• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how his liver donor feels.

Are they in the region? He lost any goodwill long ago. ANd now that the Lebreton Flats project fell through we hate him more. Still, he owns the senators so he has us by the balls.

The thought that the sens staying in Kanata forever is so dumb. It's a sordid affair. Gave me a laugh though when Lisa bulldozed her way just to verbally assault him days after she was called a c***.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Quebec Education Minister is get ridiculed on Twitter concerning Bill 21 on one side while posing with a picture with Malala on the other.

the twitter thread is a gold mine

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the discussion of the last few pages:

The Canadian media really needs to stop using "The West" shorthand. It's a 90s era relic that made sense when the Reform Party's "The West Wants In" rallying cry was relevant and the western provinces were united under that banner. In a modern context, when the government of BC is wildly opposed to the policies of the government of Alberta, how does lumping these provinces under the same banner make any sense?

A few weeks ago I saw an article about how "The West" was upset about the north coast tanker ban which didn't mention BC at all or more narrowly, the literal western most part of Canada, Haida Gwaii, which is strongly supportive of the tanker ban. Lol

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The Canadian media really needs to stop using "The West" shorthand

When they say "The West", they mean the Alberta oil industry.

It's always some article shilling for that industry.

It feels like 50% of the bullshit being spread around through the media(climate change denial etc) is funded by these assholes.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
You know how "West" is just relative anyway? You could keep going East and eventually hit BC, so we can just call it the "Other East coast".

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the discussion of the last few pages:

The Canadian media really needs to stop using "The West" shorthand. It's a 90s era relic that made sense when the Reform Party's "The West Wants In" rallying cry was relevant and the western provinces were united under that banner. In a modern context, when the government of BC is wildly opposed to the policies of the government of Alberta, how does lumping these provinces under the same banner make any sense?

A few weeks ago I saw an article about how "The West" was upset about the north coast tanker ban which didn't mention BC at all or more narrowly, the literal western most part of Canada, Haida Gwaii, which is strongly supportive of the tanker ban. Lol

I feel that sentiment is still strongly felt here as whenever people think about Alberta and their coalition the first thing that pops up is the Ralph Klein era and his prosperity cheques. It's almost sub conscience at this point much like the Bob Rae era.

And yes, BC is always excluded for some reason because we forget the map still goes on LOL. But that's not necessarily a bad thing to be excluded from, outside of legislative disputes.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
So I had to back away from CanadaPoliERA for a bit, both because it was actually depressing me and getting married.
I want to dip my toe back into things, how bad does 2020 look here at the moment from a federal perspective?

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So I had to back away from CanadaPoliERA for a bit, both because it was actually depressing me and getting married.
I want to dip my toe back into things, how bad does 2020 look here at the moment from a federal perspective?

It''s a tossup. Polls keep on swapping LPC and CPC. Greens absolutely ate the NDP base. PPC still stands no chance in hell of making a meaningful difference. Everyone is in a holding pattern until the writ drops.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Liberals and Conservatives are now nationally tied but the bulk of Conservative support is unbalanced in the Prairies giving the Liberals an FPTP edge nationally for now.

Greens are competitive on the coasts which hurts the NDP in BC and Atlantic Canada

2011 Orange Wave in Quebec to become an Orange Colaspse leaving at a minimum 1 MP to maximum 3 MPs to to survive.
Alexandre Boulerice (Rosemont) is the only SAFE NDP MP in Quebec left.

Last edited:

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
So is like the current government basically all done until the election now that the current sitting is over or is there going to be like some super short parliament before the election? (If so is there even enough time to pass any legislation?)

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I feel that sentiment is still strongly felt here as whenever people think about Alberta and their coalition the first thing that pops up is the Ralph Klein era and his prosperity cheques. It's almost sub conscience at this point much like the Bob Rae era.

