• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes he says he wants in as soon as possible, other times he says he'll wait until 2019. His challenge is that there aren't a tonne of safe NDP incumbents. In the old place, someone suggested Don Davies' riding in BC, and that seems like one of the few good fits, but Davies is pretty active, and it doesn't seem like he'd be up for stepping aside any time soon.
That was me. I suggested either Davies or Kwan's ridings, which are very solidly NDP and the sort of area that Singh is meant to appeal to.

Singh could announce his intent to run elsewhere in the 2019 election and just be using the Vancouver seat as a placeholder, at which point the old MP could reclaim it; there's a long tradition of that happening, e.g. Scott Brison temporary vacating Kings-Hants so that Joe Clark could run there; Fernand Robichaud taking a hiatus from Beausejour to make room for Jean Chretien; Elmer Mackay letting Mulroney have his seat for about a year.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
17-10_sondage-provincial.svg

http://www.ledevoir.com/politique/q...ce-dans-un-sondage-sur-les-intentions-de-vote

Quebec poll: CAQ takes the lead at 34%, Libs dip to 29%, PQ sinks to 20% (historic low), and QS stabilizes at 12%.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Why would Quebecers vote conservative like that? Isn't the CPC on the opposite side of the spectrum to most people in Quebec?
the CAQ never officially declared themselves as "Conservative" or "Right Wing". Th CAQ though has openly affirmed to be "Nationaliste"
it is like nobody wants to admit that they are Right Wing when they really are.

But you can't blame Quebecers wanting an alternative. With the exception of the Marois minority interuption, the Qc Liberals have governed since 2003. I as a Federalist find it really hard to find any enthousiasm in voting for them, imagine someone who is "Nationaliste".

14 years of fatigue is understandable.

the base that keep the Liberals alive are Seniors. But lots of misteps in Healthcare and government run senior care facilities might cause seniors to dump the Qc Liberals. Despite the economy doing really really well

Last edited:

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
It's a shame that the western rights movement is dominated by the right.

The west gets a raw deal but I'd rather not vote in a bunch of corporatists who'd probably not even do anything about the raw deal the west gets.

Deleted member 12950

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Speaking of, Jason Kenney just won the leadership race, which I can't say I'm terribly fucking thrilled about

I had expected Kenney to get a lot more than 61% in the leadership race but it's not like I was following things out there.

Even if the UCP do end up winning the next election I'm hopeful that the carbon tax will end up remaining in place in Alberta. The majority of households get money back in the rebate and many of those are actually better off. Meanwhile Alberta's huge deficit means I don't think a Kenney government can simply scrap it and resort to Ralphbucks from the general treasury to make up for getting rid of the rebate.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Why would Quebecers vote conservative like that? Isn't the CPC on the opposite side of the spectrum to most people in Quebec?
Jean Charest screwed the Liberals for potentially a long while.

I don't think people like the CAQ; more that they are looking for the best thing if not voting Liberal.
That's what happened with Marois and that's what will keep happening now that the Liberals are perceived as tied to fraud.

image06.jpg

(well, until we forget)

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

I don't think people like the CAQ; more that they are looking for the best thing if not voting Liberal.
That's what happened with Marois and that's what will keep happening now that the Liberals are perceived as tied to fraud.

image06.jpg

(well, until we forget)
screwed how? What did Charest do exactly that was soooo bad?

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

image06.jpg

(well, until we forget)
Why not go with NDP? This reminds me of Bernie supporters going to conservative candidates as possible voting options.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
With the news this week that the new norm is 300k immigrants it's really gotten racist whites all up in arms.

Went over to r/Canada to check out the thread and holy fuck did those alt right pieces of shit come out of the woodwork.

More immigration can't come soon enough

Deleted member 4372

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the news this week that the new norm is 300k immigrants it's really gotten racist whites all up in arms.

Went over to r/Canada to check out the thread and holy fuck did those alt right pieces of shit come out of the woodwork.

Yeah I'm with you dude. Honestly, I think in some twisted, shitty way, it's a good thing that racists are coming out and exposing themselves. My hope is that some of them will be receptive to criticism of their beliefs, and maybe do some work to change.

