• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I told y'all at the start of the year a Windsor riding would go Liberal.

People in Windsor feel underrepresented in parliaments. Pupatello was a provincial minister, she will get a massive boost from being perceived as a likely federal minister. The unions like the new NAFTA. Marijuanna legalization has actually had a specific and positive economic effect in Windsor-Essex (alot of greenhouses that used to grow tomatoes now grow weed). The bridge I've spent my entire life hearing about is finally getting built.

Of course none of that would matter without Pupatello to pound that message. Pupatello will win Windsor-West.

Last edited:

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
My riding of Etobicoke-Centre appears to be a safe hold for the Liberals. Actually, for the moment, all the ridings in the city of Toronto aside from Scarborough-Agincourt and York-Centre are leaning towards the Liberals.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Several members of the crowd of about 200 passed around and appeared to fill in Liberal membership forms, a striking juxtaposition between Canada's governing party and backers of China's Communist regime.

A Liberal spokesman said Thursday the forms looked to be ones that haven't been used for three years — since the party ended paid memberships — and which would not be accepted today as valid registrations.

And the party had nothing at all to do with the rally, he added.

Something weird going on if fake forms are being handed out.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Not surprising. They probably noticed that SNC-lavalin doesn't have any effect that they will try new things to stir up. Just disgusting.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It was interesting. The CBC analyst on The National tonight said that was a big mistake that basically kills the NDP's bargaining power with the Liberals.

But honestly, it's possible to not support either party and to let both governments fall and trigger a snap election. I don't know what that's necessarily a bad thing if you believe in this whole Westminster democracy thing.

I don't know if it really was a mistake really, this isn't 2006 anymore, there is no way anyone could rationalize the NDP teaming up with the CPC in their current state. And the Liberals would anticipate as much.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
It was interesting. The CBC analyst on The National tonight said that was a big mistake that basically kills the NDP's bargaining power with the Liberals.

But honestly, it's possible to not support either party and to let both governments fall and trigger a snap election. I don't know what that's necessarily a bad thing if you believe in this whole Westminster democracy thing.
CBC Analysts are a bunch morons, especially Andrew Coyne

I think the opposite, Left wing voters who are afraid of an Conservative minority will feel assured that that won't happen and that an NDP-Liberal Coaltion or cohabitation is in the wrealm of possibility. So NDP voters can feel safe about voting NDP to avoid what happened when Jack Layton propped up 2 Stephen Harper minorities.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Jesus fucking christ. What is it with Conservatives and Fucking Alchohol. Are they all Alchoholics? Are they bloody drunk all the time? Is that why they suck at governing?

Sheesh.

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, more than a year-old tweet, why are we dredging this up?

Still kind of hilarious in retrospect when considering the buck-a-beer fiasco. Is the price of a case of beer really an election issue?
That said, additional sin taxes on sales is a fairly regressive form of taxation but I can't really work myself up about it.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, more than a year-old tweet, why are we dredging this up?

Still kind of hilarious in retrospect when considering the buck-a-beer fiasco. Is the price of a case of beer really an election issue?
That said, additional sin taxes on sales is a fairly regressive form of taxation but I can't really work myself up about it.

I just found it on Reddit, got a good laugh out of it and wanted to share :P

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fucking christ. What is it with Conservatives and Fucking Alchohol. Are they all Alchoholics? Are they bloody drunk all the time? Is that why they suck at governing?

Because conservative policies are generally unpopular. I can't recall where I read that they'd poll at 25% if they ran on their core policies.

So they focus on ramping up hate against their opposition and doing stupid shit like this for the Luddites. To get that 10-15% centrist vote.

I don't think many people in Ontario will fall for the cheap beer stunt again though.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Where's the 20$ coming from anyway? Someone's ass? It's amazing how these days you can just broadcast bogus data without any context to the masses.

May 30, 2018
ECfyog8W4AAzOhH.jpg:large

There's got to be a way to knock down those 55% pillars in AB/SK/MN.
They most likely won't go Liberals in any large number but maybe another party. Affordability polls high in other places.
UBI?
That's something May's talked about. It can be discussed as a political issue not only as means of support for affordability but to help transition workers to new industries as automation takes over and through resource industry changes. Something that effects all citizens and could provide a base of financial stability to all regions.

AB is a lost cause. Literally every other province can swing but that one.

Thank god they only have 34 seats.

