• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep my tfsa and rrsp are certainly experiencing setbacks at the moment.
Oh good, it's not just me either. 😕

A reminder that we were at one point looking at the NDP forming government in 2015. Ignoring the fact that the two polls that have the CPC with a lead are outliers, a lot can happen between now and the election.

This makes me soooooo happy. Still wish it was Pierre Elliott but I digress.

Also, that sunny ways line was...unexpected.
Remember: Justin Trudeau was quoting Laurier when he proclaimed "Sunny ways" in his victory speech.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Remember: Justin Trudeau was quoting Laurier when he proclaimed "Sunny ways" in his victory speech.
My bad.

Speaking of terrible, the Ford government continues to be so: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-leaves-oma-arbitration-1.4942105
[The government of Premier Doug Ford has pulled out of binding arbitration with the association representing the province's physicians, according to documents obtained by CBC Toronto, citing a "lack of confidence" in the Ontario Medical Association (OMA).

The government informed the OMA of its decision on Monday.

Lawyers representing the OMA say the move is "unprecedented [and] an affront to the rule of law," in a letter obtained by CBC Toronto...

Labour lawyer Muneeza Sheikh with Levitt LLP says the argument by the province is "completely absurd" and "and an abuse of provisional power.

"Under the Arbitration Act, there's a legal obligation to continue within this process and one party, cannot simply even if you're the provincial government pull the plug unilaterally," she told CBC Toronto.

The government's argument that internal labour politics within the OMA disqualifies the entire arbitration process "makes no sense," Sheikh said.

"It is truly setting a dangerous precedent," she added.

Should the province not return to arbitration meetings scheduled for Dec.15, Sheikh says the OMA has multiple legal options, including launching a legal challenge claiming the government is violating the Arbitration Act, or suing for breach of contract over the 2017 deal with the province that set the framework for bargaining.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Re: Civ 5 news. This was a long time coming.

This makes deiety runs a bit easier preventing AI from surprise attacks. Though it also hampers me from ancient era war rushing to gain territory. In lower difficulties.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Mattamy builds fucking garbage. Trash tier McMansions in Ontario and they've moved their piece of shit operation out here as well. Doesn't surprise me they're trying to build Ontario into a flimsy piece of shit to quickly profit off of.

Also; fuck Merit.

Calling Mattamy's sorry excuse of a house "Mcmansion" is a compliment to Mattamy TBH.

I wouldn't wish a Mattamy home on my worst enemy.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Calling Mattamy's sorry excuse of a house "Mcmansion" is a compliment to Mattamy TBH.

I wouldn't wish a Mattamy home on my worst enemy.
True story! McCookie Cutter Shanty more like it. I've heard so many Mattamy horror stories from Calgary/Airdrie and I live in Edmonton lol.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Because what we need now are Doctors doing work to rule. lol
Man, I thought he'd go for the nurses first. Ford of course said hold my buck a beer and went straight for the jugular. God is he inept. He really thinks his small time Toronto council crap is going to work/fly at this level and then he actually goes up against of these groups/unions/etc and he's not able to pull the wool over every ones eyes fast enough and we end up with nonsense like this.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this was released without much fanfare.

Office of the Parliamentary Budget Officer is predicting much bigger deficit than what the government announced.

Fiscal outlook

When put on a comparable basis, projected budgetary deficits in PBO's October Economic and Fiscal Outlook are $8.0 billion (0.4 per cent of GDP) larger, on average, over 2018-19 to 2023-24 compared to the Fall Economic Statement. Incorporating the Government's annual $3 billion risk adjustment narrows this difference to $5 billion. Key discrepancies are attributable to lower income tax revenues ($3.0 billion per year) and GST revenues ($1.0 billion per year), as well as higher operating expenses ($2.4 billion per year).

Unfortunately, Finance Canada does not quantify the underlying components of its operating expense forecast, making it difficult to reconcile between the two outlooks for this category. Parliamentarians may wish to seek a more detailed and quantifiable breakdown of the major cost components within operating expenses in the Fall Economic Statement.

