• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
LOL, even our newly minted Center-Right CAQ Government wants nothing to do with Energy East "le pétrole Albertain sal"
This is why "Quebec" is a swear word to so many Albertans lol.

They're definitely everywhere. It's ridiculous.
What a waste of money. Is this supposed to be a Canadian Kickstarter for goodwill towards the "short term solution" railcars to transport oil that Alberta has been demanding from Ottawa, or a plea for the courts to fast track the pipeline by stomping all over people's rights? Either way... questionable spending.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
But Alberta oil is dirty.
This is true.

Everyone but the magical God given name of Alberta is a swear word to Albertans. Which coincidently is also their downfall. Maybe if they were nicer to the other provinces the other provinces would play along.
Partially true, but it's mostly Quebec and (this past year) BC. The holier-than-thou shtick wears so quickly. AB is like Disney's Beast trying to dress up and be polite to get what it wants, then flipping its shit and smashing things in a tantrum. Sad part is too many of us don't realize that at the end of this we don't transform into a prince, we transform into Oliver Twist holding our hands out to Ottawa for transfer payments when we are a have-not province.

I'm sure tough talking Jason Kenney will build bridges and positive relationships with other provinces and Ottawa if he's given a mandate in May though. /s. Albertans seem to mostly love being told we're being mistreated so I'm sure his message will resonate with the uninformed masses. I'm curious to see how the cities vote considering NDP won the majority of large population centres, including all of Edmonton and the surround area, and about 60% of Calgary's ridings.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel like Alberta is much worse or better than any other province in the current climate. Doug Ford won Ontario with populism and ideological ideas and he was a complete idiot that shouldn't have won in the first place. He's also throwing a tantrum about the carbon tax. Quebec elected a populist premier that is throwing a tantrum about immigration targets and scored points with bigots. New Brunswick had a party during the last campaign with the main purpose of getting rid of bilingualism. And right now Saskatchewan is throwing a tantrum about equalization payments/calculations. No one is really happy in the great white north right now :S

Division is the hot thing in 2019.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I don't feel like Alberta is much worse or better than any other province in the current climate. Doug Ford won Ontario with populism and ideological ideas and he was a complete idiot that shouldn't have won in the first place. He's also throwing a tantrum about the carbon tax. Quebec elected a populist premier that is throwing a tantrum about immigration targets and scored points with bigots. New Brunswick had a party during the last campaign with the main purpose of getting rid of bilingualism. And right now Saskatchewan is throwing a tantrum about equalization payments/calculations. No one is really happy in the great white north right now :S

Division is the hot thing in 2019.
speaking of immigrants, restaurants can't find any young people to work and some are closing down, not because of business but because nobody wants to work in restaurants. LOL

it is true that the pendulum for skilled immigration has forgotten the importance of non-skilled immigration.

the bar has been risen too high when it comes to skill labour that unskilled labour is dying for employees

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
speaking of immigrants, restaurants can't find any young people to work and some are closing down, not because of business but because nobody wants to work in restaurants. LOL

it is true that the pendulum for skilled immigration has forgotten the importance of non-skilled immigration.

the bar has been risen too high when it comes to skill labour that unskilled labour is dying for employees

At this point, the only real source of "unskilled" labor are HS grads and/or undergrad students. And both of them are not willing to work for embarrassingly low pay.

I'm sorry, restaurant owners, but pay your servers a livable wage with reasonable hours.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I think those ads are on my CBCToronto station more than any other commercial. Like a sad attempt to get me to go to Trudeau in Ottawa and demand we help the poor alberta oil producers
This seems so incredibly strange to me. 40 years of being bragging grandstanding assholes and now we try to buy some sympathy? Lol. Ok AB.

At this point, the only real source of "unskilled" labor are HS grads and/or undergrad students. And both of them are not willing to work for embarrassingly low pay.

I'm sorry, restaurant owners, but pay your servers a livable wage with reasonable hours.
Bu-bu-but slim margins! Small business! They won't survive! People will get sticker shock from menu prices with realistic pricing! Fill in the blanks for whatever other stupid excuses defenders of the status quo use.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Restaurants being as volatile a venture as they are is no excuse for not paying your workers a fair wage. Pretty simple solution to that, i'd say.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
A good and well-trained server is like gold for a business. I don't understand why restaurants can't see that turnover is terrible for their bottom line.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yah importing unskilled labour because Canadians wont take low paying jobs in high cost cities doesn't seem like the solution.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
it has been the solution through out late 19th and most of the 20th Century until only in the last 20 years that they decided to restrict immigration based on "skill"

I thought the skills based stuff stretched a little further back to the 80s as well?

But otherwise, yes it's correct. Canada has a history of allowing unskilled labor in, especially with minority groups.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I thought the skills based stuff stretched a little further back to the 80s as well?

