• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
"Defends Canada" sure is some spin...
Defends Canadian workers,
better?

Legault and Sheer are okay having thousands of Federal Employees lose their jobs.

Even Singh waw okay with Federal Workers losing their jobs.. so Social Democratic. Then Singh walked it back and added "we only support it if no jobs are lost""

so the NDP changed their tune.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Defends Canadian workers,
better?

Legault and Sheer are okay having thousands of Federal Employees lose their jobs.
Even Singh is also okay with Federal Workers losing their jobs.. so Social Democratic
Sorry but I have always been unimpressed by this argument. We shouldn't keep things just because they create jobs (see: the coal industry). Workers can be compensated and/or re-trained.

If consolidating income tax filing benefits all Québécois in the long run, I don't see why shouldn't want it. If the added value is poor, then sure, maybe no need for a reform. I admit I haven't done the full research here, but if the sole reason to keep separate filings around is to keep federal employees employed, then it's not a compelling enough reason. Spinning this as "they want people to lose their jobs!!" is intellectually dishonest.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I think what he's getting at is that it's a single filing for all provinces except for Quebec.

For example, when I submit my taxes here in Alberta, all of my forms are entered as a single filing which is then processed by the federal government.

In Quebec, there is a separation of the two, I'm presuming?

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
I think what he's getting at is that it's a single filing for all provinces except for Quebec.

For example, when I submit my taxes here in Alberta, all of my forms are entered as a single filing which is then processed by the federal government.

In Quebec, there is a separation of the two, I'm presuming?
Correct. It's annoying. Not too bad when you use software that kinda automates the process, at least, but still stupid.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I use uFile to file my taxes. It's one form but could be just the software that makes the whole thing transparent. It's just one long form as far as i'm concerned.

I don't know many people who actually do their taxes by hand any more.

Or, why file taxes in the first place? The government already has all the information it needs... all that should be required from the citizen is to submit any information and/or adjustments that the government wouldn't have in the first place.

Europe, I believe, doesn't require people to file.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
can we get an Ontarian to chime in?

That's.... a tad dismissive, but whatever.

Sorry but I have always been unimpressed by this argument. We shouldn't keep things just because they create jobs (see: the coal industry). Workers can be compensated and/or re-trained.

If consolidating income tax filing benefits all Québécois in the long run, I don't see why shouldn't want it. If the added value is poor, then sure, maybe no need for a reform. I admit I haven't done the full research here, but if the sole reason to keep separate filings around is to keep federal employees employed, then it's not a compelling enough reason. Spinning this as "they want people to lose their jobs!!" is intellectually dishonest.

I've got some lived-in experience here in Saskatchewan with the STC debacle.
For those not familiar, Saskatchewan Transportation Company was a Crown corporation, operating the equivalent of Greyhound service, but running to several smaller municipalities. Despite only being closed down in 2017, it had not been profitable or broken even since 1980. Nearly 3 DECADES.

In that time, few to no attempts were made to scale back service.

When the problem began in 1980, the PC government of Grant Devine (may he burn in hell) did nothing to curb STC spending. Apparently, STC was the ONE Crown corporation that they didn't have the stomach to try to privatize or slash the budget on.
When the NDP inherited the problem in 1991, the pro-union party didn't want to be left holding the bag of having to slash what were essentially government union jobs. So they also pretended like nothing was wrong and scaling back only in places no one would notice, even going so far as to opt to replace the 50yo Regina terminal with a $14.5 million new one, despite bus service not meeting the requirements of what was proposed (the building had 8 terminals, but 3 of them were constantly vacant). The budget on that new terminal project ballooned to $26 million (because it was an infrastructure project in Regina and that ALWAYS happens there) and opened in 2008 under Brad Wall's Saskatchewan Party.
Wall's government also sat on their hands for another 9 years, while ridership continued to plummet at a higher rate than it ever had before. By the end, it was actually $15 cheaper to rent a car than it was to take the bus and ridership was down over 75%,, despite the fact that they had the same operational capacity they did a decade ago. For every 2 passengers, there was a provincial employee working for STC. It wasn't until Brad Wall had spent all the money they earned during the province's oil and gas boom and had to introduce an austerity budget that STC finally and swiftly got the axe. Selling STC's assets has only earned back $29 million, after nearly 3 decades of operating in the red.

