• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
It's more like Justin is repositioning the Party back towards Pearson era center-left

minority governments only serve the short term for handing out short term candy.

it takes majority governments to get long terms stuff done. Unpopular long-term stuff that end up paying off in the long-term down the road.

lmao

During Pearson's time as Prime Minister, his Liberal minority governments introduced universal health care, student loans, the Canada Pension Plan, the Order of Canada, and the Maple Leaf flag. His Liberal government also unified Canada's armed forces.

With these accomplishments, together with his groundbreaking work at the United Nations and in international diplomacy, Pearson is generally considered among the most influential Canadians of the 20th century[2] and is ranked among the greatest Canadian Prime Ministers.[3]

The person you bring up, the consensus best prime minister Canada ever had, only ever had minority governments. Look how much good stuff he got done. Food for thought for people who think minority governments would be a disaster.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There is too much division right now for a minority government on a federal level to be practical. I don't even think the liberals and ndp would play nice.
I'd make a joke about Singh trying to be the NDP's Trudeau, but there is plenty of common ground between the two parties to work on should there be a Liberal minority in 2019, albeit there would likely be concessions such as pushing through electoral reform. That said, I doubt we'll see a minority in 2019, bad as I expect the election to be.

Oct 27, 2017
I get the feeling that Jagmeet Singh may not be a policy wonk:

For anyone who doesn't speak French, Singh held a press conference today where he was asked about his party's position on the proposed firearms legislation. He didn't know, so he paused the press conference, turned to Guy Caron (the NDP's parliamentary leader, in case anyone needed reminding that Singh doesn't have a seat), and asked in a loud whisper what their position was again.

Obviously party leaders don't necessarily need to know the ins and outs of every policy debate, but is it really too much to ask that they have a general idea of what their party stands for?
Shit, I'd settle for a skillful dodge if he didn't know the answer. That is awkward.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/c...-internet-filtering-tech-censorship-1.4631243
So in addition to sending armored vehicles to Saudi Arabia, we're also implicitly helping regimes censor their citizens as well.

Citizen Lab has also recommended the Canadian government mandate public transparency reports, ongoing due diligence, and prohibitions against unethical activities as a condition of federal and provincial funding — such as the grants of more than $300,000 Netsweeper has received from the National Research Council.

Global Affairs minister Chrystia Freeland declined a request for an interview. Instead, a Global Affairs spokesperson reiterated to CBC News that the government would "continue to engage with our partners on the review of this type of technology."

I mean we like to say we're better than the Americans when it comes to being interventionist and not shitting on countries by giving our tech away to anyone who is willing to pay, but I guess it's just something we tell ourselves to make ourselves feel morally superior.

--
Oh, also I guess the right wing is trying to noplatform David Suzuki getting an honorary degree at UofA. One side uses it to marginalize people like Faith Goldy and Richard Spencer, the other to try to marginalize climate change science. Hrmmmmmmmmmmm.

Last edited:

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Shit, I'd settle for a skillful dodge if he didn't know the answer. That is awkward.
I'dunno. I'd rather politicians not dodge questions or lie to cover up a shortcoming. If they don't know the answer, best to outright say you don't know the answer, and even better would be actually getting the answer. Granted, as leader of the party he should know the answer, but still...

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I'dunno. I'd rather politicians not dodge questions or lie to cover up a shortcoming. If they don't know the answer, best to outright say you don't know the answer, and even better would be actually getting the answer. Granted, as leader of the party he should know the answer, but still...

I could understand if it's the minutiae of a certain policy point, but this is something that the leader of any federal party should now.

This is beyond embarrassing for Singh. All of the memes about Trudeau not being ready? That's literally Singh right now.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I could understand if it's the minutiae of a certain policy point, but this is something that the leader of any federal party should now.

This is beyond embarrassing for Singh. All of the memes about Trudeau not being ready? That's literally Singh right now.

That's why I postfixed my statement with that, statement of "he should know the policy as leader" bit.

That said, I never attacked Trudeau over not knowing something. Nor over his constant um or ah-ing because that's a perfectly valid conversational buffer.

