• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
There's a bunch of hybrid and EV trucks coming.

The Rivian truck can tow 11,000 pounds.
Yep, that's part of what has me so excited to wait on a truck, the new Silverado doesn't bring enough to the table and the new Ranger and Colorado are too long in the tooth. I want something innovative and much more environmentally friendly to replace my current Silverado that can still put in big work.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I mean, you'd think so, but I've seen things like Nissan batteries having premature failures and cars randomly having electrical fires that I'm paranoid about anything high-ish current.

When it comes to things like this, it's always good to look at some perspective. Homes have wiring that would put any car to shame. The wires that feed homes put those wires to shame. Worldwide, Gas powered cars burst into flames on the order of tens to hundreds of thousands every single day, and the view is that they are safer and easier to maintain so the reports of failures of battery cars are going to catch a lot more flack in the media.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
The wiring isn't really the problem, it's the battery cells themselves. Power tool batteries can be punctured and explode, and that's 3-15 cells in a pack. EVs are a few more lol.

As mentioned though; internal combustion engines take a fairly crazy concept to work and are relatively safe. No reason to think EVs aren't safer. My main concern is cell degradation from rapid charging and temperature. Lithium ion cells don't like excessive heat or excessive cold.

If nothing else I look forward to simpler maintenance. Oil, antifreeze, power steering fluid, leaking hoses, etc. No thanks. If transmission fluid and differentials are all I have to worry about beyond brakes I'll be pleased. Suspension is easy.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to things like this, it's always good to look at some perspective. Homes have wiring that would put any car to shame. The wires that feed homes put those wires to shame. Worldwide, Gas powered cars burst into flames on the order of tens to hundreds of thousands every single day, and the view is that they are safer and easier to maintain so the reports of failures of battery cars are going to catch a lot more flack in the media.

Haha, house wiring scares me to death. It's why I'm hesitant to buy a home without doing a full electrical inspection first, knowing how some people can do their own wiring...

The wiring isn't really the problem, it's the battery cells themselves. Power tool batteries can be punctured and explode, and that's 3-15 cells in a pack. EVs are a few more lol.

As mentioned though; internal combustion engines take a fairly crazy concept to work and are relatively safe. No reason to think EVs aren't safer. My main concern is cell degradation from rapid charging and temperature. Lithium ion cells don't like excessive heat or excessive cold.

If nothing else I look forward to simpler maintenance. Oil, antifreeze, power steering fluid, leaking hoses, etc. No thanks. If transmission fluid and differentials are all I have to worry about beyond brakes I'll be pleased. Suspension is easy.

My power steering fluid leaked once. It wasn't fun.

But yeah, my fear of electrical stuff comes from my actual, professional background on it. The amount of energy in a Li battery is just staggering.

edit: Also, dendrite formation.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you'd think so, but I've seen things like Nissan batteries having premature failures and cars randomly having electrical fires that I'm paranoid about anything high-ish current.

More or less scary than driving around with a tank of explosive, flammable liquid?
EV battery failures are really rare, just don't let Samsung make them:p

The degradation I've read about in newer cars with thermal management is 10 percent or less under very non ideal situations.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
The degradation I've read about in newer cars with thermal management is 10 percent or less under very non ideal situations.

Yeah, they fixed a lot of the Gen 1 Leaf issues, so it should be okay. Having said that, I'm still going to be on the market for the new 2020 Ioniq Electric, if it ever comes out this year before the election.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they fixed a lot of the Gen 1 Leaf issues, so it should be okay. Having said that, I'm still going to be on the market for the new 2020 Ioniq Electric, if it ever comes out this year before the election.

Yeah the Gen1 Leaf is a poster child for active battery cooling and battery chemistry that can withstand high temperatures.

It might be awful hard to get one of their delivery of the Kona is any indication.

Damn nice car though. I see a lot in the GTA.

It's only sure cooled so I wonder how it holds up.

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
Last edited:

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
The propaganda from Conservos comparing Trudeau to Dump is the biggest load of hog shit I've ever seen.

Andy is ready to gobble up all the bigoted, fascist droppings of Agent Orange, human centipede style. All Conservatives can fuck off forever.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The propaganda from Conservos comparing Trudeau to Dump is the biggest load of hog shit I've ever seen.

Andy is ready to gobble up all the bigoted, fascist droppings of Agent Orange, human centipede style. All Conservatives can fuck off forever.

They do it because it works.

All these right wing assholes whining about Canadian culture but they're more than willing to adopt US style politics.

I wonder how long it will be until they have voters remorse.

