• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
I know you love Scheer
I love Scheer as much as I love Harper, which is slightly more than I love Dubya or Trump.

My post history makes my political views obvious, but you're such an ideologue who views anyone who does not fall in line with the LPC as a Conservative supporter that you are blind to anything but the party line.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I love Scheer as much as I love Harper, which is slightly more than I love Dubya or Trump.

My post history makes my political views obvious, but you're such an ideologue who views anyone who does not fall in line with the LPC as a Conservative supporter that you are blind to anything but the party line.
I'm just blind to to understand why anyone would want the Conservatives to have a better chance at anything

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The Prime Minister's Office since February 7th:

Gutter should be asking questions about Trudeau's motives.

Step 1: Kill Electoral Reform and poison the water for the foreseeable future.
Step 2: Do things to polarize the Conservative base. Taunting them that another Trudeau is in power
Step 3: Torpedo own government to put radicalized Conservatives into power
Step 4: Watch as Conservatives burn the country to the ground
Step 5: Swoop in during the next election and use the ensuring chaos to ensure 20 years of Liberal Reign.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Insane. Just turn the page on the story. Wasn't that the whole point of kicking them out of caucus?!?

Meanwhile RIP Liberals in Metro Vancouver

Ousted ex-Liberal MP Jody Wilson-Raybould is still "thinking about options" about her political future — but would beat Liberals in her Vancouver-Granville riding by nearly double digits in an election now, according to a new opinion poll.

if an election were held today, Wilson-Raybould would beat still-unnamed Liberal, NDP and Conservative candidates in that riding.

According to the April 4-5 survey, 33 per cent of her riding's voters would cast their ballot for her as an independent, trailed by the Liberals' 24 per cent support, the NDP's 21 per cent and Tories' 15 per cent.

The larger 514-voter sample of the city found that Wilson-Raybould enjoys 68 per cent support among Vancouverites, more than double the 28 per cent who side with Trudeau.

---
That survey, released last week, found one-third of 2015 Liberal voters in B.C. think a different leader than Trudeau would do things better while one in four thought "a different party would do things better in Ottawa as a government than the Liberals." (That poll included 800 people, with a 3.5 per cent margin of error).
---

Hmm Liberal caucus ditched the wrong person..

Last edited:

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for handing Scheer the election Justin. Another 3 terms of Conservative rule coming.

Canada will look like Mordor by the end.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck Justin for what's to come.
The broken electoral reform promise is shit but did CPC or NDP promise it? Do the NDP share some blame for what's to come for over half a century of failing to convince people they're a credible alternative? Do the 30+% of Canadians who willingly vote CPC not share any of the blame?

CPC returning to power has always been an inevitability in this country, and the liberals are happy to live in a weird faux 2-party system where they're the other half of the coin.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
the NDP share some blame for what's to come for over half a century of failing to convince people they're a credible alternative

You're not going to convince people easily that higher taxes are a good thing. And improved social programs. Especially if you don't need them. Bob Rae had an unprecedented campaign against him during his tenure.

I've largely given up on any party not blatantly pro-capitalist to get elected.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I certainly don't disagree with you Kernel but that's a hurdle the NDP need to overcome if they want to elbow their way to a seat at the table.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I certainly don't disagree with you Kernel but that's a hurdle the NDP need to overcome if they want to elbow their way to a seat at the table.
At the very least. They can fall back to their bread and butter by proposing and making popular progressive policies so that the Liberals can steal them when they get high profile enough. That and Minority Governments where they can knock off a whole set at once.

I mean, if the people aren't going to give them a chance. If people don't want the people who propose popular policies to implement them. And if all forces are acting against them. Atleast they still have options available to them to accomplish their goals.

Last edited:

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, the reason for Gutter's ban I'm sure will come as a shock to you all who have gotten to know him here.
We get 2 days of bliss here.

This NDP surge in Metro Vancouver is interesting but I'm assuming Hedy Fry will retain her decades long seat. You never know though.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I wish the liberals would stop it. Like...the bandaid has been ripped off at this point, time to let it heal. You can see a bit of recovery in polls every time there is some quiet, and then when SNC is brought back up, they dip.

Doing dumb shit like this is letting it fester. STOP letting it fester. AUGH.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
This NDP surge in Metro Vancouver is interesting but I'm assuming Hedy Fry will retain her decades long seat. You never know though.

There have been a lot of rumours going around about her resigning and high profile persons that might step in to run for her seat (eg. Former Mayor Gregor Robertson).

If the seat did open up then the contest would be wide open.

