• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Between some of this shit, Davos, and the things McConnell has been saying in the US Senate, the guillotines really need to come back out.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Between some of this shit, Davos, and the things McConnell has been saying in the US Senate, the guillotines really need to come back out.
No, we just need to stop voting for empty platitudes and hold people to account when that's what they give us, but so long as left-right tribalism exists, that won't happen for obvious reasons. Playing right into the hands of conservatives who work hard to try and make sure they win both ways. This is why conservative politicians don't care about their own bases, because they'll either vote them in anyways or the conservative agenda will find traction in leftist politics just enough to wait out the 8-12 years before a regime change happens.

Centrism sure is great, huh?

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
No, we just need to stop voting for empty platitudes and hold people to account when that's what they give us, but so long as left-right tribalism exists, that won't happen for obvious reasons. Playing right into the hands of conservatives who work hard to try and make sure they win both ways. This is why conservative politicians don't care about their own bases, because they'll either vote them in anyways or the conservative agenda will find traction in leftist politics just enough to wait out the 8-12 years before a regime change happens.

Centrism sure is great, huh?

Centrism doesn't have to be godawful. John Tory in Toronto is a good example of how to do that without the usual tropes of right wing obstructionism and hack and slash mentality. He's not the greatest mayor or anything, but he does talk and listen across both isles.

Problem is, I don't see that at our provincial or federal level.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
"absence makes the heart grow fonder"

Can't believe how much I am missing Wynne, in hindsight maybe I was a little too hard on her? Or is that just my desperation talking.

Not to mention I'm actually... exited to vote Liberal later this year, wow never thought I would say that! This right wing surge worldwide really makes me appreciate every morsel of rationality I can get my grimy little hands on.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
"absence makes the heart grow fonder"

Can't believe how much I am missing Wynne, in hindsight maybe I was a little too hard on her? Or is that just my desperation talking.

Not to mention I'm actually... exited to vote Liberal later this year, wow never thought I would say that! This right wing surge worldwide really makes me appreciate every morsel of rationality I can get my grimy little hands on.

Really what it comes down to is that no matter how bad Wynne was, Ford was always going to be 1000000000000x worse. Thats just how bad Ford was. Which is exactly why the end result of a Two Party System that FPTP causes is absolute bullshit.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The people who say there's more in common with Manitoba are probably the Indigenous, as their communities have a lot more in common with each other between those provinces (larger sections of the population, larger urban presence, etc.)

Just filling in an information gap for those unaware.
That probably makes sense, particularly when the colonialist borders aren't reflective of how they see their lands. I don't know if it would explain why so many MBers think of themselves as close to SK but SK people feel closer to Alberta...
Centrism doesn't have to be godawful. John Tory in Toronto is a good example of how to do that without the usual tropes of right wing obstructionism and hack and slash mentality. He's not the greatest mayor or anything, but he does talk and listen across both isles.

Problem is, I don't see that at our provincial or federal level.
Billion dollar subway to nowhere. John Tory's vision in a nutshell.

It's almost like a 4 billion dollar pipeline that won't get built any time soon.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That probably makes sense, particularly when the colonialist borders aren't reflective of how they see their lands. I don't know if it would explain why so many MBers think of themselves as close to SK but SK people feel closer to Alberta...
Because it is, perhaps in every way but politically. If Manitoba is going to have anything in common with any province, Saskatchewan is probably the one. Similar by provincial population, density in the urban centre of said population, large Indigenous communities.
But Saskatchewan sees itself more like Alberta thanks to political alignment among the white populations in both provinces and have taken to sharing Alberta's victimhood complex wrt the federal government for equally shit reasons.

Lmao even Singh's primary leadership rival thinks Mulcair is butthurt.

Anyone with eyes and ears knows that Mulcair is butthurt, but it is neat to see Angus stand up for the party for the first time in a little while.

Last edited:

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Wow at these Quebec numbers.

Singh doesn't have a lot of options. Atlantic Canada (maybe) and BC. I don't see the NDP picking up seats in Ontario.

For reference

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
You'd need to break down the national polls for that (like with Abacus or Nanos). I dunno if there is a specific federal polling for Ontario.

My rage isn't with the snow on the back shield but the shit they leave on the roof causing a smoke screen when they go. Also, I've seen many snow sheets fly up into the air on the 417 too. Ottawa drivers are the worse.

Last edited:

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Bloc at 21% is insane. CAn't believe it.