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa, Canada

Just because Quebec doesn't vote Conservative, it doesn't mean the province doesn't have a conservative streak. Pre-Quiet Revolution, it had one of the most conservative governments in Canada under the Union Nationale. During the '60s and '70s, it was the last bastion of the social credit movement (though that was partly because the party's leader was pretty popular). The Bloc and PQ may have channelled that nationalist feeling in a more liberal direction, but in the last decade or so there's been the ADQ and now CAQ -- not aligned with the CPC, but definitely right-leaning. Montreal may be a progressive city, but Quebec City definitely isn't, and there are a lot of rural areas in the province too.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
His hard stance against students lost the youth vote and being the figurehead, the corruption is also seen as his fault - his actual involvement (if any) in that though I don't think we'll ever know.
Oh I see, the special privledged students.

well Marois is the one who screwed them after she was elected, not Charest.

All Charest did was remove the tution freeze and increase it incremintally per inflation with incremintela increase.
+Charest gave TAX BENEFITS to students and students' families as deductables.

Marois however did re-apply the tuition Freeeze But But here is something that you don't talk about. She abolished the TAX BENEFITS to sutdents and students' families. So you ended PAYING MORE with Marois than with Charest come Tax Time.

Who screwed Quebec? it was Marois, the Unions, the Sudent Activists who used the Tution Protests as a Coup d'état to remove Charest.
Where are the students now? where are they now? LOL
Two of them ran as PQ MNAs one was elected "Leo Bureau-Blouin" as a PQ MNA lolololol. Martine Desjardins ran as PQ candidate in the following election but was defeated when the PQ minority lost their gambit.

the students were USED by Marois, not helped.

Last edited:

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the culture of the Quebec student body seems to be that they will riot at the drop of a hat if anyone touches anything about tuition or related things.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Well, the culture of the Quebec student body seems to be that they will riot at the drop of a hat if anyone touches anything about tuition or related things.
and it was more poltically motivated than actually student motivated. Workers Unions teamed up with the PQ and the student assocations to remove Charest.

as soon as Marois won her minority, the Workers Unions abandonned the student associations and the students were left to fend for themsevles without the direct money piling in from the workers unions.

hence, used

exo

Oct 28, 2017
Newfoundland, Canada
I don't know if this is talked about much outside of Newfoundland, but the Lower Churchill project will bleed us dry for decades. Everything from Muskrat Falls itself, to the Maritime Link, and everything in between is going to end up putting us further and further in debt. The province is likely never to see a profit on the project, and estimates are billions and billions over budget that we simply don't have. Honestly, Nalcor should be investigated for fraud, especially after the CEO resigned and had a massive severance package. Luckily Dwight Ball's trying to pass a bill to make Nalcor more transparent, but we should be looking at a government buyout. The NL population is plummeting, all the students are seeking work outside of the province. The most populous demographic is the seniors, and once time catches up with the stage we've set, we're going to have a potential crisis on our hands. Unless Nalcor is stopped or changed substantially, Newfoundland is going to go bankrupt within the next 50 years.

Anyways, whattaya at b'ys?

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Montreal Mayoral is come Sunday.
Dark horse candidate Valerie Plante has taken the lead (2 points) in the latest polls ahead of condescending-arrogant ambulance chaser Dennis Coderre.

http://www.iheartradio.ca/cjad/news...oderre-not-panicking-plante-excited-1.3398071

Plante is likeable, human and humble.

Since this year it's a 2 person race, it makes vote splitting less likely then 4 years ago.

"but gutter, you are Liberal, don't you like Coderre?" No, I loath him, he is part of the "Dark-Side" of the Liberal family and every negative stereotype about liberals.

Stupid 3 million dollar granite stumps and passengerless ferris wheel

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Labeling Laws and Occupied Grapes

So it seems a Manitoba professor is going to fight a CFIA ruling that equates a trade agreement and labeling laws - Israeli wine made in the occupied territories being labeled as 'Made in Israel'.
I don't see the government helping his cause any, but the courts might.