Didn't take long with Ford.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017

"The left is CRAZY"

It made me think, what are the chances JBP will be a candidate in the next elections? It seems to be the next logical step in our collective nightmare.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
The Looney Left! While these fucking wingnuts actively promote conspiracy theories and fake news.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't he have to give up tenure at UofT to run? Not like he can be teaching while serving as an MP.

I thought he's on unpaid leave?

Probably makes more money off Patreon than his salary.

And when members of your department write articles on how they regret bringing you in, it's a bit awkward.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Apparently, he has lost a ton of patrons in the last year. He's also more or less become an enemy of the alt-right.
I feel that to stay relevant, a foray into politics is inevitable. And we know the CPC will go hard on the freeze peach on campus crap.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently, he has lost a ton of patrons in the last year. He's also more or less become an enemy of the alt-right.
I feel that to stay relevant, a foray into politics is inevitable. And we know the CPC will go hard on the freeze peach on campus crap.

He's become an enemy? How's that?

I thought they worship his crap.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'd love to see what Elections Canada would have to say about JBP's Patreon if he decided to run for office.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'd love to see what Elections Canada would have to say about JBP's Patreon if he decided to run for office.
That is a question. On one hand its a straight up donation. On the other hand an argument can be made that the act of donating to a patron can be in exchange for a service (through donor exclusive items.)

That said, he would probably be absolutely slammed over it, or be forced to have the campaign start over from scratch... With the Patreon money not allowed to be used for the campaign. Aka, just being personal "JBP funds" instead of "JBP Campaign Funds."

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That is a question. On one hand its a straight up donation. On the other hand an argument can be made that the act of donating to a patron can be in exchange for a service (through donor exclusive items.)

That said, he would probably be absolutely slammed over it, or be forced to have the campaign start over from scratch... With the Patreon money not allowed to be used for the campaign. Aka, just being personal "JBP funds" instead of "JBP Campaign Funds."
He'd probably be able to claim it as campaign contributions, it's the foreign contributions that would be a real problem. Hell, since Patreon is based in the US it could be argued that all contributions are foreign. Also, since he only gets one payment directly from Patreon each month instead of from each patron then he'd be fucked on that anyway.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
"Will you stop blocking climate action, and focus on fighting climate change?"

Conservative premiers: "no"

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Angus Reid Federal Elections Poll

CPC 38%
LIBS 25%
NDP 18%
BLOC 5%
GRN 11%
PPC 3%

• Once again, Canadians identify health care (24%) and the deficit (18%) as high priorities heading into the 2019 election, but environmental issues (27%) now top the list of priorities. Priorities vary significantly across generations and by party support
I don't see why anyone would vote CPC if those are their priorities. But people are stupid, look at Ontario.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
  • Once again, Canadians identify health care (24%) and the deficit (18%) as high priorities heading into the 2019 election, but environmental issues (27%) now top the list of priorities. Priorities vary significantly across generations and by party support
I don't see why anyone would vote CPC if those are their priorities. But people are stupid, look at Ontario.
Bread and butter issues.

I don't like the stupid talk as it oversimpliflies everything. People care about their pocket books first.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Bread and butter issues.

I don't like the stupid talk as it oversimpliflies everything. People care about their pocket books first.

People are stupid.

They think we can have lower taxes and better healthcare.

And then there's people who could afford private healthcare and don't want their tax dollars going toward other people's coverage.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017

Poll also gives an hint about that
  • Currently, one-in-three voters (35%) say that they are planning to vote for a party because they dislike another party even more and want to prevent that party from winning. This sentiment is equally high among Liberals (40%) and Conservatives (40%)

Trudeau's Approval/Disapproval ratio is about on the same level as Trump. Joking about the comparison earlier haha

• Conservative leader Andrew Scheer (40% approve, 46% disapprove), NDP leader Jagmeet Singh (34% vs 45%) and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau (28% vs 67) all have negative net approval scores. Only Green Party leader Elizabeth May is approved of by more Canadians than disapprove of her (45% vs 34%)

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

A) Approval / disapproval means a little less than it does compared to a two-party system.

B) Polling tends to change a *lot* during the actual election period. The LPC went from ~26% to ~40% between August 2015 and the actual election.

Trudeau has some serious challenges, but it's premature to consider this a loss yet, before the election period has even begun. There are no platforms right now, no debates.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, a significant amount of people who pay no attention to much of anything think that Trump is "doing good for America" and "turned their economy around and got them back to work". Easy to believe these same people think Trudeau is shit because they just soak in dumb hearsay, which is everywhere.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
A) Approval / disapproval means a little less than it does compared to a two-party system.

