• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Thought this clip was interesting because of the contrast in how Rep Ilhan Omar handled a racist question versus how Jagmeet Singh has.

If you recall, Singh's mushy responses to Terry Milewski's similar questioning on whether Singh would offer to denounce some action by some other Sikh created a whole news cycle allowing the Canadian media to harass him about whether or not Singh supported Sikh terrorism.

TL;DR Ilhan Omar is a way way better speaker and politician than Jagmeet Singh

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Thought this clip was interesting because of the contrast in how Rep Ilhan Omar handled a racist question versus how Jagmeet Singh has.

If you recall, Singh's mushy responses to Terry Milewski's similar questioning on whether Singh would offer to denounce some action by some other Sikh created a whole news cycle allowing the Canadian media to harass him about whether or not Singh supported Sikh terrorism.

TL;DR Ilhan Omar is a way way better speaker and politician than Jagmeet Singh

I think there's a couple of issues where it doesn't work.

a) Omar will never be a national politician so she can afford to alienate the Trump-base by challenging their racism. Singh doesn't have that luxury. On the same note, I don't think any party has the same stance as Omar on Israel, for example. Maybe the NDP but I don't think they go around talking about Israeli Apartheid in the West Bank.

b) Canadians like to think of themselves as "beyond racism" so I bet you that if Singh had called out that questioning, he would be called un-Canadian and not supporting multiculturalism.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown

Wapass, the former chief of Saskatchewan's Thunderchild First Nation, is proposing ownership of at least 51 per cent of the federal government-owned pipeline be shared among all participating Indigenous communities in B.C., Alberta and Saskatchewan.
The group would put 80 per cent of the cash flow from the pipeline stake into a "sovereign wealth fund" to invest in environmentally friendly projects.
Its bid is opposed by the Western Indigenous Pipeline Group, which argues Trans Mountain should be owned by communities actually located on the route as they are most at risk from an oil spill.
It should be 100% indigenous owned with 51%+ going to communities on the route and 49%- to other indigenous nations of Canada that want to invest.
This would have multiple positive effects like giving communities on the route complete control and maybe discouraging pressure that might lead to over-development.
Those environmentally friendly projects could go a long way to improving remote communities and creating infrastructure and jobs.

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
I am legit terrified of October. Ford getting elected just showed me how hated POC are outside of the major hubs. We have a lot to work on and the narrative that racism doesn't exist in Canada just serves to further empower these people.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
8hrs after the 'listening tour' article above Project Reconciliation made a $6.9 billion offer for the pipeline.

"This is a pivotal moment for Indigenous peoples. If we get it right, we can build strong, Indigenous economies to give our communities the resources they need to thrive. We look forward to continuing discussions with the government over the coming months."

If negotiations go well and swiftly and the pipeline becomes Indigenous owned before the election and it starts being built right away that could really effect the election in the West. Prompt a lot of green energy economic discussion.
So many benefits this will bring for everyone.
Liberal sweep of Alberta, Saskatchewan, and BC. Yeah, I know that's not going to happen but it might help them quite a bit.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
WTF, there's a taker already? I completely forgot about TMX. Good luck to that group I hope it pans out.

Electorally, the best this would do is a MOE tick in BC. No change in AB or SK. I could be wrong on BC but I feel like AB and SK already made their decision.

Oct 27, 2017
8hrs after the 'listening tour' article above Project Reconciliation made a $6.9 billion offer for the pipeline.

If negotiations go well and swiftly and the pipeline becomes Indigenous owned before the election and it starts being built right away that could really effect the election in the West. Prompt a lot of green energy economic discussion.
So many benefits this will bring for everyone.
Liberal sweep of Alberta, Saskatchewan, and BC. Yeah, I know that's not going to happen but it might help them quite a bit.

