• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.thestar.com/politics/pr...-new-health-super-agency-meets-in-secret.html

The newly appointed board of directors of the Ontario Health super agency held its inaugural meeting on Monday with no advance notice or invitation to the public, raising questions about transparency.

Meantime, more than 200 board members of 20 smaller agencies that are being swallowed up by Ontario Health were abruptly and quietly sacked last week, leaving some with hard feelings

For the people!

"Ontario Health board meetings are not required to be open to the public but the board recognizes the need to engage Ontarians in continually improving their health-care system. The board will be required to establish mechanisms for public engagement to ensure openness and transparency," read the statement

Cute

The new chair is Bill Hatanaka, a former professional football player with the Ottawa Rough Riders and Hamilton Tiger-Cats. Hatanaka currently serves as a corporate director of Invesco Canada, RP Investment Advisors and ICE NGX Canada Ltd.

I wonder how many dinner plates he bought at $1250 each?

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Of course. Because if there is one person I trust to make sound healthcare decisions, it's a former professional football player! They are definitely the leading expert on all things healthcare and will make amazing decisions for our healthcare agency!

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
He may be qualified

Ken Dryden did a lot after his NHL career so not all pro athletes are know nothings
Let's be perfectly blunt: Ford has never demonstrated themselves to be a particularly sharp individual. His whole life has been him getting by due to inherited wealth and having a name that has allowed him to fail upwards to a disgusting and constant degree. At best this is about branding re: Rob coached a football team (which also led to his first major scandal) so let's get a football player in on this. At worst, it's equal parts willful malice and mismanagement (which is also on-brand), aka. the same thing the Ford government has been doing since being elected.

Nothing about this or any of his previous decisions he's made have given me any reason to think he chose the best person for the job. Put another way: Dumb Ford is no Ken Dryden.
I'm just saying you shouldn't write people off because they were a pro athlete

Better to criticize them for being a Ford buddy
I don't disagree, hence why I focused on Ford being Ford.

Last edited:

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yea I know, but I won't criticize someone just because they were a pro football player, there are plenty of other things to criticize about this

Yeah. I get it. There are a ton of pro-athletes which go on to do great things. There are also a lot of pro-athletes who don't. And a lot who hold some pretty conservative views. It goes down to the individual person so I shouldn't write them off because of their profession.

But like, Doug Ford hasn't given us any indication that he gives a shit about putting qualified people in charge. As we saw with the OPP scandal. And out of all the doctors and healthcare providers out there. He couldn't find someone, anyone who was active in the industry and knew the ins and outs of the system like the back of their hand? That's quite frankly preposterous.

Hell, Bill Hatanaka. I can't even google his name and get a coherent result as to why this guy is such a good fit for the position. Outside of his football career, there is nothing other than him having a degree in business and having worked for a bunch of investment banks. None of which fill me with confidence that the guy has the best interests of the provincial healthcare program in mind.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
None of which fill me with confidence that the guy has the best interests of the provincial healthcare program in mind.

Nothing he's doing is in the province's best interest.

It's a fucking plutocracy in progress. Why have government provide services when there's some well connected asshole somewhere who could be making money off it and his premier buddy will lower his corporate and income tax?

Dec 11, 2017
I am confused as to why everyone is up in arms about the Liberals adjourning the Justice Committee meeting yesterday as there was already a meeting scheduled for the 19th to discuss next steps, including additional witnesses. Yesterday's meeting looked like nothing more than the opposition parties trying to score political points over something that has already been scheduled to be dealt with.

Deleted member 12950

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Having the committee meeting the same day as the budget, when the press gallery would otherwise be in the budget lockup, makes it look like you're planning to try to bury any news that comes out of the committee.

Deleted member 12950

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Fair point, I had not considered that. Thank you.

They may be planning on to be open and transparent after that meeting on the 19th and invite all the relevant witnesses, but I don't get what they did yesterday if that's the case. Ending the meeting like they did just led to a day or two of the news cycle being "Liberals again refuse to invite JWR back to testify", which isn't something you'd want if you're actually going to end up doing the right thing down the line.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Opposition is a caricature, and Scheer is a humid performer: Neil Macdonald

Just a good piece about one of the annoying background parts of democracy (especially parliamentarian) that gets more annoying the more attention you pay to politics.

Publicly, former Liberal leader John Turner used to say that "the job of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition is to oppose." Privately, though, he had a better term for Question Period and other televised political venues: "Bullshit Theatre."

He always got a laugh, but it was more than a joke. Turner was acknowledging that the opposition, with its constant, unstinting indignation about everything the government says or does, is a caricature.

For a variety of reasons, not the least of which is their struggle for a share of ink and airtime in the news media, opposition politicians behave like a pack of scent hounds. They have no shame because they know the system is unkind to anyone who does. Their rhetoric is both predictable and extreme; they believe it must be so, in order to make headlines, and they may be right. Still, anyone else who talked the way they do would be regarded as a crank.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
It randomly occurred to me this morning that I didn't know much about Scheer's education and job history and yeah so he has a BA in history and he's basically just been an MP for life.

