• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Holy Jesus at those Ontario LPC numbers.

Also, how on earth does Ottawa get a grade-separated LRT system and both Edmonton/Calgary do not?! :(

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Yah, I gather there wouldn't be so much cuts to Ontario services that the CPC would consider to be more viable. I still don't really subscribe to the idea that provincial-federal governments (particularly Ontario) counterbalance each other, but could be wrong on that.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Growing up in the 1990s, my perception of Rex Murphy was that he was a bit of an amusing curmudgeon. Was he always a noxious reactionary and I just didn't notice at the time?

Of course PostMedia has to sow the seeds of antifeminism and conspiracy as part of their new directive against Trudeau.

Conservative media screaming "Liberal bias" is funny.

It's like an alt right troll wrote that article.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown

Growing up in the 1990s, my perception of Rex Murphy was that he was a bit of an amusing curmudgeon. Was he always a noxious reactionary and I just didn't notice at the time?
Rex's conspiracy angle about women and feminists resenting men and planning then celebrating shutting out men from jobs in the journalism industry is the type of shit that reads like it's part of a hate manifesto.

As for the debate, I'll wait until after to decide about the moderation.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
The type of argument Murphy makes could easily be refuted by Grade 10.
Feminism is one of the predominant ideologies of the already fairly well-off. It does not reach to the lower end of female experience. The sales clerks, the housekeepers at hotels, the immigrant women in corner stores and fast-food chains, nannies for the upper middle class supporting their own children back home by taking care of children in this First-World country — there's a rich, ripe source for a panel.
The most useful thing about it may be as a study in fallacy.

Which brings up voting age. With elections being only every 5 years there is only a portion of 16/17 y/o per generation that would be voting in federal elections. They are stake holders in the future. I somewhat support lowering the age and welcome the study and discussion.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

Which brings up voting age. With elections being only every 5 years there is only a portion of 16/17 y/o per generation that would be voting in federal elections. They are stake holders in the future. I somewhat support lowering the age and welcome the study and discussion.

It's interesting that many of the arguments against allowing children to vote were also used against allowing women to vote. Things like "under developed brains" and "being under the influence of men".

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
We are going to be posting a lot of bigoted PostMedia articles and opinion pieces for the foreseeable future I think.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

No lol

On the whole I'm fine with the voting age as it is -- there's consistency to setting it at the age of legal majority for most things.

There are absolutely plenty of 16-year-olds who I'd be fine trusting with a ballot, though, moreso than many people over the voting age who do have one. I do wonder how many 16-year-olds would actually vote, for that matter; probably that number would be disproportionately drawn from those very-engaged people.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
On the whole I'm fine with the voting age as it is -- there's consistency to setting it at the age of legal majority for most things.

There are absolutely plenty of 16-year-olds who I'd be fine trusting with a ballot, though, moreso than many people over the voting age who do have one. I do wonder how many 16-year-olds would actually vote, for that matter; probably that number would be disproportionately drawn from those very-engaged people.
That's the other thing, since no one votes anyway it probably wouldn't matter. lol

It would benefit the cons considering they got pro life kids voting on party candidate nominations.
I don't see how that follows.

Obviously there are plenty of future Tory voters among the under-18 set, but on the whole the younger generations are more small-l liberal than their predecessors. The young voting would, in theory, be especially big for the Green Party.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
92b8ebd7-3222-4a9f-820b-80d3e6f00d0d_JDX-NO-RATIO_WEB.jpg

"say NO to Masse immigration"
Maxime Bernier campaign adds propping up in Quebec City

Last edited:

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how that follows.

Obviously there are plenty of future Tory voters among the under-18 set, but on the whole the younger generations are more small-l liberal than their predecessors. The young voting would, in theory, be especially big for the Green Party.

Children are ideologues, idealistic and lack pragmatism, lack long term vision, easily pandered with candy

Children shouldn't vote

Also conservatives literally go to these Christian schools and get them to write in a social conservative candidate. There's no such political activism on the left.

Same deal with politics and church congregations.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Ehhhhhh, I think 16 is a bit too young to vote. 16 year olds usually don't even accept the responsibility of a driver's license.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile kids are the ones that are going to have to rescue humanity from the shit show we're leaving them and have absolutely no say in their future.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Meanwhile kids are the ones that are going to have to rescue humanity from the shit show we're leaving them and have absolutely no say in their future.
I don't know... I would have voted conservative in high school because I liked the color blue more than the color red and the green party didn't exist yet.
I didn't learn a thing about politics until university.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know... I would have voted conservative in high school because I liked the color blue more than the color red and the green party didn't exist yet.
I didn't learn a thing about politics until university.
Since we seem to skirt with 60% turnout anyway, I assume kids who are disinterested will act exactly the same as adults who are disinterested - they won't bother showign up.

Given that we don't have mandatory voting, I just don't think the "educated voter" thing matters as an excuse because they literally don't have to vote and we make it hard enough that someone has to put some kind of effort to actually do it.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

I've always thought that 16 should be the minimum age to vote. In fact, the requirement should be at minimum highschool aged, and we should tie it into the Highschool Cirriculum through enhanced civics classes. Hell, since Highschool is 4 years, and the election cycle runs on 4 year runs, You can even go a step further and make participation on either a Municipal, Provincial or Federal Level a requirement to graduate. Or at the very least heavily encouraged moreso than today through a combination of making the schools official polling stations so they have no excuse not to do it.

