• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
I drove from Vancouver to Maple Ridge yesterday during the 'snowstorm'. Not as bad as expected actually. I have those Nokian WRG3 all-weather tires which are pretty good. The issue is people driving when they've just got crap 3-season tires on. If you have to drive at 20 kph to keep any semblance of control maybe just don't drive? Surely there isn't anything that pressing that you have to drive?

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Hold onto ur butts, here we go.

Ethics Commissioner launches inquiry into allegations against PMO pressuring former justice minister to intervene with SNC-Lavalin case

Ethics Commissioner Mario Dion has launched an inquiry into allegations the Prime Minister's Office attempted to pressure Jody Wilson-Raybould when she was justice minister and attorney general to help SNC-Lavalin avoid a criminal trial for corruption and fraud.

Mr. Dion said there is enough evidence to warrant an investigation under the section of the conflict of interest act that prohibits a public office holder from seeking to influence a decision that would further their privates interest or the private interests of a friend or relative.

"I have reason to believe that a possible contravention of Section 9 may have occurred," Mr. Dion wrote to NDP MPs Nathan Cullen and Charlie Angus. "Section 9 prohibits a public office holder from seeking to influence a decision of another person so as to improperly further another person's private interest. As a result, I have initiated an examination … and have so informed Mr. Trudeau."

Mr. Cullen and Mr. Angus wrote the ethics czar last Friday to investigate the allegations, first reported in The Globe and Mail.

The House of Commons Justice Committee is also meeting Wednesday to vote on call by the Conservative and NDP to hold parliamentary hearings in the matter.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Savage.

There's going to be a protest at Queen's Park. I'm thinking of going, even though they don't give a shit.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Scheer is really an idiot. His only point of view on anything is to do the opposite the Liberals believe in or defend no matter the topic at hand. No matter the political hand he's served he manages to fail at playing it. It doesn't help there is some insane rabid Christian zealot vouching for him.

Ford is consistently using his power to take revenge on people that didn't vote for him (Toronto, Students, Poor people). It's getting increasingly disgusting and tiresome. From gutting aid to poor people, abolishing the universal income project, downsizing by force Toronto's city council number to modifying healthcare service and now finding a way to screw student union over. This is supposed to be what democracy is about?

The SNC-Lavallin downfall is one of the most fascinating scandal in Canadian politics in the recent years. Just a reminder SNC-Lavallin is about to get criminally prosecuted for corruption and fraud allegations by the RCMP for contracts they had in Lybia with their good friend Muammar Gaddafi (dead dictator). They've been suspected of fraud in Northern Africa. In QC they used Arthur Porter and bribed him and his accomplices to secure the MHCU mega hospital project ie they've won the bid for the project even if they were outbid by over 60 millions by a competitor which is illegal under Quebec's Health Act. Most of them have now been sentenced in QC courts. Arthur Porter also had ties to shady arms dealers, was head of the Canadian Intelligence review committee and fled to Panama after the was criminally charged. He died in Panama after months and months of procedure where neither government seemed in a hurry to solve the case at hand and thus bringing his secret to the grave with him.

They've also been found guilty of making illegal donations to political parties in QC. If SNC-Lavallin are found guilty in court on the Lybia case they will be automatically banned from receiving federal contracts for the next 10 years. They've lobbied the federal government for a "remediation agreement" to be enshrined into the law in which they would pay away a sum of money to wash away their sins and evade prosecution. The Liberal government agreed and added this to their infamous 2018 omnibus budget bill. The thing is the director of public prosecutions declined to use this "remediation agreement" so many actors(ranging from SNC-Lavallin, high ops to QC government officials) ran over to Trudeau in panic so he could convince Wilson-Raybould to bypass everyone and use the agreement since she was attorney general. Apparently she refused, was demoted and here we are.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
That's from 2016. lol at him of all people taking jabs at "Canadian values"?

LOL damn my bad. I read the article but didn't notice the date.

OK. I checked the date on this article and it's today! But it pretty much confirms my suspicions of the twitter activity of late on #cdnpoli.

Last edited:

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
LOL damn my bad. I read the article but didn't notice the date.

OK. I checked the date on this article and it's today! But it pretty much confirms my suspicions of the twitter activity of late on #cdnpoli.

That tweet makes it sounds like a much bigger problem than it really is/was.
9.6 million tweests! OMG! Than you read the story and only 21 600 tweets (over years) were related to Canada.
I'm starting to get tired of these stories. In the grand scheme of things, the influence of these "trolls" is negligible, in Canada at least. But all of a sudden, if you disagree with someone, it's a "russian troll" or a "Soros troll". As is we can't be shitty on our own without foreign influence.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
That tweet makes it sounds like a much bigger problem than it really is/was.
9.6 million tweests! OMG! Than you read the story and only 21 600 tweets (over years) were related to Canada.
I'm starting to get tired of these stories. In the grand scheme of things, the influence of these "trolls" is negligible

The amounts of troll accounts that get reported is always underestimated because Twitter doesn't want to let on how many accounts are actually fake. I'd have to go back but FB and Twitter revised their numbers several times in the US and I still see plenty. They have no real incentive to remove them.