I just prefer people to not bullshit or go off topic when they straight up don't know something. I go after people I know for that all the damn time

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
The person you bring up, the consensus best prime minister Canada ever had, only ever had minority governments. Look how much good stuff he got done. Food for thought for people who think minority governments would be a disaster.

No argument that minority governments worked extremely well in the '60s. As I said, though, I think that the 2004-11 period is a much more relevant example. The parties are more polarized, and they rely on motivated supporters to keep them funded, rather than corporations. Cooperation is wonderful, but it makes for lousy fundraising pitches.

That's why I postfixed my statement with that, statement of "he should know the policy as leader" bit.

That said, I never attacked Trudeau over not knowing something. Nor over his constant um or ah-ing because that's a perfectly valid conversational buffer.

I just prefer people to not bullshit or go off topic when they straight up don't know something. I go after people I know for that all the damn time

Again, there's a big difference between not wanting to spout nonsense on a topic you know nothing about, and not knowing your party's position on a pretty contentious issue. At the very least, he should've been able to say, "We're still reviewing the legislation, and we'll make our position clear once we've had a chance to give it a full analysis. In the meantime, this is why the Liberals and the Conservatives are both failing to protect Canadians from gun violence, and this is where our party stands generally on guns."

The fact Singh doesn't know how to do that should really worry NDPers. It's a pretty basic comms skill, and one that he should've learned long, long ago. He has a little over a year to learn how to do it -- if he pulls something like this during the debates, he's doomed.

I'd make a joke about Singh trying to be the NDP's Trudeau, but there is plenty of common ground between the two parties to work on should there be a Liberal minority in 2019, albeit there would likely be concessions such as pushing through electoral reform. That said, I doubt we'll see a minority in 2019, bad as I expect the election to be.

Speaking of 2019...Mainstreet's stock has taken a bit of a hit in recent years, particularly after they were wildly off the mark with their polling in the Calgary mayoral election, but they have a new poll out with some crazy numbers:
LPC 40.4
CPC 37.1
NDP 11.9
Greens 5.9

Essentially, the Conservatives would sweep the Prairies, the Liberals would sweep Quebec and Atlantic Canada, the two would battle it out in Ontario and BC, and the NDP would be reduced to a small rump around Vancouver Island.

I'd be skeptical of the numbers, since no one else has the NDP so low, but it still paints a pretty interesting picture.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Mainstreet is utter garbage for polls, ugh. Why are polling companies in Canada so awful?

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Late to the party, but that Singh moment re: firearms...yikes.

On another note, does anyone out there think Sask Premier Moe has a leg to stand on re: carbon tax? I'm listening to him decry BCs right to question jurisdiction while simultaneously saying Ottawa has no business implementing this tax. He's going so far as to say "some say Saskatchewan is a landlocked province; I say it's not. We have a coast." "BC's coast?" "That's Canada's coast". Like...wtf. I understand what he's trying to get across but the way he's stringing words together isn't making him sound particularly articulate, let alone intelligent.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Again, there's a big difference between not wanting to spout nonsense on a topic you know nothing about, and not knowing your party's position on a pretty contentious issue. At the very least, he should've been able to say, "We're still reviewing the legislation, and we'll make our position clear once we've had a chance to give it a full analysis. In the meantime, this is why the Liberals and the Conservatives are both failing to protect Canadians from gun violence, and this is where our party stands generally on guns."

The fact Singh doesn't know how to do that should really worry NDPers. It's a pretty basic comms skill, and one that he should've learned long, long ago. He has a little over a year to learn how to do it -- if he pulls something like this during the debates, he's doomed.

Look in not going to disagree that it looks bad It's a failure of communications and he has had a year to learn the policies and pay attention to what's happening in the chamber he is entering.

Im just the type of person that likes it when someone turns to an expert in the room when they don't know something. He didn't know. He turned to someone who did and got the answer right then and there.

The saying is "leaders don't rule alone." that's why a government is made up of multiple ministers, each specializing in their own topics. That's why I'm such a fan of how Trudeau splits up his cabinet and actually relies on them.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/p...i-de-gauche-la-caq-rejette-les-etiquettes.php
The CAQ refuses to be labeled as "Right Wing" and ironically just wants to be known as "Natioanliste" instead.
Legault refuses labels such as "Right" or "Left. *sigh*

this is another reason why I HATE!!!!!!!!!! Quebec Provincial politics. It's not abour Left vs Center vs Right. nope. It's all about who has the bigger Nationalist Penis.

