• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to figure out if invoking religion is a smart move for his campaign. It's a fairly rare move in Canadian politics and I don't think the majority of Canadians will like it. It appeals to his core voters but why bother with that when they're already going to vote for him no matter what?

I'm pretty sure he's actually religious though. He's been voting on religious-backed socially conservative policies for a long time, not just since he became party leader. Also part of the Knights of Columbus.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
riding Vancouver-Granville polling

JWR: 32%
Liberal generic: 29%
CPC generic: 20%
*edit to include goof parties
GRN: 10%
NDP: 8%

FOURNIER2.png

Last edited:

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
20% of CPC (Vancouver-Granville) inside a big city is kind of... high

what is up with Western Canadian cities and parts of Toronto electing CPC MPs inside City Limits?

Not "Progressive" much you are

Last edited:

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe 20% of people inside city limits find the Liberals as arrogant and condescending as your post comes across?

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Phew. Some relief then.

Though I wouldn't hate a Liberal minority with the greens holding the main oppo. I just didn't think it'd be possible, but with NDP collapse imminent, who knows!

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
the problem I have with the Canadian version of the Green Party is that I have no fuckin' clue what their policy stances are on a variety of issues.

comparing them to European parties is like apples vs oranges.

IMO, most Green supports also have no clue what Green stands for on non-environmental issues

the party of privileged throw away votes

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Catching up with the news today and the big thing is that Trudeau and Liberals didn't use the word genocide to describe what happened to indigenous women over the decades.

It feels so cowardly that they're afraid to use the word because of "optics", both domestically and internationally, but it's perhaps Canada's greatest shame and we really need to own up to our own horribleness as a nation.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Catching up with the news today and the big thing is that Trudeau and Liberals didn't use the word genocide to describe what happened to indigenous women over the decades.

It feels so cowardly that they're afraid to use the word because of "optics", both domestically and internationally, but it's perhaps Canada's greatest shame and we really need to own up to our own horribleness as a nation.
Probably doesn't want to piss of the QC media that already went crazy over it being described that way.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Probably doesn't want to piss of the QC media that already went crazy over it being described that way.
Ugh, if this is just trying to appease Conservative swing voters, then I don't really know what to say.

It's funny too, CBC jumped from that to a D-Day story and it's such whiplash. Let's sweep this bad story under the rug that makes us confront our racism and think about grandpa fighting Nazis.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
LaPresse had a pretty good column on why it's inappropriate to call it a genocide and why the final report isn't very good either. It raises the good points of it and a lot of the not so good points and how it's shooting in all directions. It was definitely a good decision to call it this way for the impact though

The fact the government didn't gave them the expanded time they've asked for is proof that they had lost the confidence of the government but they've still gave them some leeway to save face.

I don't believe much that Trudeau not naming it like that is pandering to QC. Outside of that bitter ex federal conservative minister I feel no one cares much the issue here unfortunately. The loudmouths in JdeM don't count as normal people. Trudeau not doing anything regarding the religious symbol ban is definitely a better example of pandering. He needs the votes as QC is his best province in the polls and has been for a while. It's also where the CPC is polling the worst. With strong support for the project he will definitely play dumb and leave everything in the hands of the court.

It seems they are definitely slowly rebranding the PM though. They were starting to do this when they wanted him to be the man that "makes though decisions" with the pipeline buyout but the SNC- Lavelin and the Norman's Banana Republic trial threw a wrench in that plan. I feel it's a much better idea than what we had before that left him badly exposed to attacks once his purity veil got pierced.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ugh, if this is just trying to appease Conservative swing voters, then I don't really know what to say.

It's funny too, CBC jumped from that to a D-Day story and it's such whiplash. Let's sweep this bad story under the rug that makes us confront our racism and think about grandpa fighting Nazis.
Related: What's that, indigenous WWII veterans? Never heard of em'.

It's ignorance of and erasure of history like this, among other contributions, which makes it no surprise that cons are getting all huffy over acknowledging the thing that Beverly McLachlin said years before this inquiry and that was known, if not widely by the public then at the very least by those in power for decades (see: the Hawthorn report that preceded the ill-conceived White Papers; it isn't the oldest example but it is the most well known one before this new report), albeit no less disgusting to see this ignorance manifest in the likes of Lynn Beyak and other bigots. Genocide of indigenous people, languages, culture, etc. is the most abhorrent shame that this nation has ever committed, full stop.

EDIT: Just to clarify this wasn't aimed at anyone quoted or in this thread, I just wanted to get this off my chest since I see so many discussions of the World Wars that ignore the contributions made by indigenous people. Sorry if this post came across as particularly antagonistic.

Last edited:

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps I'm misremembering, but didn't Harper oppose the inquiry during the last election because he considered the matter finished?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
So i had no idea this was going on...

White supremacists are banging on the door, pissed off that their views can't get more traction.
Shepherd started her career by introducing a class to JP who's the Canadian entry level gateway to the alt-reich.

Everything that's happening is to try and get people on the white supremacist train. You start out with low level fruit like JP or PDP and move on to Breitbart, Ben Shapiro etc.

Before you know it you're on 4chan/8chan planning attacks.

All the far right terrorists have followed such a path.
And conservative politicians are enablers.

It's depressing as fuck watching all this happen by design and no one doing fuck all.

Oh we need to engage these people in the "marketplace of ideas".

Yes let's discuss whether parts of our society and Canadian citizens are even human and worthy of the same human rights we all enjoy.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Part of the tragedy is that MPs (mainly CPC MPs) invited them as witnesses.

When you're courting that base of voters that's the inevitable result.

