• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_mypj3wmUV71rzik3go1_250.gif

We're so fucked in the fall, aren't we. We have to suffer like the US did for 4 (8?) years.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, the only two parties in the Leg at this point are going to be the NDP and UCP at this point.

edit: Calgary-Varsity and Falconridge are very close.

Shifty

Oct 28, 2017
Man screw Calgary and the rurals in this province. Back to being a dumpster fire like most of the rest of the country.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
imo the alberta and ontario results, as well as the huge numbers of right wing nutjobs running amok these days, have me expecting a scheer W
Yep. I have very little hope for the liberals holding on :S
I see no reason to believe Conservative success in Ontario will translate to success for Scheer.

If anything, Ford is pretty despised across the board in the province, which will likely result in a boost for Trudeau.

Alberta was never gonna do anything for the federal Liberals anyways.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
very anecdotal observations here but i made a visit to my old highschool in metro van this past week and saw this one teacher with a "make trudeau a drama teacher again" hat (in the style of a MAGA hat) on display in his classroom, and some other teachers got anti political correctness stickers all over the place. hell one dude was deadass reading out jordan peterson's book to his class. shameful as hell

and don't even get me started on what's going down on university campuses with the conservative "free speech" chud clubs

Yep. I have very little hope for the liberals holding on :S

this fall is gonna suck smh

I see no reason to believe Conservative success in Ontario will translate to success for Scheer.

If anything, Ford is pretty despised across the board in the province, which will likely result in a boost for Trudeau.

Alberta was never gonna do anything for the federal Liberals anyways.

i appreciate the optimism

i'm just pessimistic as hell right now with everything

Oct 25, 2017
For people who follow Alberta politics more closely, what do you think is the most likely scenario

A - UCP rolls back many of NDP's changes
B - UCP rolls back a few token changes but leaves most in place and later takes credit for their success
C, D, E - something else?

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
For people who follow Alberta politics more closely, what do you think is the most likely scenario

A - UCP rolls back many of NDP's changes
B - UCP rolls back a few token changes but leaves most in place and later takes credit for their success
C, D, E - something else?
They've got a majority. They're rolling most of it back. It's what this stupid province wants. Unlike Ontario where the electorate is overwhelmingly left leaning, this province is the opposite. Why is it always the right that can put their differences aside in order to win? They lose one election and they vow to never let it happen again. Why can't the Liberals and NDP do the same thing in Ontario as well?

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
They've got a majority. They're rolling most of it back. It's what this stupid province wants. Unlike Ontario where the electorate is overwhelmingly left leaning, this province is the opposite. Why is it always the right that can put their differences aside in order to win? They lose one election and they vow to never let it happen again. Why can't the Liberals and NDP do the same thing in Ontario as well?
I've said as much during that whole SNC bullshit.

So many folks here went from 0-100 on a "scandal" that has zero impact on them or any other province outside of Quebec.

Outrage culture seems to hit Left-leaning parties harder.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit ContraWars, I forgot you existed. So odd to see you in here right now, I didn't take you for a braggart.

SushiX A) progress is being rolled back for sure. We live in the West Virginia of Canada. A place slowly going down the toilet while lucid dreaming about the past.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's split between the Liberals and NDP. (And Greens now too.)
And in Alberta the Wild Rose and Cons split too, lost one election because of it, and formed Con-Voltron in order for such a thing to never happen. The right understand that no matter how they differ in regards to their batshit beliefs, the left is worse in their eyes. We have parties on the left and centre-left who gleefully wish for the Cons to win if they can't, just so they can shore up support in the election afterwards.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
So what will be rolled back exactly? I'm glad Edmonton stayed orange wish we got a little more seats. Knew we would most likely lose but wished for a miracle. I hope notley stays on and runs in 2023.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
And in Alberta the Wild Rose and Cons split too, lost one election because of it, and formed Con-Voltron in order for such a thing to never happen. The right understand that no matter how they differ in regards to their batshit beliefs, the left is worse in their eyes. We have parties on the left and centre-left who gleefully wish for the Cons to win if they can't, just so they can shore up support in the election afterwards.
Yuuuuuuup.

NDP should fuck-off at this point.

Their existence seems to only result in political losses for left-leaning demographics in this country.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Yuuuuuuup.

Their existence seems to only result in a loss for left-leaning demographics in this country.
I was referring to both the NDP and the Liberals actually. The shit show in Ontario is partly the fault of Liberal voters. I don't care if the NDP sucks at running a campaign. If you know the Liberals are going to be blown out of the water, why would you vote for them knowing doing so helps the Cons? Again, the right view any left party as the enemy, and will work together if it means preventing such parties from winning. We would rather take shots at each other all day and allow Cons to win, than to view them the same way they view us.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Our POS Westminster system encourages a 2 party system like the USA. Trash tier at actually properly representing an electorate.

???