Oct 27, 2017

I guarantee you that SK will also never swing to Liberal. The best you can hope for in around 15-20 years is getting a reliable 4-6 NDP seats, with the rest (6-8) Conservative. Ralph Goodale is the only Liberal seat that will likely remain after this election. People on the prairies still hate the Liberals for the energy policies of the 70s/80s.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
We got tons of people from Ottawa in here... so some good news!
Phase 1 of LRT Is Completed! LRT line to open Sept. 14

Huzzah! Having an actual rail line running through its downtown core is an amazing step for public transit in the city. This should grealy help solve some of the issues the transit system has been facing over the past couple years. They've also already begun the preliminary construction for Phase-2, so baring anymore unknown cavernous sink-holes in the West, East and South... We're well underway to having a proper transit system for the city within the next four years!

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if rolling out a horrendously stupid and questionable talking point that can easily be tied to the incredibly unpopular Ford is a winning strategy.

Could hardly be any clearer they are trying to borrow from Ford's shitty playbook because it kind of somehow worked.

Conservative party going all in on targeting the ignorant and uneducated.

May 30, 2018
I guarantee you that SK will also never swing to Liberal. The best you can hope for in around 15-20 years is getting a reliable 4-6 NDP seats, with the rest (6-8) Conservative. Ralph Goodale is the only Liberal seat that will likely remain after this election. People on the prairies still hate the Liberals for the energy policies of the 70s/80s.

You're right, I forgot about them totally. My HS history teacher was big on Tommy Douglas, he considered him the greatest Canadian in history even. I remember that Douglas brought Canada Universal Healthcare and that his NDP dominated Saskatchewan, so it's kinda sad that the CPC are so dominant there nowadays. I understand PETs energy policy pissed AB/SK off, but I wouldn't expect a formerly heavy NDP area to go so right wing lol

I'd like for the Federal NDP to be dominant there, since it seems like LPC are a no go there.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

Huzzah! Having an actual rail line running through its downtown core is an amazing step for public transit in the city. This should grealy help solve some of the issues the transit system has been facing over the past couple years. They've also already begun the preliminary construction for Phase-2, so baring anymore unknown cavernous sink-holes in the West, East and South... We're well underway to having a proper transit system for the city within the next four years!

Yah, I could barely work today i was hyped on the announcement. This really helps my mom as it makes visits to downtown really easy for her. I just wishing it wasn't delayed to september so she could use it over the summer. Still, very hyped. On to phase 2!

Here's an interesting tweet that caught my attention. There might be a method to the madness. There's an allusion that the Scheer video wasn't random.

Is this part of the Martell master plan?

All of this with a grain of salt of course. It's all speculation. But the fact that they'd roll out a publicly recorded record might hint at a narrative their aiming for.

The liberal oppo team busy i see.

This was only brought to my attention because of Rob Silver's response. Husband of Katie Telford.

Last edited:

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Scheer started it in New Brunswick using a non-partisan public event (Acadian Day) to go for a planned photo up "stop lying to Canadians"

So all bets are off now going dirty

PS: Fuck the CBC

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know... sounds like "free market will fix the environment" statement, aka Scheer's "plan".

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Will Ottawa be like Kitchener-Waterloo and have someone have an accident on a weekly basis with the new LRT?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It's painful to see places like the CBC take the most gracious readings of Scheer / Conservative positions while clumsily attempting to drag the Liberals down into the same pit as them. Especially when the article even MENTIONS that the Conservatives want to fight that battle.

Framing dehumanising bigotry as just "politics" is sickening.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Will Ottawa be like Kitchener-Waterloo and have someone have an accident on a weekly basis with the new LRT?

WTF happened at K-W?

like Killerrin says, it's detached from any local traffic.

For those, interested. Here's the complete trip from Blair to Tunney's during the press invite today.

I don't understand how this keeps happening... #toronto

Your answer is in the underline.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Trump vs Xi trade war.
Hong Kong protests.
Amazon rain forrests on fire

The international news is on fire.

Pundits here in Canada waste their energy on an ethics of nothing ? Pfff

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 31, 2017
Unknown

There's being realistic, yes but it's also important not to just give up on the other 45% that aren't voting CPC.
Even if the parties aren't able to swing any seats just helping loosen the stools in that part of Canada is every party's responsibility.
As pointed out, the entrenched AB federal voter thinking is based in 70s resentments and, if I may add, closer to the 1920s than the 2020s in basis and direction. They're literally stuck in the 20th century and pointed backwards.
It'll be interesting to see if and by how much polls change with Greens in AB from taking Nantel and the discussions around Bill 21 and freedom of MPs to hold their own positions after environment first. Paul Manly is pro-BDS as an example of another contentious position. That Quebec secularism bill might have brought discussion that could be a draw to a few prairie conservatives who are ready to move forward environmentally and on from the CPC given an avenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.