• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really tight numbers so far: 11 PCs, 9 Greens, 6 Liberals leading or elected, with the one by-election still to come (based on the numbers the Greens are getting in Charlottetown, though, I think the prediction that this is a likely Green win is correct).

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
TSN showed Scheer at the Raptors game, ewww. They didn't make it political, but his appearance alone makes it though.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Really tight numbers so far: 11 PCs, 9 Greens, 6 Liberals leading or elected, with the one by-election still to come (based on the numbers the Greens are getting in Charlottetown, though, I think the prediction that this is a likely Green win is correct).
That's quite the result there. Will be interesting to see how it plays out alliance wise, and who backs who for control over the Minority government.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Looks like CBC is predicting a PC minority government in PEI, though I doubt if they established one that it would manage to survive without stripping away every reason people voted for them in the first place.
So if the result holds through the rest of the night, I see them trying to do something typically conservative, lose a confidence vote and the Greens lead a minority with Liberal support and confidence.

There are one or two places that could switch, but currently it's 12-9-5, with one seat yet to be decided (but I would say favouring the Greens). There are two Green seats where I'm pretty sure the advance poll isn't in yet and the Liberals might still win, and similarly one Tory seat where the Liberals could win, but it's not likely.

I'm sad for Wade MacLauchlan, who governed well but ended up losing his seat. I both studied at UPEI while Wade was president and worked for him when he was writing his book, and he's a great guy and brought a very high intellectual caliber to politics. But it's a clean break for him. I'd say that Heath MacDonald is going to be the next Liberal leader.

Very good result for the Greens -- only disappointing in comparison to some of the wilder scenarios floated, especially by the last poll. They've also got all but one of the women in the legislature.

The Tories won decisively in most of the ridings they won, but weirdly didn't come all that close to winning most of the ridings that they didn't. Looks like they'll be the first-ever minority government.

Looks like CBC is predicting a PC minority government in PEI, though I doubt if they established one that it would manage to survive without stripping away every reason people voted for them in the first place.
So if the result holds through the rest of the night, I see them trying to do something typically conservative, lose a confidence vote and the Greens lead a minority with Liberal support and confidence.
The Island PCs are very much in the Red Tory tradition, for the most part. Dennis King isn't an ideologue, so I wouldn't expect him to start pushing unpopular conservative ideas; he pretty much ran on the opposite of that, he was conspicuously moderate.

The only outstanding result is Charlottetown-West Royalty, where currently the Green candidate, Gavin Hall, leads with 529 votes to Liberal Gordon McNeilly's 380. The advance poll still hasn't come in, and given the low vote count (and the examples from the other Charlottetown ridings) it must be huge. McNeilly could still win, and would be the first non-white MLA in Island history if he did.

Ironically, if that happened, it would be the reverse of what happened to McNeilly four years ago when he ran for the NDP and lead the entire night only to get crushed by the advance poll, which put the Liberal in the lead.

Final result from Charlottetown-West Royalty, and the advance poll did indeed put Liberal candidate Gordon McNeilly in first place, a reversal of what happened to him last time. Of 3069 total votes in the district, 1793 (58.4%) were in the advance poll, which took forever to count as a result.

I would guess that, once the by-election in Charlottetown-Hillsborough is held, the legislature will be 12 PC, 9 Green, 6 Liberal.

Well as a Green, this result certainly is disappointing.
I'm sure it's disappointing in comparison to the hopes raised of actually winning the most seats, but this is a big, big win for the Green Party on PEI. It's very rare to go from nothing to government in a single election, as well.

Prior to this election there were only three non-PC/Liberal MLAs elected in the entire history of the province, and two of those were Green MLAs elected in the last four years.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Another Conservative government? Another turfed Liberal party?

tenor.gif

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

tenor.gif

Notice how nobody is screaming bloody murder though? I wonder why that is, maybe it's because it turns out we actually don't mind Conservatives that are actually fucking Conservative at heart, instead of regressive neo-cons with no plans other than burn it all to the ground. But of course, that can't be the answer. Because obviously this place is a single-minded leftist hivemind who only cares about ensuring that right wing governments of any stripe don't get elected.

We can't whatsoever under any circumstances be acknowledged that our hatred of the big "C" Conservatives at the Federal and Provincial Levels across many provinces isn't because they are Conservative, but because of how as of late, world-wide the entire ideology has been drifting towards dangerous populist policies with no sensible scientific backing behind them.

So move along with your trolling.

Last edited:

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Island PCs are very much in the Red Tory tradition, for the most part. Dennis King isn't an ideologue, so I wouldn't expect him to start pushing unpopular conservative ideas; he pretty much ran on the opposite of that, he was conspicuously moderate.
Unless you mention the carbon tax or carbon pricing, which was the primary point of differentiation from other options and the only point he loses his congeniality about.
He'll make a play to attack it at the margins if not gamble on actually joining other provinces in going after the feds about it, bet on it. And if he doesn't, the vote he got is likely to turn on him.

tenor.gif
Glad you're happy about folks electing parties with members that privately (and openly, on occasion) wish I was dead. Not that it has much to do with this election, since none of what excites you about Conservatives will be possible in a minority government, unless he wants to swiftly lose his government.

