• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nah this is a "made in Canada" wholly completely disfunctional turn of events.

Parliament, all MPs regardless of party affiliation are supposed to keep the cabinet in check. What has developed in Canada is that MPs are useless whipped pawns of the PMO office.

Coyne is 100% correct in the At Issue. The core issue here, which isn't even denied (!!!), is that the PMO ruthlessly and inappropriately pressured the AG and now she's been shuffled out of her role and then caucus because the PMO didn't get its way. Why Philpott was dumped I don't even know, I assume simply for disagreeing with the PM. Who cares about the 'optics.' This is incredibly inappropriate behaviour.

If this was Harper doing this everyone would be up in arms at this behaviour, but because the 'teams' are switched now we have people cheerleading this inappropriate overreach from the PMO. It's gross honestly.

Thank you for saying this. Regardless of whether one agrees with how the LPC is or has handled this situation, it should not be forgotten where this all stemmed from, regardless of how much worse the CPC would be in a position of power and regardless of the fact that they would do the same (if not, worse) if placed in the same position/circumstances.

If better is always possible, then one should expect better.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Acting like there's no distinction to be drawn between taking a position contrary to the government as a backbencher and a cabinet minister using (by her own admittance) unethical tactics to reverse a course of action the PMO has decided on isn't giving a serious assessment of what happened. It's not like she was turfed right after calling for an investigation or appearing in front of committee.

Given how ineffectual and behind the ball the PMO has been through this entire episode it is by no means self evident that the PMO imposed this desire on the liberal caucus as opposed to waiting until their hand was forced.. You might still feel that this shows a unconscionable lack of principle on the part of the liberal caucus to hold that position in the first place but let's be real, you already felt that way for other reasons.

Last edited:

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Is it too late for the Liberals to ban weed, then dangle legalizing weed for if they get reelected in 2019?

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
So many privledged people okay with a Scheer government

Lmao at this disingenuous false dilemma.

This whole issue would have been easily avoidable in 1000 different ways if Trudeau and the PMO had simply told the truth, come clean, and apologized for overreaching instead of lying and fabricating a dozen illogical excuses.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Lmao at this disingenuous false dilemma.

This whole issue would have been easily avoidable in 1000 different ways if Trudeau and the PMO had simply told the truth, come clean, and apologized for overreaching instead of lying and fabricating a dozen illogical excuses.
You people won't stop saying those platitudes but what is the truth?
What are the facts?
What is it with these fuddle duddle delusions of grandiose righteousness?

What is The End Game?

Seriously, two months of this shit,
Two months!

Back up your proof. What is the point?

Come clean lol. Nothing dirty happened.

JWR is insane in the head, delusional, she made up a pretence that doesn't exist about the reasons of her shuffling

Last edited:

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
apparently, JWR had enough time in two months to make enough damage to have brainwashed MPs from BC to side with her and was prepping for a Civil War.

This was NOT about SNC Lavelin. This was all about a butthurt employee who was not happy with her shuffle and wanted to take over as PM, it was a coup.

Deleted member 12950

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So I guess people having principles is so foreign to the Natural Governing Party™ that its supporters assume that giving up a powerful position and all the perks that come with it is done to grab more power?

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
apparently, JWR had enough time in two months to make enough damage to have brainwashed MPs from BC to side with her and was prepping for a Civil War.

This was NOT about SNC Lavelin. This was all about a butthurt employee who was not happy with her shuffle and wanted to take over as PM, it was a coup.

Nobody is this dumb to think this was an attempted coup. Come on, seriously.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
So I guess people having principles is so foreign to the Natural Governing Party™ that its supporters assume that giving up a powerful position and all the perks that come with it is done to grab more power?
Fuck ideologues,
Nobody is this dumb to think this was an attempted coup. Come on, seriously.
A) she never quit the party
B) lost confidence in the PM
C) played backroom politicking brainwashing Western MPs to side with her

Traitor

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
CBC Edmonton reporting this morning on a poll of 900 people that points to the UCP winning every seat in Alberta outside of Edmonton.

Eric Grenier's poll tracker (I know, I know) has UCP sitting at a 99% chance of winning a majority.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
CBC Edmonton reporting this morning on a poll of 900 people that points to the UCP winning every seat in Alberta outside of Edmonton.

Eric Grenier's poll tracker (I know, I know) has UCP sitting at a 99% chance of winning a majority.
with so many Provincial Governments veering Right cross country, this is wake up call to not allow it to happen Federally come October

a warning call to people of privilege who are okay with Scheer

Last edited:

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

Has Grenier been accurate in the past? I seem to recall that people were criticizing his methodology in previous elections..

edit: Also, I doubt that poll is accurate because the Lethbridge ridings have been polling pretty well for the NDP.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Gutter hit the nail on the head. He just gets the average basically. He certainly isn't Nate Silver lol.