Risks from lower oil prices

Given their recent sharp decline, lower oil prices, in our view, pose a downside risk to the economic and fiscal outlook. Based on recent oil price futures, the price of West Texas Intermediate (WTI) is approximately US$15 per barrel lower, on average, over 2019 to 2023 compared to the forecast in the Fall Economic Statement. We estimate that a reduction in oil prices of this magnitude would lower nominal GDP by $37 billion annually, on average, over 2019 to 2023 and reduce the budgetary balance by $3.5 billion per year, on average, over 2019-20 to 2023-24.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting a bit sick of this deficit talk. I'm aware this will come off a bit selfish but there's so much deficit spending and I don't feel particularly benefited by it. Hopefully others in this thread can chime in about how it's benefiting them otherwise it just worries me that when we see the inevitable recession we are going to be in for a fucking bad time.

I also assume the deficit spending plays a lot into the crazy amount of advertising I hear everyday on the radio from the feds to make sure everyone is reupping on their Canada savings bonds.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm getting a bit sick of this deficit talk. I'm aware this will come off a bit selfish but there's so much deficit spending and I don't feel particularly benefited by it. Hopefully others in this thread can chime in about how it's benefiting them otherwise it just worries me that when we see the inevitable recession we are going to be in for a fucking bad time.

I also assume the deficit spending plays a lot into the crazy amount of advertising I hear everyday on the radio from the feds to make sure everyone is reupping on their Canada savings bonds.

And you would be completely valid in thinking that. Half the reason we have the fucking thing Federally, and in most provinces Provincially as well, is because we keep on kneecapping ourselves by lowering taxes, or making new taxes revenue neutral off of a moving, decreasing target that ultimately results in us kneecapping ourselves. If we stopped doing this years ago, we would be nowhere close to a deficit right now. A lot of it is structural in nature.

But alas, things are the way they are, and at the very least Federally we seem to be putting the deficit money to good usage by building new Transit and Infrastructure. And granted we aren't going as far as we should be to eliminate some major bottlenecks in our economy around the logistics of making it easier to move people and products around, we are making progress. Even if minor.

And while Alberta bitches and moans about Oil movement and them losing billions from not being able to move that, Ontario, for decades, has been dealing with Toronto, The GTA and Companies in the region bitching and moaning about gridlock on the 401 which costs the country billions

But still. The same old arguments apply. Interest rates are low, the debt is manageable, yadayadayada. You've probably heard it a million times already. Just have to tune out of the discussions about it, because they are only there to rile you up about a problem that right now, is nowhere close to critical, let alone existing.

Last edited:

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Lol yes, bitching about oil prices is second nature out here. I should have applied some critical thinking to my venting earlier; there's a hospital going up in two years or so about 5 minutes from my house and obviously the federal government is chipping in big bucks for that. Without deficit spending maybe that project would be one that wouldn't happen. I believe they're also chipping in money for the LRT extension in Edmonton that will pop down that way as well, and both of those things should bring a bump in my property value.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Lol yes, bitching about oil prices is second nature out here. I should have applied some critical thinking to my venting earlier; there's a hospital going up in two years or so about 5 minutes from my house and obviously the federal government is chipping in big bucks for that. Without deficit spending maybe that project would be one that wouldn't happen. I believe they're also chipping in money for the LRT extension in Edmonton that will pop down that way as well, and both of those things should bring a bump in my property value.

My own take on that logic is more about how investing in public infrastructure often seems to lead to deficit and how it's accepted as natural. Some hospitals and schools are aging badly and provinces will need to invest a lot to refresh them and the population is also aging which means it requires more services and more healthcare and thus more spending. It seems more like we are shoveling forward the bill to the next generations just like baby boomers did to us and no one thought about putting money asides/investing to keep public infrastructure at a good quality level.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely take your point there Vamphuntr if memory serves Calgary was pissed they're only getting one hospital instead of two, and they aren't wrong to be upset. Upkeep never seems to be a priority for government because there are no ribbon cutting and breaking ground ceremonies I guess.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely take your point there Vamphuntr if memory serves Calgary was pissed they're only getting one hospital instead of two, and they aren't wrong to be upset. Upkeep never seems to be a priority for government because there are no ribbon cutting and breaking ground ceremonies I guess.