You underestimate racism in the west. Instead of being good news, it will be twisted into Trudeau favoring Indigenous people over "regular" Canadian oil companies. Just another handout, it will be said. I live in SK, I know how people here think.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Maybe. There could be real substantial benefits which could sway many peoples minds when carefully explained.
Having an Indigenous energy consortium with the goal of using the profits to transition to green energy development owning the pipeline is an incredible opportunity for everyone.
First, there is the direct benefit of the pipeline to AB's economy. That's just the start. The money Project Reconcilliation would be investing in green development would be creating jobs across a lot of sectors and areas as it gets up and running.
It could also help a lot with encouraging the rest of the nation to move to green economy and energy ideas as the industry workforce and technology is developed in various regions.
It might not change many votes. At best I'd say it could help the Liberals keep a few seats in the interior of BC and maybe push a couple their way. Vancouver and the Island though, yeah, lol.
I'd like part of the negotiations to include a directive to develop Kitimat to divert other shipping and reduce traffic in Juan de Fuca Strait. Maybe a slight reduction in pipeline output too to reduce tanker traffic a little bit.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
You underestimate racism in the west. Instead of being good news, it will be twisted into Trudeau favoring Indigenous people over "regular" Canadian oil companies. Just another handout, it will be said. I live in SK, I know how people here think.
Yeah, there will be some entrenched racism, unfortunately. The pipeline being developed, no matter who owns it, at least lets the bitumen and whatever else flow and will help the AB region. That should be the main focus and make it acceptable for anyone that is reachable, pragmatic and not a racist.
Not sure of the funding structure. The handout thing makes me laugh. I think car companies get government loan write offs in that range. Not that that is a good thing. I believe they have their own means of funding. It'll be interesting to see what the final deal is.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't doubt that is the case, since I'm regularly surrounded by the kind of people you allude to, but their provincial conservative leaders will snap their fingers and say it's great news that ensures the pipeline's construction will move forward and they'll grumble for a while, hold their nose and accept that it's best to have the pipeline issue resolved in a way that resolves Indigenous concerns, relegating their racism to some twisted form of jealousy at Indigenous prosperity, but not directed in such a way that it torpedoes the first real chance of resolving the situation.

Last edited:

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Just stumbled on this. Pretty funny stuff. I wonder if the guy inside Bonhomme Carnaval is Doug Ford now...

andrew-scheer-carnaval-quebec.jpg

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I am legit terrified of October. Ford getting elected just showed me how hated POC are outside of the major hubs. We have a lot to work on and the narrative that racism doesn't exist in Canada just serves to further empower these people.

Hmm, I's say racism really didn't have anything to do with Ford's win.

Anecdotal of course, but as I was campaigning for the NDP there was no real distinction in race in the GTA among those who supported the PCs and those who supported other parties. My family is Muslim, and we voted NDP cuz we poor but our well-off extended family all voted Cons. The Sex-Ed thing was huge in rallying the conservative-minded immigrants against the Liberals.

And in general, Ford Nation has historically had a healthy population of PoC, many even working class.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
So in this latest report. Chris Alexander charges that Russia was actively using a disinformation campaign towards Canada so Harper would lose.

Some people in the intelligence community disputes that...

It is a lengthy article that so far summarizes recent events but adds a Canadian twist. The article goes out of the way to say that the Russian government were not colluding with the liberals party, just making Harper lose.

I'm honestly skeptical of anything Alexander says and so far side with Carvin.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Not politics related, but I'll be in Vancouver -- staying in Richmond -- for a few days in August. Any suggestions on what to see? I'm pretty much Skytraining/bussing everywhere.

And yes, Steveston Harbour is already on the list.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Not politics related, but I'll be in Vancouver -- staying in Richmond -- for a few days in August. Any suggestions on what to see? I'm pretty much Skytraining/bussing everywhere.

There's the Richmond Night Market that's going on right now. And there's an outlet mall at MacArthur Glen on the way to the airport.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017

Promote Mathieu Bock-Côté
Shit on the media
Celebrate nationalism
All in the same tweet! That's gonna help with the Trump comparisons.

In other Quebec news, the old lady who's suing Trudeau for defamation after he insinuated that she was racist during a townhall took part of the "vague bleue" rally this weekend and during the speech, said that "Quebecois have many enemies, like muslims, jews, anglos, sikhs and the federal government." Good luck with that lawsuit!

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017

If you like cats Richmond has one of the largest cat sanctuaries in NA and it is open to the public on weekends. http://catsanctuary.ca

Otherwise the Canada Line will briskly take you to parts to Vancouver, so there's lots of things along there that are pretty accessible. Probably the best stops for tourists would be Olympic Village for its adjacency to False Creek and breweries along Main and Waterfront for its accessibility to good Gastown shopping and restaurants.