Hedy is imo a pretty weak to outright bad MP but she remains very popular for some reason.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
At the very least. They can fall back to their bread and butter by proposing and making popular progressive policies so that the Liberals can steal them when they get high profile enough. That and Minority Governments where they can knock off a whole set at once.

I mean, if the people aren't going to give them a chance. If people don't want the people who propose popular policies to implement them. And if all forces are acting against them. Atleast they still have options available to them to accomplish their goals.
Yep there are always options for slow progress. It's a shame they're always the bridesmaid, never the bride though.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It took Facebook way too long to do this:

Do we have a thread on this? If not, i'll go ahead and make one.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
0.01% Down. 99.99% Left to go.

At least I appreciate the message they are trying to send. Thrash people like Goldy and her hatred were normalized because of social media. Her garbage became a "different opinion" while it's actually promoting racism and Nazism to get money.

It's time for consequences for these individuals so people learn that content like that isn't a different opinion. Considering what the UK wants to do with social media, it's inevitable that all the big platforms will have to self police much more intensely or face the wrath of justice. And this is part of the overall message : we won't allow you to make money out of content like that.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Doug Ford. Complaining about government costing you money while his government costs you money.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
It took Facebook way too long to do this:

Do we have a thread on this? If not, i'll go ahead and make one.

I don't get why the Liberals didn't just legislate this in the first place, instead of reacting to this news and talking about how they might legislate other companies.. It would have been an easy victory.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Doug Ford. Complaining about government costing you money while his government costs you money.

Someone should go around putting stickers over it that state how much Ford has wasted on stickers/other moronic ideas.

I too believe he will use his family's own company to produce the stickers too, in an act of blatant corruption.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Someone should go around putting stickers over it that state how much Ford has wasted on stickers/other moronic ideas.

I too believe he will use his family's own company to produce the stickers too, in an act of blatant corruption.
Just so everybody else knows what's being talked about:

Allison Jones | @allisonjones_cp
Ontario will be introducing legislation to mandate that these stickers be placed on gasoline pumps #onpoli
OaDWxzd
Doud39u.png

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Just insane that people could get that upset about gas prices. It's 112.9 in Edmonton today. I've paid 135+. My tank is 98 litres. 4 bucks a fill is a drop in the pond. What happens when gas is crazy expensive? I ride my bicycle and walk more, and use the truck more for work rather than work and leisure. It's almost as if monetary incentives actually change behaviours.

Stickers over stickers would be hilarious. Too meta. Not hard to imagine he will contract his company, he's so Trumpian.

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spent the weekend volunteering for the NDP in Calgary. I honestly thought it would be a good time, but a disproportionate amount of time was spent just fixing or replacing our signs. Most were kicked over, some were just outright destroyed or vandalized. Even had heard a couple groups were harassed physically. Alberta has been poisoned with alt-right tactics, and is going blue. I can feel it more each day, and it makes me sad.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Spent the weekend volunteering for the NDP in Calgary. I honestly thought it would be a good time, but a disproportionate amount of time was spent just fixing or replacing our signs. Most were kicked over, some were just outright destroyed or vandalized. Even had heard a couple groups were harassed physically. Alberta has been poisoned with alt-right tactics, and is going blue. I can feel it more each day, and it makes me sad.
Sorry to hear that. People can be such assholes. Why can't they just leave the damn signs alone. Why do people feel the need to harass others. It's stupid.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There have been a lot of rumours going around about her resigning and high profile persons that might step in to run for her seat (eg. Former Mayor Gregor Robertson).

If the seat did open up then the contest would be wide open.

Hedy is imo a pretty weak to outright bad MP but she remains very popular for some reason.
She had a lot of positive moments in her career and is notably infamous for being one of very few MPs to unseat a Prime Minister (even if it was Kim Campbell). She is well liked in her community, brings constituents' issues to Parliament even when they aren't a major party talking point (she might as well have had "safe injection sites" tattooed on her forehead, at some point). I'll agree that she's no superstar, but she's consistent, and sometimes that's all people want from a politician.

She occupies the same weird space in the Liberal Party as Goodale, and both of them will stay until they retire. Goodale's just had a higher profile for a longer period of time.

Just insane that people could get that upset about gas prices. It's 112.9 in Edmonton today. I've paid 135+. My tank is 98 litres. 4 bucks a fill is a drop in the pond. What happens when gas is crazy expensive? I ride my bicycle and walk more, and use the truck more for work rather than work and leisure. It's almost as if monetary incentives actually change behaviours.