Bernier at 6 is great. I hope he goes down from there. He attracts garbage.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Could the Bloc numbers come from the redistribution of NDP voters? The top 3 parties seem to have benefited from the NDP collapse as they all see gains.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Mainstreet Poll from last week: in QC:
42% PLC
19% CPC
13% BQ
8%-9% NDP

That's a 8 point disparity with Léger.

I don't believe any poll that has the Bloc over at 20% Federally overperforming their PQ provincial counterpart in 2019

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Bloc has a new leader, who's definitely an upgrade over the last two, but I don't think he's that well know among the populace so I doubt it made much of an impact. Still, I can see people who voted NDP the last two times going back to the Bloc this time around, especially in the Montreal suburbs.

A ton of Quebec ridings will be won with less than 30%.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
I thought Bloc was on its way out in 2015.

I didn't expect the FNDP to flub up this badly.

It still remains useful for those who want to cast a protest vote, but not vote for the Cons, especially right now considering the leader of the other alternative is a "turban-wearing islamist who's gonna implement shariah law"*.

*Their words, not mine, obviously.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
It still remains useful for those who want to cast a protest vote, but not vote for the Cons, especially right now considering the leader of the other alternative is a "turban-wearing islamist who's gonna implement shariah law"*.

*Their words, not mine, obviously.

I thought the drama teacher was imposing the Sharia law?

I had to google translate some of those French words... Are those parody ads or actual ads from JdM?

Also, this is lol worthy...

Last item:

Projected onto a map: http://338canada.com/map

Last edited:

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2019/02/04/bloc-et-conservateurs-a-egalite

here is the headline in JdM, they are ignoring the Liberals lead and say "Cons and Bloc tied head-to-head"

this is the garbage of PKP owned newspapers, inventing a narrative

The good thing with the social media boom is that people are finally starting to realize that every newspaper has definite slant and editorial line. JdeM is pure trash. You can read the same thing ad nauseam but with different wording in every columns.

The NDP massive failure in QC is so sad and it seems to show Layton was only a fluke. Seems NDP fell in the same pitfall that European left think-tanks did.

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
As a British Columbian, I identify a lot with that geographical chart. I feel much more in common with Washington than any Canadian province, although I've got love for the maritimes.

Even though we're moving soon I think I'll always be BC at heart.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
I thought the drama teacher was imposing the Sharia law?

I had to google translate some of those French words... Are those parody ads or actual ads from JdM?
Those are parody ads by 'Rock et Belles Oreilles' (or RBO for short). They were a very popular humor group in Québec. They did make a lot of political humor too.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Nanos had BQ at 14%
MainStreet ad em at: 13.5%

so Léger jumping to 21% seems like an anomoly

I expect them to actually go up eventually though. With Alberta's election Kenney is going to hit the QC nail again and again blaming QC for all of Alberta's trouble and this will undoubtedly help them. We are also about to enter again into the carnival of mediocrity that will be the religion debate and the only one without anything to lose there are the BQ. It has the potential to be a banana peel for Trudeau and Scheer with Singh being already KO on that front. People will be running to Trudeau for help but since the recent polls has showed that in most cases a majority of people seems to be in agreement with the CAQ's proposition he has the potential to step on a landmine, especially if he double downs on it like Mulcair did. Scheer cannot agree with any of it because of the religious zealots including Christians fundamentalists in his ranks. The only one left to defend the "precious" project will be the CAQ and the Bloc. In the Bloc's history it always scored well when the province was feeling shafted by Canada and constantly piled on by the rest of the provinces so it would not be surprising if it happens again.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Weird times when the usual "he's just doing what he said he'd do!" BS doesn't apply because he couldn't even be bothered to tell anyone what he'd do.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Weird times when the usual "he's just doing what he said he'd do!" BS doesn't apply because he couldn't even be bothered to tell anyone what he'd do.
Yeah, but now we get to use the much more satisfying. "We told you so. We told you exactly what was going to happen and you didn't listen. Listen to us next time." approach which stings much deeper psychologicaly on the people who aren't completely lost.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
My only wish is that it poisons the well for voters in the upcoming federal election. But that's wishful thinking.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the fact that we have one right wing party vs three left wing parties all eating up each other's votes, there's a massive imbalance and the province has to deal with a right wing government because of it despite the vast majority of the province voting for a left wing party.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I hate the fact that we have one right wing party vs three left wing parties all eating up each other's votes, there's a massive imbalance and the province has to deal with a right wing government because of it despite the vast majority of the province voting for a left wing party.
We have 2 right wing parties now ;)

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. How is that even possible? The people of gatineau are still cool though. If not a bit crazy for some of them.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.