• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Every once and a while someone messes up and reveals the Liberal Party's true colours as the party of establishment Bay Street. Good thing for them that Canadians are easily distracted by feel good imagery like having the leader paddle a canoe, walk in a gay pride parade, etc.
Maybe the NDP should spend some money on some feel good imagery if that's all it takes.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm seeing this retweeted by unsavory people a lot right now including insane right wing people. Is... this for real or a fake website put up by trolls?

Well, if we do a whois .ca search on the domain, the one thing which brings my attention is that the information is domain Privacy Protected. Which giving that it is proclaiming to be a supposed to be a "Legit Political Party", tells me that it was registered by a random person, instead of by said party itself considering that if it was a party, i'm pretty sure they would be using the business address.

akn34B5.png

Also the domain has been held since October, but yet there hasn't been any content posted since December? Kind of a red flag also.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if we do a whois .ca search on the domain, the one thing which brings my attention is that the information is domain Privacy Protected. Which giving that it is proclaiming to be a supposed to be a "Legit Political Party", tells me that it was registered by a random person, instead of by said party itself considering that if it was a party, i'm pretty sure they would be using the business address.

Also the domain has been held since October, but yet there hasn't been any content posted since December? Kind of a red flag also.

Makes sense. Considering the kind of people retweeting it well it was my first thought. Some people have way too much free time.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
It's probably real as in Jawed Anwar appears to be a real person. But it's one dude with a GoDaddy website fantasizing about an islamic political party. For the usual suspects, it still enough to be a sure sign that Shariah Law is coming.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha well I've read complaints from NDP Jagmeet haters that Jagmeet being chosen as leader was an example of a foolish pivot to this strategy.
Well I imagine it's a feel good strategy for the CPC since a minority leader is likely enough to make some rural white voters clutch their pearls and vote for a piece of cardboard. I think Singh was the best option of the people who actually wanted the job, but the competition looked like the first two weeks of an American idol season rather than the last 2.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
I like Singh and I think he was the best of the pack. The criticism I've heard seems to be around his flashy good looks and an accusation that he's not left wing enough, but IMO I don't really see it. During the campaign he put forward progressive ideas that his supposed-more-progressive opponents didn't take up, such as deregulation of drugs as a fresh approach to handling the overdose crisis.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine anyone in the NDP doing better. The problem is Trudeau seems young and "cool" (do the kids still say cool?), coupled with the typical Liberal campaign-from-the-Left NDP pickpocketing.

NDP fundraising would be truly horrific with Ashton as leader I'm sure. As for not being left wing enough... pretty sure he told Vassy on PnP a week or two ago that he wouldn't give Alberta money for rail cars for oil and would invest in renewables instead which is about as left as any political leader on the field right now. He's also the only leader in opposition who actually describes the party position concretely rather than just a nebulous criticism of the Liberals without any solid alternatives.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding NDP fundraising I read some article at some point that stated that when Mulcair was given the boot he checked out and just started going through the motions (I mean who wouldn't), and so the NDP machine that had been built up by Layton fell apart over the months due to lack of leadership and interest. The party is way back at square one and is in so much more of a rebuilding phase than it really should be. They probably screwed up by not handing over leadership to some interim leader instead of Mulcair.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I can't imagine anyone in the NDP doing better. The problem is Trudeau seems young and "cool" (do the kids still say cool?), coupled with the typical Liberal campaign-from-the-Left NDP pickpocketing.

NDP fundraising would be truly horrific with Ashton as leader I'm sure. As for not being left wing enough... pretty sure he told Vassy on PnP a week or two ago that he wouldn't give Alberta money for rail cars for oil and would invest in renewables instead which is about as left as any political leader on the field right now. He's also the only leader in opposition who actually describes the party position concretely rather than just a nebulous criticism of the Liberals without any solid alternatives.

The NDP also has the problem that right now one of its current bases is the Youth. But this base is also as of late jumping ship or migrating over to the Green Party. In my personal circle alone during this last Ontario election that was very much the case despite not being within the Waterloo riding they won.

