• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Standards, why have them?

My corrupt guy is better than your corrupt guy. Because it's not possible to have someone who might be morally good and also have ethics as well I suppose.
Reality, why live in it? Unobtainable fantasy is much more productive.

If you look at the options in front of you right now and see no difference between the two, (and don't kid yourself, there are only two) then you're a lost cause.

Think of every person in your life who is a minority, who depends on social safety nets, who would like to live on a planet that's not literally dying before our eyes, who prefers not to lie in bed with actual Nazis, then look at your two choices again.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

If you look at the options in front of you right now and see no difference between the two, (and don't kid yourself, there are only two) then you're a lost cause.

Think of every person in your life who is a minority, who depends on social safety nets, who would like to live on a planet that's not literally dying before our eyes, who prefers not to lie in bed with actual Nazis, then look at your two choices again.

So is Wilson-Raybould really a race traitor then, as Sheila Copps implies?

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
That's literally Copps' argument. She's choosing Scheer by not playing ball and being a Good Liberal (tm).

It's not possible that she might actually have another reason not to want to lay down and prostrate herself at Trudeau's feet like so many people seem to think she and Philpott should do.
I'm talking about the choice the voters have this year, and I think you're aware of this.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about the choice the voters have this year, and I think you're aware of this.
I'm talking about supporting the "ABC" Liberal narrative in general.

Even if we take gutter and everyone's narrative to be true and accept as fact that JWR is a terrible lawyer, terrible AG, and raging egomaniac who is trying to destroy the government for "reasons", why would Philpott also torpedo her career by resigning and "helping Scheer"?

Is there any line the Liberals could ever cross that would render the ABC line of reasoning untenable? Or is the status-quo the only choice?
People complain about low voter turnout and voter disengagement and similar heady issues about the future of our Democracy, but people also seem to be essentially advocating for a friendly dictatorship.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017

Even if we take gutter and everyone's narrative to be true and accept as fact that JWR is a terrible lawyer, terrible AG, and raging egomaniac who is trying to destroy the government for "reasons", why would Philpott also torpedo her career by resigning and "helping Scheer"?

Is there any line the Liberals could ever cross that would render the ABC line of reasoning untenable? Or is the status-quo the only choice?
People complain about low voter turnout and voter disengagement and similar heady issues about the future of our Democracy, but people also seem to be essentially advocating for a friendly dictatorship.
The line is becoming like the Conservative party.

You can be upset about a shitty situation and still recognize it's better than blowing your entire head off.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The line is becoming like the Conservative party.

You can be upset about a shitty situation and still recognize it's better than blowing your entire head off.
The alternative being death by a thousand cuts I guess?

I mean at some point the Conservatives will form government again and we'll forget any lessons we learned this month (just like we forgot all about Sponsorship scandal) and two or three cycles from now when the Liberals inevitably form government again, there will be yet another Liberal controversy because Liberals gonna Liberal and we'll be having this exact same conversation again. Except we'll be 15-20 years older and our kids will be the ones dealing with this garbage. Or hell, maybe our kids will be the ones arguing with each other instead of us. lol

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

I mean it's a bunch of problems.

#1 is a weak Liberal party always means Conservative majority

There's a tragic irony that Layton and the NDP's biggest federal success in 2011 also saw Harper's first and only majority government.. Which brings us to #2

#2: The NDP (who I support and will ultimately vote for) haven't had a strong leader since Layton passed, Mulcair was a terrible and ultimately threw the 2015 election to the Liberals and all but assured that once again it's a two party race going forward, a trend that Singh has continued.

#3 The Reform/Canadian Alliance party took over full scale the Old PC party, not that the old PC party was amazing... but 1993 was a pick between Kim Cambell and Jean Charest.... who you know aren't: Preston fucking Manning, Stockwell Day, Stephen Harper, and Andrew Scheer... The PC party sort of paid some sort of lip-serivce to not being crazed social conservatives who'd love to see gay people without benefits and women in back alleys, it is only by the grace of public pressure that abortion and gay rights weren't at risk during Harper's otherwise destructive reign, and while Scheer seems restrained on those issues as well the same cannot be said for getting in bed with white supremacy.