And yes, BC is always excluded for some reason because we forget the map still goes on LOL. But that's not necessarily a bad thing to be excluded from, outside of legislative disputes.
I can tell you from BC's perspective, some of them feel the "western alienation" too, but at least in Metro Vancouver and the island, it doesn't manifest in the "diving into conservatism head-first" sort of way, it tries to make the rest of the country look pathetic by attempting to show it up, typically by walking the "Canada is a progressive nation of natural beauty" talk, albeit sometimes with mixed results.
For others, it manifests into the Cascadia fantasy of joining with like-minded Washington and Oregon and MAYBE California to form a Pacific coastal bloc country all its own. By their powers combined, etc etc etc.
There's a certain smugness that comes from the first approach; many people in BC feel sorry for eastern Canadians (and let's face it, eastern Canada hasn't exactly made it difficult for BC residents to feel superior to them as of late) and DEFINITELY feel superior to Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba (again, not that difficult for that to be a thing people think there). That poses its own problem when it comes to politics and is usually why they tend to have drastically different voting patterns (like electing Greens federally for the first time ever, for example).
Put simply, when urban BC feels like their vote doesn't matter, they'll do whatever the hell they want in that ballot box and feel 100% good about their choices while they do it. Many of them vote purely on their principles, whatever those may be. And in riding-rich Vancouver and Victoria, that rarely includes the Conservatives after the Mulroney years. Outside of those areas, though? They vote like Albertans, like clockwork.
Same problem, but urban BC found less nationally-damaging coping skills, overall. Thank goodness.
So is like the current government basically all done until the election now that the current sitting is over or is there going to be like some super short parliament before the election? (If so is there even enough time to pass any legislation?)
Yeah, don't expect much.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I can tell you from BC's perspective, some of them feel the "western alienation" too, but at least in Metro Vancouver and the island, it doesn't manifest in the "diving into conservatism head-first" sort of way, it tries to make the rest of the country look pathetic by attempting to show it up, typically by walking the "Canada is a progressive nation of natural beauty" talk, albeit sometimes with mixed results.
For others, it manifests into the Cascadia fantasy of joining with like-minded Washington and Oregon and MAYBE California to form a Pacific coastal bloc country all its own. By their powers combined, etc etc etc.
There's a certain smugness that comes from the first approach; many people in BC feel sorry for eastern Canadians (and let's face it, eastern Canada hasn't exactly made it difficult for BC residents to feel superior to them as of late) and DEFINITELY feel superior to Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba (again, not that difficult for that to be a thing people think there). That poses its own problem when it comes to politics and is usually why they tend to have drastically different voting patterns (like electing Greens federally for the first time ever, for example).
Put simply, when urban BC feels like their vote doesn't matter, they'll do whatever the hell they want in that ballot box and feel 100% good about their choices while they do it. Many of them vote purely on their principles, whatever those may be. And in riding-rich Vancouver and Victoria, that rarely includes the Conservatives after the Mulroney years. Outside of those areas, though? They vote like Albertans, like clockwork.
Same problem, but urban BC found less nationally-damaging coping skills, overall. Thank goodness.

Yeah, don't expect much.

A lot of interior BC residents are former Alberta residents. And plenty of them shuffle back and forth between the border a lot.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if you're going to have an election, you shouldn't be able to take a summer break. At least the Ontario election happened during the time of the summer recess so it didn't feel like they were wasting time.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
They're on a roll

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/0...ew-dying-volatile-industry-to-tie-economy-to/

CALGARY — One of the United Conservative Party's first acts is to create a brand new task force to find a replacement for the oil sands as the erratic, short term linchpin of Alberta's economy.

"I ran on a platform of narrow, short-term economic thinking and I will deliver on that," stated premier Jason Kenney before an enthusiastic crowd. "We believe that Albertans deserve job security, and then to have that job security ripped away from them when factors outside our control crash the one sector of the economy we rely on

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
i blame Harper's fixed election dates
Like always. Adopting americanisms really does screw up how democracy functions. The fixed election dates waste time and money, opened up a whole truckload full of cans of worms in reguards to campaign finance laws, fixed the campaign cycles of parties to make them behave more aggressively as they more carefully timed when they released which policies.

It really fucked with things.

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
Further on to what I was saying before about the TMX expansion not changing gas prices here in BC at all, I found something that I missed.

The limited information available indicates about 55 per cent of B.C.'s gasoline and 71 per cent of its diesel is imported from Alberta refineries, finds the report. That means B.C. vehicles account for more than 20 per cent of Alberta's gasoline and diesel sales. Without the B.C. market, Alberta refiners would have to dump their excess supply in Alberta, lowering gasoline and diesel prices there.

Allan and Eliesen found no evidence of chronic shortages in the Vancouver marketplace or lack of capacity on the Trans Mountain pipeline.

In March, as gas prices soared in the region, the pipeline had unused capacity that could have carried 97,000 barrels a day if the products were needed, the report says.

Yet many commentators and Alberta columnists have linked high prices in the region to the fact that the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion hasn't proceeded.

Allan and Eliesen note none of the companies have indicated difficulty reaching the market during the recent period of high prices, or said they wanted greater capacity on the Trans Mountain pipeline.

And the pipeline expansion will not increase refined product shipments to the Vancouver region, contrary to claims made by Alberta Premier Jason Kenney and other commentators.

Last May, Kenney claimed that the expansion would lower gasoline prices in the Lower Mainland.

Yet as Allan and Eliesen note, Trans Mountain told the National Energy Board in 2013 "that refined product shipments will not increase" as the project is designed to increase exports.

The report found that refining profits have jumped in recent years across Canada, and the Vancouver area has witnessed the highest increases.