In Regina, Scheer worked as an insurance broker, a waiter, and in the constituency office of Canadian Alliance MP Larry Spencer.

...Scheer was elected at age 25 as a Conservative candidate in the federal election of 2004, in the riding of Regina—Qu'Appelle...

People like to make fun of Trudeau for being a lightweight in the career category, but Scheer's done much, much less.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
It randomly occurred to me this morning that I didn't know much about Scheer's education and job history and yeah so he has a BA in history and he's basically just been an MP for life.

People like to make fun of Trudeau for being a lightweight in the career category, but Scheer's done much, much less.
This was what people were saying during his leadership run. He'd basically only worked in federal politics all his adult life and has no real life experience. And yet his fake, pudgy self won and now he has to convince people he knows better.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
This was what people were saying during his leadership run. He'd basically only worked in federal politics all his adult life and has no real life experience. And yet his fake, pudgy self won and now he has to convince people he knows better.

Bernier almost won, which tells you about the state and ideology of the CPC.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, in the wake of the Christchurch shootings, my mind comes back to the upcoming federal elections... Bernier spouting the same bullshit that far-right people preach. Spreading fear through misinformation and grossly mischaracterizing immigration issues. And then we have Scheer, hanging out with the likes of Goldy and other white supremacists... and just, I don't know anymore. Anyone that votes for these assholes is selfish, don't pretend that it's not "fuck you, got mine."

I hope the Liberals form government. The Lavscan was outright the most stupid shit I've seen a party pull, just handled absolutely incompetently. I don't know, just ranting at this point...

Last edited:

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It is scheduled to convene next week as it was originally schedule for after the break.

This tweet hasn't aged well.

Remember when people said that Charlie Angus was the better fit for NDP leader because "at least he wouldn't put his foot in his mouth like Singh does?" They're right, Angus put his foot in his mouth with so much force that it should have exploded out the back of his skull.

But I can't say I'm surprised, since...
Opposition is a caricature, and Scheer is a humid performer: Neil Macdonald

Just a good piece about one of the annoying background parts of democracy (especially parliamentarian) that gets more annoying the more attention you pay to politics.

... this article brilliantly articulates what I've always found so wrong with politics and what closer and closer to half of Canadians remember when they tune it out and opt out of voting. If I had the luxury to, I would probably join them, because I'm really tired of governments doing whatever they want in spite of what they campaign on and opposition parties just being in it to oppose for the sake of doing so, regardless of there being any reason or merit, inconsistencies be damned.

It's only notable due to the hypocrisy of it. I'm not the kind of person who thinks that a person's career should exclude them from public office. It was wrong when the Tories engaged in it, but aside from pointing out the hypocrisy, I don't feel a need to turn the tables and do the same thing with Scheer. We have plenty of legitimate reasons to not want him elected as it is, anyways. Like the post directly above mine.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So, in the wake of the Christchurch shootings, my mind comes back to the upcoming federal elections... Bernier spouting the same bullshit that far-right people preach. Spreading fear through misinformation and grossly mischaracterizing immigration issues. And then we have Scheer, hanging out with the likes of Lahren and other white supremacists... and just, I don't know anymore. Anyone that votes for these assholes is selfish, don't pretend that it's not "fuck you, got mine."

I hope the Liberals form government. The Lavscan was outright the most stupid shit I've seen a party pull, just handled absolutely incompetently. I don't know, just ranting at this point...
Don't forget Canada having its own Christchurch with the 2017 mosque shooting in Quebec by that irredeemable Islamophobe whose name should be forgotten to time. I don't think most people are fully prepared for just how toxic this election cycle has been/will become.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Again I'll say, any one who engages in, promotes, supports, or even stands idly by, right wing politics, is evil.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget Canada having its own Christchurch with the 2017 mosque shooting in Quebec by that irredeemable Islamophobe whose name should be forgotten to time. I don't think most people are fully prepared for just how toxic this election cycle has been/will become.
I haven't forgotten, that one was far too close to home.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Again I'll say, any one who engages in, promotes, supports, or even stands idly by, right wing politics, is evil.
I'm gonna need to pull at a thread here and hope nothing unravels, but...

What about people who are happy with Coalition Avenir for going ahead with its PR promises? They're a right-wing party introducing a bi-partisan proposal for what I see as the public good. Surely it's motivated by political self-interest, but one of the greatest victories in politics for the general population is when a political party's self-interest happens to align with the common good.

Does being happy about a right-wing party fulfilling such a promise make someone "evil"?

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna need to pull at a thread here and hope nothing unravels, but...