Which brings us to #4

4. What the fuck is anyone supposed to do when the options are absolutely condemnable corruption or a strong likelyhood of that same type of corruption + guaranteed anti-science, anti- poor, anti-LGBT, anti-diversity, pro white supremacy, pro right wing Christian fundamentalism

Canada's problem isn't that the Liberal Party is corrupt, Canada's problem is that the Liberal Party is corrupt, citizens don't want to vote for the NDP and thus the only other option is a horrific oppressive socially conservative government that will actively harm marginalized and vulnerable people.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm quite comfortable in having a *gasp* Conservative government over a Liberal government which has no respect for the rule of law and actively works to undermine it.

We already had this national conversation about these set of options when a disgraced Liberal party and Paul Martin ran a re-election campaign of "sure we're corrupt, but you gotta vote Liberal because the yahoos in the Canadian Alliance will burn this country to the ground" and 1) Canadians didn't care for the Liberal argument and 2) The Conservatives were a lot more dull than the Liberals would have us believe. They didn't ban gay marriage or abortion and we didn't have "guns in our cities" like the Liberals tried to scare Canadians into believing.

Of course this isn't the only option on the menu. The Liberals can still can get a grip on the situation, take ownership, and clean up their act. That probably doesn't even require Trudeau stepping down. Canadians could also vote for *shock* the third party.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm quite comfortable in having a *gasp* Conservative government over a Liberal government which has no respect for the rule of law and actively works to undermine it.

Conservatives will too lol, and they'll do it worse and they'll do it to harm the most vulnerable of our society and they'll do it to harm the environment

We already had this national conversation about these set of options when a disgraced Liberal party and Paul Martin ran a re-election campaign of "sure we're corrupt, but you gotta vote Liberal because the yahoos in the Canadian Alliance will burn this country to the ground" and 1) Canadians didn't care for the Liberal argument and 2) The Conservatives were a lot more dull than the Liberals would have us believe. They didn't ban gay marriage or abortion and we didn't have "guns in our cities" like the Liberals tried to scare Canadians into believing.

No they just squashed government science research, actively worked against protecting the environment, and let's be real this is 2019... Conservatives in this country, as with most others have lost their fucking minds, Quebec is cancelling immigration programs and threatening the survival and safety of hard work immigrants who have done nothing wrong, Ontario is losing its fucking mind and our making teachers who say being gay is ok out to be delinquent villains whose jobs should be at risk.

So it's so easy for you to say there's nothing scary but your laughter is ignorant.

And you're right people could vote NDP... but they don't because for all the talk Canada is not a Progressive Country it's simply a country less prone to Right Wing Extremism... for now.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Of course this isn't the only option on the menu. The Liberals can still can get a grip on the situation, take ownership, and clean up their act. That probably doesn't even require Trudeau stepping down. Canadians could also vote for *shock* the third party.

Eh, I'm not sure I agree about the Conservatives. I think people underestimate just how much the overton window has shifted because of Harper, the 2011 election especially was a "re-alignment" election in how Harper at that point definitively squashed both of the old-guard "centrist" parties (PCs and Liberals).

Just look at the 2015 platforms for the NDP and the Liberals- I don't agree with the Globe and Mail's weird 2015 endorsement (Tories but no Harper!) but they made a good point about how both the Liberals and NDP had platforms that accepted the Conservative status quo, neither party was truly committed to a reinterpretation of the Canadian economy as one of social democracy.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
And you're right people could vote NDP... but they don't because for all the talk Canada is not a Progressive Country it's simply a country less prone to Right Wing Extremism... for now.
Yeah, Canada is a happily centrist country that prides itself on being "better" than America when the truth is that we're basically more alike than people would like to admit.

Which is also why a "Conservatives are evil" strategy just doesn't ring true to me, because the average Canadian voter doesn't see it that way and doesn't really care either. Rather than live in a perpetual cycle of the Liberals own-goaling themselves over and over again and handing victory to their centrist cousins, I just wish we had a better alternative.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
The Conservatives are evil BTW, and anyone who votes for them is too.

Don't give me this "they won't be so bad" bullshit.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
User Banned (1 Week): Continued pattern of trolling and antagonistic behavior; previous related infractions
I'm voting Conservative this year. If I get called evil by some naive man-children on the internet, so be it. The more I hear it, the more likely I am to throw money at Scheer.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Hey. Don't be so hard on him. He might call you a naive man-children.
Truly a nightmare. 😱

It's unsettling to see how many people don't have a clue what's going on in the world, rather by choice or from outrageous ignorance.

