• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
B-b-but I thought only the white collar Liberals have friends on Bay Street, not the Everyman blue collar conservatives?

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Shell has come out in support as well.

Probably better carbon tax rather than cap and trade.

Plus they can pretend to care about the environment.

In all honesty. They are probably just tired of the boomeranging regulations and are backing it just because they'll have an easier time manipulating the politicians into keeping the rates low, than they would ever be at convincing 70% of the Population that doesn't vote Conservative that Climate Change isn't a problem and that they don't need the extra taxes.

Really, they are probably getting tired of paying the lawyers to relearn the laws and throw out their past plans every couple of years. So as always, it comes back to money.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
SNC-Lavalin whistleblower claiming a different set of bribes being paid, this time using taxpayer money via EDC:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/snc-lavalin-export-development-canada-loans-1.5079922

This was during the Conservatives, but seriously, this company is the gift that keeps on giving.
But it's all about dem JERBS I guess?

It certainly makes all the Tory bluster about how Liberals are in bed with big business blow back on them, especially because no one can claim false equivalence in calling them out for it when it's the same company that's involved. I imagine that hypocrisy being on full display might be the very reason that the story came out in the first place, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
It's almost as if Conservatives are liars, hypocrites, and backstabbers, who only care about using power to disenfranchise their enemies and punish anyone who doesn't follow their bigotry and greed driven credo.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
It certainly makes all the Tory bluster about how Liberals are in bed with big business blow back on them, especially because no one can claim false equivalence in calling them out for it when it's the same company that's involved. I imagine that hypocrisy being on full display might be the very reason that the story came out in the first place, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Voters are too dumb to see the Conservative bullshit and will vote Conservative anyway

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Voters are too dumb to see the Conservative bullshit and will vote Conservative anyway
It's not that they're too dumb (though they are), it's that they don't care.

As has been said about the Republicans to the south, the cruelty is the point. The corruption is the point. The bigotry is the point. That's what conservatives want.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Canada's looking at a Conservative majority.
Conservative acquaintances are very grateful for the kerfuffle and most don't even care about it other than the damage it does.
It's funny that the NDP supporters might have thought they'd get a significant boost from this SNC thing. LOL.
The rise in the PPC isn't so funny though.
Might vote Green next election.

Bt7elKA.jpg

AYtIo7H.jpg

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost as if Conservatives are liars, hypocrites, and backstabbers, who only care about using power to disenfranchise their enemies and punish anyone who doesn't follow their bigotry and greed driven credo.

What they're doing is depressing the Liberal turnout and normalizing corruption.

If people vote for Trudeau it's because they want to stop Scheer, not because he's a great inspirational, "feminist" leader.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Swing voters will happily paint Tories and Liberals with the same corruption brush. If they couldn't do that, they wouldn't be swing voters in the first place, would they? They change teams at the first sight of problems. They don't vote Conservative because they believe in social conservatism, nor do they genuinely believe in progressive causes, they just look for the politician with the highest profile that can pretend to exhibit values counter to whatever problem caused them to flee voting for the government of the age. That lack of understanding of a bigger picture is quite honestly what I find most revolting and infuriating about them. Thankfully, this new wrinkle in the SNC-Lavalin story (which will get a LOT of coverage, due to being related to the biggest news story of the year) and other stories like it in the next 6 months cause these swing voters to re-consider going elsewhere.

And contrary to belief, swing voters are still a prerequisite for Tories to ever reach government in this country, even when the conservative base doesn't stay home and are motivated to go to the polls. Scheer wouldn't feign respectability if that weren't the case.

that's a funny way to say ''voting conservative''
Unless you know where they live and whether or not such a vote is a viable alternative that conforms to the lauded ABC voting strategy, feel free to keep the accusations to yourself.