No argument that minority governments worked extremely well in the '60s. As I said, though, I think that the 2004-11 period is a much more relevant example. The parties are more polarized, and they rely on motivated supporters to keep them funded, rather than corporations. Cooperation is wonderful, but it makes for lousy fundraising pitches.

Speaking of 2019...Mainstreet's stock has taken a bit of a hit in recent years, particularly after they were wildly off the mark with their polling in the Calgary mayoral election, but they have a new poll out with some crazy numbers:
LPC 40.4
CPC 37.1
NDP 11.9
Greens 5.9

Essentially, the Conservatives would sweep the Prairies, the Liberals would sweep Quebec and Atlantic Canada, the two would battle it out in Ontario and BC, and the NDP would be reduced to a small rump around Vancouver Island.

I'd be skeptical of the numbers, since no one else has the NDP so low, but it still paints a pretty interesting picture.

It's going to take Trudeau a few months to return to his old numbers. His India trip was a disaster, his "inaction" when it comes to the spat between BC versus Alberta only serves to fuel Conservatives and the illegal migration issue is helping Conservatives recruit Quebec Nationalistes

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta conservatives wearing a dunce cap for politicizing an honorary degree to David Suzuki. Who gives a fuck? I was present when Paul Martin was given an honorary degree by U of A; there weren't many middle aged fans of him in the crowd but it wasn't a provincial political mini-crisis. Who gives a fuck? Loud-mouth O&G people giving the whole sector a bad name by being a group who brag about how much they make with so little education, then whine over how entitled they are to that money, pointing to the government and other provinces as the reason for their lack of savings. Such thin skin that it's just sad to see them lash out. The comparisons that can be drawn between them and Appalachian coal miners are many. I'm sorry to paint them with a broad brush, but holy shit. Thank you CPC and UPC for making sure such "important" issues are brought to the forefront.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
But I wonder what voters that move will attract. Left PQ voters or Right PQ voters?

The answer is obviously right because CAQ is a right wing party.
The PQ will bleed Right towards the CAQ, as they will bleed Left towards QS.

CAQ though has more game in the sprawling suburbs

PQ voters are more seperatist than they are actually Left or Right. But their Nationalist tendencies gives them a Right Wing feature that has spill over effect more with the CAQ.

The PQ is a "fake" Left Wing party. They are Super Far-Right when it comes to Nationalism and Identity Politics.

Last edited:

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Alberta conservatives wearing a dunce cap for politicizing an honorary degree to David Suzuki. Who gives a fuck? I was present when Paul Martin was given an honorary degree by U of A; there weren't many middle aged fans of him in the crowd but it wasn't a provincial political mini-crisis. Who gives a fuck? Loud-mouth O&G people giving the whole sector a bad name by being a group who brag about how much they make with so little education, then whine over how entitled they are to that money, pointing to the government and other provinces as the reason for their lack of savings. Such thin skin that it's just sad to see them lash out. The comparisons that can be drawn between them and Appalachian coal miners are many. I'm sorry to paint them with a broad brush, but holy shit. Thank you CPC and UPC for making sure such "important" issues are brought to the forefront.

To be fair though, and I'm saying this as a Green on the political left: Suzuki is problematic because he's more or less an ideologue instead of a rational climate scientist. Much of his work in the modern era lacks scientific rigor.

All of this also highlights the problems behind honorary degrees -- and how they're essentially handed out by the U of A senate and not necessarily the academic leadership.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair though, and I'm saying this as a Green on the political left: Suzuki is problematic because he's more or less an ideologue instead of a rational climate scientist. Much of his work in the modern era lacks scientific rigor.

All of this also highlights the problems behind honorary degrees -- and how they're essentially handed out by the U of A senate and not necessarily the academic leadership.
Oh I agree with you completely. I personally dislike Suzuki, and even my most environmentally conscious friends don't care for him. It's just a matter of priorities; aren't there more important things to worry about than how many letters this old bastard has after his name and what pieces of paper he hangs on his wall/stuffs in a drawer/makes airplanes out of?