It's a reminder that voting to prevent stupid and morally bankrupt people from having any sort of power is the most important thing any decent person can do.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm voting Conservative this year. If I get called evil by some naive man-children on the internet, so be it. The more I hear it, the more likely I am to throw money at Scheer.

K.

Good for you.

Just don't claim you care about science, education, the LGBT community or any other marginalized group ever

And don't get offended if people associate you with tacit support of Faith Goldy as that's who Scheer is aligning with.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I was an NDP member for years, now I lean Red Tory. The Liberals spent 40 years representing my riding. The place is now a slum, Jack is dead, Tom got turfed, and now I'm "evil nazi bigot" for wanting a change that might turn things around for the better.

Being on the winning Red team for about 40 years has left 1 in 3 kids where I am from, in poverty. They built crown dependency in the region, and cut it all off right before retirement. Union busted it. Being on the Blue winning team for once might help. NDP won't win at all.

I am not a bigot, but I know how the world works.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I was an NDP member for years, now I lean Red Tory. The Liberals spent 40 years representing my riding. The place is now a slum, Jack is dead, Tom got turfed, and now I'm "evil nazi bigot" for wanting a change that might turn things around for the better.

Being on the winning Red team for about 40 years has left 1 in 3 kids where I am from, in poverty. They built crown dependency in the region, and cut it all off right before retirement. Union busted it. Being on the Blue winning team for once might help. NDP won't win at all.

Conservatives don't make anything better for anyone except themselves and their big donors.

If you think poor communities will benefit from right wing policies, then you don't know how the world works at all.

Last edited:

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Ah yes the eternal delusion that right wing political parties give a shit about the common people. Clearly you are the one who knows how the world works.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have probably helped more homeless, poor, and unemployed people than any of you.

I know conservatives and new democrats who are good people. I can drink, hang out, and have a discussion with them without being called a fucking nazi.

Judge away though folks. You are so persuading with it all.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Conservatives will too lol, and they'll do it worse and they'll do it to harm the most vulnerable of our society and they'll do it to harm the environment

Well here we're talking about devil you know vs devil you don't know. The choice comes down to what sort of person you are. I'll note that the Conservatives are the ones that created the independent Director of Public Prosecution office in the first place.

I'll make the claim that theres nothing Harper did that is worse than the PMO meddling into the justice system for its own gain.

Muzzling scientists is weak tea in comparison and while Harper obviously did little to nothing on climate issues, Trudeau has bungled this file so badly that he's not much better.

Of course the idea that voters are having to contemplate this devil we know vs don't know situation is only due to the absurd, structurally broken nature of FPTP. If Trudeau had not gone back on his word we'd have a PR system such that voters could feel free to punish the Liberals by voting for another option, while not necessarily inducing some lopsided, undeserved Conservative majority.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Well here we're talking about devil you know vs devil you don't know. The choice comes down to what sort of person you are. I'll note that the Conservatives are the ones that created the independent Director of Public Prosecution office in the first place.

Andrew Scheer gives Faith fucking Goldy interviews....

And endorses the xenophobic Canadian yellow vests movement

We know this devil.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I have probably helped more homeless, poor, and unemployed people than any of you.

I know conservatives and new democrats who are good people. I can drink, hang out, and have a discussion with them without being called a fucking nazi.

Scheer has no issue associating with Faith Goldy

If that means nothing to you... You can't have your mind changed anyway.

You're literally inplying you'd vote NDP/Left if you thought they'd win but since they won't you're voting for the furthest right wing Conservative party we've seen

There's no sense trying to convince you of anything because you don't seem to have a credible political stance.

Last edited:

Tamerlane

Oct 27, 2017

What's your opinion on that truck convoy that Scheer and Bernier associated themselves with.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not going to call you a nazi, but you're deluded if you think a Con government coming in would provide public services for those same homeless people or help those kids families climb out of poverty. If anything, they'll make it harder to access public services and force them to pay for privatized services they contract out to, as is their usual way.