If you feel like blaming someone for electing Conservatives, start with the 30-40% of the electorate that can't be assed to cast a vote. Because accusations like the one you're making just make it more likely that you've added one more vote left un-cast to that pile.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Unless you know where they live and whether or not such a vote is a viable alternative that conforms to the lauded ABC voting strategy, feel free to keep the accusations to yourself.
Thanks. The reality is that the conservative support in my riding is so strong right now that they're pretty much unassailable. It was close-ish for awhile but then that SNC thing happened and that Lib chance is now shot to shit. If it gets close again( narrator: it won't) I'll vote Lib.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In this thread, I learned that the riding of Saanich-Gulf Islands does not exist.

oops forgot about that one

''oh please the greens are only a ''viable alternative'' to the conservative in one ridings which happens to have the chief of the party which of course gave it a boost place a random green candidate and the con would most likely win beside you don't live in that riding so this point is moot''

there i fixed it

Last edited:

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
oops forgot about this one

oh please the greens are only a ''viable alternative'' to the conservative in one ridings which happens to have the chief of the party which of course gave it a boost place a random green candidate and the con would most likely win beside you don't live in that riding so this point is moot

there i fixed it
Not entirely. You'll also need to account for PEI, which are set to turn to the Greens provincially in 21 days, which may have a huge impact on federal voting there. And, as mentioned, May's staying power has influenced Green support in surrounding ridings on Vancouver Island.

To say nothing of the fact that the statement of vote intent was a "maybe" and didn't warrant the accusatory response it got.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
I prefer the Liberals over other parties. They've done a great job imo. The SNC thing isn't that big of a deal to me either, honestly. Completely blown out of proportion but should lead to some changes involving the Justice Minister and AG roles. My con friends and I agree on those points. What I meant by "after the SNC thing" is the effect it had on the election.
If it gets close again I'll vote Liberal of course, but to make lemon-aid it seems like a good opportunity to help the the Greens with their national profile and they are my second favourite party.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Not entirely. You'll also need to account for PEI, which are set to turn to the Greens provincially in 21 days, which may have a huge impact on federal voting there. And, as mentioned, May's staying power has influenced Green support in surrounding ridings on Vancouver Island.

To say nothing of the fact that the statement of vote intent was a "maybe" that you interpreted as a "definitely", for no discernible reason.
And the Greens are in a coalition provincially here in BC. I would definitely like for them to gain more standing in the province with a good result in the fed election even if it doesn't translate to seats. It could help them with the appearance of "viability" in the future provincially.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Canada's looking at a Conservative majority.
Conservative acquaintances are very grateful for the kerfuffle and most don't even care about it other than the damage it does.
It's funny that the NDP supporters might have thought they'd get a significant boost from this SNC thing. LOL.
The rise in the PPC isn't so funny though.
Might vote Green next election.
I've come to accept that most Liberals are Blue rather than Orange. They sup from the same table after all. :p

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Digging up what Sannich Gulf Islands was like pre-super star green candidate:

Conservative Gary Lunn 27,988 43.43 +6.28
Liberal Briony Penn 25,367 39.36 +13.28
Green Andrew Lewis 6,732 10.45 +0.51
New Democratic Julian West 3,667 5.69 −20.85

Green Elizabeth May 31,890 46.33 +35.88
Conservative Gary Lunn 24,544 35.66 −7.77
New Democratic Edith Loring-Kuhanga 8,185 11.89 +6.20
Liberal Renée Hetherington 4,208 6.11 −33.25

Looking at the flows basically it was mostly a huge transfer of Liberal voters into Green.

Not super surprising in the context of the most recent BC election, where there's more evidence that the increase in BC Green support came from disaffected BC Liberals. The Greens are not a labour party and environmentalism is pretty orthogonal to everything else so they don't necessarily compete with the NDP base. They make a pretty effective centrist alternative to the Liberals.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
lol damn. Remarkable that people think these two have some sort of 4D chess ~agenda~. Nah it's just that they were normal people whose brains hadn't been broken by Ottawa partisan politics.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The Greens are not a labour party and environmentalism is pretty orthogonal to everything else so they don't necessarily compete with the NDP base. They make a pretty effective centrist alternative to the Liberals.
Even this has a huge asterisk on it because a large portion of the NDP's base comes directly from the Youth and Millennial vote. Of which Climate Change is a huge issue for our demographic. In top of several other issues. But it would be disengenoous is the Greens aren't offering some attractive solutions for those other issues as of late.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Dude enough.