As for the influence of these trolls, I don't think anyone has done an actual study, it's hard to tell. It's made discourse toxic online.

But overall foreign meddling gave the world Trump as president.

Deleted member 12950

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

If the PMO had anonymously been smearing me to the Canadian Press I'd probably be resigning as well. Though if the story about PMO officials pressuring her is true I wonder why she hadn't resigned sooner, even before the cabinet shuffle.

and in the Mark Norman trial it appears the Privy Council office may have been coordinating with the Public Prosecutions Service of Canada, which is supposed to be independent:

The allegation of Privy Council Office intervention prompted the Ontario Court of Justice judge presiding over the Norman case on Monday to question the independence of the Public Prosecution Service of Canada. "So much for the independence of the PPSC," Justice Heather Perkins-McVey interjected.

Partly redacted notes and an e-mail exchange between defence lawyer Christine Mainville and one of the lead prosecutors, Barbara Mercier, were filed in court. Ms. Mercier wrote in an e-mail that the notes from meetings with officials at the Privy Council are redacted because they deal with "trial strategy."

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
But all of a sudden, if you disagree with someone, it's a "russian troll" or a "Soros troll". As is we can't be shitty on our own without foreign influence.
Screenshot-2018-04-20-03.18.19.png

Deleted member 12950

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Madam Prime Minister Freeland.
C'mon Justin, take one for the team.

If only our political parties had the traditional caucus-selects-leaders instead of American-style leadership elections. Justin taking one for the team wouldn't be necessary, it would be Freeland and caucus just shiving him in the back. Plus Doug Ford probably doesn't become leader of the ONPCs.

Losing that bit of accountability in our political system hasn't been healthy. Even if Trudeau loses the confidence of caucus I think he'd still win the subsequent leadership election (as Corbyn did in the UK with Labour).

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
This story will undoubtably get buried by the news that she has resigned, but just before this the Liberals were obviously starting a smear campaign against her. I assume she resigned due to Trudeau's comment yesterday that her presence in cabinet implicitly said something, but Liberal party 'insiders' leaking bad shit (probably made up) about her could have contributed.

Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs calls out 'racist and sexist' treatment of Wilson-Raybould

A group of First Nation leaders is calling on the prime minister to quash what they view as "racist and sexist innuendo" dogging Veterans Affairs Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould

Over the weekend, The Canadian Press ran a story quoting anonymous sources who described Wilson-Raybould as someone who had "become a thorn in the side of the cabinet" before she was shuffled to her new role last month. She was also called "someone ... [who] was difficult to get along with, known to berate fellow cabinet ministers openly at the table, and who others felt they had trouble trusting."

A source, described as an "insider who didn't want to be identified," told the news agency that Wilson-Raybould has "always sort of been in it for herself" and "everything is very Jody-centric."

Those comments are "cowardly low blows," says a statement released Tuesday by the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs.

"They perpetuate colonial-era, sexist stereotypes that Indigenous women cannot be powerful, forthright and steadfast in positions of power, but rather confrontational, meddling and egotistic," says the news release from the group, which has been critical of the Liberal government in the past on pipeline issues.

"These comments from your staff must be recognized for what they are — blatant sexism."

Liberal MP Celina Caesar-Chavannes also leapt to her caucus colleague's defence online, tweeting Sunday that Wilson-Raybould is "fierce, smart, and unapologetic."

"When women speak up and out, they are always going to be labelled. Go ahead. Label away. We are not going anywhere," she wrote.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
lol

The reporting is too hot to handle. Maybe i'll read it up between me shoveling the snow we're getting in ottawa.

This pretty much sums up my sentiment of this sordid affair. It's like Trudeau doesn't have a proper chief strategist or that he has one and that person is fucking incompetent.

Last edited:

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
All I can say in regards to this scandal is Jesus Fucking Christ. Like why do they keep on doing this to themselves. It's not fucking hard to not break the law. It's not fucking hard to not act corrupt. You literally just don't do it. It's not hard.

Why do they keep on doing this to themselves. If the Conservatives win because of this, I'm going to fucking flip. Like it's pathetic. JUST WHY

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
All I can say in regards to this scandal is Jesus Fucking Christ. Like why do they keep on doing this to themselves. It's not fucking hard to not break the law. It's not fucking hard to not act corrupt. You literally just don't do it. It's not hard.

Why do they keep on doing this to themselves. If the Conservatives win because of this, I'm going to fucking flip. Like it's pathetic. JUST WHY

If something has been abundantly clear after these last 4 years, it's that Trudeau and his clique are awful at "politics" and "optics".
If they lose this fall, hopefully they'll dump him, along with Butts and Telford. They can take Melanie Joly along with them.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
thank god Trump drowns the news cycle to make everyone forget about this SNC/Lavelin fiasco.

by October, everyone will have forgotten this

If something has been abundantly clear after these last 4 years, it's that Trudeau and his clique are awful at "politics" and "optics".
If they lose this fall, hopefully they'll dump him, along with Butts and Telford. They can take Melanie Joly along with them.
this is so true, Trudeau has naive vision of optics.

he should watch the Netflix doc on Roger Stone to get an insight on how the enemy thinks

Status
Not open for further replies.