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
They want to try and make it one, but in the end, the city's officials elected to do so, with little external pressure to be seen from an outsider, so it's just base-pandering and no one with a brain takes it even remotely seriously. The city can do whatever the hell it wants with the items on its own property.
I just saw that there was another vandalism thing that happened to the statue in Montreal.
They just need to tear these things down already before it actually becomes an incident.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017

JdeM has a bunch of columnists applauding him all weekend. I doubt they are the only paper doing it. He probably marked some points with specific groups. He's also playing the victim saying media are deforming what he said.

Pretty amazing how Scheer is letting this keep going. His PR pretty much said he disapproved it but he keeps letting him go wild. Either you endorse or you don't.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
JdeM has a bunch of columnists applauding him all weekend. I doubt they are the only paper doing it. He probably marked some points with specific groups. He's also playing the victim saying media are deforming what he said.

Pretty amazing how Scheer is letting this keep going. His PR pretty much said he disapproved it but he keeps letting him go wild. Either you endorse or you don't.
Scheer has the opposite approach to Harper. Harpo locked down dissent and said they all followed him. Scheer lets the crazy out and then says hey at least its not me, amirite?

Boldstrategycotton.gif

Like i said before, Scheer has to flop around Bernier because he cant appear to side with Trudeau 'and the libs', but he can't afford to lose centrist/not-racist votes by appearing more openly racist than his partys platform already is either.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

JdeM is full of columnists writing op-eds on Reverse Racism

check out Richard Martineau's latest trash

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2018/08/19/les-nouveaux-racistes

PKP's tabloide paper is trash

and

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2018/08/18/maxime-bernier-a-raison

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

I mean, posting the tweet in english and French is itself political correctness.

This whole thing reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where George looks at a half eaten eclair in the trash and thinks he may as well take a bite out of it. In this case it's Bernier honking the Lietch playbook is worth another go. Who knows though political climate is different now under a Trump presidency.

This is all so stupid.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, posting the tweet in english and French is itself political correctness.

This whole thing reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where George looks at a half eaten eclair in the trash and thinks he may as well take a bite out of it. In this case it's Bernier honking the Lietch playbook is worth another go. Who knows though political climate is different now under a Trump presidency.

This is all so stupid.
Far be it from a far-right thinking conservative to not understand what political correctness actually is/implies

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Oh but they can. A staple of conservative thinking is getting your cake, eating it, complaining that someone ate it, getting more cake, and then complaining about anyone else getting any cake because taxpayers have to pay for that cake.

Whataboutism and outrage are also cornerstones.

They'll complain about PC culture, while getting people like Obrai saying "diversity is good!", and cast as big a net as possible to catch both racists and fiscally conservative people.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
CPC will have to choose.

keeping visible minorities who agree on social and fiscal conservatism onside with the CPC or embrace White Supremacy Alt-Right

2011 was a success for them, 2015 was a failure.
2011, they courted heavily ethnic communities trying to match their traditional values with conservative values.
2015, LOL pissed it all away on a gamble of Right Wing Quebec Nationalism on religious wardrobe banning.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
CPC will have to choose.

keeping visible minorities who agree on social and fiscal conservatism onside with the CPC or embrace White Supremacy Alt-Right

2011, they courted heavily ethnic communities trying to match their traditional values with conservative values.
2015, LOL pissed it all away on a gamble of Right Wing Quebec Nationalism on religious wardrobe banning.

Recent minority immigrants won't care that they're alt-right -- a large number of them will vote conservative regardless because they hold some self-delusion that their party will uphold their values and traditions for some reason. I see this in the Chinese community every day. The CPC are not their friends, and will only dogwhistle for their votes.

I vote left because they actually push for policies that *are* closer to Chinese traditionalism: taking care of our families, elderly, and our neighbours.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017

Hot take from BC (currently on fire):

Whether or not the fact that we've had two summers in a row of haze from extreme forest fires is related to climate change or some other cause, I bet that the general public is going to blame climate change, and I could very much see this impacting the popularity of the Kinder Morgan pipeline.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fucking christ, how brain-dead is this dipshit. As if we needed more reasons to hate that trashy tabloid and this blowhard demagogue...

He follows the pattern seen with the worst ones from the US demagogues. He was left all the way when he was younger but there was no money to make there. He wrote in papers like Voir and Séquences magazine which are small indies publications. He even wrote essays for Boréal Édition (one even about baby boomers and what they've unleashed). He isn't brain dead for sure, evil definitely though. He simply understood it's easier to make money from hate than progressive ideas right now. He's also frequently on Québec's city thrash radio where the hosts make 400k$ + for vomitting hatred.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Hot take from BC (currently on fire):

Whether or not the fact that we've had two summers in a row of haze from extreme forest fires is related to climate change or some other cause, I bet that the general public is going to blame climate change, and I could very much see this impacting the popularity of the Kinder Morgan pipeline.

Vancouverite here - I was already anti-pipeline, but sign me up for anything that keeps it from being like this in the future. I love sitting on my couch and suffocating.

Scheer has the political instincts of a lemming.

Scheer's such a simpering little weenie. I don't see how anyone could take him seriously on the world stage.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Scheer going after Trudeau over the heckler feels like he's just willingly walking into a trap. We'll see, I guess.

It is a trap. If we are talking about the heckler in QC about "illegal immigrants", social media detective already shown she was a plant from a far-right fringe group and it's not the the first time she's been doing stunts like that.

Letroupeau on twitter made an English version for English readers.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
CPC will have to choose.

And in 2018 they won Ontario with it. Sooooo...

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouverite here - I was already anti-pipeline, but sign me up for anything that keeps it from being like this in the future. I love sitting on my couch and suffocating.

Scheer's such a simpering little weenie. I don't see how anyone could take him seriously on the world stage.
Well now that he's headed to India to repair our relationship after Trudeau's trip, we'll get to see it play out.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/andrew-scheer-india-trip-1.4793154

mintzilla

Nov 6, 2017
Canada
Can some one explain to me what was so "disasterous" about Trudeau's trip to India? I don't get it. It seems like just some made up controversy.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Transcript of Trudeau's exchange with hecklers at Quebec event

What is a Québécois de souche?

Québécois de souche refers to descendants of the original French colonists who settled in New France in the 17th and 18th centuries. It excludes Quebecers of non-French heritage, such as descendants of British colonists, recent immigrants and Indigenous peoples.

TRUDEAU (repeated three times): Madam, your racism has no place here.

BLAIN: Answer me. You have no place in Quebec. Do you understand? You have no place in Quebec.

TRUDEAU: Excuse me, madam. I'm a proud Quebecer, madam, I'm a proud Quebecer.

Am I correct in reading this as the woman telling Trudeau he doesn't belong in Quebec because he isn't racially pure enough?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Australia going through yet another shitshow.
Remember when people said Westminster is supposed to be stable? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.