But otherwise, yes it's correct. Canada has a history of allowing unskilled labor in, especially with minority groups.
yeah it started around the late 80s and early 90s, I know lots of families who came in during the 1960s and 1970s who didn't even finish High School but still worked with grit and dedication

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Canada PoliERA 2 |OT| Singh Me A Song of Fair Wages

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
yeah it started around the late 80s and early 90s, I know lots of families who came in during the 1960s and 1970s who didn't even finish High School but still worked with grit and dedication
Oh yea, I get it. My mom came from Singapore without even a high school diploma (I believe her sister referred her). Now I am part of the top 3% of my age in income after being born from her and a 2nd generation father. I will be paying 25k in taxes this year because they let her in 40yrs+ ago.

Unskilled immigration has a use, and purpose, especially for cities like Vancouver and Toronto that have ethnic communities that can support and provide more opportunity for these people. I just think now, 40 years later with expenses higher we are doing no favors if we don't take a more careful look.

• We need social programs to let Canadians and Immigrants an opportunity to pursue education / increase labour skills while working these jobs
  • Basic income for low level Canadians so they can work these jobs and actually live in cities.
  • Realize that many jobs are becoming automated in the non - low skill industrial sector (Warehouse jobs that pay $15-$25hr) are becoming harder to get
I really think we need more tax deferment for low income people that wish to buy houses / rent in major cities. A tax credit to renters / mortgage payments for those that earn low wages at the expense of higher tax rates for people that make more only makes sense to me.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Maneil99 there are tax deferred options for buying a house. Put your savings into RRSP for a few years; take all your tax credits received from that; dump it back into your RRSP, and then CRA allows you to remove it for first time homebuying with a plan to pay it back into RRSP. If nothing else that grows your down payment by the 25%+ in tax that you would have paid and then the growth on said investment, which will be minimal based on a short term horizon likely using T bills and government bonds but still better than a POS savings account rates.

As for tax incentives for paying rent; I got tax rebates for paying rent in Manitoba if memory serves. The downside was I had to live in Manitoba. Sask and AB didn't offer me the same advantages but their economies are in better shape.

As for higher expenses being an excuse for limiting unskilled immigration... not only does that stink of "fuck you, got mine", it's also inflation talking, most things are likely more affordable than when your mom came here outside of two ridiculous housing markets.

Last edited:

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yea, I get it. My mom came from Singapore without even a high school diploma (I believe her sister referred her). Now I am part of the top 3% of my age in income after being born from her and a 2nd generation father. I will be paying 25k in taxes this year because they let her in 40yrs+ ago.

Unskilled immigration has a use, and purpose, especially for cities like Vancouver and Toronto that have ethnic communities that can support and provide more opportunity for these people. I just think now, 40 years later with expenses higher we are doing no favors if we don't take a more careful look.

• We need social programs to let Canadians and Immigrants an opportunity to pursue education / increase labour skills while working these jobs
  • Basic income for low level Canadians so they can work these jobs and actually live in cities.
  • Realize that many jobs are becoming automated in the non - low skill industrial sector (Warehouse jobs that pay $15-$25hr) are becoming harder to get
I really think we need more tax deferment for low income people that wish to buy houses / rent in major cities. A tax credit to renters / mortgage payments for those that earn low wages at the expense of higher tax rates for people that make more only makes sense to me.

The problem with social programs is that oftentimes low income minorities don't even have the time because they're on subsistence living. Basic income may help to a certain degree, but many times the problem at that income level are mandatory costs and purchases -- ie. food, rent, etc -- that are increasing at an ever accelerated rate. And that's not factoring things like property tax, which may be passed down to renters.

It's almost quite amazing how many economic policies are regressive despite our best efforts.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Get a load of this charming candidate for Maxime's People Party of Canada in Burnaby, Laura-Lynn Tyler Thompson:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/peoples-party-canada-bernier-tyler-thompson-1.4970112?cmp=rss
One of the first candidates out of the gate for Maxime Bernier's new party calls the idea of gender fluidity "the greatest and most insidious assault against our children that this nation has ever seen" and says she has dedicated her life to fighting it.

A devout Christian, ardent abortion foe and former talk show host, Laura-Lynn Tyler Thompson might seem like a surprising choice for a party associated with libertarian principles.
The Christian pundit has dedicated a portion of her life to fighting what she calls "a global initiative to make the ideology of the LGBTQ well accepted and taught even in pre-school," according to an article in Light Magazine.
But wait, there's more....
She went on to say that she doesn't oppose anti-bullying programs in schools, citing her own experiences with bullying in public school.

"I was the only white, blond girl in the entire school, if you can imagine," she told the site. "I stuck out like a sore thumb, and it was very scary, actually. It was very intimidating. It made me cry every day."
Hahahahahahaha

She also tried to run for the Conservative Party and was turned down... twice. But she's apparently cool with Maxime. Despite being a textbook Republican nutjob.

She's running in Singh's riding, so hey, at least he won't finish dead last! >_>

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Thompson worked as a host on The 700 Club Canada, a spinoff of the Christian Broadcasting Network's long-running flagship show, but left it in 2017. She blamed her departure on LGBT activists who allegedly "targeted me mercilessly by calling The 700 Club Canada."
I'm sure they "targeted" her out of the blue. lol

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
It fluctuates with the frequency in which you post in this forum gutter. I expect plenty of posts from you at election time.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Get a load of this charming candidate for Maxime's People Party of Canada in Burnaby, Laura-Lynn Tyler Thompson:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/peoples-party-canada-bernier-tyler-thompson-1.4970112?cmp=rss

But wait, there's more....