I personally agree with his view. If it's made in Palestine and/or wherever the West Bank is considered, it shouldn't say "Israel" on it.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Plante wins. She would also have the honor of being the first woman mayor of Montréal, unless I'm mistaken?

Nay

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So happy I found this thread, I was looking in EtcetERA and couldn't find it and feared it hadn't transitioned over. I was a long time lurker of the old thread and thought it was wonderful.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

This is where you guys are hiding!

Yah i don't bother with r/canada. It's a shit hole. Much of reddit is but ever since the last election it's more rebel friendly than ever before.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I hope Plante wins. She would also have the honor of being the first woman mayor of Montréal, unless I'm mistaken?
she would be the first :D

I'm a Liberal and I don't like Coderre.

i have listened to Mme Plante on the radio several times, she is on the good-side. I'm voting for her.

Coderre's demagoguery and his talking points are a real bummer on top of his arrogance and egomania.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/just-under-half-of-formula-e-tickets-were-giveaways-1.4381808

After months of repeated requests, the organizers of Montreal's controversial Formula E electric car race have finally revealed how many of the 45,000 people who attended the event actually paid for their tickets — and how many received freebies.

Last edited:
I was thinking on this recently: among the many reasons Canadian politics is better than American politics on a structural level, an underappreciated factor is the degree to which federal and provincial politics remain actual separate ecosystems. In this day and age, to a great extent all voting in US politics is guided by what voters think of the incumbent president, which is why presidents' parties haemorrhage seats downballot in midterms even at the state legislative level. While people here always question what any given provincial election signals about the federal atmosphere and vice versa, provincial governments are evaluated by the electorates on their own merits, by and large.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Yup, I agree Sean C. I like it that that most are seperate without affiliation. unlike the US and some countries in Europe, I am happy that the municiapl level is disconnected completely from Provincial party affiliation or Federal party affiliation.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/...-makes-it-almost-impossible-to-blaze-anywhere

This is such a fiasco. It's actually going to make using pot even more criminal. This is what happens when you put a former cop on the docket instead of a public health nurse or something. Basically, there's going to be no place to smoke, and if you smoke in the wrong place it's a steep fine. Not only that, but there's nothing for edibles right now. This is just awful.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/...-makes-it-almost-impossible-to-blaze-anywhere

This is such a fiasco. It's actually going to make using pot even more criminal. This is what happens when you put a former cop on the docket instead of a public health nurse or something. Basically, there's going to be no place to smoke, and if you smoke in the wrong place it's a steep fine. Not only that, but there's nothing for edibles right now. This is just awful.
IMO, weed smoking restrictions in public spaces should match the same tabacco smoking restrictions.

if it is prohibitted to smoke in a public park or public beach, then that goes for all types of smoking.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I am happy that the municipal level is disconnected completely from Provincial party affiliation or Federal party affiliation.

For better or for worse. Great for most municipalities since they have small councils. Though I do think that once you get to a city of over a million, or even closer to Toronto in size having a party system would benefit them more often than not just because of the sheer mass of the bureaucracy and how easy it is for Politicians to slip through the cracks or get re-elected based off of name rather than policies. Or the councilors straight up not cooperating to get policies passed for the good of the city as a whole.

It really is baffling how they have gone about this the absolute wrong way. The fact that they are allowing Smoking, the most harmful way of doing Marijuana while keeping the safest form, edibles banned is straight up insane.

Like, I get the fine and illegalities for smoking in public because they do the same for tobacco, but they should have seriously just done the method that only affects a single person and anyone they physically feed the food to before they worked on the more wider dangerous form of smoking which has the chance of causally affecting others by proximity

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
with respect to weed, i've been breaking the law long enough, so i'm not horribly worried about breaking more in terms of public smoking, lmao. who would have thought that our elected narcs wouldn't understand how to write reasonable weed legislation?

