• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I think the funny thing about all of this is, if it was a conservative government. You'd never hear about it.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I think the funny thing about all of this is, if it was a conservative government. You'd never hear about it.

That too. Hopefully Quebec doesn't care, and Ontario is fearful from their Year of Ford.

I just want to get past this election man. Then we can get rid of Trudeau or whatever needs to be done.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the SNC-Lavalin affair has less traction than failed election reform, which in turn has less traction than the pipeline issue. These scandals are small potatoes. Doug Ford has a tax-funded news network that features personal endorsements for companies that donate to his political party, and yet no one's talking about that. I only came across the story listening to a Canadian political podcast -it's not on the six o'clock news, which seems obsessed with pushing SNC-Lavalin despite the dearth of interest.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
the report is extremist purist nuttery because nothing changed and nothing of influence came about of the "opinions" concerned out of the PMO.

the PM never interfered with the Justice Minister's decision because her decision was never reversed

so all of this is English Canada puritanism about something that NEVER happened

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think very little people "actually care" about SNC-Levalin, especially if I take gutter as the general litmus test for the majority/centrist canadians, but they sure will be trying to make hay.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
The thing is, if she was never fired / moved to a different cabinet position, she wouldn't have thrown this big hissy fit. And based on her dad's comments on how she wants to be PM and lead the Liberal Party, I'm definitely going to call this a hissy fit.

Her decision was made final long before Butts and company tried to get her to do the DPA.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
The thing is, if she was never fired / moved to a different cabinet position, she wouldn't have thrown this big hissy fit. And based on her dad's comments on how she wants to be PM and lead the Liberal Party, I'm definitely going to call this a hissy fit.

Her decision was made final long before Butts and company tried to get her to do the DPA.
yeah and cabinet shuffles are nothing new in Canadian governments.

Lots of high profile ministers have been shuffled in the past and is part of the Canadian way of doing thing.

JWR wanted to be a tennis player in a game of hockey

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Honestly, I think very little people "actually care" about SNC-Levalin, especially if I take gutter as the general litmus test for the majority/centrist canadians, but they sure will be trying to make hay.

They don't care about the scandal itself because...who has the time to figure out what it's about anyway? But they hear things like "ethics", "blame", "corrupt", "broke federal law", and it creates a nefarious aura around the liberals and Trudeau, warranted or not.
But will it matter when the alternative is Andrew "awkward handshakes" Sheer or that other guy who's never on tv? Doubt it.

Kifimbo

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't take long to attack JWR once again, hours after she was fully vindicated.

Also the timing of this is funny.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
yeah and cabinet shuffles are nothing new in Canadian governments.

Lots of high profile ministers have been shuffled in the past and is part of the Canadian way of doing thing.

JWR wanted to be a tennis player in a game of hockey

The fact that she believes minister of veterans affairs is a demotion is a big insult to our Canadian Forces, veterans and currently serving. I personally feel that way, especially since I've had family and friends who served in the military.

JWR always seemed to me as a discount Kamala Harris.

Anyway I think more Canadians are far more interested in getting Pharmacare passed and not crashing into a wall like the US, UK and other countries currently are on course for.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I want national pharmacare!!!
NPD and Greens better be ready to push that forward with the Libs being the figurehead (and the Libs also being the ones who will be taking the flak for it too if we're being real).

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
No one cares about SCN anymore besides news round table shows, and hypocritical Cons who would never support any other party anyway. It's boring and affects almost no one personally.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand people who want a minority government,

Short term band-aids with candy

We have universal healthcare because the NDP/CCF forced the Liberals in the 60s to do it. The Liberals would have never done it on their own. Same reason why the Liberals went so far "left" in 2015, because otherwise the NDP would have formed government. The Liberals on their own only care about winning, and the pressure from the left keeps them centre-left.

In the age of Trump, who gives a shit about SNC Lavelin

"In the age of Hitler, who cares about Mussolini" is what you sound like.

I am definitely a proponent of "don't let perfect be the enemy of good," but at the same time you are willing to excuse anything the Liberals do. If the Liberals decided to ban abortion and scrap the carbon tax, you would be 100% behind it because all you care about is the brand/team, not the ideology.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
when you discover family members & close family friends have gotten hooked on people's party of canada & rebel media & stefan molyneux bullshit <<<<

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
No one cares about SCN anymore besides news round table shows, and hypocritical Cons who would never support any other party anyway. It's boring and affects almost no one personally.

You saw how Liberals dropped when SNC was on full blast.

Now they can add "violated law" to that.

It's ridiculously easy to get people to hate a candidate they already dislike.

I'm terrified of a Scheer majority.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
We have universal healthcare because the NDP/CCF forced the Liberals in the 60s to do it. The Liberals would have never done it on their own. Same reason why the Liberals went so far "left" in 2015, because otherwise the NDP would have formed government. The Liberals on their own only care about winning, and the pressure from the left keeps them centre-left.

"In the age of Hitler, who cares about Mussolini" is what you sound like.

I am definitely a proponent of "don't let perfect be the enemy of good," but at the same time you are willing to excuse anything the Liberals do. If the Liberals decided to ban abortion and scrap the carbon tax, you would be 100% behind it because all you care about is the brand/team, not the ideology.

Eh, not really, gutter was on the Layton train during the LPC dark ages.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
You saw how Liberals dropped when SNC was on full blast.