They are the only left leaning party with any votes in Alberta. The liberals are pathetic here.
The Alberta party is pathetic too. It doesn't seem like there are any serious 3 horse races west of Ontario. MB has NDP / PC, SK has Sask / NDP, AB has NDP / UCP and B.C. is closest to a 3 horse race with Green, NDP and Lib.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I was referring to both the NDP and the Liberals actually. The shit show in Ontario is partly the fault of Liberal voters. I don't care if the NDP sucks at running a campaign. If you know the Liberals are going to be blown out of the water, why would you vote for them knowing doing so helps the Cons? Again, the right view any left party as the enemy, and will work together if it means preventing such parties from winning. We would rather take shots at each other all day and allow Cons to win, than to view them the same way they view us.
For better or worse, Left-leaning folks are a lot less tribalistic than their Right-wing counterparts.

I personally think that's a mistake, but that's usually because I view politics like a sport.

Pick a side and stay loyal, unless something truly catastrophic compels you to consider other options.

The bar for switching party allegiance is pretty high for Conservatives apparently~~~

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
For better or worse, Left-leaning folks are a lot less tribalistic than their Right-wing counterparts.

I personally think that's a mistake, but that's usually because I view politics like a sport.

Pick a side and stay loyal, unless something truly catastrophic compels you to consider other options.

The bar for switching party allegiance is pretty high for Conservatives apparently~~~
I think part of it is that what the right want to implement at least on the social level, is designed to ruin the lives of others. It's not about improving their own lives, but rather destroying the lives of people they hate. So even though the might disagree as to what degree and severity such policies should be, they will still view each other far more favourably than any left leaning party being in office.

It's easy to join up when hate is your central tenant.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

The far right is more tribal because bigots have been pushed underground for a long time.

Now that the left is under assault we might see some call to arms, out of desperation if anything.

Kind of like how AOC emerged in the US due to Trump.

Well I can only hope.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

30k votes and difference of 30 seats. Fuck you, JT.
I'm not a fan of the LPC backing away from electoral reform either but this has literally nothing to do with the federal government. Even if it went through on the federal level, Alberta's provincial elections would be operating under FPTP unless the current government adopted a PR electoral system.
Celebrating bigots seizing a majority in one of Canada's largest provinces to own the libs.

Last edited:

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
So have all the early vote ballots been counted? I was reading somewhere that because they allowed voters to vote for their riding at any of the early voting centres, the full count might not be completed till tomorrow. Alberta blew past the last early vote record in the first day of voting.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario proved that Liberals are more likely to vote Conservative or not at all than vote NDP. There is left to unite.

Oct 25, 2017
So have all the early vote ballots been counted? I was reading somewhere that because they allowed voters to vote for their riding at any of the early voting centres, the full count might not be completed till tomorrow. Alberta blew past the last early vote record in the first day of voting.
700k early votes but 500k were done in-riding, so those were counted tonight. The 200k out of riding votes will be counted tomorrow.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Heh can JT still put in proportional representation before the next election? :(
Why would he? Conservatives winning every so often is to the Liberals, the same thing as the machines wiping Zion out and resetting the simulation was to the Matrix. It's part of the program. Then after they fuck things up for awhile, a new Neo is spit out to rally people behind, Zion is built back up again, and sooner or later the machines (Cons) come to destroy it. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

Shifty

Oct 28, 2017
Why would he? Conservatives winning every so often is to the Liberals, the same thing as the machines wiping Zion out and resetting the simulation was to the Matrix. It's part of the program. Then after they fuck things up for awhile, a new Neo is spit out to rally people behind. Rinse and repeat.
Pretty much. Conservatives and liberals both love this system. Liberals prefer to have the occasional conservative governments to the horror of people not being pushed to vote for them as a anything but conservative option. In the long run its better for their party, and that's all that really matters.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Forever locked in this bullshit effectively 2 party system. Going to keep organizing and pushing people to do the right thing, but I'm also gonna get my money up to ensure that dipshits have a more muted effect on the people I care about

Great job to the jackasses, ad nhope yall who knew better stay up. You'll be able to weather the storm

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So many folks here went from 0-100 on a "scandal" that has zero impact on them or any other province outside of Quebec.

Outrage culture seems to hit Left-leaning parties harder.

We go 0-100 because we know that Left-leaning parties can not survive controversy. In this environment they get voted in to fix people shit, but because they get elected in when everything has already gone to hell, they get all the blame for not fixing things fast enough. So they burn through their good will early and the slightest controversy makes people wonder why they elected them to begin with.

If you are a left leaning party you have to work your fucking ass off. And if you aren't, you will elect a Conservative the next go around. That's the truth. There is no ifs ands or buts about it.

Yuuuuuuup.

Their existence seems to only result in political losses for left-leaning demographics in this country.

The Conservatives would love nothing more than a Two Party System. They fucking dream of the day that they can steal word for word the fucking USA's strategy of not compromising and goading the left-leaning "centralist" party into picking up their policies, and having their enemy enact their policy in the name of "compromise"

Literally our multi-party system IS THE ONLY THING protecting us from being just as bad, if not worse than the USA right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.