Hahahahahahaha

She also tried to run for the Conservative Party and was turned down... twice. But she's apparently cool with Maxime. Despite being a textbook Republican nutjob.

She's running in Singh's riding, so hey, at least he won't finish dead last! >_>

Lol, it seems to me that Max is desperate to have a full slate of candidates to add credence to his party, meaning he will take just about anyone even if their beliefs are not necessarily congruent with his party's Libertarian bent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If he loses the byelecton, can we say Liberal supermajority?
S0uOdww.png

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how often I hear "Trudeau is done, there's no way he wins a second term". The delusion in the middle of O&G country is strong. Then you ask what it is about Scheer that makes him a better candidate and you either get "who?" as a response or a handwave dismissing his lack of policy and personality.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Am a bad NDPer if I kind-of sort-of wouldn't be too sad if Singh lost his by-election? I understand the need for a strong NDP (or an NDP that is barely functional as opposed to one that is dysfunctional) but I still don't think Singh is ideal. He has to go one day or another... better to rip the bandaid off now?

That doesn't mean I want him to lose either... just that I won't exactly be torn if he loses.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how often I hear "Trudeau is done, there's no way he wins a second term". The delusion in the middle of O&G country is strong. Then you ask what it is about Scheer that makes him a better candidate and you either get "who?" as a response or a handwave dismissing his lack of policy and personality.

Same way Ford got elected.

He had nothing but he wasn't Wynne.

People vote against more often than for.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Well hopefully Ontario doesn't condemn us all to hell, because we all know Alberta will be voting bluer than a unemployed rigger who won't work for $70k because he "knows" he's worth 150+ thanks to his grade 10 education (and has payments to make on his new F350).

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Outremont is also having a by-election that might be interesting, as it is Thomas Mulcair's former seat.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone fill me in on the difference between elected, historical, and hereditary chiefs? I've been reading and listening to various leaders give their press conferences, and I have zero idea as to what's going on in BC right now.

Like, how big is this group? How much support do the hereditary chiefs have in the wider community?

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Am a bad NDPer if I kind-of sort-of wouldn't be too sad if Singh lost his by-election? I understand the need for a strong NDP (or an NDP that is barely functional as opposed to one that is dysfunctional) but I still don't think Singh is ideal. He has to go one day or another... better to rip the bandaid off now?

That doesn't mean I want him to lose either... just that I won't exactly be torn if he loses.
Nah it's pretty much how I feel too. Singh has been quite the disappointing leader.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone give me the lowdown on why Singh is a disappointing leader?

There was that one time where he was asked a question and he turned to Guy Caron and asked him what the party's position was on that question. Live too.

He's also made no friends with saskatchewan NDP members.

also, he has had no face time in Ottawa considering he has no seat.

in other news, Scott Brison is leaving.

Last edited:

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
There was that one time where he was asked a question and he turned to Guy Caron and asked him what the party's position was on that question. Live too.
I honestly think this was a watershed moment that painted a picture of him that hasn't dulled. Sort of a turning point from a young guy who seemed like he could fire up the base to a portrait of a bumbling idiot. Add his lack of a seat and the doubt that entails, lack of press coverage, etc. and you sort of have a Sideshow Bob stepping on rakes scenario.

Last edited:

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think this was a watershed moment that painted a picture of him that hasn't dulled. Sort of a turning point from a young guy who seemed like he could fire up the base to a portrait of a bumbling idiot. Add his lack of a seat and the doubt that entails, lack of press coverage, etc. and you sort of have a Sideshow Bob stepping on rakes scenario.

That's it. He hasn't had much screen time. And when he does it's not good. He could have been a super star in Horwath's party but gave it all up.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
That's it. He hasn't had much screen time. And when he does it's not good. He could have been a super star in Horwath's party but gave it all up.
He would have taken over Horwath's party and likely led that NDP to big gains in the future. But he's basically been completely absent from Federal politics despite being leader.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Can anyone give me the lowdown on why Singh is a disappointing leader?
In addition to what has been said, there was this. And there's the fact that he's actually polling 3rd in his own riding, which is just embarrassing.

He's also kind of out of touch. I remember someone (Vamphuntr maybe?) a while ago mentioning how he loved to gloat about his Rolls Royce cars, expensive coats, etc. whilst acting like he's the working class/poor's champion.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
In addition to what has been said, there was this. And there's the fact that he's actually polling 3rd in his own riding, which is just embarrassing.

He's also kind of out of touch. I remember someone (Vamphuntr maybe?) a while ago mentioning how he loved to gloat about his Rolls Royce cars, expensive coats, etc. whilst acting like he's the working class/poor's champion.

He is, quite literally, what people accuse Trudeau of being with respect to class representation.

Status
Not open for further replies.