At most they might pull another bullshit $1,200 a year for child care like Harper implemented. I don't see that giving anyone a leg up.

edit: also, yes, how do you feel about politicians associating with racists and neonazis openly in public? Scheer seems to be cool with it and Bernier has some running for him.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

I'll make the claim that theres nothing Harper did that is worse than the PMO meddling into the justice system for its own gain.

It's sad that we're giving China fuel to troll Canada re: Meng Wanzhou regarding judicial independence.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Yes, there's a gulf of difference between the two. Mind you, my two choices don't include a Liberal, so...

But even taking that into account and assuming that my two options are Liberal and Conservative, once you peel back the ideology that they use to get elected, they start looking more and more the same. I live in a province where the leading conservative party provincially was born of a merger between Liberals and PCs, so I'm keenly aware of how well the 2 can blend together.

And yes, if you're in a position where a bad ideology can have catastrophic implications for your security and way of life, the choice is natural and obvious. But aside from climate change being a part of that, the average (read: above-poverty, cishet, usually white) Canadian doesn't fall into that cohort, so voting on ideology makes little to no sense to many of them.

One could argue that the way to take down Conservatives is to call out their poor track record of kept promises about economic responsibility or being anti-corruption on top of their reckless and marginalizing ideology, but... the Liberals don't exactly have a leg to stand on with regard to promises kept in those regards (leaving out other promises unkept that only progressives care about *cough*), so it's a strategy that will never be realized. Liberals being more like the Conservatives in this regard is part of why Conservatives win in the first place, because when you strip away the ideological difference in their governance, they can't be credibly attacked on the issues that matter to every average Canadian by their primary opponent.

It may be disappointing, but the reality is that to many Canadians, ideology is just political theatre, and without ideology being something you weigh political decisions on, Liberals and Tories look remarkably similar in their behaviour.

Yeah, Canada is a happily centrist country that prides itself on being "better" than America when the truth is that we're basically more alike than people would like to admit.

Which is also why a "Conservatives are evil" strategy just doesn't ring true to me, because the average Canadian voter doesn't see it that way and doesn't really care either. Rather than live in a perpetual cycle of the Liberals own-goaling themselves over and over again and handing victory to their centrist cousins, I just wish we had a better alternative.

Amen.

Leaving out that no one was arguing that you don't personally do good things and how that doesn't make you a universally good person or doesn't preclude you from having a political position that could disadvantage just as people or more than your good samaritan work helps...
"I volunteer/help the unfortunate" in discussions like this is no different than "I have lots of black friends" in discussions of race. You're not absolved by association with the marginalized and disadvantaged, so present something more substantive. Like answers to the questions you've been asked.

Of course the idea that voters are having to contemplate this devil we know vs don't know situation is only due to the absurd, structurally broken nature of FPTP. If Trudeau had not gone back on his word we'd have a PR system such that voters could feel free to punish the Liberals by voting for another option, while not necessarily inducing some lopsided, undeserved Conservative majority.

I can't agree wholly on some of the other points you raised, but this one never stops ringing true.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Human rights are not the product of "ideology" or political theatre. If you've ever had to worry about your actual safety and ability to live a free and open life, you'd understand this.

I'm tired of people being so flippant about quality of life of minorities and the destitute.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Human rights feels like political theatre when someone like Sheila Copps makes the racist suggestion that Wilson-Raybould wouldn't mind skirting the law if it were for "aboriginal jobs" and flippantly asks "Do you really think that trashing Trudeau will advance the aboriginal agenda?" Her rhetoric is too common among Liberal Party zealots who are disingenuously instrumentalizing human rights. Minoritized people and communities--and Indigenous communities in particular here--shouldn't be required to exchange a demand of integrity and accountability in exchange for maintaining rights, else "it's their own fault."

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Human rights are not the product of "ideology" or political theatre. If you've ever had to worry about your actual safety and ability to live a free and open life, you'd understand this.

I'm tired of people being so flippant about quality of life of minorities and the destitute.

Human rights is a rather broad complex unfortunately. Like usual it all boils down to your own interests. The current government is shipping armed vehicles to Saudi Arabia used to trample their political enemies. It also tried to save with backroom politics a company accused of funneling millions to a dictator in Libya that tortured his people.

Seems some human should have more rights than others.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Human rights is a rather broad complex unfortunately. Like usual it all boils down to your own interests. The current government is shipping armed vehicles to Saudi Arabia used to trample their political enemies. It also tried to save with backroom politics a company accused of funneling millions to a dictator in Libya that tortured his people.

