• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
lol jesus

The law firm of Richmond Liberal MP Joe Peschisolido facilitated a secretive financial transaction that might have helped an alleged Chinese cartel "drug boss" launder his unexplained wealth through a Metro Vancouver condo development, a Global News investigation reveals.

The service that Peschisolido's firm completed is a so-called "bare trust" joint venture.

This type of deal is legal, but a client involved in this case who is a convicted drug-trafficker should have raised "huge red flags" for the Canadian politician's firm, according to financial crime experts that reviewed documents obtained by Global News.

The land deal facilitated by a lawyer at Peschisolido's firm in 2011 involves a company directed by Kwok Chung Tam, an alleged "heavyweight" in the Big Circle Boys, a powerful Mainland China-based drug cartel, according to Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) records.

The deal was completed while Tam was still serving a conditional sentence for a 2010 drug trafficking conviction, court records show. The bare trust allowed Tam to conceal his ownership stake in a $7.75-million purchase of a 3.7 acre property in Coquitlam, B.C. that sold for $14.8 million in 2015.

Global News has learned that the B.C. Law Society took control of Peschisolido and Co. in April, and that Peschisolido is no longer a member of the society, which regulates the B.C. legal profession. It is not clear if this action is related to the Tam deal or any similar transactions. The society refused to inform Global News why it decided to "wind up" Peschisolido's firm, and Peschisolido would not answer questions on why he is no longer a member of the bar.

Honestly it was pretty remarkable to me that Peschisolido managed to get nominated in the first place. I guess no one was paying much attention.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
That's really cryptic. Is there any reason to be debarred other than you fucked up and broke a law or at least some kind of ethics rule?

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017

The staff turnover at The Rebel is something else. I guess that's expected when the work environment is made up entirely of sociopaths.
I think Sheila deserves a promotion for sticking around for that long. Then again, it's that or going back to (only) being a crazy soccerhockey mom on twitter.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

I was wondering when some foreign shitlord billionaire would be connected to this surge of right wing racism in Canada.

A classy tweet from the CPC over speech patterns

Par for the course for these assholes.

Decorum is all but done in politics.

Edit:

Everyone's favorite CPC cretin:

Oh look there's talk of the election and votes being rigged.

Right wing party says elections are rigged, news at 11.

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
A classy tweet from the CPC over speech patterns.

Sorry but you can't make fun of Trump's speech patterns and then give Trudeau a pass here. He fucking fumbled that hard. All he had to say was he couldn't remember the word for what the reusable bottles were made of or say it in French if he could remember that but not the English translation. Instead he looked flustered like he was caught in a lie over actually using them and sounded like an idiot.
<insert various pics of Trudeau with single use plastic water bottles here>

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but you can't make fun of Trump's speech patterns and then give Trudeau a pass here. He fucking fumbled that hard. All he had to say was he couldn't remember the word for what the reusable bottles were made of or say it in French if he could remember that but not the English translation. Instead he looked flustered like he was caught in a lie over actually using them and sounded like an idiot.
<insert various pics of Trudeau with single use plastic water bottles here>

Who made fun of Trump's speech patterns? Trump has a speech pattern to make fun of?

Besides everything else, they must know that the danger with playing this game is that there are probably hundreds of hours of Scheer out there as well. lol

LOL. This. This is why i don't mock people's speech, I'm can be easily labelled with my idiosyncrasies.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Where is Chretien energy when you need it to capitalize and tyurn tables on a fumble lol. They tried mocking Chretien's facial paralysis from Bell's Palsy and it backlashed hard.

Though I must admit these are different times now, so who knows what lowbrow attempts are currently acceptable in Canadians' minds.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Besides everything else, they must know that the danger with playing this game is that there are probably hundreds of hours of Scheer out there as well. lol
Its only a danger if you have opponents who are willing to use it against you. Our Left doesn't really do that and would be actively punished if they did. So they know they are 100% safe.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Its only a danger if you have opponents who are willing to use it against you. Our Left doesn't really do that and would be actively punished if they did. So they know they are 100% safe.

That's the tragedy. It's targeted towards the base.

this will not come up for questioning over the "positive" politics the CPC claims to be participating in.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Do it do it do it

Advisory council calls for universal, single-payer pharmacare plan

An advisory council appointed by the Liberal government is recommending the establishment of a universal, single-payer public pharmacare system.

The council's 171-page report, released Wednesday, calls for the creation of a new drug agency that would draft a national list of prescription medicines that would be covered by the taxpayer, beginning with an initial list of common and essential drugs, by Jan. 1, 2022.

The council recommends that initial list be expanded to a comprehensive plan by Jan. 2, 2027.

Dr. Eric Hoskins, a former Ontario health minister and chair of the advisory council, is holding a news conference in Ottawa to outline the recommendations at 11 a.m. ET. CBCNews.ca is carrying it live.

Hoskins said the time for universal, single-payer public pharmacare has come.