At this point their youth base are getting tired of being shafted and want change that helps hem. They want action on the climate, they want action on social services, they want action on student loans, healthcare, welfare reforms, they want action and the current Liberal/Conservative parties aren't giving them that change. They know the NDP hasn't been able to deliver them this federally; instead failing to secure government, or staying in place, or shrinking. This plus over the last couple years they have also seen the Green Party start to make continuous gains. So as a result, support is being syphoned off.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking at this from the BC point of view where we have both NDP and Greens participating in government, (so YMMV depending on your province) and substantial differences are apparent to me. If anything the merger that makes the most sense at the Federal level would be a Fed Liberal/Green merger. In BC the Greens occupy that centrist technocrat space that the Federal Liberals often occupy.

Fundamentally the difference between the Greens and NDP is the same as that between the Liberals and the NDP. The NDP is a labour party and the others aren't. For this reason the NDP has a different voting base, focus and approach to problems.

The biggest difference between the BC Greens and the BC NDP is that the Greens have no traction in rural areas outside of the Island and cities, and so while the Greens put the environment first and are able to pitch policies that would be disproportionately harmful to rural areas, the NDP has had to have a more balanced approach.

Edit:
The Federal Liberal friends I have that were fed up with the BC Liberals voted for the BC Greens instead of the BC NDP. They were more comfortable with that party's positioning.

Last edited:

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
That is why the NDP and Greens need to merge

It's a difficult combo. The left as the NDP left needs a lot of money to fund their ideas and the Alberta's oil industry is like 10% of the country's GDP. It's really difficult to be all for the environment, refuse oil and find a quick, efficient replacement industry worth billions of dollars. This is not to downplay their ideas at all and I think ideas like a basic guaranteed income and a nation wide public pharmacare are the way to go but you cannot simply reject one of the bigger way to fund it outright. I sure find it awful Trudeau bought a pipeline (and of top of that it's court blocked) but I still realize that it will take some time to replace that market and you can't simply turn it off overnight without severe economic impact. The greens would never let something like this pass. Heck, May got arrested while protesting the pipeline.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I have a question. Did Ford officially roll back my 3rd week of paid vacation or paid sick days in Ontario? I wasn't sure what he actually did or didn't end up doing haha. Man, I hate him.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Also it is now legal for your employer to ask for sick notes again
What an incredible waste of a clinic's time. Not to mention you're already losing wages for the day if you aren't on salary and then have to pay for a fucking note that they'll sell you regardless of you being sick or not.

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit that the concept of a supposed "1-percenter" ringing in the new year with Veuve Clicquot Brut and some fancy tarts plus caviar crackers as an example of extravagance is kind of ridiculous.

Basically a bottom-tier 'fancy party' from the looks of it.

I'm not sure if that makes his accompanying comments more or less douchey.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I have to admit that the concept of a supposed "1-percenter" ringing in the new year with Veuve Clicquot Brut and some fancy tarts plus caviar crackers as an example of extravagance is kind of ridiculous.

Basically a bottom-tier 'fancy party' from the looks of it.

I'm not sure if that makes his accompanying comments more or less douchey.
I've bought a bottle of veuve cliquot for New Years and wouldn't consider myself in the upper half of middle class lol so... yeah I think his comments make him look even more douchey. The equivalent of looking down on dirty plebs drinking coors light while you drink blue moon.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
So there's a BC byelection coming up and if the NDP lose then the seat count will be 43/43 and we'll probably have to have another election lol.

The NDP probably won't lose but still, it's crazy that instead of a normal, boring byelection , it is in a way another vote on the viability of the NDP as government and Horgan as Premier.

Promising everything in Nanaimo ahead of significant byelection

VICTORIA — The official call for the Nanaimo byelection had just gone out Wednesday morning, when NDP candidate Sheila Malcolmson weighed in with a reminder of the stakes for the Jan. 30 vote.

"Today is the start of the most significant byelection campaign we've ever had in B.C.," said the statement from her campaign.

"The stakes are high and the choice is clear — we can continue to build a strong future with John Horgan and the B.C. NDP, or we can risk going back to the B.C. Liberals."

No arguing on that score with the presumed front-runner to fill the vacancy created when longtime NDP MLA Leonard Krog sought and won the mayor's chair in Nanaimo.

Governing parties lose byelections more often than not. When defeat happens in a safe seat like Nanaimo the outcome can embarrass the government and force a change of direction.