The absolute lunacy over the carbon tax transition from people makes it pretty easy to identify people who don't view climate change as a serious threat to health and well-being or believe that they should be some exception from the solution.

Because, as a cigarette smoker who sees ANNUAL tax increases on the product I consume, I can tell you that smokers are very rarely found to throw a fit and complain anywhere near the level that so many do with the carbon tax. Part of that is because the carbon tax is liked and disliked along party lines while tobacco taxation is a seemingly bipartisan harmony moment, but a bigger part of it (IMO) is that smokers KNOW what they do is bad for health and their choice to continue smoking comes at a significant cost to public healthcare that must be recovered, whereas car drivers and consumers are in this weird place of either outright denial or a denial that they should be asked to participate in mitigating the problem their actions cause.

I don't have a solution to that problem, but I hope someone finds one soon. I've always expected to die of tobacco-related illness at some point in my life, but at this rate, climate change might beat tobacco to the punch, which makes me sad because of what that means for everyone else.

TL;DR version - carbon taxes are basically "sin taxes" that are being passed down to you because corporations don't want to pay them, like entitled children. Don't like it? TFB, you don't seem to mind when sin tax is applied selectively and directly to consumers, so if you're against it, shut your damn mouths and let grown-ups do the talking.

I won't dispute what can be considered a bad situation, but... "going" blue? It's been Tory Stronghold #1 for longer than I have been alive. If anything, I'd say that the existing conservative base there have just gotten more belligerently intolerant of non-conservative politics and voters, which I could certainly agree with.

Last edited:

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely more belligerently partisan in Alberta now. When the PC stranglehold on AB was shattered so was the worldview of some disgusting people and they've been bitching (and threatening) ever since.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
She had a lot of positive moments in her career and is notably infamous for being one of very few MPs to unseat a Prime Minister (even if it was Kim Campbell). She is well liked in her community, brings constituents' issues to Parliament even when they aren't a major party talking point (she might as well have had "safe injection sites" tattooed on her forehead, at some point). I'll agree that she's no superstar, but she's consistent, and sometimes that's all people want from a politician.

She occupies the same weird space in the Liberal Party as Goodale, and both of them will stay until they retire. Goodale's just had a higher profile for a longer period of time.

Right yeah she's very popular. I think in a large part because her riding contains Vancouver's "gay village", and she has always been very supportive of gay rights, even early on when the rest of the Liberal party was still ambivalent about things like gay marriage.

The criticism would be around her absurdly crying wolf about racism claiming there were burning crosses in rural BC (there weren't) and the feeling that she's been coasting. But yeah if she's genuinely retiring that's one thing but I'd be more critical if she runs again.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
lmao

Jane Philpott says Trudeau broke the law by kicking former ministers out of caucus

OTTAWA — Former cabinet minister Jane Philpott is asking the Speaker of the House of Commons to examine whether Prime Minister Justin Trudeau violated the law when he expelled her and Jody Wilson-Raybould from the Liberal caucus.

Despite new rules laid out in the Parliament of Canada Act, MPs can't be kicked out of caucus without a vote, and yet Trudeau made a unilateral decision last week to eject her and Wilson-Raybould, Philpott declared Tuesday as she asked Speaker Geoff Regan to declare that their privileges were violated.

A set of amendments to the act, spearheaded by Conservative MP Michael Chong, was passed in 2015 in an effort to make it more difficult for MPs to be removed from caucus — part of an effort to decentralize political power on Parliament Hill and put it back in the hands of rank-and-file legislators.

If Trudeau had followed the rules, it would have taken 90 Liberal MPs to vote to kick her and Wilson-Raybould out, said Philpott — and yet no such recorded vote was held before the prime minister expelled the pair on the grounds that they had lost the trust of caucus.

Deleted member 12950

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I thought the Speaker had already ruled on that regarding Erin Weir's expulsion from the NDP and decided he doesn't have jurisdiction to do anything about it.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Right yeah she's very popular. I think in a large part because her riding contains Vancouver's "gay village", and she has always been very supportive of gay rights, even early on when the rest of the Liberal party was still ambivalent about things like gay marriage.

The criticism would be around her absurdly crying wolf about racism claiming there were burning crosses in rural BC (there weren't) and the feeling that she's been coasting. But yeah if she's genuinely retiring that's one thing but I'd be more critical if she runs again.
If you look at the prior elections in her riding, there's some major names the NDP brought in to run there, one being Kennedy Stewart. So honestly, the NDP shouldn't sink a lot of effort into winning the riding and just wait out Fry's retirement (which I don't imagine will happen in this election), there's other ridings to focus on.

Status
Not open for further replies.