• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

There's a possibility that a former Commonwealth Prime Minister is entangled in the Epstein scandal and the name will possibly be made public when some documents from a 2014 proceeding are unsealed for public consumption.

If it turns out to be Harper, I'm ready to pop the champagne and celebrate the Tories' inevitable failure at the polls. Surviving Ford is hard enough for them, but Harper is still the most prominent face of the CPC.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

There's a possibility that a former Commonwealth Prime Minister is entangled in the Epstein scandal and the name will possibly be made public when some documents from a 2014 proceeding are unsealed for public consumption.

If it turns out to be Harper, I'm ready to pop the champagne and celebrate the Tories' inevitable failure at the polls. Surviving Ford is hard enough for them, but Harper is still the most prominent face of the CPC.
I'm going to assume a UK or AUS PM because it just feels like Harper or any of the Canadian alternatives are too dull to be caught up in that.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017

I'd be fucking thrilled if such radioactive shit can be connected to Harper, but I HIGHLY doubt it's him.

I suspect it's Tony Blair. Blair is way more well known than Harper can ever dream of being.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm going to assume a UK or AUS PM because it just feels like Harper or any of the Canadian alternatives are too dull to be caught up in that.
We don't have long to find out, either way.
Considering he attended some weird Druidic men's club for the wealthy and elite, I wouldn't say it's beyond him on the basis of his banality.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd be fucking thrilled if such radioactive shit can be connected to Harper, but I HIGHLY doubt it's him.

I suspect it's Tony Blair. Blair is way more well known than Harper can ever dream of being.

Yeah my gut feeling said Blair too, dude's slimier than than the Canadian conservatives of the Harper variety. Palled around with Murdoch too.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Liberals back in "who else are you going to choose/natural governing party" mode. lol

Something that someone posted elsewhere on another forum that really resonated for me was that the Liberals and Conservatives basically endlessly play the Canadian public like a 'good cop/bad cop' routine.

"Voters if you know what's good for you you better stick with me because that other guy, look at him! Boy he's gonna be a lot worse for you than me I'll tell ya!"

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Something that someone posted elsewhere on another forum that really resonated for me was that the Liberals and Conservatives basically endlessly play the Canadian public like a 'good cop/bad cop' routine.

"Voters if you know what's good for you you better stick with me because that other guy, look at him! Boy he's gonna be a lot worse for you than me I'll tell ya!"
Except one party is actually generally good, while the other is always bad.

There is no universe in which the Liberals and Conservatives can be equated.

Deleted member 3968

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he's saying they're both the same, just that they are both happy to benefit from the avg voters inclination to flip flop between them every other election.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

The rhetoric is basically the same, even if the narratives are different (Scheer is evil vs Trudeau is evil). It's just which side of the coin you happen to fall under that determines which narrative you buy into.

Oct 27, 2017
lol, there's no way that's Harper, it's gonna be a UK PM

That's just what every incumbent does though

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
One more

The article name drops Blair as an acquaintance so my money is on him.

No way it's harper.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Aussie PM Tony Abbott is also a strong possibility, given how much of a total dirtbag he was.
But yeah, I'm waiting to see. The timeline to appeal the court decision to unseal the documents has passed, so we're not far off from knowing for sure.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
K, my chips would be on:

Canada - Harper
UK - Blair ( or that one that fucked the pig)
Aus- Abbott.

I'm so checked out in this scandal though, i don't know what the specifics are.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
K, my chips would be on:

Canada - Harper
UK - Blair ( or that one that fucked the pig)
Aus- Abbott.

I'm so checked out in this scandal though, i don't know what the specifics are.
It's very much what it says on the tin: Jeffrey Epstein was indicted for sex trafficking, for specifically rounding up and paying underage girls for sex for himself and his associates.

The specifics about the case just make it even more gross beyond that, like him owning a plane he calls the "Lolita Express", that the FBI and state police in Florida have been trying to pin charges on him for the past 2 decades, and information on who some of those associates might be.
The primary reason it made the news so aggressively is that one of those associates is Donald Trump, who spoke favourably of Epstein while also alluding to the fact that Epstein was engaged in child sex trafficking in an interview from nearly a decade ago.

Whoever it might be, their reputation will never ever recover.

Last edited:
I have very low regard for Stephen Harper, but I would be astonished if he was involved in anything like this. He comes across as somebody with very little interest in sex; but for the fact that he has two children, one might question whether he had had any at all.

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
This was literally posted yesterday.

As with all polling there will be ebbs and flows. Plus Scheer takin on Health Canada and the food guide has been in the news lately. It's the summer. I wouldn't worry about these things right now.

One more thing, here's a Calgarian giving her best take. Totally forgetting that Ontario is more than just the toronto suburbs.