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I agree with you completely. I personally dislike Suzuki, and even my most environmentally conscious friends don't care for him. It's just a matter of priorities; aren't there more important things to worry about than how many letters this old bastard has after his name and what pieces of paper he hangs on his wall/stuffs in a drawer/makes airplanes out of?

Personally, I feel that this should lead to the gradual abolishment of honorary degrees. It cheapens the concept of an institute of higher learning when they're given away to celebrate accomplishments and careers.

That, and the whole Nestle thing too.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I feel that this should lead to the gradual abolishment of honorary degrees. It cheapens the concept of an institute of higher learning when they're given away to celebrate accomplishments and careers.

That, and the whole Nestle thing too.
What's the Nestle thing? But yes, I agree. I don't actually understand the idea behind honorary degrees; does the university get to include them as "famous alumni" after they're given one? What's the supposed purpose of them? It rubbed me the wrong way seeing Paul Martin get a degree for no reason in an auditorium full of people who paid for, attended, and put real effort into classes for four years.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
What's the Nestle thing? But yes, I agree. I don't actually understand the idea behind honorary degrees; does the university get to include them as "famous alumni" after they're given one? What's the supposed purpose of them? It rubbed me the wrong way seeing Paul Martin get a degree for no reason in an auditorium full of people who paid for, attended, and put real effort into classes for four years.
If my quick google search is correct, the same university gave an honourary degree to the chair of Nestle, they of trying to privatize vast amounts of Canadian fresh water, among other things.

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Mainstreet is utter garbage for polls, ugh. Why are polling companies in Canada so awful?

Mainstreet are pretty hit or miss. On the one hand, they're better than Forum -- though, obviously, that's no major achievement, because you could throw darts at a board full of numbers and get results that are roughly as accurate. They also did fairly well during the CPC and NDP leadership races, and in 2015 I remember them being one of the first polling companies to recognize just how soft NDP support was.

On the other hand, that Calgary debacle has made it hard to take them seriously. As I said, I'm a little skeptical of a poll that basically has the Liberals and Conservatives tied at 40 with the NDP at 10. It's entirely possible that there's been a total realignment of Canadian politics, and somehow Mainstreet are the only ones picking up on it, but I'm dubious.

As for the broader question of why Canadian pollsters are so terrible...as I've mentioned a bunch of times, I'm doing a Masters in Political Management (last class two weeks ago), and one of the classes was polling, taught by the head of one of the main polling companies. We had an entire class focused on that one question, with him arguing that pollsters are as good now as they've ever been, and it's just high profile misses like the 2012 Alberta election and the 2013 BC election that make them seem worse than they are. Personally, I'm skeptical, since Forum is regularly awful, and our system makes it impossible to do meaningful polling, since no one can afford to run 338 concurrent polls that measure every single race. But there are some people -- possibly mainly those employed by the polling industry -- who would dispute your assertion.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The honorary degree has no value, it's just basically a reason to get someone to come out and speak to a graduating class. Trudeau has gotten one too recently - I have a friend who is a bit bitter because she missed Trudeau since she graduated under a different department instead of the politics department. lol

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The honorary degree has no value, it's just basically a reason to get someone to come out and speak to a graduating class. Trudeau has gotten one too recently - I have a friend who is a bit bitter because she missed Trudeau since she graduated under a different department instead of the politics department. lol
Pretty much. Its essentially just free advertising for an institution giving the award away

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
Mainstreet also released an Alberta and a BC poll. The Alberta poll shows the UCP down like 7% and the AB NDP up 8% compared to their last poll while the BC poll shows the BC liberals and the BC NDP in a dog fight now while the greens are polling at around 16% and the BC conservatives are polling at 11%.

AB poll
https://www.mainstreetresearch.ca/ndp-gain-on-united-conservatives-thanks-to-kinder-morgan-support/

BC poll
https://www.mainstreetresearch.ca/b...-government-hurt-by-kinder-morgan-opposition/

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Mainstreet also released an Alberta and a BC poll. The Alberta poll shows the UCP down like 7% and the AB NDP up 8% compared to their last poll while the BC poll shows the BC liberals and the BC NDP in a dog fight now while the greens are polling at around 16% and the BC conservatives are polling at 11%.