"This is our generation's national project: better access to the medicines we need, improved health outcomes and a fairer and more sustainable prescription medicine system," he said in a news release.

"Let's complete the unfinished business of universal health care. That can be our promise and our legacy to each other and to all future generations."

Once fully implemented, the report predicts the amount spent on prescription drugs in Canada would drop by roughly $5 billion a year.

In March, the council's interim report recommended the creation of a new national arm's-length agency to manage prescription medications by negotiating prices and creating a formulary of approved, covered drugs.

It's not clear what shape a proposed national pharmacare program might take under the Liberals.

Finance Minister Bill Morneau said last February a new national program would be "fiscally responsible" and designed to fill gaps in coverage — not to provide prescription drugs to Canadians already covered by existing plans.

Speaking at the Economic Club of Canada in Ottawa after the budget was released, Morneau said there's a large number of Canadians, including those who are self-employed, who don't have drug coverage. Some parts of the system are working well, but others are not, he said.

"We need a strategy to deal with the fact not everyone has access, and we need to do it in a way that's responsible, that deals with the gaps, but doesn't throw out the system that we currently have."

The NDP has said that if it wins the October federal election, it will bring in a universal and comprehensive national pharmacare program in 2020.

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said his plan would cover every Canadian and save families an average of $500 a year. It would also save $4.2 billion a year through lower drug costs, he said.

The Parliamentary Budget Officer released a report in 2017 forecasting a similar savings estimate.

Previously Morneau demurred from supporting universal healthcare, but this is a pretty clear statement from the experts that Universal Pharmacare is the right way forward. Maybe he'll change his tune? I hope so!

Of course we saw that the recommendation from experts brought in by the Federal Government to consult on electoral reform was ignored, so no sure thing.

Last edited:

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah someone has to invent a new straw, because I guess the alternatives are pretty lousy.

Here's some articles that will give you more than you ever thought you needed to read about this issue lmao

Bubble tea shops struggle with potential Vancouver straw ban

VANCOUVER—How does one drink bubble tea without a straw?

Bubble tea enthusiasts may need to come up with an answer soon, because Vancouver city council is voting Wednesday on whether to ban some single-use items, including plastic straws, by Nov. 1, 2019. About seven million straws are thrown into the garbage every day in Vancouver, according to the city.

But for some drinks, such as bubble tea, straws are not optional — they are required. The drink is often served in clear plastic cups with a soft plastic cover sealed on top and a thick straw to allow people to drink the tapioca pearls, or "bubbles."

Thick metal straws are not practical to carry around and paper straws would disrupt the drink experience, said Tony Jiang, co-owner of EXP Bubble Tea and Lifestyle on Commercial Drive.

"When the tapioca pearls touch the paper straw, they will stick on it. So it will disrupt the texture of the drink itself," he said. "Bubble tea is not meant to be drunk very fast. It's something that you grab and you walk around with it — the paper straw will melt by then."

City staff say they are aware bubble-tea business owners are concerned about the proposed ban on straws.

How one local bubble tea shop is prepping for the plastic straw ban

Biodegradable paper straws are not the best alternative as they often become soft and mushy and difficult for users to drink the tapioca pearls in bubble tea.

"This (reusable straw) was always something in the back of our minds, we eventually had to do it," said Ivanna Chan, owner of The Bubble Tea (BBT) Shop, underneath Canadian Superstore on No. 3 Road.

Plastic straws are still being used in-store but customers have the option to purchase the new straws and reuse them for future bubble tea purchases.

The reusable straws come in two different sizes and various colours such as rose gold, black and chrome.

Retailing at $3.50 for the bigger size – which is used for traditional bubble tea – and $3 for the smaller one, each straw also comes with a cleaning brush.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering when some foreign shitlord billionaire would be connected to this surge of right wing racism in Canada.

Par for the course for these assholes.

Decorum is all but done in politics.

Edit:

Everyone's favorite CPC cretin:

Oh look there's talk of the election and votes being rigged.

Right wing party says elections are rigged, news at 11.

Oh man, I don't know how I missed this. I think they're just paving the way to throw this accusation if they lose. We weren't able to see how far they would take this in the US. It would be interesting to see how this would play out here.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Do it do it do it

Previously Morneau demurred from supporting universal healthcare, but this is a pretty clear statement from the experts that Universal Pharmacare is the right way forward. Maybe he'll change his tune? I hope so!

Of course we saw that the recommendation from experts brought in by the Federal Government to consult on electoral reform was ignored, so no sure thing.

Throw it on the stack with the hundreds of other reports that say we needed to fix the gaps in our healthcare system years ago.

I'm sure the Liberals will get right on it this time. And I'm certain that if they are asked nicely the Conservative Premiers are going to play nice and immediately begin implementing the plan.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I don't know how I missed this. I think they're just paving the way to throw this accusation if they lose. We weren't able to see how far they would take this in the US. It would be interesting to see how this would play out here.