With how low some polls are showing the CPC polling in Ontario currently they would be lucky to form government at this point. The CPC can't form government if some seat models are showing them struggling to keep marginal seats in Ontario at the moment in the worst case scenario like Ekos's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have very low regard for Stephen Harper, but I would be astonished if he was involved in anything like this. He comes across as somebody with very little interest in sex; but for the fact that he has two children, one might question whether he had had any at all.
It wouldn't be the first questionable acquaintance involving Harper: Stephen Harper's former bandmate jailed over sex charges
A former elementary school teacher who once played drums in Stephen Harper's occasional rock band has been sentenced to two years in jail on sexual exploitation charges.
Phillip Nolan pleaded guilty in October to two counts of sexual interference involving a 13-year-old girl.
Police said the incidents dated back to 1990 and 2000.
In February 2014, Nolan was charged with five counts each of sexual assault, sexual interference and sexual exploitation of a minor.
Nolan was a music teacher who taught Grade 7 and Grade 8 students.
That said I don't see much benefit in speculating about who this is.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But Andrew Scheer and the Conservatives told me it was impossible to drink liquids out of boxes?!? /s

He just lost Ontario with this anti-bag stunt.

If it has to be a Canadian PM, why not Paul Martin? (inb4 "well-known" jokes)

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
my gut tells me it's Blair.

But fuck me would I grin my face off if it were Harper. Good lord.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Well, look at the bridges he's building:

Inspiring stuff. Makes you think.

Seriously though, that's the best ex-politician the chinese gov could buy to shill for them? Sad.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
I don't normally really pay attention to polls outside of the campaign period but this one was notable because 1) Research Co is new and 2) There was some interesting stuff about people's opinions of leaders and what is important to them.

Poll finds voters in no mood for a majority federal government

There are currently five answers that reach double digits when Canadians are asked what the most important issue facing Canada today is: the economy and jobs (19%), health care (also 19%), the environment (16%), housing, homelessness and poverty (13%) and immigration (11%).

Atlantic Canadians are more likely to point to health care as a concern (32%), Albertans to the economy (35%), Quebecers to the environment (23%) and British Columbians to housing, homelessness and poverty (24%). In Ontario, the race focuses on health care (24%) and the economy and jobs (20%).

When voters are asked to select what will define their vote in the federal election, a similar narrative emerges. One in four Canadians aged 55 and over (25%) and one-third of Atlantic Canadians (34%) say health care will be their main policy decider. Housing is the key platform plank for voters aged 18 to 34 (14%) and British Columbians (20%).

This state of affairs brings challenges for all participants. The approval rating for Justin Trudeau stands at 41% across Canada and tops that in two provinces that matter greatly: Quebec (48%) and British Columbia (43%).

The national approval rating is five points lower (36%) for Andrew Scheer. The Conservative leader does well in the Tory strongholds of Alberta (54%) and Saskatchewan and Manitoba (44%), but his numbers in the two most populous provinces are not fantastic right now: 34% in Ontario and 33% in Quebec.

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh holds similar numbers to Scheer (35%) but remains a mystery for 23% of Canadians. Singh's complications are primarily generational. He goes from an approval high of 46% among Canadians aged 18 to 34 to 27% among those aged 55 and over. While 46% of millennials currently approve of Singh, only 17% of them are willing to give the NDP their vote right now.

That last bolded point perhaps showing that millennials still have "Anybody but Conservative" on their mind carrying over into this election perhaps? "Yeah Singh seems really good, but not gonna vote for him."

Deleted member 3968

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised Justin is that high in BC. Maybe things will work out this fall after all.

And Day is an idiot and a creationist and shouldn't be allowed to hold office.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Watching Corner Gas animated because I'm secretly a 50 year old white man and saw this:
iyTMjkN.jpg

LJLV7pz.jpg

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is Letterkenny actually any good?
... sort of? When it's good, it's REALLY good. And when it's not, it's REALLY not. It's a very inconsistently funny show. I usually play it in the background and wait for an episode that hits the high notes to start paying attention and then drown out the rest. I'd say the hit-to-miss ratio plays in its favour though.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So the election date may be changed because it falls on a Jewish holiday

Way to go Harper :p
I kinda understand the intention of fixed election dates, but since this is a Harper government action, I am wary of the hidden narrative to all of it. I think that, even beyond the Jewish holiday incident, the date that was chosen is politically advantageous to them somehow. My guess would be cold weather suppressing progressive turnout and calling a summer election date to mitigate it would anger half the country on vacation?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a clip too of the actual cameo lol

I completely forgot this existed. What's your rating on it?
It's less relatable and more absurdist than the original show was. YMMV based on what it is you liked about the original.
It makes you rethink the original show, no question. I now retrospectively see the OG Corner Gas as a cutaway-rich PG precursor to Letterkenny.
Yeah it's, well, more cartoonish. The overall tone is still there, but now that you mention it, I can see that connection to Letterkenny now. Letterkenny for dads I guess. lol
The actress they have for Emma sounds quite good too, which is nice. That's probably just hard shoes to fill.