Also worth mentioning that the poll of 900 participants I mentioned was funded by a petroleum consortium or something along those lines. Seemed a bit suspect to me but that could be me looking for a reason to discredit it because it doesn't tell me what I want to hear.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Gutter hit the nail on the head. He just gets the average basically. He certainly isn't Nate Silver lol.

Also worth mentioning that the poll of 900 participants I mentioned was funded by a petroleum consortium or something along those lines. Seemed a bit suspect to me but that could be me looking for a reason to discredit it because it doesn't tell me what I want to hear.

It doesn't seem to be on CBC Edmonton's website yet so I'll give it a read once it appears...

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
looks like Facebook nutters are going to hand UCP the win.

40 and 50 year olds who go about Facebook believing everything they read are the ones getting suckered in by the Pro Pipeline Propaganda and just a bunch of sheep. Facebook is ripe for the Far Right nutters

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At Issue was really good last night. Coyne was on point and Raj keeps bringing up a good point that we eventually will have to ask whether JWR and Philpot were simply utterly naive or have a personal agenda at play.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
At Issue was really good last night. Coyne was on point and Raj keeps bringing up a good point that we eventually will have to ask whether JWR and Philpot were simply utterly naive or have a personal agenda at play.
Coyne is a blind ideologue.
Raj is a realist.

in what world and in employment, what that shit be tolerated for so long?

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Hey today at the House of Commons there's a 'Daughters of the Vote" event on. Let's see what's happening...

Well no surprise that the Conservatives would have some trouble with the young women vote in 2019.

Oh.

Deleted member 15948

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glance at CBC... "Trudeau defends his feminist credentials after tossing 2 women from Liberal caucus" headline... I'm in physical pain from how hard my eyes rolled.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Just read the new Alberta Poll story. Who on earth is this Janet Brown and is she a credible pollster?

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
The only solution is for Trudeau to throw out 2 male MPs. Because it's 2019.

I'm so confused. I don't know if I'm impersonating an incel shithead or an antifa marxist. Identity politic is broken

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
He courted this by trying to soak up so much credit for not being a total bag of dicks when he was first running. Now would be a really good time to stop trying to salvage his image and lean into the skid.

lol, we're so fucked

May 30, 2018

That's a bit much, if anything they need more funding so that they don't need to appeal to the con base for views

CBC executives need to be replaced with people who understand who pays their bills

CPC = defund CBC, they need to be attacked by the National media

CPC sympathy should not be tolerated by a government news agency

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
the CBC and especially English Canada have given JWR too much credibility for the little evidence and proof she put forth.

"oh, she is a whistle blow!!!"

no, she is not. She is butt hurt that she got shuffled and is putting her ego first.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
of course I am exagrating a bit but c'mon.

CBC never questions JWR motives, her proof or her End Game.

It takes an Althia Raj to slap the reality in David Coyne's face

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The worst part is that I would love to move back home to Windsor and be able to work remotely on my Salary (or hell, even less). But like despite the fact that it is the 21st century and we have Fiber connections, instant access to anybody over the internet, 24/7 365. Too many employers don't want to do it. They want you to be local, to be in the office, you suddenly become the first in line during any layoffs and it in general just feels like an uphill battle to even bring the topic up with them.

In that industry, depending on what your company makes and where they are geographically, they can get subsidies from government when they hire local employees. That's primarily why net-commuting isn't prevalent, they want you local to sop up that tax money to pay your wage.

Damn i was really hoping for Prime minister freeland...

I had no idea it was legal to record private conversations. I gotta take a note of that...

A point of clarity for those not aware: it is legal to record private conversations if you are one of the parties in the conversation. Wire-tapping or recording a conversation you are not a part of is still illegal.

Isn't that what also happened in Saskatchewan? Lol.

Yup. Liberals weren't very popular here to begin with, so there wasn't much lost, but considering the state of the Saskatchewan Party, it does raise eyebrows as to just how invested Liberals are in leftist policy, rather than just using it as a tool to achieve power. It's a benefit to the voter right up until the point where it no longer matters to the party. That'll be a dark day for any Liberal loyalists who have never had to experience that.

Edit: This is dynamic of the Liberal party is also why ranked ballots is also a terrible option for Canada that could yield peculiar results.

Suppose there was a fairly close Conservative, Liberal and NDP race. The NDP do quite well, and receive a plurality of votes in the first round. The Liberals stumble and get a close third and are eliminated. Turns out though that most of the Liberal voters chose Conservative as their second place, so the Conservative party moves up the ranking and in a come from behind victory, defeats the NDP which got the plurality on the first round.

