• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, hold up a second here. Why is the Non-binary sex-polling leaning so heavily Conservative. Conservatives literally want them to not exist and actively write policies against them. It makes absolutely zero sense.

Yah i have no idea about that too. why i wanted to point out this is a forum poll.

Anyways, gals and guys! I think this Kinsella hire is a bad idea and might backfire. Thread...

And mike moffat reminds us that May supported Ghomeshi? Yeeesh, this is stirring up the pot in weird ways.

WAt?!

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Non-binary voting for CPC? WTF

Okay, hold up a second here. Why is the Non-binary sex-polling leaning so heavily Conservative. Conservatives literally want them to not exist and actively write policies against them. It makes absolutely zero sense.

It just means that a handful of people trolled the pollster, and of course it's mostly conservative voters who probably said they were identifying as an attack helicopter. ROFL ROFL...
Look at the numbers for non-binary. I can't quite make out the sample, but it must have been extremely small considering three parties have the same percentage.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I just saw the premier group photo and threw up in my mouth. What an embarrassing herd of useless, straight men.

What does them being straight have to do with anything?

Extremely small sample size?

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
So gutter mentioned it a few days ago that Unplanned was sliming its way into Canadian cineplex.

It's not propaganda! Not at all! The movie's page is just liking posts by a politician prior to an election to make sure it gets seen!

I hate this shit. It's only going to get worse.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, but are they useless because they are straight?
Yes. Straight men (predominantly straight white men) have a monopoly on government and that's not good.

As a whole, they've demonstrated that the majority of them do not have the interests of others in mind, and actively undermine progress and equality, among other important issues.

If you're a straight man and you don't do that, then congratulations, you're doing the right thing. Now go make sure others do the same.

Side note: I'm tired of the heteronormative defense squad on this site swooping in every time inequality is called out. It seems to happen a lot here, and it's very telling. This is a general message, so don't take personal offence, unless again you are part of the problem, then full offence intended.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So gutter mentioned it a few days ago that Unplanned was sliming its way into Canadian cineplex.

It's not propaganda! Not at all! The movie's page is just liking posts by a politician prior to an election to make sure it gets seen!

I hate this shit. It's only going to get worse.

Liking a picture to own the Lib (eral Party of Canada).

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Green party is more left than the Liberals. They've had Pharmacare, Preventative Dentalcare and a Negative Income Tax on their party platform for years now. On the Student Loan front, they want to work towards Abolishing Tuition and eliminating existing Student Debt through increased interest free periods.

Where is the Liberal positions on half of these items? Sure. The're not the NDP. But they're a hell of a lot more progressive than the LPC tries to claim itself to be.
The Greens are more left on social and environmental issues, but that tells only part of the story.

The Greens get accused for being centrist and/or right-wing based mostly on their history and policy positions other than environmental and social, mostly foreign and economic, though they have at least one controversial environmental position, too. The leader prior to May was quite a libertarian, as well, which was admittedly a horrid look for them and I'm glad that May took the party back in a better direction.

But now, anything that brings a whiff of being deviant from the traditional leftist position occupied by the NDP would give the appearance of being regressive, centrist or even right-wing. Some examples:

- as has been mentioned here before, the NDP holds a much stronger position on worker rights and protections (which is entirely unsurprising), especially under Singh
- they sternly believe that handgun bans are ineffective and all effort should be placed on stopping the import of illegal unregistered handguns from the US, which is an issue that divides many on the left and I myself am of 2 minds about
- their foreign policy or, more accurately, the glaring lack of it, which is difficult to characterize as either right or left wing
- their position of anti-GMO crop growth and anti-GMO research funding in Canada, which is again difficult to characterize as left or right on the spectrum but easily comes off as something from the conspiratorial right wing
- their anti-nuclear power stance, which angers a subset of environmentalists but is a correct position to take IMO, at least until we have a permanent solution to storage of high-level nuclear waste one way or the other (we only just started narrowing down candidate locations for a deep geological repository site for the high-level waste and are storing waste on-site, meaning our aging power plants cannot be decommissioned until that has been concluded)
- abolition of monarchal rule (not a position held by May personally, but one that many in her party agree with), a position most often held by the right wing
- accusations that they are more concerned with the environment than they are with the poor (and I can't deny there are a lot of bougie white environmentalists in the party, but there's not enough info to validate this claim)

There's a bit more, but I'm losing TV time compiling this, so...
It's a lot of policy positions that are sometimes difficult to place on the spectrum, but reflect poorly on the Greens' leftist cred all the same, depending on who's looking.