Now they can add "violated law" to that.

It's ridiculously easy to get people to hate a candidate they already dislike.

I'm terrified of a Scheer majority.
That's because it was shiny and new. Also, there was nothing else to focus on.

The Cons are all living, breathing ethics violations, and Ford is now the giant billboard in flashing lights.

Also, people want (and deserve) cheap meds. No Conservative government is gonna give them that.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
in the 1960s, that worked but in today's age of diseased social media, trash radio and partisanship. That shit won't fly.

I won't be happy with a minority government, another bullshit scenario where the NDP shits the bed with a stupid motion of no confidence to reward the Conservatives

He should really step down. Election season will be a bloodbath with everyone attacking him over this.
English Canada will never cease to amaze me.

Explain to me what he did wrong exactly?

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
in the 1960s, that worked but in today's age of diseased social media, trash radio and partisanship. That shit won't fly.

I won't be happy with a minority government, another bullshit scenario where the NDP shits the bed with a stupid motion of no confidence to reward the Conservatives

Just something something purity test something something.

Deleted member 12950

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

LOL Trump is getting away with fixing the stock market, changing regulations that benefit millionaire realtors and landowners

and YOU GUYS get worked up about something that Trudeau thought but never acted on and ended up doing NOTHING

LOL

👀

Invoking Trump to defend what may have been an obstruction of justice is a look.

Oct 27, 2017
We all know that gutter is an ends-justify-the-means kind of person. He doesn't care about legal vs illegal or the integrity of our democratic institutions, only that his side wins. It's actually very similar to the way Trump/GOP supporters view partisan politics in the US.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
LOL Trump is getting away with fixing the stock market, changing regulations that benefit millionaire realtors and landowners

and YOU GUYS get worked up about something that Trudeau thought but never acted on and ended up doing NOTHING

LOL

Hey don't put me in that boat, I'm on the LPC train since voting age. I even stuck around during the horrible Ignatieff years.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
That's because it was shiny and new. Also, there was nothing else to focus on.

The Cons are all living, breathing ethics violations, and Ford is now the giant billboard in flashing lights.

Also, people want (and deserve) cheap meds. No Conservative government is gonna give them that.

You're correct but the media sets the narrative. As djkimothy linked article pointed out, anti-climate change gets more coverage. There will be at least a 5-1 ratio of anti Trudeau coverage to anything critical of Scheer. Most people don't pay any attention to politics, it's how Ford for elected.

Just like in the US where Hillary's emails dominated coverage, while Trump did his shit.

As for pharmacare:

"My work insurance covers all my drugs, why should my tax dollars cover drugs for refugees and illegals?"

Derp.

The only X-Factor is Dud Ford tanking in Ontario.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
You're correct but the media sets the narrative. As djkimothy linked article pointed out, anti-climate change gets more coverage. There will be at least a 5-1 ratio of anti Trudeau coverage to anything critical of Scheer. Most people don't pay any attention to politics, it's how Ford for elected.

Just like in the US where Hillary's emails dominated coverage, while Trump did his shit.

As for pharmacare:

"My work insurance covers all my drugs, why should my tax dollars cover drugs for refugees and illegals?"

Derp.

The only X-Factor is Dud Ford tanking in Ontario.

I checked twitter and apparently this brouhaha is trending in Canada. Dunno how much of it are bots or actual upset people.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Total vindication for JWR.

All that horse shit with pundits musing about "what's her real agenda?" Uh the agenda was having ethics and doing the job properly.

All the Liberal MPs that fell in line and ragged her because they wanted to protect their jobs need to have a long look in the mirror tonight.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Second time Trudeau got blamed by the Ethics Commissioner (first time was the Aga Khan trip).

Pretty interesting he kept repeating he did nothing wrong until today where he had to admit he has made some mistakes. It's better for them for this to happen August 14th than September 14th though.

Still, JWR has a book coming up in September so it will be inevitably brought back in the spotlight.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Man this thread moves fast!

It's an iffy situation. For one, the SNC affair has gone on for so long that any damage it may have done has mostly been done now.

The difference this time is the ethic commissioner weighing in. Oddly, it doesn't change anything in substance as minds were already made up. It does vindicate JWR but doesn't really amount to much in terms of shedding light to new discoveries. We're just litigating the same things.

This will give news cycle something to talk about over a slow news cycle. Most people are still doing summer stuff. It'll be interesting to see how this affects anything long term.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
There's some new things with this ethics report.

For one thing Trudeau was sort of spinning this as a simple misunderstanding, but this report makes it extremely explicit that Trudeau was 100% broke the rules and his actions were deeply inappropriate. That may change opinions.

The other thing is that the shananigans from the government have continued. The ethics commissioner states that he was stymied in doing the full investigation.

This lends to the notion of doing further investigations, perhaps a public inquiry as Singh suggested some time ago.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
So is the Ethics Commissioner A TRAITOR CPC FANBOY WHO WANTS TO DESTROY CANADA FOR REASONS?!?!?! or something?

Just want to see where people stand because Liberals are The Only Choice (tm).

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
We elect MPs, not Emperors.

I'm fucking tired of your rambling nonsense. Everything is always the fault of English Canada, the NDP, and those who don't bend the knee unquestionably to Trudeau.

We do, but the average Canadian thinks we vote for the PM because they would rather watch what's going on in the US with the American news networks than to pay attention to what's going on up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.