Ranked ballots aren't the issue, but the vote redistribution method. What you've described is simply one method (albeit the most utilized) of several methods to do so, which all produce different results. A Condorcet method of vote redistribution would likely yield a different result in your example, as most Condorcet methods would also have to factor in ALL 2nd-choice votes.

Let's use your example in the context of ranked pairs, a Condorcet method. NDP gets 44% (a plurality, but not a majority), Tories get 26% and Liberals get 25%, with let's say the Greens getting 5%. In ranked pairs, each individual party is pitted against each other with all other parties excluded, with those excluded first-choice votes redistributed.

First contest is Liberals vs. Tories. NDP second-choice votes split in favour of the Liberals primarily, they win the contest. 1 point for Liberals.
Second contest is Liberals vs. NDP. NDP 2nd-choice gets the Green vote and a tiny sliver of Tory vote (I can confirm that 'orange Tories' are an astounding minority, but they exist), putting them at 50.03%, Liberals get 49.97% from 2nd-choice. Contest is decided by less than 10 votes. 1 point for the NDP.
Third is NDP vs. Tories. NDP gets 51% based on how the Liberal vote splits, while the Tories get 49%. 1 more point to the NDP.
Let's assume that the Greens lose every contest they're in. 1 point for Liberals, Tories and NDP.

At the end, the Tories won 1 contest, the Liberals won 2 contests, the NDP won 3. The NDP wins the riding, being the Condorcet winner of the most individual vote contests against each party candidate in isolation.

So, ranked ballots are fine in and of themselves, with the results of them depending entirely on how vote redistribution is handled.

Andrew Coyne's point every election when the conservatives win and people lose their shit about the electorate not being represented.

The push for electoral reform in BC was actual started by BC Liberal voters for the reason you described. So it's not quite that cut-and-dry.

What was the decrease for only consumers? I don't doubt it'll go down as a whole like in BC, just that it'll barely do anything for the end consumer to reduce it themselves.

End consumer behaviours aren't the primary cause of climate change. We collectively have our part to play, but industry is the #1 cause. Giving money back to the consumer is to offset the inevitability that industry will attempt to recover lost costs by raising prices for consumers. But since the consumer carbon tax rebate doesn't get paid out until tax time, the consumer behaves more frugally in the interim and does not consume at the same rate. So it incentivizes industry to find ways to avoid carbon emissions and bring their prices back down to encourage consumer spending.

As an example, the dairy industry. Currently, when milk is picked up from farms in Saskatchewan and Alberta, most of it is put in a tanker trailer destined for pasteurization and packaging, but the tanker trailer ends up in Manitoba or BC, because processing was centralized there to save money. That's a lot of kilometres those semi trucks are driving, but right now, this business model is a lower cost for the industry, because they're not being held financially liable for their carbon emissions driving semi trucks all over creation.

With the carbon tax, because they engaged in this business model, milk and dairy prices will go up when they try and offset the carbon tax cost onto the consumer. The consumer buys for necessity but does not indulge, which inflates their costs in a way that they can't pass on to the consumer without further ramifications to their bottom line. Their centralized processing business model now costs them more than the method they moved away from to save costs, which was pasteurize and package in the province the milk was picked up in and reduce travel time.

So if they can't keep increasing prices without shrinking their market to a point where consumer spending does not offset the cost of the carbon tax, the solution becomes really really obvious.

Doubt the CPC or NDP will risk having JWR amongst their ranks.

She's gonna be lowkey recording everything, lol

I doubt they have much to be concerned about in that regard. The only people who would be paranoid about being recorded are people who are doing things that they're ashamed of or doing something they know isn't right.

Honestly, if the parties don't extend an offer to her, that's just tacit admission that they've got some pretty big skeletons hidden behind a wall of partisanship themselves and they come off as no better than the Liberals. So it'll be interesting to watch and see what happens there.

"traitors"? lol

If Harper did this shit you guys would be foaming at your mouths. lol
There's very little consideration of what happens when the shoe is on the other foot among the populous with regard to politics. It's a hard lesson to learn, so most people refuse to learn it.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017

yep.
In 20 years when they realize the conservatives did nothing for them again maybe they'll give the ndp another shot.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
yep.
In 20 years when they realize the conservatives did nothing for them again maybe they'll give the ndp another shot.
I hate my province sometimes. Notley has been great for the province in so many damn ways but because of things literally out of her control, a party full of legit bigots, racists and sexists led by an Ontario man who literally doesn't give a fuck about Alberta, stands a chance of winning.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hmm...
The UCP also has a 21-point lead in Calgary, with 53 per cent support versus 32 per cent for the NDP, suggests the poll, which was commissioned by the Global Petroleum Show.
Yeah, this pollster definitely doesn't seem like it could be heavily biased.

Status
Not open for further replies.