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017

Welcome to my hometown SRG01 :) I used to live about a 10 minute walk from Steveston Village. Make sure you hit up the whole village area and not just the harbor area. I don't know how into museum-type stuff you are but the Britannia Shipyards and Gulf of Georgia Cannery are right there (national historic sites) as well as Garry Point Park which has a lovely seaside trail and a Japanese garden.

You've only got a couple days it sounds like so there's a lot of decisions to be made about what to see in the limited time.

I concur with Tiktaalik about the stops on the Canada Line. If you're a beer fan I can recommend stopping at Craft Beer Market in Olympic Village.
I feel like it's required to do at least a little bit of touristing in Stanley Park so you should hit that up.

And yeah, it's quite nice to walk through Gastown. You can be one of those tourists who takes a picture with the Steam Clock (not actually powered by steam).

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Doug Ford stanning for a winery who recently donated to the OPC:

Love it. Go out and buy a bottle of Pelee Island wine — it's great, it's coming to a convenience store close to you," Ford said Sunday with local Tory MPP Rick Nicholls (Chatham-Kent-Leamington).

The premier, who does not drink alcohol, was referring to the government's hope to eventually expand wine and beer sales to corner stores beyond existing LCBO outlets, private wine shops, the Beer Store and many supermarkets.

But Ford's boosterism led his detractors to rev up a boycott campaign against Pelee Island Winery after it emerged company president Walter Schmoranz had recently donated an additional $1,000 to the Tories, exceeding the $1,600 annual contribution limit.

Spending that vacation wisely.

We got #BoycottPeleeWinery trending today though lol.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada

Six in ten Canadians want the government to take action to address climate change, even if the economy suffers.

That number was even higher in Quebec (76.8 per cent), Atlantic Canada (67.3) and B.C. (62), and among women (66.1), 18-35 year olds (64.4) and those aged 65 or older (64).

Conversely, residents of Ontario (59 per cent), men (56), and those aged between 35-49 (59.6) and 50-64 (57.1) were less willing to agree with the statement, though the statement was still approved by a majority in these demographic bands. More residents of the Prairies (46.5 per cent) agreed with the statement than disagreed (43.6), though it wasn't quite a majority, with the not sure option chosen by 9.8 per cent of respondents.

Only in Alberta did more respondents disagree (59 per cent) with the statement than agree (36.5).

Finally, 76.5 per cent of respondents agreed with the statement that scientific evidence "clearly shows" climate change is real and caused by human activity, including 62.7 per cent of Alberta residents and 86.4 per cent of Quebecers.

Nationally, 18 per cent disagreed with the statement, while 5.6 were not sure.

Also, just under 68 per cent of respondents agreed that theres's a collective moral duty to future generations to not destroy the environment further, even if it means paying more taxes in the short term. As with the other responses, support was highest in Quebec (70.2 per cent), above the national average in B.C. (71.5) and Ontario (69.9), and lowest in Alberta (53).

I am surprised that 65+ years old people are willing to let economy tank because of climate change. On the other hand, Gen X and early Boomers in Ontario and Alberta stay ignorant and trash.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've been wondering when it would be revealed there's some kind of financial reason for his weird obsession with alcohol.
I mean, we're talking about a hash dealer who enabled and was ultimately responsible for his brothers death. Someone who screwed his brothers family out of their inhertitance. A man who protected his brother when he was found guilty of drinking and driving and attacked a council which was punishing him for it.

Reason has absolutely no meaning with this scumbag. Make no mistake, he's a manipulator. He was going to do this anyways, because as every good drug dealer knows, the first hit is always free. Of course, the money was a nice bonus.

Last edited:

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm lets see how things are going in the arctic this summer...

Wildfires in the Arctic last month emitted as much carbon dioxide (CO2) as all of Sweden does in a year, according to the World Meteorological Organization.

At a regular United Nations briefing in Geneva on July 12, WMO spokesperson Clare Nullis said the wildfires in the Arctic since the start of June are "unprecedented."

"In June alone, these wildfires emitted 50 megatonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere," Nullis said. "This is the equivalent of Sweden's annual total CO2 emissions. This is more than was released by Arctic fires in the same month between 2010 and 2018 combined."