I think it will be a trainwreck. They'll cause a shitstorm if they lose. They're seeding the seeds for distrust of our elections. Normally government should everything possible to ensure integrity but what do you expect from the Robocall Party ?

And if they win you can expect they'll make voting as difficult as possible.

It's amazing just how GOP North they've become.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's probably a good sign that Trudeau is tweeting positively about the report. Cautiously optimistic?

Ignoring my sarcasm earlier. They have said over the past couple years that they were looking into actually acting on the recommendation of this subcommittee. The real question though has always been to what extent. It would be so incredibly easy for them to pull an Ontario Liberals and start attaching qualifiers to it to keep costs down. Basically having enough to say it exists, but not going far enough with it to the point that it is cumbersome or that people can't get access to their meds.

Because remember. When the OLP did it, they put age qualifiers, restricted the number of drugs available and then made the process to get exemption for coverage or to use your own private plan so complex and time consuming that people were forced off drugs they and their doctors knew worked onto generics that didn't work, just so they could build up more of a paper trail to go back to the ministry so people could get back on their meds.

And that's the main worry. Because that was only with people 25 and under. Imagine the whole population being like that. It'd basically kill Pharmacare from a social policy perspective

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring my sarcasm earlier. They have said over the past couple years that they were looking into actually acting on the recommendation of this subcommittee. The real question though has always been to what extent. It would be so incredibly easy for them to pull an Ontario Liberals and start attaching qualifiers to it to keep costs down. Basically having enough to say it exists, but not going far enough with it to the point that it is cumbersome or that people can't get access to their meds.

Because remember. When the OLP did it, they put age qualifiers, restricted the number of drugs available and then made the process to get exemption for coverage or to use your own private plan so complex and time consuming that people were forced off drugs they and their doctors knew worked onto generics that didn't work, just so they could build up more of a paper trail to go back to the ministry so people could get back on their meds.

And that's the main worry. Because that was only with people 25 and under. Imagine the whole population being like that. It'd basically kill Pharmacare from a social policy perspective

The thing with that, most people age 25 and up in Ontario are employed and has pharmacare of some kind.

the compromise was NDP: everyone is covered but only cover 400 drugs. Liberal; age restrictions but covers 2500 drugs. So pick your poison. Not everyone was happy with either. I may have gotten the numbers wrong but that was my impression.

I wouldn't be surprised if the federal model followed the OLP model unless they were will to find new sources of revenue (taxes).

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Yep devil in the details.

Will it be be genuine universal pharmacare similar to the rest of the healthcare system, or is it gonna be a means testing system that keeps in place the system of employer based health insurance, but merely extends low income coverage?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

I find it hard to believe it's not Dean French:

Also Trudeau just needs to read from this article every day during the campaign:

If Scheer gets away with this, it's on the Liberals.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The thing with that, most people age 25 and up in Ontario are employed and has pharmacare of some kind.

the compromise was NDP: everyone is covered but only cover 400 drugs. Liberal; age restrictions but covers 2500 drugs. So pick your poison. Not everyone was happy with either. I may have gotten the numbers wrong but that was my impression.

I wouldn't be surprised if the federal model followed the OLP model unless they were will to find new sources of revenue (taxes).

Nope, you remembered the compromises on both parties correctly. Neither plan was great. The idea compromise would have been the 2500+ drugs from the Liberal Plan, but the coverage for everybody of the NDP Plan.

Which granted, that would cost a lot. But then they could add in things like requiring the Pharmacies to bill Private Plans first (knowing full well that they'll drop coverage for the stuff the government choses to cover), with the remainder being covered by the Government. Mixed in with hardline bulk price purchasing to ensure that the country as a whole is negotiating with the power of all 35M+ Residents. Then we mix all of that up with stuff to encourage more generics, and liberalizing trade with New Zealand which has a thriving generics market.

Either way. Devil is in the details. They either do it right, or they do it wrong and people bitch to the Conservatives who will be all too happy to "fix the problem"

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
(Outline Link: https://outline.com/48NLRx)

It came after a Greater Toronto Area MPP and a Toronto member personally appealed to Ford to rein in his chief of staff.

Sources says the rookie suburban MPP broke down in tears after being scolded by French outside the airport hotel on Thursday in front of the premier, other MPPs, and staffers.

"She couldn't stop crying," said a PC source, speaking on condition of anonymity.

After French went back inside the hotel — and as the suburban member continued to weep — the Toronto MPP explained to Ford that Tories feel like they are living in the former Soviet Union with secret police monitoring their every move.

"There's a culture of fear — it's like the KGB," the premier was reportedly told by the MPP.

The Toronto member emphasized to Ford that MPPs are afraid to speak out in case they are ejected from caucus like veteran Randy Hillier was in March.

"MPPs are treated as if (they're) lower than the staff," said a Tory source.

Jesus Christ. What a toxic party filled with toxic individuals. The OPC is such a toxic work environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.