AB poll
https://www.mainstreetresearch.ca/ndp-gain-on-united-conservatives-thanks-to-kinder-morgan-support/

BC poll
https://www.mainstreetresearch.ca/b...-government-hurt-by-kinder-morgan-opposition/

It would be so good if the UCP would lose the next election just to wipe that shit eating grin off of Kenney's face.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Another round of Kinder Morgan news.

Angus Reid put out some interesting polling info that goes beyond the question of overall support, and into what specific concerns people have about the project. This confirmed to me the feeling that I had that on the coast what people are really concerned about is not the extra emissions from the pipeline, but rather it's all about spill response. Clearly the government has done a good job of convincing British Columbians that it can attempt to meet its Paris targets with a carbon tax while expanding pipelines, but less of a good job in convincing them that they can handle a spill.

Accordingly on the issue of spill response it looks like the Feds may recognize they need to do a bit better. They've offered a bit of a carrot to BC here in offering to partner up on a joint scientific panel to study dilbit spill scenarios.

On the heels of some recent articles citing public employees stating the approval process was politically compromised, Singh has claimed that the Kinder Morgan approval process was 'rigged' and is demanding the government present documentation about the process.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Saying something is 'rigged' prior to actual findings or evidence smells of conspiratorial thinking.

If he truly has a problem with the process, go through the proper channels, get evidence, then present it as rigged.

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017

AB poll

BC poll

Huh, I always forget that we have a conservative party.

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
It would be so good if the UCP would lose the next election just to wipe that shit eating grin off of Kenney's face.
The combined non-UCP party vote share is greater than the UCP's total vote share right now according to this poll. The AB NDP still has a lot of room to grow if they continue to appeal to more and more working albertans on economic issues and propose popular policies like they have been doing in the recent legislature session while the UCP continues to get marginalized.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't usually take these seriously but Canada ranked #2 3rd year in a row in this global survey by US News and World Report. Switzerland takes #1. Prime Minister has highest approval ratings among national leaders. Mind you this is global perception rather than from domestic surveys. LOL USA...

https://www.straight.com/life/10236...hile-among-nations-leading-disapproval-donald

Switzerland has been named the best country in the world for 2018, with Canada coming in as runner-up.

Switzerland, thanks to high ratings in citizenship and business categories, retained its position at the top of 80 countries on the 2018 Best Countries ranking index. The results, based upon a global survey of 21,000 people, was released by the U.S. News and World Report on January 23.

Canada also maintained its second place position. For a third year in a row, the Great White North also came first in the quality of life category, due to high ratings in education, health care, and public safety.

Nordic countries topped categories such as Denmark being perceived as the best country for women and raising children, and Norway as the top country for citizenship, based on human rights, gender equality, and religious freedom.

The overall top 10 countries are:

1. Switzerland
  2. Canada
  3. Germany
  4. United Kingdom
  5. Japan
  6. Sweden
  7. Australia
  8. United States
  9. France
  10. Netherlands

original source: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/overall-full-list

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Your semi-regular reminder that Forum is trash:

They have the Conservatives on track to win 200+ seats, including a plurality of seats in Quebec. This is despite the fact that, according to their own poll, a) barely half (56%) of Conservative voters think that Scheer would make the best PM, and b) Elizabeth May is the most popular federal leader in Quebec. Oh, they have Andrew Scheer as the most popular federal politician in Canada, with a +2 favourability rating, compared to Singh at -15, and Trudeau at -25.

When the Star runs a breathless headline in the next few days claiming that the Conservatives are on track to win a near-record majority, remember that *those* are the numbers they're basing their story on.

At some point, you'd think Forum might look at their methodology when they're finding results that are wholly detached from reality.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
This almost wants me to start up my own polling company. I mean, how hard could it be, considering the competition?

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Your semi-regular reminder that Forum is trash:

They have the Conservatives on track to win 200+ seats, including a plurality of seats in Quebec. This is despite the fact that, according to their own poll, a) barely half (56%) of Conservative voters think that Scheer would make the best PM, and b) Elizabeth May is the most popular federal leader in Quebec. Oh, they have Andrew Scheer as the most popular federal politician in Canada, with a +2 favourability rating, compared to Singh at -15, and Trudeau at -25.