Yup. The government opted to build a new hospital instead of replacing the Mis.

For those that don't live in the Edmonton region, the Mis is the Misericordia Hospital, and is so old and ill-maintained that the ER and various areas have to be shut down due to flooding and other such things.

The stuff you see in there is sometimes straight out of a dystopian novel.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
The Mis is such a scabby old beast.

I don't understand why replacing the Mis would be such an endeavor. The old hospital is only a few stories with reasonable facilities. The replacement doesn't have to be cutting edge.

That goes back to the point of government projects needing ceremony and ribbon cutting. A hospital is supposed to provide services and space, not glamour.

And people wonder why there's a bed shortage in Alberta.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't understand why replacing the Mis would be such an endeavor. The old hospital is only a few stories with reasonable facilities. The replacement doesn't have to be cutting edge.

That goes back to the point of government projects needing ceremony and ribbon cutting. A hospital is supposed to provide services and space, not glamour.

And people wonder why there's a bed shortage in Alberta.
I feel like there really should be a Provincial Agency whose sole job is to determine need and get projects built, outside of political interference. Something like the Federal Infrastructure Bank, but with a more dedicated source of funding that doesn't just rely on courting Private Sector investment.

Like the reason Metrolinx is so effective in Ontario is because for the most part, they stay out of political decisions and are just a Money In Result Out organization where given their set budget they will plan, build or repair Public Transit. And yeah, while Metrolinx has its problems, but it is getting things done and keeping things in the public agenda. Things are finally getting built under them.

Last edited:

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
In other news, the BC NDP is looking to pick up from where the Ontario NDP failed. Premier John Horgan opens door to including dental coverage within B.C.'s health care system

B.C. Premier John Horgan is not opposed to the idea of the province covering dental care as part of the provincial health care system. Horgan was asked about the issue as part of a year-end interview with Global News.

"We have been looking at it and hopefully we will be able to do something about it in the next budget," Horgan said.

** Some stuff about the Ontario NDP Plan **

British Columbia's Medical Service Plan (MSP) premiums currently cover medically necessary services provided by physicians and midwives, dental and oral surgery performed in a hospital, eye examinations that are medically required and some orthodontic services. Horgan said that his own experience has made it clear to him how important dental services are.

"I got my two front teeth knocked out playing basketball when I was a kid and it meant that I was always tentative about smiling. Dental care, dental health is critically important to physical well-being as well as mental well-being," Horgan said. "I believe it's an area we need to move into with kids and get good habits with good oral hygiene and make sure that is funded."

In 2008, the Union of B.C. Municipalities (UBCM) supported a motion to ask the province to take immediate steps to remove access barriers to dental health care, allocate more funding for basic dental health care insurance for low income individuals and families in the province, and work with the BC Dental Association to resolve the discrepancy between the BC Dental Fee guide and the actual fees charged by dentists. In 2018, UBCM discussed requiring the Ministry of Health to add basic dental care to MSP coverage and to have B.C. mandate a provincial requirement for all public water source treatment to include fluoridation where naturally-occurring levels do not meet the minimum suggested level of 0.07mg/L.

Hopefully BC can succeed and do good by it's populace where the rest of the country has turned a blind eye and failed to admit there is even a problem to begin with.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Moody's downgrades Ontario's credit rating

Bond rating agency Moody's has downgraded the province of Ontario's credit rating.

The agency announced the downgrade from Aa3 to Aa2 on Thursday, citing the province's $14.5-billion deficit in 2018-2019 and projections that it will continue to post deficits in the coming years.

Moody's said the combination of increased debt and slow revenue growth will result in a faster than previously anticipated increase of the province's debt burden.