What about people who are happy with Coalition Avenir for going ahead with its PR promises? They're a right-wing party introducing a bi-partisan proposal for what I see as the public good. Surely it's motivated by political self-interest, but one of the greatest victories in politics for the general population is when a political party's self-interest happens to align with the common good.

Does being happy about a right-wing party fulfilling such a promise make someone "evil"?
"I'm going to pull at a thread and hope nothing unravels?"

Why are you like this? You don't need to dissect something that's clear as day.

Look at the world. If you can't figure it out then keep trying until you do.

Last edited:

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Education Minister of Ontario speaking now. Won't be able to listen but I hope it's not a giant tire fire, but so far it's nothing but fluff bs intro.

Supau

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Education Minister of Ontario speaking now. Won't be able to listen but I hope it's not a giant tire fire, but so far it's nothing but fluff bs intro.

Larger HS classes but outside of that a nothingburger. Curious to see when it will come down the pipe because it's coming, that's for certain.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

It's tragic that yesterday's terror attack is reopening old wounds in Canada as Bisonette's name appeared in the attacker's equipment.

Scheer's half baked response not helping matters.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Scheer's half baked response not helping matters

Liberals need to run this non stop during election:

j5IMvJU.jpg

Not half baked but raw.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
They're really going to want to can CBC now:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5057448

Doug Ford's government is a government of grifters.

It claims to be a truck-stop government: "For The People," and other nonsense. That's while holding $1,600-per-plate fundraisers — known as "cash-for-access" fundraisers back when the Liberals were doing it — after gutting the law that the previous administration put in place to stop wealthy stakeholders from purchasing access to provincial lawmakers. (After the Liberals had their fill, it should be noted.)

Finally someone says it.

Oct 27, 2017

Wasn't it revealed that he was probably not the one to actually take the shooter down, that police behind him were actually the ones firing on him? I remember this being a thing a week or two after the event, that he was being lauded for something he may not have done. Not to diminish his attempt, even if he wasn't the one who fired the shot.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't it revealed that he was probably not the one to actually take the shooter down, that police behind him were actually the ones firing on him? I remember this being a thing a week or two after the event, that he was being lauded for something he may not have done. Not to diminish his attempt, even if he wasn't the one who fired the shot.

Yeah, that's my understanding of it. Kinda blows that the RCMP officer who took the shot gets to remain some unknown while Vickers took most, if not all, of the publicity and credit.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Of course Sneer would fuck up his statement about the NZ attacks, and have to be goaded into amending it.

All Conservatives fake sympathy, and only see it as a way to diffuse suspicion while engaging in dog whistle politics. Evil.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
"I'm going to pull at a thread and hope nothing unravels?"

Why are you like this? You don't need to dissect something that's clear as day.

Look at the world. If you can't figure it out then keep trying until you do.
So is that a "yes", or....?

I'm like this because you presented an absolute and I fully recognized a blank spot in your statement that would clearly label someone as "evil" in your mind if the statement is taken at its face value. I gave you an opportunity to set the record straight so you could not be so easily misinterpreted and hoped that your judgment of those aligning with or abiding by the right-wing, while entirely justified, didn't include such a reasonable exception that could easily be construed as support of the right wing under the terms you stated. So no, what you said isn't "clear as day" if it requires interpretation.

Should I have not given you the benefit of the doubt that you slightly overstated yourself and not permitted you the opportunity to set the record straight and amend yourself in the hope that you had a more reasonable meaning than what the words imply? If so, my mistake, and I'll just continue to understand that you think everything the right does or any praise a person might give them is inherently awful, regardless of context, in accordance with your statement.

I won't be berated or demeaned for allowing you to provide some clarity so that people don't have to feel belittled or shamed for not being the correct kind of progressive they might think that you expect them to be because of a statement that lacks any and all room for exception.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
So is that a "yes", or....?

I'm like this because you presented an absolute and I fully recognized a blank spot in your statement that would clearly label someone as "evil" in your mind if the statement is taken at its face value. I gave you an opportunity to set the record straight so you could not be so easily misinterpreted and hoped that your judgment of those aligning with or abiding by the right-wing, while entirely justified, didn't include such a reasonable exception that could easily be construed as support of the right wing under the terms you stated. So no, what you said isn't "clear as day".

Should I have not given you the benefit of the doubt that you slightly overstated yourself and not permitted you the opportunity to set the record straight and amend yourself in the hope that you had a more reasonable meaning than what the words imply? If so, my mistake, and I'll just continue to understand that everything the right does or any praise a person might give them is inherently awful, regardless of context, in accordance with your statement.

I won't be berated or demeaned for allowing you to provide some clarity so that people don't have to feel belittled or shamed for not being the correct kind of progressive they might think that you expect them to be because of a statement that lacks any and all room for exception.
You are truly exhausting.

I don't want or need you to clarify my statements, as you've now tried to do numerous times. It's bizarre and unwelcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.