Oh the other thing with going to a cartoon means the background is suddenly a lot more diverse. It's kind of hilarious that there's suddenly an Asian family in the town now.

Is Letterkenny actually any good?
I find it interesting as someone who thinks any place outside of Toronto is a foreign country. So I'm treating it like a British show.

I guess if you want to read it politically, since we're in the politics thread, the interesting thing about it is that it's like... progressively regressive. Like it celebrates and also mocks toxic Canadian masculinity, particularly when they introduced the gay version of the "hockey bros", and sexuality in general is just taken for granted. And it sort of just goes on and on, with things like getting into conflicts with the rez, or people from Quebec, drug use/abuse, and so on. It's like an odd part of Canadiana that, as someone who has never watched Trailer Park Boys, I find both refreshing and disturbing at the same time.

Like there's a whole episode devoted to the main character being worried that his dog might be gay. But it's more about internalized homophobia endemic to Canadian bro culture rather than some form of explicit homophobia.

It's probably the most critical Canadian show on the air right now that I can think of, at least, even if it also simultaneously celebrates the aspect of Canadiana it is trying to mock.

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda understand the intention of fixed election dates, but since this is a Harper government action, I am wary of the hidden narrative to all of it. I think that, even beyond the Jewish holiday incident, the date that was chosen is politically advantageous to them somehow. My guess would be cold weather suppressing progressive turnout and calling a summer election date to mitigate it would anger half the country on vacation?

Spring or Fall is what I'd want but you can't have it in April or September without it running into some pretty important Jewish holidays every few years and I don't know if having more advanced voting days really solves the problem so October it is....just maybe move it a week back or ahead when it coincides with a religious holiday

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
There are so very few Jews in Canada - in the whole world, actually.

Why the heck are they given so much consideration???

There's many times more people of Chinese descent in Canada, but I don't hear anyone saying anything about avoiding Chinese New Year...

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

There's many times more people of Chinese descent in Canada, but I don't hear anyone saying anything about avoiding Chinese New Year...
Because when you want to stand up for minority rights, you can't just center that around the ones with the greatest numbers.
Also, unless I'm wrong, observing Buddhists are permitted to engage in the act of voting during the Lunar New Year, so you've presented a false equivalence.

Oct 25, 2017

Because the "very few Jews" are concentrated in a few ridings that may have a pretty significant drop in turnout

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Because when you want to stand up for minority rights, you can't just center that around the ones with the greatest numbers.
Also, unless I'm wrong, observing Buddhists are permitted to engage in the act of voting during the Lunar New Year, so you've presented a false equivalence.

Yep. Many Jewish holidays do not permit them to work (or vote). Not a lot of people understand Jewish holidays at all.

For reference: https://www.chabad.org/holidays/default_cdo/jewish/holidays.htm

And yes, the majority (if not all) of Chinese/Asian holidays don't have that requirement -- including folk, Buddhist, etc.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yep. Many Jewish holidays do not permit them to work (or vote). Not a lot of people understand Jewish holidays at all.

For reference: https://www.chabad.org/holidays/default_cdo/jewish/holidays.htm

And yes, the majority (if not all) of Chinese/Asian holidays don't have that requirement -- including folk, Buddhist, etc.
A lot of it comes from those from atheist, agnostic or non-practicing Christian households who don't seemingly understand that the reason Christian holidays are statutory is that you aren't meant to work on holy days in the Christian calendar and that has been baked into our prominently Christian culture. To them, it's just a day that you're meant to ideally (but not necessarily) spend with family, an explanation passed down from their parents, and that is why we get the day off.
It's a great example of privilege from a non-racial, non-heteronormative and non-gender perspective: taking the Christian-centric framing of society so much for granted that having the same consideration for other religious backgrounds is seen as preferential treatment.

Last edited:

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of it comes from those from atheist, agnostic or non-practicing Christian households who don't seemingly understand that the reason Christian holidays are statutory is that you aren't meant to work on holy days in the Christian calendar and that has been baked into our prominently Christian culture. To them, it's just a day that you're meant to ideally (but not necessarily) spend with family, an explanation passed down from their parents, and that is why we get the day off.
It's a great example of privilege from a non-racial, non-heteronormative and non-gender perspective: taking the Christian-centric framing of society so much for granted that having the same consideration for other religious backgrounds is seen as preferential treatment.

Blue laws, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.