B) Polling tends to change a *lot* during the actual election period. The LPC went from ~26% to ~40% between August 2015 and the actual election.

Trudeau has some serious challenges, but it's premature to consider this a loss yet, before the election period has even begun. There are no platforms right now, no debates.

Doug Ford basically won with no platform at all. Protest or revenge voting is increasingly present in Canada. The previous election in QC, ON and AB were basically about kicking out the government in power and not about electing a viable alternative. While the election is still far away this trend is definitely not good based on what happened at a provincial level.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, a significant amount of people who pay no attention to much of anything think that Trump is "doing good for America" and "turned their economy around and got them back to work". Easy to believe these same people think Trudeau is shit because they just soak in dumb hearsay, which is everywhere.

I still believe that most Canadians think Trump is an idiot.

It's just that people think Trudeau is an idiot and will vote for someone else. No one is paying attention to what Scheer stands for, they just want Trudeau gone.

Same thing happened with Ford, no one gave serious thought that Ford had no policy, just wanted Wynne gone.

Hopefully Trudeau does well on the campaign trail, Ford isn't doing well at all

Scheer will sell us out to the US, just like his buddy Harper wants to.

Not enough reporting on the coordination of the far right.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I think the protest vote going to the greens and NDP in these polls will return home in October

For me, my riding was a flip from the cons and a very close win. Will vote.for my Liberal MP as.he is a fellow nerd. But i.think it will go blue again

Last edited:

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
The Tories won in Ontario without a platform beyond "buck a beer", "let's get this lesbian out of here" and tag-teamed with the Liberals "that a vote for the NDP is a vote for Bob Rae and they'll fuck you over". They also had a bunch of trained seals clapping for them at each debate while their allies in the media normalized everything. No reason to suspect things will play much differently here.
Scheer will sell us out to the US, just like his buddy Harper wants to.
Not enough reporting on the coordination of the far right.
There's a reason for this. The media are on board with Harper Jr. selling us up the river.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Tories won in Ontario without a platform beyond "buck a beer", "let's get this lesbian out of here" and tag-teamed with the Liberals "that a vote for the NDP is a vote for Bob Rae and they'll fuck you over". They also had a bunch of trained seals clapping for them at each debate while their allies in the media normalized everything. No reason to suspect things will play much differently here.

There's a reason for this. The media are on board with Harper Jr. selling us up the river.

Wynne's favorability was also as low as 18 percent. Trudeau may well lose but the situation isn't exactly the same.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Let's be honest, the cons really didn't win Ontario because of the platform they ran on...

They won because the liberals policies led to rapidly rising, unsustainable energy cost.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this and the climate change protest makes me wonder what vanity drives people to have children in the first place if they clearly don't actually care about their future.

But hey, pipelines!!!!

If it's change, conservatives hate it.
Let's be honest, the cons really didn't win Ontario because of the platform they ran on...

They won because the liberals policies led to rapidly rising, unsustainable energy cost.

And Ford hasn't done anything about that, they'll go up if anything.

Which goes to show that whatever grievance people have Liberals, people will vote them out.

Scheer doesn't have to address anything, he's not Trudeau and that's enough.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Scheer will remove GST from home heating fuel, which in itself is enough to have old people cheer in Nova Scotia.

I know a lot of boomers who voted out the provincial NDP 5 years ago, and more than a few of them did it because they lost some of a low income fuel rebate program, that was cut in half.

After raising HST, that was all it took to bury them. Now we see 5 years of Liberals letting the healthcare system collapse, and people dying over it's lack of funding and service outside of Halifax.

Last edited:

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
5% off home heating costs worth a change in government. Is everyone on the verge of bankruptcy over there or what.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
5% off home heating costs worth a change in government. Is everyone on the verge of bankruptcy over there or what.

Cape Breton in NS is an island of pariahs.

Everyone treated rural, no funding from Halifax, 15%+ unemployment, 1 in 3 kids living below the poverty line, roads never paved, total economic collapse and decline for decades. Generations of welfare and now a drug crisis, healthcare crisis with no doctors, ERs getting closed. Alerts issued to notify people when ambulances aren't available.

Yes. On the verge of bankruptcy. Enough so that a separatist movement exists, and it isn't just a funny joke at the expense of mainlanders like it used to be.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
The population on that island isn't that much more than Red Deer. Devoting money out of a federal budget over the course of decades to fix critical infrastructure etc. shouldn't be so difficult. It sounds worse than rural Manitoba where I grew up, and I thought Manitoba's healthcare and infrastructure were a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.