The reason behind this is simple. Science shows that the earlier that you get someone participating in the democratic process, the more likely they are going to continue voting the rest of their lives. And also from a progressive standpoint, the science also shows that Youth are more likely to vote for progressive candidates. Millenials vote heavily NDP, Green and Liberal. Generation Z is showing to continue that metric by being even more in favour of the NDP and Greens.

From the societal perspective, not only is it more democratic to enable more people to vote, but you are laying the foundations to keep more people engaged in the process as a whole. And from the perspective of a progressive, it is even more-so that you should be in favour of it considering the opposition to the "progressive agenda".

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
It would be neat if a project you had to do was explain why you are voting for a specific candidate and then your "deliverable" is actually voting. It would be the most hands on civics class ever and be as "real" as the weird Home Ec and shop classes I was forced to take. lol

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It would be neat if a project you had to do was explain why you are voting for a specific candidate and then your "deliverable" is actually voting. It would be the most hands on civics class ever and be as "real" as the weird Home Ec and shop classes I was forced to take. lol

Heck, it doesn't even have to be a project where you explain why you are voting for a specific candidate. It could even be why you are not voting for a specific candidate either. Or an indepth analysis of the various platforms of every candidate. Just anything to get them into the mindset of thinking about the election in a critical manner. Which would further reinforce in their minds that elections need to be taken seriously.

The schools could even use it as an excuse to host a local debate for the candidates running in that specific riding/district for that election. Students could participate in talking/listening to the candidates and there could even be assignments where people discuss their perceptions before and after the debate.

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Heck, it doesn't even have to be a project where oyu explain why you are voting for a specific candidate. It could even be why you are not voting for a specific candidate either. Or an indepth analysis of the various platforms of every candidate. Just anything to get them into the mindset of thinking about the election in a critical manner. Which would further reinforce in their minds that elections need to be taken seriously.

The schools could even use it as an excuse to host a local debate for the candidates running in that specific riding/district for that election. Students could participate in talking/listening to the candidates and there could even be assignments where people discuss their perceptions before and after the debate.
Pedagogically this sounds like such an amazing idea that I almost feel like it should be implemented ASAP. lol
Either that or we go back to a 5 year system in Ontario/OAC and force people to stay in school until they get the opportunity to vote at least once. :p

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Where do they find these people??
In the video that has been seen by over 9000 Twitter users so far, Cheryl Gallant, the Conservative MP for the riding of Renfrew-Nippissing-Pembroke describes what she calls the "Pot Paradox." She goes on to say that it's ironic that Justin Trudeau is imposing a carbon tax to lower carbon dioxide emissions while also legalizing marijuana.

Gallant says in the video that "by lighting up a joint...we have a new law that promotes the emission of carbon dioxide." She also mentions all the "negative health benefits" of lighting up a joint but doesn't go into what those "negative benefits" are.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
In Alberta high school is actually three years (10, 11, 12), with grade nine being the last year of junior high (7, 8, 9).

Of course Alberta has to make things complicated. Anyhow, easy semantic fix if you just use a floating number of "Last four years of compulsary education"... or just fix it to the minimum possible age of someone entering grade 9. With an exception for people who through their maturity and genius skipped a grade by allowing them to flash their highschool ID card as a secondary form of ID on top of their Citizenship verification ID.

Pedagogically this sounds like such an amazing idea that I almost feel like it should be implemented ASAP. lol
Either that or we go back to a 5 year system in Ontario/OAC and force people to stay in school until they get the opportunity to vote at least once. :p
You don't even have to do that. From Grades 9-12 you have a 4 year period of time. Federally elections are mandated to be every four years. Also in many[most?] provinces, their provincial elections are set between those 4 years, making the actual spread between elections being between 2-3 years. To add onto that, Municipal Elections also tend to be the same year as provincial elections, but earlier/later in the year. And this isn't even taking into account the possibilities of minority governments to fall even earlier. So realisitically every student should be able to vote in atleast one of Municipal/Provincial/Federal election in their 4 years of highschool.

To even full-proof the policy, you can have an exemption for students which by some strange bit of fate manage to hit that rare four year period with no election having taken place.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
If there's a net positive increase in political involvement not only in youth at the time of election but citizens throughout their lifetime by slightly lowering the voting age I'm for it.
One of the possible real substantial effects on an election that wasn't mentioned could be official or unofficial student organization which could swing close ridings one way or another.
Private and religious schools could be a problem too but maybe mitigated if they could lose funding/tax benefits or status if lines are crossed by adult control.
Economic threat is bad enough coming from employers and unions and dealing with that as adults but being under complete guardianship puts 16/17 at greater risk too.
However, I think studies will show that many of these negatives aren't universal or even common factors and even when they are present can be overcome to a great degree.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Hell, since Highschool is 4 years, and the election cycle runs on 4 year runs, You can even go a step further and make participation on either a Municipal, Provincial or Federal Level a requirement to graduate. Or at the very least heavily encouraged moreso than today through a combination of making the schools official polling stations so they have no excuse not to do it.

In QC Highschool is 5 years :) There is no middle-junior stuff here. Elementary is 6 years, highschool is 5 years, College (CEGEP) pre-University is 2 years or 3 for a technical degree. At Uni a bachelor is 3 years in most cases with some exception being 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.