Personally, I'm of the mindset that the left has a lot more flexibility than it allows itself to exercise in that they can be in favour of the same end result policy in both intent and efficacy but still have different methods to get there, whereas the right has basically boxed themselves into one method with the only difference between one over the other being to what severity they employ it.
Conservatives have convinced nearly everyone that the only position the left can take is being tax-and-spend politicians and that conservatives are the ONLY type of politician that can offer other fiscal options like cutting programs, slashing spending or reducing budget bloat, making these 2 positions part of the left-right dichotomy. This is also where some of the Greens-as-centrists dialogue comes from, being less aggressive on certain types of taxation than the NDP.

I'm of the mind that what better differentiates right and left here isn't cuts versus taxation, but which programs are cut, where spending is slashed and what is considered to be bloating the budget, along with how much the spending is decreased in these areas. One could hardly consider cutting military spending, government advertising (sometimes read: propaganda) or corporate subsidies (O&G and logging, precisely) to be right-wing actions, after all, just like I logically don't equate new taxation exclusively with the left (although conservative politicians, through their own bluster, have made the introduction of new taxes under their watch akin to tanking their chances at re-election). But cutting spending in those 3 areas are part of how Greens expect to pay for some of their proposals and, from an outside perspective, far more aggressively than any other party was willing to in 2015. They do also propose increased taxation, in addition to that, but more as a measure to take other taxation away (like removing income tax on $20K or less earners) or to promote better ecology beyond GHG reductions (a modest "toxin tax" on industrial pollutants that is not revenue-neutral).

I can see where the argument comes from, but Greens as centrists doesn't hold a lot of water, at the end of the day. Unless I missed something, of course.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It'll bomb, yeah, but it bothers me that the movie is just trying to sneak its way into Trudeau's Instagram.
Frankly, i'm more disgusted that Cineplex is showing the movie at all. And that they gave the "much free speech" defense for something they're making money off of it, if more from concession stands sales than tickets.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
both Cineplex and Guzzo are fuckin' morons

the movie's title is clearly a jab at Planned Parenthood

some Canadians are freakin' dense

fuck Vince Guzzo, he's been getting ripped to shreds across radio stations
---

Radio clip available in link where Vincent Guzzo yells and mansplain at Geneviève Pettersen about "Unplanned" v v v

Mélanie Joly reacts to Vince Guzzo, Unplanned after his tantrum

Last edited:

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Frankly, i'm more disgusted that Cineplex is showing the movie at all. And that they gave the "much free speech" defense for something they're making money off of it, if more from concession stands sales than tickets.

Yeah I saw that and it was like...come the fuck on.

Anyway, it's apparently selling out the theatres it's playing in. Granted, it's like 9 theatres in interior BC and across the prairies or whatever, but you know.

Yeehaw.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the big deal in showing the movie. It's not going to convince anyone to switch sides.

I mean you can see Spider-Man, or you can see this? Lol.

Let it tank, the bigots can see how unpopular their views are.

I don't think most people would be aware of this.

I didn't even know we have PP up in Canada lol.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I don't see the big deal in showing the movie. It's not going to convince anyone to switch sides.

I mean you can see Spider-Man, or you can see this? Lol.

Let it tank, the bigots can see how unpopular their views are.

I don't think most people would be aware of this.

I didn't even know we have PP up in Canada lol.
that's the problem, people in Canada are not aware about the pun in the title of "Unplanned"
But that should be an excuse or a defence. Planned Parenthood is a US thing, yeah but just because Canada doesn't have PP, it should be an excuse for "BOTH SIDES" to let this movie slide "Unplanned"

and I disagree with you, the movie is clear propaganda as a package a docu-film but is full of falsehoods and fakery

a fetus clinging to the walls with their hands? co'mon

Last edited:

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
both Cineplex and Guzzo are fuckin' morons

fuck Vince Guzzo, he's been getting ripped to shreds across radio stations
---

Radio clip available in link where Vincent Guzzo yells and mansplain at Geneviève Pettersen about "Unplanned" v v v

Mélanie Joly reacts to Vince Guzzo, Unplanned after his tantrum

Guzzo is doing it to help Scheer. He pretty much said he would do anything to help the CPC win back in April. Pretty funny that he would use 5 screens to show a movie no one wants to watch while he's always complaining he has to show QC movies that no one wants to see.

You know it's propaganda and trash when Mike Pence likes it.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
If it was a movie about someone getting pregnant and then deciding not to get an abortion, that's one thing. I don't think Juno is a bad film (well, I don't like it, lol, but it's not preachy about her keeping the baby).

But Unplanned is a clear propaganda BS film trying to sell itself as a "true" story (ie. this is totally totally what happens during an abortion), and the film's social media accounts insert themselves into the political sphere. It's trash.