But there's no modern-day precedent for the situation that would present itself were the NDP to lose Nanaimo to the Liberals — a 43-43 seat tie in the legislature between the Opposition and the governing partnership of New Democrats and Greens.

If the winner were Malcolmson or Ney, the NDP-Green partnership would still command a two-seat edge in the house. If Harris pulls an upset, the government could survive for a time with the tiebreaking services of Speaker Darryl Plecas.

But the hold on power would be precarious. Not likely would the NDP be able to hang on until the next scheduled election in October 2021.

The common practice in byelections is for voters to send governments a message: either "smarten up" or "stay the course."

But if Nanaimo byelection voters choose the Liberals later this month, they'll be sending the whole province a message to prepare for another election sooner rather than later.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So there's a BC byelection coming up and if the NDP lose then the seat count will be 43/43 and we'll probably have to have another election lol.

The NDP probably won't lose but still, it's crazy that instead of a normal, boring byelection , it is in a way another vote on the viability of the NDP as government and Horgan as Premier.

Fuck. If we go back to a liberal government I might actually quit life

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Incoming Dairy Farmers protests and political power plays?

La Presse (FR) is reporting that the new Canada's Food Guide will get rid of its dairy group section and daily recommendations. Dairy products are going to be lumped together with nuts and non-meat proteins in a "Other protein sources" group. Pretty big change. "Leaks" also shows that they will now recommend water instead of milk for drinks and legumes (chickpeas) for snacks instead of cheese. The way the slogans and recommendations are written implies price is definitely one of the concern as they keep repeating that water is free.

Source of the "leak" is indirectly the marketing agency that worked on marketing the new guide. Their report is available online according to La Presse as it's a public document and included the guide. Some hilarious (or sad depending on your mood) conclusion from the 210 000$ marketing study is that the "blue version" of the guide was more popular than the "turquoise version".

It's pretty huge as elementary schools, hospitals and public institutions use the good guide as their basis on what to feed people.

UPDATE :
Dairy farmers are asking Trudeau to intervene. That was fast haha.

Last edited:

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Remember when woke Michael Coren was on Sun News Network with Ezra, Faith and the gang?

Deplorables are not all irredeemable afterall.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when woke Michael Coren was on Sun News Network with Ezra, Faith and the gang?

Deplorables are not all irredeemable afterall.

Michael Coren has turn a new leaf as it seems. I've been following him the past year and he seems to criticize the right with gusto now.

The dairy farmers are the most privileged fucks considering their evonomies are managed.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Incoming Dairy Farmers protests and political power plays?

La Presse (FR) is reporting that the new Canada's Food Guide will get rid of its dairy group section and daily recommendations. Dairy products are going to be lumped together with nuts and non-meat proteins in a "Other protein sources" group. Pretty big change. "Leaks" also shows that they will now recommend water instead of milk for drinks and legumes (chickpeas) for snacks instead of cheese. The way the slogans and recommendations are written implies price is definitely one of the concern as they keep repeating that water is free.

Source of the "leak" is indirectly the marketing agency that worked on marketing the new guide. Their report is available online according to La Presse as it's a public document and included the guide. Some hilarious (or sad depending on your mood) conclusion from the 210 000$ marketing study is that the "blue version" of the guide was more popular than the "turquoise version".

It's pretty huge as elementary schools, hospitals and public institutions use the good guide as their basis on what to feed people.

UPDATE :
Dairy farmers are asking Trudeau to intervene. That was fast haha.
Between this and NAFTA2 changes to dairy sector? Oh boy....

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
CBC continues to point to signs that 2019 will be rough for Alberta. Can't wait til the writ drops so I can hear even more "give us our money back, Ottawa" rants than usual.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
CBC continues to point to signs that 2019 will be rough for Alberta. Can't wait til the writ drops so I can hear even more "give us our money back, Ottawa" rants than usual.
"Albertexit means Albertexit"
-Jason Kenney, 2019
Please don't make Kenney Premier, Alberta. He is dumb enough to actually consider this.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
-Jason Kenney, 2019
Please don't make Kenney Premier, Alberta. He is dumb enough to actually consider this.

"Great" insight from Rex Murphy; "no one else gives a single fuck about the environment so let's contribute to our demise so we can temporarily profit! We're not doing enough so let's do nothing!" Thanks for the insight old man.