When the Star runs a breathless headline in the next few days claiming that the Conservatives are on track to win a near-record majority, remember that *those* are the numbers they're basing their story on.

At some point, you'd think Forum might look at their methodology when they're finding results that are wholly detached from reality.
They must be on someones nice list or they'd have to close up shop. My guess is a conservative propaganda machine loves them just as they are, the 'real numbers' to drive home the base and such

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/p...i-de-gauche-la-caq-rejette-les-etiquettes.php
The CAQ refuses to be labeled as "Right Wing" and ironically just wants to be known as "Natioanliste" instead.
Legault refuses labels such as "Right" or "Left. *sigh*

this is another reason why I HATE!!!!!!!!!! Quebec Provincial politics. It's not abour Left vs Center vs Right. nope. It's all about who has the bigger Nationalist Penis.

All of this is because of The Economist since they've labeled Legault in the same bunch as Trump and the insane EU far right groups like Le Front National. Couillard has been in panic mode for a few months already so he's using as much mud as he can. They are definitely a right wing group, and a hard right fiscally speaking but they are light years away from Trump, FN and stuff like Golden Dawn. The CAQ big problem is not so the Nationaliste angle, traditionally speaking even the PLQ used to be quite a bit Nationaliste with Bourassa and Ryan (even his memoir for the party remind them to defend the French language). It's problem is that it's a populist party. Legault tries to pick the side that is the most popular on every issue. He waited to see a whole weekend to decide if the QC tramway project was good or not just to check the public opinion. He was complaining when Couillard gifted a billion to Bombardier saying it's not the Capitalist way but was ready to force the REM to go to Bombardier without competition to save them yet again. His probable finance minister Youri Chassin wrote essays and books about how supply management was a cartel and should be abolished while he had to praise the very system last week so that he does not meet the same fate as Maxim Bernier.

The big test will come when he will have to release and defend his platform. People here don't seem to like the fiscal right at all. Whether it was PQ or PLQ in the recent year we still got social advantages than the rest of the country didn't including publicly funded child care and medication insurance for everyone. If Legault tries to mess with that he's going to get burned really quickly.

Phillipe Couillard should be threading with caution right now. Accusing everyone of being a racist and far right isn't probably the best idea, especially in QC. A lot of people here have the nationaliste fiber in them and lecturing them and calling them racist isn't a very good strategy. Having Leitao say as much only in the anglophone media is also a recipe for disaster. In some of the latest polls the PLQ was below 20% with francophone voters and that outside of Montréal and Gatineau is a bona fide wipeout. His recent change of heart on the whole refugee "crisis" problem is kind of sad. When the opposition raised issues about how it could be a challenge to welcome a lot of refugees last year he acted virtuous but now that the election is coming and he's afraid things could turn sour socially or economically he's begging Trudeau for money and help saying he can't welcome that much people in such a short time.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I agree, and Couillard isn't talented when it comes to turning the tables. He lacks Charest's campaigning prowess.

IMO, Charest was a better Primier than Couillard.

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
They must be on someones nice list or they'd have to close up shop. My guess is a conservative propaganda machine loves them just as they are, the 'real numbers' to drive home the base and such

The bolded has to be it. The person who taught my polling class this past year said multiple times that polling is pretty expensive to do correctly, and that the political polls are generally done for fun/paid for by business polls. Looking at Forum's business polling page, they don't have any polls that scream "large corporate benefactor", but, then again, they probably wouldn't disclose who gives them the bulk of their business.

In any case, given how they tend to skew so far to the right -- sometimes almost comically so -- it wouldn't shock me if they're getting some money from dubious right-wing sources. It sounds almost conspiratorial to say that, but it's hard to imagine how a company that's so wildly off the mark so often could stay in business otherwise.

Put together a thread for Ontario's upcoming election: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ontario-2018-election-ot-folks-were-in-a-bad-spot.39326/

Lemme know if you guys have any questions and i'll include them in the FAQ section!

On the one hand: very nice OT.

On the other hand: for my own sanity, I'm going to try to avoid the thread as much as possible. There are only so many times you can remind people that Canada isn't the United States, and that Ford, while similar to Trump in some ways, faces a very different political reality, and relies on a totally different base.

Status
Not open for further replies.