Reading this, one would have to agree with you: if the entire premise of doing something is to maintain jobs or being worried that political opponents will use job cuts against you, it's not a satisfactory reason in and of itself and politicians need to stop costing people money on make-work bullshit by scaring governments into continuing the bleeding. This debacle I outlined certainly helped no one in the long term.

But so long as we perpetuate a political system where scare tactics work, we'll always have to deal with politicians lacking a spine on certain issues.

Correct. It's annoying. Not too bad when you use software that kinda automates the process, at least, but still stupid.
Quebec did it to themselves. Alberta and Ontario are the only other provinces to do something similar, but they only do so for corporate taxes. And now Quebec feels it has a right to administer federal personal income taxes just... because? I agree, it's not a smart play, but getting involved in personal income tax filing at the provincial level in the first place with what I can only assume is a make-work job program wasn't a smart play, either.

Last edited:

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Or, why file taxes in the first place? The government already has all the information it needs... all that should be required from the citizen is to submit any information and/or adjustments that the government wouldn't have in the first place.

Europe, I believe, doesn't require people to file.

Oh I agree with that. It's a convoluted process telling me to duplicate information that they already have.

It's really stupid.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Quebec did it to themselves. Alberta and Ontario are the only other provinces to do something similar, but they only do so for corporate taxes. And now Quebec feels it has a right to administer federal personal income taxes just... because? I agree, it's not a smart play, but getting involved in personal income tax filing at the provincial level in the first place with what I can only assume is a make-work job program wasn't a smart play, either.
Entirely possible that a previous QC administration fucked things up, yeah. But it doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed now.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Entirely possible that a previous QC administration fucked things up, yeah. But it doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed now.
Oh, I agree. I just see the solution as folding up some of the jobs at Revenu Québec and transitioning the ones that are needed into Revenue Canada employees, to put Quebec in line with the rest of the country. But as outlined before, that's not going to happen because no one wants to give ammunition to their political opponents.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Conservatives and the Bloc are fine with Federal Employees losing their jobs

NDP took a while to realize that if jobs were on the line, it was a no deal.

Being electorally expedient for VOTES short term just to win an election is the worst type of politics and governing.

I am never impressed with "short term candy" solutions just to win votes which end up causing "long term damage".

Long term solutions (even though they are not attractive and electorally enticing) is always the best way of governing.

Fuck, the Phoenix payroll program was supposed to be cost cutting measure that Harper implemented but fuck look at that Long Term damage from it being a total cluster fuck.

all Federal Leaders who pander with short term candy are the worst

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
The Qc single tax project Legault wanted was more or less a strategy anyway. He wanted a single tax report filed but managed by Qc only. It was obvious Trudeau would say no as the one collecting the money controls the wallet. It's part of a bigger strategy though. Legault had a long laundry list of things he submitted to Trudeau because he has momentum since a federal election is coming. A lot of those like the single tax form and Qc having a better control on immigration are tough pills to swallow. Yet, the federal will have to give something to Legault eventually or he will start to go down in polls.

Avoir une longue liste de projets impossible semble plutôt une tactique pour faire avaler quelques couleuvres à Trudeau car il va éventuellement devoir dit oui à quelque chose.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I am listening to a Radio show, the callers don't give a shit about the Province taking control of the single income tax report.

The politicians are making it seem to be a bigger deal for "LA NATION!" but the voters are not biting, it's not an issue that would make them vote for.

They asked callers if the Federal or the Province should control it, the majority of the callers say that the Federal should control it.

And this is a French language radio show that has a nationalistic slant. The callers are not biting for Legault, Sheer and Bloc's stance on the issue.

So Sheer's quest to give a piece of cheese on this issue seems to be a non-win for him since voters don't follow.

Only provincial politicians want this, the people don't

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
People don't really care about this specific issue, but it plays into the whole "we're so disrepected" by Ottawa. Québec might even overtake Alberta in the next edition of that survey I posted a few days ago! Frankly, it doesn't seem right not seing Québec at the top.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Andrew Sheer is gonna put this up for a vote soon,

Like usual, the Bloc and the Cons are sleeping in the same bed.

All eyes are on the NDP to see if they go full Nationalistes or if the go pro-Federal Workers Union

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.thestar.com/politics/pr...-services-give-cash-directly-to-families.html

The Ford government is planning to overhaul children's autism services by taking money away from regional agencies and putting funding directly into the hands of families to choose the care they want, the Star has learned.