Unless you mention the carbon tax or carbon pricing, which was the primary point of differentiation from other options and the only point he loses his congeniality about. He'll make a play to attack it at the margins if not gamble on actually joining other provinces in going after the feds about it, bet on it. And if he doesn't, the vote he got is likely to turn on him.
No successful Tory leader in PEI history has ever faced a grassroots rebellion on a policy issue. He took them (narrowly) back to power; they're more than satisfied with that.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
PEI parties are so similar it basically seems like consensus government. I mean on an island of 150k who wants to piss off the people you see every day at the super market?

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wait PR died too? God damn it.
If by "died", you mean got yet another majority but was set up to fail via a government imposed technicality? Yes.

No successful Tory leader in PEI history has ever faced a grassroots rebellion on a policy issue. He took them (narrowly) back to power; they're more than satisfied with that.
One could argue that with so many abnormalities to conventional island politics going on there, the past is no indicator of anything. This is PEI's first minority government since 1890 when the Liberals and Tories tied. It goes without saying that party loyalists wouldn't revolt against a majority when they can get what they voted for more often than not.
This is a whole different situation and I don't think Tory voters there are going to appreciate having the issues they voted them in on (scrapping PEI's carbon tax plan being one of them) scaled that far back just to prevent a possible Green-Liberal coalition.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
If by "died", you mean got yet another majority but was set up to fail via a government imposed technicality? Yes.

One could argue that with so many abnormalities to conventional island politics going on there, the past is no indicator of anything. This is PEI's first minority government since 1890 when the Liberals and Tories tied. It goes without saying that party loyalists wouldn't revolt against a majority when they can get what they voted for more often than not.
This is a whole different situation and I don't think Tory voters there are going to appreciate having the issues they voted them in on (scrapping PEI's carbon tax plan being one of them) scaled that far back just to prevent a possible Green-Liberal coalition.

Would they even be able to pass a bill scrapping the PEI carbon tax? Seems like a dumb hill to die on.

The Tories weren't voted in on scrapping the carbon tax. Their platform was barely emphasized (as with most of the parties; this wasn't an ideological campaign on any side). Which is the norm in Island elections. There hasn't been an election that was really strongly about a sharp ideological contrast since 1970, when the Comprehensive Development Plan was at issue.

King is king now. He won (albeit narrowly) an election after they were out of power for twelve years. He can write his own ticket, as far as the faithful are concerned.

And minority governments do not cause trouble for their leaders, generally, at the caucus level, because parties instinctively band together to stay in power.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
No, the P.E.I. PCs didn't win a 'minority government' last night

Oh, come on. Do we really have to go through this again, Canada? (And specifically, Canadian media outlets, all of whom should, by this point, know better?)

On Tuesday night, Prince Edward Island voters elected 12 Progressive Conservatives, eight Greens and six Liberals, filling a total of 26 seats in the legislature, with one set to remain vacant for the next few months due to the sudden — and tragic — death of Green hopeful Josh Underhay just days before the election.

And while it is absolutely 100 per cent accurate to say that the Progressive Conservatives won the most seats, the same basic math makes it clear that 12 seats is not a majority, and that at the moment, PC Leader Dennis King cannot claim — not, that is, with certainty — that he'll be able to command the confidence of the House.

In fact, as armchair parliamentary strategists are undoubtedly already making a concerted effort to point out, it's not even a guarantee that King and his PC team will get the first chance to form government, as traditionally, the incumbent is given the opportunity to prove that he or she can carry on, although given the dismal showing by the Liberals — whose own leader lost his seat to the Tory blue wave — it's doubtful they'll want to delay the inevitable.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
The PCs in PEI actually seem level headed, if the Ontario PCs and the Federal Tories were like the PEI PCs, I could actually stomach voting for them if they had good policies.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
The PCs in PEI actually seem level headed, if the Ontario PCs and the Federal Tories were like the PEI PCs, I could actually stomach voting for them if they had good policies.

They are definitely small-C conservatives. Like John Tory. More than willing to work all sides of the isle

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Those trees cost money and cover up real estate that could be sold to big developers or something. Efficiencies!

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I may be pessimistic, but I feel that there's no longer a real way to fight white supremacy in the 21st century. Shaming and calling out doesn't work, so what will?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
And more in the conservatives are shit department:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/pol...-oil-executives-map-out-strategy-for-ousting/

It's a paywall but here's a summary:

Top Conservative politicians met with oil-industry executives at a private conference to map out strategy for ousting Justin Trudeau's Liberals in a sign of growing collaboration between the Alberta-based sector and its political backers ahead of the federal election this fall.

The closed-door event reflects the deep ties between federal Conservatives and more activist elements of the Alberta-based oil industry that blame Liberal policies on issues such as pipelines and climate change for job losses and investor apathy that have dogged the sector, despite a broader recovery in energy markets.