If Scheer wins it's on the voters. LPC is hilariously bad at handling this too.
Seriously. All the proof I need that Trudeau fucked up and things are looking bad is just how much Gutter is freaking out over this, trying to set this narrative.

It's bad. And if Trudeau loses, it is entierely in him for doing this thing that was insanely unnessesary.

Last edited:

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Even this has a huge asterisk on it because a large portion of the NDP's base comes directly from the Youth and Millennial vote. Of which Climate Change is a huge issue for our demographic. In top of several other issues. But it would be disengenoous is the Greens aren't offering some attractive solutions for those other issues as of late.

Yeah I see you on the importance of the environment to young people. The NDP is an environmentalist party, but if the environment is your number one issue beyond all others, the NDP's occasional compromises (eg. LNG development) may not be enough for you. I'm an older millennial so there's a good chance I totally do not have my pulse on what the younger newest voters are thinking.

I'm my experience however the BC Green voters I've known voted for that party over the NDP not due to their extra environmentalist omph, but rather due to the tribal reasons that the Greens were 'not-NDP' and so they were a better fit for these persons that didn't feel associate themselves with the NDP and felt a closer political connection to the Fed Liberals. YMMV

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
100% this.

Instead though the government decided to come with a dozen contradictory explanations for its insanely inappropriate behaviour because jobs.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
lol damn. Remarkable that people think these two have some sort of 4D chess ~agenda~. Nah it's just that they were normal people whose brains hadn't been broken by Ottawa partisan politics.

It's the lack of a 4D agenda that's the problem. Not in the made up sense but looking at it as a political war. There's a time and place to fight certain battles and it seemed poorly considered, and almost entirely self regarding, that it risked the loss of allied battles on other fronts.
Discretion is the better part of valour and is part of having integrity.
It is right to want to remove corruption but at what cost? With the type of corruption involved in the SNC thing there were no immediate health and safety risks. The timing and way this battle has been fought has put more people at risk than not.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
It's the lack of a 4D agenda that's the problem. Not in the made up sense but looking at it as a political war. There's a time and place to fight certain battles and it seemed poorly considered, and almost entirely self regarding, that it risked the loss of allied battles on other fronts.
Discretion is the better part of valour and is part of having integrity.
It is right to want to remove corruption but at what cost? With the type of corruption involved in the SNC thing there were no immediate health and safety risks. The timing and way this battle has been fought has put more people at risk than not.
How come poor and minortized peoples in Canada don't get the same level of mercy when it comes to their own sentencing in courts of law or when dealing with the police?

100% this.

Instead though the government decided to come with a dozen contradictory explanations for its insanely inappropriate behaviour because jobs.

But she has some kind of hidden agenda or something!!!!

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How come poor and minortized peoples in Canada don't get the same level of mercy when it comes to their own sentencing in courts of law or when dealing with the police?
I mean, thats entirely different. Is it fair, not really. But a poor person going to jail hurts really only that person, maybe their family. A company going down costs lots of people their jobs.

It's not fair but its reality.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pointing out Trudeau did something dumb isn't necessarily condoning the CPC. I'm in that camp, even though I don't like what Trudeau did, Scheer has more than enough examples of hating people with my skin colour.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
JWR blackmailed the PMO and made an ultimatum with a list of demands:

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/...on-raybould-des-negos-jusqua-la-toute-fin.php

1) Firring Jerry Buts (fired)
2) Firing Michael Warnick (fired)
3) Firing Mathieu Bouchard (not fired)

If she was a really a whistle blower, she would have resigned and spilled the beans to the public.

no, this was a power play, strong arming the PM and PMO

worse of all, the other BC MPs including Terry Beech, were used mediators and act as messengers for JWR to make demands to the PM.

JWR refuses to answer journalists questions about her backroom ultamatums.

but but but Truth!!!! Integrety!!! eh!??

Trudeau's biggest mistake was to not kick her out after refusing the shuffle. Time worked against him and trying to be too political correct and nice has actually hurt him.

======

the shopping list of demands were time stamped on February 12 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.