• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Don't know about your city but mine imposed quotas on cops to dole out tickets and had bonuses for cops who exceeded quotas under our previous mayor
Same here. Edmonton make big money off motorists. It's not uncommon for Edmonton cops to give out over 600 speeding tickets PER DAY. They are everywhere and just love camping out at school zones. Photo radar is everywhere too. A few years back I read that Edmonton gives out more speeding tickets than any other city in North America. Considering that the LA area has 10X the population, that's a bit ridiculous.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still skeptical of Mainstreet but their trend line seems to be aligned with other polls.

I know I'm cheating but august will probably get a better sense. I'm honestly more interested how the Greens and PPC play in all of this.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
It's still very early, and ANYTHING can happen.

Whatever happens I hope we don't have the Conservatives in power!

So once again I am going to have to hold my nose and vote LPC.

FUCK YOU Trudeau for breaking your promise on electoral reform!!!

Congo Jack

Oct 25, 2017
Candy Apple Island
I'm convinced that it'll be a liberal minorty government come this fall, I've held this belief for over a year and nothing has swayed me to think otherwise. Greens will do a bit better, but not by a crazy amount and the PPC will continue to be a rabble of failed clowns.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
If Liberals win a majority, great result.

If Liberals win a minority, and Greens gain seats, they could ride center-left and centrist policies except climate change policy, which would be moved further to the left and quite frankly, it is the biggest problem right now that needs to be solved.

NDP is toasted though except BC and some parts of Prairies.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Mulcair spent his entire tenure in Provincial politics as a Centre-Right Thatcherite, that is true,

his venture into Federal politics was a mascarade

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
That mainstreet poll predicts that the Liberals would form another majority if the election was held today. My quick estimates indicate that the liberals would likely win somewhere between 175 to 185 seats according to that mainstreet poll. Like 40-45 percent of their seats will come from ontario in this scenario.

Oct 25, 2017
That mainstreet poll predicts that the Liberals would form another majority if the election was held today. My quick estimates indicate that the liberals would likely win somewhere between 175 to 185 seats according to that mainstreet poll. Like 40-45 percent of their seats will come from ontario in this scenario.

If that happens I can't wait to see how the OPC reacts

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm still skeptical of Mainstreet but their trend line seems to be aligned with other polls.

I know I'm cheating but august will probably get a better sense. I'm honestly more interested how the Greens and PPC play in all of this.
It's funny that you mention the PPC... I took this picture because what it shows beggars belief.

14t0i7o.jpg

This camper was spotted by myself while driving home from getting groceries. It was heading into Saskatoon from the highway heading eastbound.
I can't speak for anywhere else, but the PPC does offer an enticement to the biggest right-wing whackadoos in the prairies and might be able to split the vote in some ridings here. At least they're dissatisfied with the Tories enough to pay money to do this to a shitty RV.

YEP.

The Financial Post, wistful for the days of the more centrist Mulcair...

Of course, certain people long for the days where every party had the interests of corporate Canada in mind to one degree or another. They like when they win regardless of the outcome exercised by the "will of the people".

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, certain people long for the days where every party had the interests of corporate Canada in mind to one degree or another. They like when they win regardless of the outcome exercised by the "will of the people"

They'd love for Canada to be like the US. Where both parties are bought and sold to corporate and foreign interests minus a few newcomers like AOC.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
I believe they have some Republican consultants from the US working for them so they're probably reaching some internal milestones lately.

What we call pathetic they call conservative.

It's pathetic and I will call them that as long as they are, which is likely to be quite some time.

Their party is now defined by snake oil salesmen who try to slink by in the shadows offering grand promises with few or no details. A pathetic excuse for a political party.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Their party is now defined by snake oil salesmen who try to slink by in the shadows offering grand promises with few or no details. A pathetic excuse for a political party

As I said it's American style politics imported into Canada.

Stand for nothing, oppose everything while ramping up negative coverage and hate against your opponent. Divide the electorate and have people vote with emotion not their head.

The laziest fucking voters in the country will come out just to vote Trudeau out, because people post anti-Trudeau memes on their FB wall.

Look at Ontario, Ford had no platform but hey let's vote Wynne out.

If you don't have a costed platform you should be fucking barred from running FFS.

Hopefully Andy keeps sinking into a lake of Ford's excrement. I have some hope that Canadians can see through the bullshit.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Man Ontario is really open for business in that there is going to be 550 ex bombardier workers ready for a new job. -.-

CPC is so going to fail in Ontario next election.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
As I said it's American style politics imported into Canada.

Stand for nothing, oppose everything while ramping up negative coverage and hate against your opponent. Divide the electorate and have people vote with emotion not their head.

The laziest fucking voters in the country will come out just to vote Trudeau out, because people post anti-Trudeau memes on their FB wall.

Look at Ontario, Ford had no platform but hey let's vote Wynne out.

If you don't have a costed platform you should be fucking barred from running FFS.

Hopefully Andy keeps sinking into a lake of Ford's excrement. I have some hope that Canadians can see through the bullshit.