Hope it has a short life and gets the fuck out. :/

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else get an email from the CRA saying that they're direct deposit has been changed? I logged into the CRA website and sure enough my direct deposit has been "Stopped", not changed to some other bank account thankfully. I had it set to a motusbank chequing account and was able to set it back.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else get an email from the CRA saying that they're direct deposit has been changed? I logged into the CRA website and sure enough my direct deposit has been "Stopped", not changed to some other bank account thankfully. I had it set to a motusbank chequing account and was able to set it back.

Nope. Got a mail from Ontario about trillium benefits but not that. Wonder if that has anything to do with the Desjardin incident.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Not me. I got my OTB this month without changing my direct deposit.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Still following the UofT subreddit for some reason and it's both sad and hilarious watching people brag about not paying incidental fees for certain clubs/societies.

The Ford government just created the next generation of "got mine Conservatives".

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a "Who is Q?" QAnon sticker on a transformer in Mississauga today.

Fuck this shit spreading around here.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada

Without knowing the sample size, it will be hard to tell. If they polled 1500 people and 1 or 2% declared as non-binary and then a third of them declared for cpc maybe they were trolls? Three or four answers could seriously skew the result.

edit: someone already did the math, above.

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
Look at that polling.
Alberta is really just the worst.

I'm not sure if I should be surprised that the PPC isn't doing better in Alberta?

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I saw a "Who is Q?" QAnon sticker on a transformer in Mississauga today.

Fuck this shit spreading around here.

Coupe weeks ago I saw a window sticker of a black of and white Canadian flag with a blue line through it. I have literally never in my life been agape with shock. Almost threw up in my mouth. Never thought it would see that (I'm in Ontario)

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda interesting to see who is running for the NDP in Vancouver Granville against Jody Wilson Raybould and (whoever is running for the Liberals).

A young poli-sci major climate activist seems like a good candidate to attract those that do not agree with the Liberal pipeline stance. JWR seems very popular so I think it'll be a big challenge for anyone to unseat her, but perhaps if there is some remarkable perfect JWR/Liberal/Conservative vote split she could find herself elected.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Started by Russians or something?

#ScheetDesperation started to trend as well. The whole affair is just lame.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Nanos has Liberals leading by 6 points compared to CPC while Angus Reid has CPC leading by 8 points but Liberals are gaining in their poll as well.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how Angus Reid does their poll (and since they're the one poll that always skew so high for the conservatives, I don't really care), but keep in mind the Nanos poll is a 4-week rolling average, and not a simple snapshot of the polling week. So it's more resistant to sudden changes, and shows more gradual trends. In fact, if something does change suddenly in a Nanos poll, it may represent it having changed even more sharply during that week.

I also feel like the big poll will be the one a week after the writ drops and election advertising officially begins.

Yah. Pretty much loud and clear from the latest polling. Ford's stink is gonna save this country.

If the Greens ended up with almost a quarter of the vote in BC, that would likely generate a few more seats for them there (I still don't get why JWR isn't running for re-election as a Green; I mean, I think she'll win as an independent, but being in a party would make her actual time in Parliament more effective).

Deleted member 12950

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Federal Greens taking the "Tories, with bikes" thing way too seriously:

I guess at least it looks like they don't have Men's Rights Activists nonsense in their platform this time.

Last edited:

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Federal Greens taking the "Tories, with bikes" thing way too seriously:

Comparing what is essentially a UBI under a different name with anything Ford is doing is... an interesting take, considering he killed a UBI pilot program in Ontario AND killed needs-assessment healthcare programs.

EDIT: Also consider the source, a guy who posts on Twitter that he can't fathom why cost of living is a top concern for Canadians because inflation is static, as though inflation is the only consideration, and had to be set straight by non-economists.

Last edited:

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the reasons why I've soured on UBI proposals. It sounds nice to give a flat cheque, but those programs offer a lot of services that can't be replicated by cash alone.

I'm often reminded that we already do have many guaranteed income programs here in Canada -- OAS being one of them -- but it's often inadequate as to the level of services that underprivileged seniors actually need. Same with AISH here in Alberta -- and the lack of associated services. The cash needs to be paired with local, personalized services. It's not an either-or.

Comparing what is essentially a UBI under a different name with anything Ford is doing is... an interesting take.

It certainly follows a lot of the rhetoric out there, so it's certainly not a far-fetched thing for governments to cancel disability/poverty programs in favor of handing out cheques.

Deleted member 12950

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Comparing what is essentially a UBI under a different name with anything Ford is doing is... an interesting take, considering he killed a UBI pilot program in Ontario AND killed needs-assessment healthcare programs.

How is taking money given out based on the needs of people and giving it, at least in part, to all regardless of ability not like the Ford autism plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.