Seems some human should have more rights than others.
Any government dealing with dictators should be held accountable. It's disgusting and bleak reminder of the shitty state of our planet.

Show me the party that can end all strife in the world, or at least our country's part in it, and also will be able to defeat the Conservatives this fall, and I'll vote for them.

As I mentioned many times before, fantasy is not an option. We do what we must to prevent an even worse fate, and hope and work towards better options next time.

The idea of voting counter to the better good to "punish" a flawed but preferable party is insanity IMO. We literally have that playing out in Ontario right now to disastrous results.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Human rights feels like political theatre when someone like Sheila Copps makes the racist suggestion that Wilson-Raybould wouldn't mind skirting the law if it were for "aboriginal jobs" and flippantly asks "Do you really think that trashing Trudeau will advance the aboriginal agenda?" Her rhetoric is too common among Liberal Party zealots who are disingenuously instrumentalizing human rights. Minoritized people and communities--and Indigenous communities in particular here--shouldn't be required to exchange a demand of integrity and accountability in exchange for maintaining rights, else "it's their own fault."
Yeah, if Trudeau and the Liberal party machine has condemned Copps and said that her views don't represent Liberal views, then maybe it would feel like an aberration.
But the fact is that I'm sure the Liberal machine asked her to come out to attack JWR on their behalf.

I mean, why the fuck is Christy Clark around this mess?

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017

Right on.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The latest from the "What will Doug Ford fuck up next?" Department.

9zAOL6G.png

Keep voting Conservative to own the Libs Canada, maybe "this time" austerity and trickle down economics will work!

Some days I hope Ford destroys Ontario and sends it back to the dark ages because it seems people are too stupid to vote properly. I hope the $1 beer for a weekend or two was worth it assholes.

Oct 25, 2017

9zAOL6G.png

Keep voting Conservative to own the Libs Canada, maybe "this time" austerity and trickle down economics will work!

Some days I hope Ford destroys Ontario and sends it back to the dark ages because it seems people are too stupid to vote properly. I hope the $1 beer for a weekend or two was worth it assholes.

Holy crap on a cracker......

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017

9zAOL6G.png

I feel the same way.

They made their bed.

They can die in it.

I do feel really sorry for the people who voted NDP. If only the Ontario Liberal voters would have removed their head from their asses, all this could have been avoided.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I do feel really sorry for the people who voted NDP. If only the Ontario Liberal voters would have removed their head from their asses, all this could have been avoided

I thought that wouldn't have changed things much. You'd have needed conservative voters to vote NDP, which is about as likely as Trudeau being Castro's son.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I thought that wouldn't have changed things much. You'd have needed conservative voters to vote NDP, which is about as likely as Trudeau being Castro's son.
Well, at least we could had avoided a majority government. That's all I'm asking last election. And yet, the worst possible man got it. I really hope those who voted PC will enjoy about Doug Ford.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017

9zAOL6G.png

To be honest in QC the Liberals pretty much gutted all public services like Ford is doing. They gutted care to senior citizen hospitalized in CHSLD so bad that they had to stay for hours in their soiled diapers and they were made ready for bed at 4PM. They gutted education funding for handicapped kids and kids with special needs because they needed to balance the budget. And they gutted funding to the transportation for handicapped people because it was seen as a luxury. During the campaign our former PM said you could feed a family of 3 with 75$ a week while he was a neurosurgeon for his whole adult life. They had money for Bombardier and rich companies though. Now the CAQ government will also do the same and continue the trend.

Ford's a complete POS and doing completely ideological and cruel cuts but I don't see how the Ontario liberals would have helped the budget without doing the same just like QC showed. Their ideological cut would have been different but people would have paid the price regardless. The fact Ford's budget is in the red with all the cuts is pretty much a proof on how we are about to crash into a wall.

What we are seeing is pretty much a consequence of people living older, progress of medicine (new diagnosis, new imaging modality, new meds) and treatments. As such people require more and more services they can't afford by themselves but the government isn't interested at finding money to fund everything required (see tax evasion).

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Who's the "you" in that statement, exactly? Considering it was a direct response to something I posted, I'd like a bit of clarity on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.