Major autism service providers have already been informed of the changes that will also address the massive wait-list of 23,000 children and target money and services to those under the age of 6, which research has shown to be the most crucial time for treatment.

At first glance this sounds like a great idea as I've spent way too much time fighting with the regional agencies and their incompetence.

But I know he will fuck this up and give out peanuts given the massive cost of autism therapy.

Just waiting for the shoe to drop. I'm reading the rumour is he will just get rid of OAP altogether. Lot of scared parents.

Tamerlane

Oct 27, 2017
Ford recently backpedaled on opting out of student fees for transit passes because those companies complained that it would deprive them of a substantial ridership and revenue base. I don't think he will do the same on autism therapy.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Ford recently backpedaled on opting out of student fees for transit passes because those companies complained that it would deprive them of a substantial ridership and revenue base. I don't think he will do the same on autism therapy.

The fear is they will give less money directly. So while it cuts a lot of the red tape, families will get less. Especially older kids.

People will still go into debt going all out for private therapy, they just won't be doing it while waiting for public funding.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
The fear is they will give less money directly. So while it cuts a lot of the red tape, families will get less. Especially older kids.

People will still go into debt going all out for private therapy, they just won't be doing it while waiting for public funding.
Families with autistic kids can still pull up their own bootstraps, right? Or so the current provincial government would lead us to believe.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Families with autistic kids can still pull up their own bootstraps, right? Or so the current provincial government would lead us to believe.

They've been pulling themselves up by the bootstraps for a while. It's a 2-4 year waitlist for treatment based on where you live, so many people borrowed and went heavily into debt waiting for funding getting help for their kids(the younger they are the better).

There's some conference today from Lisa McClod. I don't trust anything they do/say. It will sound good on the surface but once you look deeper it will be a shitshow.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
They've been pulling themselves up by the bootstraps for a while. It's a 2-4 year waitlist for treatment based on where you live, so many people borrowed and went heavily into debt waiting for funding getting help for their kids(the younger they are the better).

There's some conference today from Lisa McClod. I don't trust anything they do/say. It will sound good on the surface but once you look deeper it will be a shitshow.
I dont even think whatever she has to say will sound good on the surface. Nothing else theyve come out with has. The closest they came was buck-a-beer, and look how popular that was.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Cutting in healthcare is unfortunate and unsurprising. In QC we've been cutting for a while now and the new government will start cutting too. Ford is doing is own ideological cuts which is once again disgusting but expected. Healthcare is super expensive for government and with an aging population and the progress of science people live older and older but requires more exams and treatments so costs will keep ballooning. The wealthier citizens are starting to get fed up by what they perceive is poor quality services for what they pay. This is how you get the private sector to slowly make gains unfortunately.

There will need to a be revolution to funding healthcare or there will be more pretty heartbreaking choices coming up eventually.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
With Singh having to campaign in this byelection, the result is that we're seeing some opening moves of the 2019 campaign early.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
With Singh having to campaign in this byelection, the result is that we're seeing some opening moves of the 2019 campaign early.

I mean, the NDP doesn't exactly change their platform between elections. Their platform is more or less a revolving door of policies which is continuously added to, and removed from when the Liberals eventually rip off half of the list.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Right I feel like a big issue the NDP has is that they've been running on the same basic playbook that Layton designed and people are dull to it.

Hopefully they aren't going to keep calling Pharmacare Mulcaire?

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Québec already has pharmacare (sorta) so they're gonna have to come up with something sexier if they want to come back from the dead here.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa. Obvious example of FAKE NEWS! in Canada

Fake Story about Jagmeet Singh Pops up on Vancouver Courier Site, Others

No, NDP leader Jagmeet Singh does not live in a $5.5-million dollar mansion resplendent with ornate staircases and murals painted on ceilings. But online visitors to the Vancouver Courier and other sites were fed that fake news today.

The facts about how that happened remain murky, but what's clear is that a major online ad network whose CEO boasts of "disciplined processes" to prevent "tricksters" can be used to deliver false and potentially damaging information to thousands of voters during a high-stakes election in Canada.

The Tyee noted this morning an ad located below a Vancouver Courier news story. The ad showed a photo of Singh over the headline: "Jagmeet Singh Shows off His New Mansion" and in small type the words Attorney Cocktail.

Clicking on it took the reader to an article on the site Attorney Cocktail headlined "13 Super Luxurious Celebrity Houses – They Surely Know How to Spend Their Fortune."

Status
Not open for further replies.