Triple down on oil, because that's how you plan for the future.
We need rail cars! We need pipelines! We need rail cars! We need pipelines! Vote UCP! That'll show that oil hater Trudeau Albertans mean business! What do you mean he bought a pipeline?

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Do kids in Alberta just get baptized in the tar sands?

I mean I know car manufacturing was responsible for a lot of the blue collar middle class wealth in the province, but it's absurd to have the government pay people to make cars no one wants to drive just because no one thought about investing in electric cars 20 years ago.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm. No, not baptized there. One does not simply walk into Mordor to be baptized. It's more of a mythical place described in Albertan Orthodox as the land that God told Moses about, and Moses led his followers there and lo, Albertans were granted blessings of overtime by our Heavenly Father, and all Albertans know it to be a blessed land that money flows from because Albertans are the chosen people.

Last edited:

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
-Jason Kenney, 2019

I wonder if Kenney remembers back in June 2015, Stephen Harper committing Canada along with the rest of the G7 to ending all production and use of carbon-based energy by the end of this century. Specifically for Canada to also drastically reduce our current levels by 2030...

It is "not just 2050 or the end of the century, but 2030, the kind of targets we are talking about will require a transformation in our energy sector," the prime minister said.

I wonder if that will be brought up during the campaign.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wonder if Kenney remembers back in June 2015, Stephen Harper committing Canada along with the rest of the G7 to ending all production and use of carbon-based energy by the end of this century. Specifically for Canada to also drastically reduce our current levels by 2030...

I wonder if that will be brought up during the campaign.
I don't think even Harper remembers that (especially considering that Harper was originally the one to push for the Keystone pipeline and his overall legacy includes, among other things, massive deregulation of Canada's environmental laws). If they do, they'll probably forget all that when he gets on the campaign trail for Andy "No Climate Change Plan" Bobandy.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
lol Alberta is straight up lying in their pro-pipeline ads that are being played constantly on Hockey Night in Canada, but the advertising standards council doesn't police political ads so ~whatever~.

How Alberta is getting away with running deceptive ads on Trans Mountain
Canada's Code of Advertising Standards is meant to ensure accuracy, but doesn't apply to 'political issues'

The advertisement Susan saw was a cutesy cartoon format — featuring animations of mountains, hospitals and wind turbines, along with birds clasping coins and people erecting trees.

"One of Canada's most valuable resources has flowed along the Trans Mountain Pipeline since 1953," said the narrator. "Enriching our lives in many ways." An upbeat jingle played in the background.

Then the ad went on to say "the expansion doesn't mean more oil production" — a claim Susan was sure was false.

"The ad says the pipeline will not increase oil production," she wrote in her complaint. "But news articles show that pipeline availability is a factor in increasing oil production."

She wasn't wrong to be concerned about the accuracy of the statement, but it turns out the Canadian Code of Advertising Standards — including the important rules that ensure advertisements are accurate and not deceptive or misleading — don't apply to advertising paid for by the government that is deemed to be about a "political issue."

Susan was appalled.

"Government should be held to a higher standard," she told The Narwhal.

Jonathan Rose, associate professor of political studies at Queen's University, echoed Susan's concerns. Rose told The Narwhal he worries about truth in advertising by governments, and noted that companies are held to higher standards. "It is bizarre that the standard does not apply to parties or governments," he said.

"You wonder whether government is advertising at the behest of corporate interest," he said.

"If the government is making an argument the same as a corporation, that should give us pause."

And in its final arguments, included in a document filed with the National Energy Board in December 2015, Trans Mountain made its intentions clear: "Additional pipeline capacity is required for growing Canadian production."

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
lol Alberta is straight up lying in their pro-pipeline ads that are being played constantly on Hockey Night in Canada, but the advertising standards council doesn't police political ads so ~whatever~.
The worst part of that to me is the disbelief that another provincial government can run political ads outside of their own jurisdiction! Isn't that tantamount to election meddling?

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. We've been seeing them in Saskatchewan pretty much every night in primetime at least once, sometimes multiple times a day.
Jesus. What a ridiculous PR campaign. "More pipeline capacity doesn't mean more oil production; we intend to transport freshly minted $100 bills with the additional capacity; oil has nothing to do with it!"

Status
Not open for further replies.