Exactly. I sincerely hope the Conservative party is hit with a massive backlash for flirting with this strategy. People were morons for voting for Ford, but hopefully the populace can redeem itself.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are those bombardier employee's Ford's fault? I think the company just wanted to can a bunch of people, no?

If he doesn't want it to be perceived as his fault (whether or not it is), then maybe he shouldn't have made 'Open for Business' his rallying cry and slogan. You don't take credit for things that go well if you can't bear the responsibility when they go poorly.

Edit - Actually, it looks like Doug Ford previously talked about this... and then did nothing about it.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Are those bombardier employee's Ford's fault? I think the company just wanted to can a bunch of people, no?

Bombardier is a terribly managed company. It constantly needs government subsidies and to blackmail the government to get PT contracts or else it fires people. It brutally ripped off the previous QC government by taking a cool US billion from them in exchange for half the shares in their C series spinoff only to dilute it to less than 20% of the shares weeks later and give the company to Airbus for 0$.

They constantly miss deadline to ship their trains and subway cars. It was judged so noncompetitive it lost the contract for the light rail train system in Montréal even though that LRT system is funded by the CDPQ which owns huge stakes in Bombardier.

It's "owned" by the billionaire Beaudoin family which have multivotes shares which let them keep control of the company even if they don't own the most of it.

Now they are doing their show in Ontario. Give us the contracts which we cannot legitimately win or we'll fire half the plant.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
So I've never done it. Is it easy to vote when out of country? I'll be in Europe during election time.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny that you mention the PPC... I took this picture because what it shows beggars belief.

14t0i7o.jpg

This camper was spotted by myself while driving home from getting groceries. It was heading into Saskatoon from the highway heading eastbound.
I can't speak for anywhere else, but the PPC does offer an enticement to the biggest right-wing whackadoos in the prairies and might be able to split the vote in some ridings here. At least they're dissatisfied with the Tories enough to pay money to do this to a shitty RV.

Of course, certain people long for the days where every party had the interests of corporate Canada in mind to one degree or another. They like when they win regardless of the outcome exercised by the "will of the people".

Disgusting.

To tabris: there is early voting unless you're gone well before then.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Agreed. But if there are enough of them here (and let's be honest, the prairies have no shortage of far-right whackadoos who believe in all the things Bernier and his party says as it is, it just becomes a matter of whether they can make the incredibly-short leap into voting for the PPC instead), the Tories could lose seats to the NDP in their prairie strongholds and give the Liberals at least a minority government, if not more.

And who wouldn't absolutely relish seeing that happen, especially with that outcome being thanks to the FPTP system that the Tories defend with every tooth and nail? Poetic justice would never be so delicious.

It will all come down to how Bernier is able to perform after the writ drops. If he can portray Scheer as a milquetoast conservative who bends like a reed in the wind in order to keep a positive image with the centrist voter (which he absolutely is and will continue to be so he can try and win back good will with Ontario voters) among far-right Tory voters, Scheer would be getting attacked from literally all sides, which I doubt he would have the capacity to adequately defend without inadvertently dismantling the party's big tent.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
If Scheer loses seats, he just might step down.

And if he does, Kenney will quit the UCP and join federal politics.

And if that happens, NDP for Alberta again?!?

bremon

Oct 27, 2017

Pleeeeeease! He can call in all the favours everyone owes him for making them some pancakes and get the fuck out of Alberta.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
We never thought he'd made it provincially, but we were wrong. Never count out Ford's brand of stupid.
Best not to conflate personal hopes with actual possibility. It was entirely possible that it would happen, everyone just prayed for reason in vain. Federal politics is a whole new ball game. Just ask Jagmeet Singh.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Can't help but wonder what the western Alt-righters think of cheering for a guy named Maxime Bernier. Which is stronger, their hatred of Quebec or their hatred of Liberals?
You know the answer.

If there's one party that would try to ignore having a bilingual leader it's the CPC. lol
Nah, they wouldn't risk giving the Bloc ammunition in their "French culture erasure" narrative and lose any possibility in Quebec.

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta

It would be political suicide for Kenney to leave his position as Alberta's premier in his first term. The problem for Kenney is the longer he stays as Alberta's premier the more damage he does to his national image with his really pro oil stance and his weakness on social issues. People are meh about him on the national level so far according to a poll conducted by abacus recently. Like 15% of canadian's according to that poll have a positive impression of him and 22% have a negative impression of Kenney. The rest are neutral about him or do not know him.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
It would be political suicide for Kenney to leave his position as Alberta's premier in his first term. The problem for Kenney is the longer he stays as Alberta's premier the more damage he does to his national image with his really pro oil stance and his weakness on social issues. People are meh about him on the national level so far according to a poll conducted by abacus recently. Like 15% of canadian's according to that poll have a positive impression of him according to that same poll and 22% have a negative impression of Kenney

I mean, Kenney has a lower approval rate than Notley and the UCP still won the election...

Status
Not open for further replies.