So it's just straight-up lies to tie gas prices to the TMX expansion at all.
I have a hard time seeing why any British Columbian would be in favor of this expansion. We take all the risk of dilbit spills and the damage they would cause while I can't see any benefits to it.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Further on to what I was saying before about the TMX expansion not changing gas prices here in BC at all, I found something that I missed.

So it's just straight-up lies to tie gas prices to the TMX expansion at all.
I have a hard time seeing why any British Columbian would be in favor of this expansion. We take all the risk of dilbit spills and the damage they would cause while I can't see any benefits to it.
Hey hey hey, your truth has no place in Kenney's political narrative. Don't bite the hand that feeds, build that pipe because it's good for BC, alberta bankrolls all of Canada and gets no respec', no respec' at all, Alberta is a benevolent god emperor but BC needs to obey without question.

Did I miss any other right wing Albertan idiocy in there?

How much are gas prices in BC. It still hasn't normalized?
The small communities I work in are consistently 134.9-139.9 from what I've seen so far this summer, in comparison to the 95.9 I see in Edmonton currently. Seems mostly to be a small town problem though and not just a "in the middle of nowhere in the mountains" problem (or TMX problem lol).

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Legault's CAQ honeymoon is having an affect Federally where support for Federal Conservatives has risen in Quebec mostly surrounding anti-immigration and identity.

*edit

This just in, sTupid Nationaliste Fuck Head Premier François Legault has decided that he now opposes the Federal Carbon Tax

These fuckin' Conesrvatives, fuck Legault , he's just another Right Wing fuck siding up with Andrew Sheer with their "PROVINCE RIGHTS" bullshit

Fuck 'em

"compétences du Québec" blablabla bullshit for the last 70 years of annoying Nationalistes

Canada will never be great because Provinces suck

Last edited:

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone recommend some history reading on how voting interests in the prairie provinces have shifted over the last hundred years?

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty obvious it's a strategy to influence the federal campaign because he knows what's coming next. This is pretty much in line with his strategy overall. To do what he said he would to no matter the cost and what is making him popular. Yeah he's definitely using the provincial power and jurisdiction card to fuel the fire. He's still for the cap and trade we have though.

I guess this is also to act friendly with SK because there is quite the cold shoulder between the two provinces.

Fairly interesting that Norman Spector was explaining about how QC used to be friend with AB and the prairies on protecting provincial power before all hell broke loose.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
All Scheer needs to do to win is stay quiet and...

The caricatures about this could be glorious. The fossil fuel sector is putting all their weight behind Scheer. At this point he probably has a shrine in his home with fuel and shale gas samples in holy receptacle next to his bible and his anti abortion leaflets and his emergency anti green peace kit.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The caricatures about this could be glorious. The fossil fuel sector is putting all their weight behind Scheer. At this point he probably has a shrine in his home with fuel and shale gas samples in holy receptacle next to his bible and his anti abortion leaflets and his emergency anti green peace kit.

I'm sure he also has shares and investments in FF as well.

But holy shit I laughed out loud picturing Scheer praying to shale gas samples while being fanned with pro life pamphlets LMAO.

While he chants Harper's mantra "Canada will be an energy superpower".

Thanks for the image.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Oooh..

Nanos showing Liberals in 4% lead over Conservatives federally. NDP recovering slightly. PPC.. hopefully eating into Conservatives and not the Greens.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

I think this is spot on.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Scheer vows to scrap clean fuel standard, calls Liberal plan a 'secret fuel tax'

calgary-stampede-scheer-20190706.jpg

Facepalm-Girl.png

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Lots going around today.

For Ontarians. A good twitter thread and article linked of what was lost when Ford axed cap&trade.

Lots of good initiatives are without funding.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Is it a surprise a Conservative would cancel a bicycle commuting initiative? Look at the picture of Kenney's political clowns, I mean cowboys. Maybe their wives see a spitting image of health but I see a bunch of obese men who haven't been on the business end of a bicycle since grade school. They probably think cyclists are stupid dirty poors who don't realize or can't afford the fancy bikes with motors or the leather gear most riders wear.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it a surprise a Conservative would cancel a bicycle commuting initiative? Look at the picture of Kenney's political clowns, I mean cowboys. Maybe their wives see a spitting image of health but I see a bunch of obese men who haven't been on the business end of a bicycle since grade school. They probably think cyclists are stupid dirty poors who don't realize or can't afford the fancy bikes with motors or the leather gear most riders wear.

The Fords were notoriously anti-bicycle at Toronto council, ranting and raving about them all the time.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Gotta keep us reliant on their friends in the fossil fuel industry.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
The Fords were notoriously anti-bicycle at Toronto council, ranting and raving about them all the time.
Not surprising in the least, at least Rob could blame drugs for all the sweating. Dough sweats bullets just standing still.

Gotta keep us reliant on their friends in the fossil fuel industry.
Yep, working towards that Wall-E future powered by a basis of "clean coal" and dilbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.