One of their MPs was reading from the Christchurch manifesto not long ago.

If there are any dogs at Parliament Hill they'd be going nuts from all the dog whistles going off.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
The "écrapou" era of JDM was a lot less damageable than what it is now. Each day, it's literally the same 10 opinion pieces on islam, immigrants, feminists, persecution of white men, antifa and méchants anglos.
Only the Toronto Sun has a more dismal group of columnists. Though JDM has Nathalie Elgrably so it might actually win.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
The "écrapou" era of JDM was a lot less damageable than what it is now. Each day, it's literally the same 10 opinion pieces on islam, immigrants, feminists, persecution of white men, antifa and méchants anglos.
Only the Toronto Sun has a more dismal group of columnists. Though JDM has Nathalie Elgrably so it might actually win.
+ many of the those "opinionists" have TV segments on TVA/ LCN
+ PKP launched a Web Radio channel called QUB where many of the "hatefuls" have long hour segments spewing their nationalistic garbage on air.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017

Her latest gem:

Or, certains États américains permettent l'avortement sans restriction de temps, y compris pendant l'accouchement. Un gouverneur a même envisagé l'avortement « post-naissance » lorsqu'un bébé survit à une IVG. En Irlande, un site gouvernemental invite tout naturellement les femmes à jeter leur fœtus avorté... dans les toilettes !

Et que dire de Washington, qui vient d'autoriser une entreprise à utiliser les corps des défunts pour fabriquer du compost humain, lequel servira ensuite de vulgaire engrais. Être productif de son vivant est maintenant insuffisant. Il faut également être utile une fois mort.

Rebut

Certes, l'art d'Hippocrate est un humanisme et les progrès de la médecine ont permis d'allonger la vie. En revanche, on jette au rebut les bébés qui contrarient les plans et les dépouilles improductives, on confond avortement et infanticide, et on déshumanise le corps humain. La vie a perdu son caractère sacré, et la mort n'inspire plus aucun respect. La doctrine humaniste promettait un progrès moral, elle a plutôt créé une société pervertie où triomphent l'égoïsme et la culture du déchet.

I googled Ireland foetus toilet and I have no idea where she got that. Probably from a facebook meme.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Her latest gem:

I googled Ireland foetus toilet and I have no idea got that. Probably from a facebook meme.
..........HOLY SHIT WHAT

I haven't read JdM since I moved out of my dad's house 15+ years ago, but I remembered the Journal de Mourial as being a petty tabloid with biased crap (still love the "contient de l'écrapou" clips, they never get old), but not... this. This is beyond the pale. This is pure lies and fabrication and incredibly inflammatory too. What in the seven hells? Has JdM always been this spectacularly trashy, or is it just a recent nosedive kinda thing?

Edit: just checked some of her other articles. Urgh, that was a mistake. What a dumpster fire.

Last edited:

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think Liberals and Greens would ever form a coalition to beat a conservative minority?

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Greens, yes
NDP, no

I believe May's willingness to work with Trudeau, however I can't say the same about anyone in the Federal NDP

Yeah I believe May would but I don't know about the Liberals though. Liberals have proven they would sacrifice 4 years for the better of the party in the long haul. They would put conservatives in power in a minority to let them slip to win a majority again in 4 years - at the cost of the average Canadian.

I'll be voting Liberals. I'm a big fan of what Trudeau and most of the party have done - but they are a party 1st kind of party, then a country 1st one.

Last edited:

mintzilla

Nov 6, 2017
Canada
Canada cant even build a cross country highway that isnt a joke, how the hell Scheer proposes we build a cross country energy corridor? im sure all that land will be easily available right. no issues going through reserves either right?

being a conservative politician must be so damn easy. just say dumb unrealistic shit that you know your base is too stupid to do any further research into.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Canada cant even build a cross country highway that isnt a joke, how the hell Scheer proposes we build a cross country energy corridor? im sure all that land will be easily available right. no issues going through reserves either right?

being a conservative politician must be so damn easy. just say dumb unrealistic shit that you know your base is too stupid to do any further research into.
By "cross country" he means Alberta to Alberta.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
The energy corridor is an idea to appease Québec. It's basically : "we'll let you sell electricity to the West if you let us put pipelines on your territory". Legault is big on electricity because it's an easy way to pretend he does something to fight climate changes and at the same time it plays well with its nationalist base, Hydro-Québec being a "fleuron" and all. If he can sell electricity west, he might even get to build a new gigantic dam, something he's very keen to.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Whoever is in charge of the Ontario's major political parties come 2022: We can't afFord Four More Years had better be your slogan.

I am giving you this for free.
Yeah I believe May would but I don't know about the Liberals though. Liberals have proven they would sacrifice 4 years for the better of the party in the long haul. They would put conservatives in power in a minority to let them slip to win a majority again in 4 years - at the cost of the average Canadian.
FWIW that was Ignatieff who made that call (Dion supported the coalition) and a huge blunder that one would hope the LPC would learn from; I sincerely doubt even insiders would think "Yes let's work with the cons like we did before they got their first majority government in decades" were they to lose and not maintain a plurality of seats in the House of Commons, especially given how much they and basically every party that isn't the CPC are talking about climate change.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

I'll be voting Liberals. I'm a big fan of what Trudeau and most of the party have done - but they are a party 1st kind of party, then a country 1st one.
That's pretty much true of any political party. I doubt it's exclusive to the Liberals. This is politics, nothing personal. The NDP aren't clean in this and we know the conservative record.

May's willingness to work with other parties have been demonstrated earlier which will help her leech more support away from the ndp. At least she has something to bring back to her voters.

Status
Not open for further replies.