The agency said the province will be subject to greater impact of interest rates increases, which it projects to jump over the next three to five years.

Finance Minister Vic Fedeli blamed the previous Liberal government for creating the circumstances that have led to the credit downgrade.

But Moody's also said that actions taken by the current government to reduce revenue levels will add to the budgetary pressures facing the province.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting read on how the "Five Eyes" have been working to destroy Huawei with a key decision being made at a dinner in Nova Scotia. It puts things into perspective with the recent arrest and the US gloating.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
What's the end game with China though? We still need them for all our cheap shit, and they still need us to buy all their cheap shit, so we just keep having these public pissing matches where people do a song and dance to stroke their own citizens' nationalist sentiments?

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Wynne forcing the Ford PC's to cut revenue, they knew even while in power theyd force heir PC successors to be economic morons those devils!

Interesting read on how the "Five Eyes" have been working to destroy Huawei with a key decision being made at a dinner in Nova Scotia. It puts things into perspective with the recent arrest and the US gloating.
Interesting read, but it makes me think they're going to arrest a lot more Canadians for bs reasons in the near future

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Huwawei should be banned from Canada, they are espionage devices

I can't believe that they are permitted to plaster their adverts all over Hockey Night in Canada and in our Subway/Metro stations

this puts into question big money incoming from despotic dictatorships and how they skew Western Democracies when a dollars get sprinkled to blur our vision.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Huwawei should be banned from Canada, they are espionage devices

I can't believe that they are permitted to plaster their adverts all over Hockey Night in Canada and in our Subway/Metro stations

this puts into question big money incoming from despotic dictatorships and how they skew Western Democracies when a dollars get sprinkled to blur our vision.
Is there any actual evidence they're as bad as recent press makes them seem?

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Global are hacks. Had no idea there were anti UN protests happening downtown here though. And lmao at global saying "about half the protestors were right leaning. The other half was left leaning!"... both sides!!

Nah. He actually supports what the ABNDP annouced recently for midwives.
Hmm. Interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing what he actually supports compared to what he says he supports.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any actual evidence they're as bad as recent press makes them seem?

Definitely not but I think the answer lies in switching perspective around and what we know of previous experiences. Pretty sure it means Samsung and Apple phones can actually spy on you and the government around the world have a way to get what they want from them. It was possible with Blackberry and when the info went public it kind of helped (among other problems) in killing the company. So it's definitely possible. Hence the possibility that China, the obvious next superpower will use the 5G network to its advantage. China is actually spying in Universities around the world and stealing patent. Recently a teacher at McGill's was accused of spying for China for instance.

Huawei is on a big marketing push right now in Canada both in English and French media with printed ads in newpapers, ads on TV, ads on PT and even online.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
nothing is 100% Private in China without having the Communist Party of China on the hook.

Ren Zhengfei (Huwawei founder) has ties with China's military and the Communist Party.
Is there a difference between being a member of the Community Party in China and paying for thousand dollar dinners with Scheer or Trudeau?
People keep saying "false equivalency" as a way to deflect against criticism of the corporate-political oligarchies that exist in Western Democracies, but it's all the same shell game.

I still don't understand why Bell, Rogers, and Telus aren't considered in collusion and manipulating the telecom market for example.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Is there a difference between being a member of the Community Party in China and paying for thousand dollar dinners with Scheer or Trudeau?
People keep saying "false equivalency" as a way to deflect against criticism of the corporate-political oligarchies that exist in Western Democracies, but it's all the same shell game.

I still don't understand why Bell, Rogers, and Telus aren't considered in collusion and manipulating the telecom market for example.
Bell and Rogers are not on the hook with the Chinese Military and Espionage

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Global are hacks. Had no idea there were anti UN protests happening downtown here though. And lmao at global saying "about half the protestors were right leaning. The other half was left leaning!"... both sides!!

Hmm. Interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing what he actually supports compared to what he says he supports.

Since when has Global not been terrible? They're easily the worst out of the major broadcasters.

And yes, worse than CTV.

Status
Not open for further replies.