Thing is, some cops see some people smoking weed, they think, "not worth the paperwork." Now it's a bylaw officer walking around Ossington at 11:45 handing out tickets like candy.

exo

Oct 28, 2017
Newfoundland, Canada
Thing is, some cops see some people smoking weed, they think, "not worth the paperwork." Now it's a bylaw officer walking around Ossington at 11:45 handing out tickets like candy.
Ever since they said citizens "can possess 30 grams... or four plants", I've been laughing off most of the regulatory shit-flurry leading up to legalization, especially since cops in Newfoundland are still going to be focused on the real concern of drunk drivers. It's going to suck in Ontario when it first becomes legal, since the public eye is going to be focused on it with so much scrutiny.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since they said citizens "can possess 30 grams... or four plants", I've been laughing off most of the regulatory shit-flurry leading up to legalization, especially since cops in Newfoundland are still going to be focused on the real concern of drunk drivers. It's going to suck in Ontario when it first becomes legal, since the public eye is going to be focused on it with so much scrutiny.
I can just imagine that Patrick Brown and the PC party will make more reasonable legislation /s
It's going to suck, but over time they'll have to bow to pressure.

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I think you should assume that legislation today is a starting point, not the end result. I imagine it will evolve a lot faster once pot legislation is enacted than it has over the past 45 years, since they'll be reacting to real life consequences, rather than a blanket condemnation.

I was thinking on this recently: among the many reasons Canadian politics is better than American politics on a structural level, an underappreciated factor is the degree to which federal and provincial politics remain actual separate ecosystems. In this day and age, to a great extent all voting in US politics is guided by what voters think of the incumbent president, which is why presidents' parties haemorrhage seats downballot in midterms even at the state legislative level. While people here always question what any given provincial election signals about the federal atmosphere and vice versa, provincial governments are evaluated by the electorates on their own merits, by and large.

It's pretty remarkable that it's evolved this way. I think it's a little different in Ontario because a) the federal Liberals are so closely tied to the Ontario Liberals, and b) Ontarians generally have less of a regional identity than anywhere else in the country, but even so, even here we've generally been able to separate out federal and provincial politics.

The fact few politicians made the jump between the two levels in the past probably helped keep them separate, so it'll be interesting to see what impact people like Kenney, Singh, Brown, etc. have in the long run.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
So now this whole scandal has turned to the person in charge of ethics. I wonder if both parties will just be happy to have her fired because they're equally screwed by all of this financial stuff.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So there's a school principle somewhere who dressed up a his idol: Bob Marley, complete in his usual outfit... and a fucking blackface. The guy put on some actual make-up to make his skin black, not knowing that it's extremely offense to do so. Of course there are articles about it, and I shit you not, I'm seeing the same intellectually dishonest argument that "the right" uses to defend the practice, whereby "blackface used to steal black jobs and mock blacks is an American practice, so that argument doesn't work here".

Like, what the fuck do you answer to that except with a "you are a fucking moron"? I can't believe this shit.

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
So there's a school principle somewhere who dressed up a his idol: Bob Marley, complete in his usual outfit... and a fucking blackface. The guy put on some actual make-up to make his skin black, not knowing that it's extremely offense to do so. Of course there are articles about it, and I shit you not, I'm seeing the same intellectually dishonest argument that "the right" uses to defend the practice, whereby "blackface used to steal black jobs and mock blacks is an American practice, so that argument doesn't work here".

Like, what the fuck do you answer to that except with a "you are a fucking moron"? I can't believe this shit.

I looked it up and, as I guessed, this took place in Quebec. It does seem to be a thing where not everybody there is aware of why blackface is offensive, especially the older crowd. But very glad that the students took notice and called him out on this. I do have to wonder how someone isn't aware at this point in time that this is a problem but I think it shows good character that he listened to the students and removed the costume/makeup. As long as people are learning, I'll count it as some sort of win.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
he's a Vice-Principle in a High School, out of all people. He should be the last one the plead ignorance about blackface.
2ndly, this was not in the burbs nor the boonies, this was in the city of Montreal . Where thousands of Haitian-Canadians children have been going to schools here for over 40+ years.
What kind of Vice-Principale in a multi-cultural school doesn't get that? He's a moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.