The day-long strategy session, held April 11 at the Azuridge Estate Hotel in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, brought together some of Calgary's most prominent business leaders and high-profile Conservatives and their operatives at the invitation of a little-known pro-oil advocacy group called the Modern Miracle Network.

Attendees included Michael Binnion, CEO of Questerre Energy Corp.; Patrick Ward, CEO of Painted Pony Energy Ltd.; Perpetual Energy Inc. CEO Susan Riddell Rose; and her husband, Mike Rose, head of Tourmaline Oil Corp., according to a copy of the confidential agenda that was obtained by The Globe and Mail.

All are board members of the advocacy group, which says it aims to "shift the conversation" on energy so that Canadians embrace "the miracle of modern hydrocarbons," according to its website. They are also governors of the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP), which represents the sector's largest companies; only Mr. Binnion responded to a message seeking comment.

I guess that's the new "clean coal".

I wonder how they're different from those ancient hydrocarbons we've been using all this time.

Federal Conservative Party Leader Andrew Scheer delivered a keynote address, the document showed. His national campaign director, Hamish Marshall, and veteran Conservative organizer Mark Spiro spoke on a panel about "rallying the base" by using friendly interest groups that operate independently of the party.

Oil and gas lobby groups plan to participate actively in the coming federal election to push an agenda that includes more pipelines, lower taxes and less regulation. In February, Mr. Scheer spoke at a rally on Parliament Hill after a convoy of protesters arrived from Alberta to condemn Prime Minister Trudeau's energy and immigration policies.

Oh and one more:

One session at the conference focused on deploying "litigation as a tool" to silence environmental critics and featured U.S. opposition researcher Mike Roman, who served as special assistant and director of special projects and research under Donald Trump until last year

Sue the environmentalists is the plan.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like we are so very fucked.

Ultra right wing extremist anti-non-White nationalism is on the rise and will take power all over the country.

FUCK YOU JUSTIN TRUDEAU!!!

You could have prevented this by keeping your promise to end FPTP, but you had to put the good of your party over the needs of the country!

Last edited:

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm not going that far yet but it's certainly gaining ground the world over. I think the difference this time is that there can be instant global pushback on platforms supporting these kind of people. It's certainly not ideal right now but it's better than the nothing I would have expected 15 years ago.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Well I'm not going that far yet but it's certainly gaining ground the world over. I think the difference this time is that there can be instant global pushback on platforms supporting these kind of people. It's certainly not ideal right now but it's better than the nothing I would have expected 15 years ago.

I forget the article, but I remember reading an article on this a year or so ago, back during when Trump got elected. And a the time it made sense, but thinking back on it, it has a new perspective. Anyhow, the premise of the article was the topic of "Centralism" as a political ideology and how across the world, people are falling out of love of the the centralist schtick in favour of more extreme solutions. Basically. People are just getting tired of solutions that don't really do anything other than keep the status quo.

They see all these issues, but they don't really see any progress being made on them. To make matters worse, they see these issues being consistently promised by politicians over and over again, across multiple elections. So as a result they aren't trusting the politicians to actually follow through. All of this equalling up into people more willing to take risks jumping from one extremist party to another in hopes that shaking things up will get some action on these files. No matter how nonsensical the swings may be towards that overarching goal.

Last edited:

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like we are so very fucked.

Ultra right wing extremist anti-non-White nationalism is on the rise and will take power all over the country.

FUCK YOU JUSTIN TRUDEAU!!!

You could have prevented this had you not put the good of your party over the needs of the country!
Can people explain how Trudeau could have prevented a rise in right extremism. Don't quote the SNC affair as this was happening long before that.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
We made PPC door-hangers with Maxime Bernier's face on them at work this week. So look forward to that I guess.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
Can people explain how Trudeau could have prevented a rise in right extremism. Don't quote the SNC affair as this was happening long before that.

Yeah this logic doesn't make any sense to me. It's like blaming Anita Sarkessian for people like Sargon of Akkad. The assholes might have been less vocal before, but they were still around.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like it basically boils down to him promising electoral reform and breaking the promise, so even though no one else was going to change anything and we'd be in this situation without him anyway, it's all his fault for giving people that brief glimmer of hope.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
We made PPC door-hangers with Maxime Bernier's face on them at work this week. So look forward to that I guess.

I'm gonna hate this election season.

It seems like it basically boils down to him promising electoral reform and breaking the promise, so even though no one else was going to change anything and we'd be in this situation without him anyway, it's all his fault for giving people that brief glimmer of hope.

But electoral reform is not the silver bullet that would solve this problem of a rise in racists. So a few butt hurt NDP voters don't get one plank and we get get Scheer? Makes no fucking sense.

We don't get electoral reform so we would allow a government in power that would eliminate climate action, cut crown corporations, and give more money to wealthy people like myself. Sometimes i just want to vote conservative just because that what people deserve.

We don't have proper planes for our air force but it's this one issue that holds the balance of government?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.