While wildfires are common in the northern hemisphere between the months of May and October, the Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service (CAMS), which has been tracking the fires, says the latitude and intensity of the fires, as well as the length of time they have been burning, have been particularly "unusual."

"It is unusual to see fires of this scale at such high latitudes in June," CAMS senior scientist and wildfires expert Mark Parrington said in a press release. "But temperatures in the Arctic have been increasing at a much faster rate than the global average, and warmer conditions encourage fires to grow and persist once they have been ignited.

Last week's record-breaking heat wave in Europe has shifted north to the Arctic. Now, a "heat dome" is threatening the second-largest ice sheet on the planet. Meteorologist Eric Holthaus said on Twitter that the heat over Greenland this week could result in the loss of 40 billion tons of ice, enough to measurably raise global sea levels.

"We are in a climate emergency," Holthaus tweeted on Monday. Another climate researcher, Xavier Fettweis, said this week's potential melt is what worst-case scenario climate models have projected for 2050, reaffirming what many scientists are finding: that we're closer to the catastrophic predictions for climate change than previously thought.
This week's Arctic heat wave will likely result in the second-largest melting of the ice sheet since 1950 (when record-keeping began)

But yeah we can definitely keep developing our oil sands everything is fine guys.

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
Statistics are weird in that it always reveals some very strange people.

Who are the 4% of NDP supporters that have a positive view of Trump? It doesn't make any sense! I can only imagine what kind of strange world view such a person would have.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Who are the 4% of NDP supporters that have a positive view of Trump? It doesn't make any sense! I can only imagine what kind of strange world view such a person would have.

I know of one such person myself. Can't say if this perspective applies to everyone, but this individual believes Trump is the one who really cares about working people in comparison to Democrat establishment. Expectedly, in 2016, he supported Bernie before going over to Trump.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

A Saskatchewan People's Party of Canada (PPC) candidate is defending comments in support of the use of "hate speech" he made recently on social media.

Some groups say they fear the comments could incite violence.

"Our country could use more hate speech, more offensive comments, more 'micro-aggressions', more violation of safe spaces with words and more critical thinking," Cody Payant wrote on his Facebook page and Twitter account on July 16

An administrator for the Yellow Vests Canada Exposed said the group saw Payant's post as encouraging violence.

The Canadian Anti-Hate Network agreed.

"It is a threat of sorts," said Evan Balgord, the network's executive director.

The comments hardly came as a surprise, Balgord added.

"It is a fairly common argument, actually, pushed by often right-wing extremists," Balgord said. "Their conception is if you don't let me say my hateful things then, oh, I won't do it, but maybe some people I know or those other more crazy people, if you silence them, then they're going to get violent

Fascist party says fascist things.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

My take is that it comes from the Obama-Trump voters of the political spectrum the Canadian kind. Big tent parties are not homogenous and even Liberal/NDP voters will vote stupid if given the option. Labour union members first spring to mind.

The scary bit is not the 4%. The scary bit is the ones who won't admit to it until it's too late.

CPC making sure the christian vote is locked down.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
My take is that it comes from the Obama-Trump voters of the political spectrum the Canadian kind. Big tent parties are not homogenous and even Liberal/NDP voters will vote stupid if given the option. Labour union members first spring to mind.

The scary bit is not the 4%. The scary bit is the ones who won't admit to it until it's too late.

CPC making sure the christian vote is locked down.

Trying to try those evangelicals and make us America 2

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017

lmao 'place that never melts'. Are there even gonna be any animals left to protect in this refuge after climate change has run its course? What a fucking joke.

Real action to protect the arctic would involve a massive program to cut CO2 emissions, not oil sands expansion and a promise not to raise the carbon tax.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
I can't wait to ride from Google's Union Station to Coca Cola Rutherford GO Station.

Ontario is considering the sale of naming rights for GO Transit stations, parking lots and even washrooms in a bid to find new revenue sources for its regional transit network in the Greater Toronto Area.

The agreements – which could range between five and 10 years – would also provide sponsors with ridership data, although Mulroney noted that it would be stripped of personally identifying information.

Or use washroom powered by Amazon Web Services while giving my data to Jeff Bezos.

Status
Not open for further replies.