• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone making a big deal out of Butts forgetting that Hamish gets a pass.

I was working magazines in a grocery store in 2015/2016 and Maclean's was doing some atrocious caping for Trump. I have a vivid recollection of them talking about him having his finger on the pulse while quoting some "real American" about how the country was no longer for the Christian white man. It was gross directly on its face.

Fuck that rag.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Macleans is known for stunts like that. No one remembers their Conservative "resistance" frontpage?

JdeM was reporting that the CPC is using the a phone App from uCampaign Social Media LLC that Conservatives are using all around the world. It's notably used by the Republicans party, the NRA and Trump. It was alsoused in Australia during the last election to win and is consistently used by Anti Abortion and Anti LGBT groups to connect with their base and also steal their personal information.

That a Rebel Media founder is also a campaign manager isn't surprising at this point. Poor Bernier would dream of support like that.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the vast majority of publications in Canada has some sort of conservative connection. No one has forgotten abut the "resistance.", between that and Jen Gerson's "Relax Doug Ford will be fine" opinion pieces in Canada is pure trash. Don't get me started on the Sun.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the vast majority of publications in Canada has some sort of conservative connection. No one has forgotten abut the "resistance.", between that and Jen Gerson's "Relax Doug Ford will be fine" opinion pieces in Canada is pure trash. Don't get me started on the Sun.

Yikes, Gerson wrote that? I only know her from OPPO and she comes across as a fairly reasonable as far as conservatives go.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes, Gerson wrote that? I only know her from OPPO and she comes across as a fairly reasonable as far as conservatives go.

That's her, she tries to hide her partisanship but it rears its head now and then.

I remember an OPPO episode when they were supposed to list all the crappy things for the federal leaders, she and no problem going through Singh and Trudeau, but Scheer? Let's just skip over him.

I've stopped subbing to OPPO because she's absolutely insufferable.

I mean this is her best take on PNP vis-a-vis Ford-Scheer.

Ontario is more than just a few suburbs around Toronto.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
That's her, she tries to hide her partisanship but it rears its head now and then.

I remember an OPPO episode when they were supposed to list all the crappy things for the federal leaders, she and no problem going through Singh and Trudeau, but Scheer? Let's just skip over him.

I've stopped subbing to OPPO because she's absolutely insufferable.

I mean this is her best take on PNP vis-a-vis Ford-Scheer.

Ontario is more than just a few suburbs around Toronto.

Man, that blows.

As far as good Canadian politics and news podcasts go, what do you listen to?

I've been listening to Canadaland, OPPO, Commons and Eric Grenier's Pollcast. I enjoy Commons a lot and while I find Canadaland and OPPO fairly informative, the hosts on both can definitely rub me the wrong way at times. I'd be interested in hearing what other good Canadian podcasts are out there.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I do listen to Canada Land, occasionally Ling has some good stuff on OPPO.

The Herle Burly is hosted by a Liberal strategist but occasionally brings in NDP and conservative strategist to talk politics and I find their discussions even keeled. David Burly was the guy who called Ford a "dick" but then apologized.

Canada and the World hosted by Bessma Momani focuses on foreign policy and Canada. Although her wheelhouse is middle east relations her topics are broad.

Wag the Doug hosted by Allison Smith (qhueen's park correspondent is good but is Ontario centric).

I also occasionally listen to PnP audio cast if there's an interesting topic.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
"no more medicine" more like it.

The liberals winning a majority would be worth purely for the meltdowns and calls for secession.

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
"no more medicine" more like it.

The liberals winning a majority would be worth purely for the meltdowns and calls for secession.
If they managed to win a super majority(around 220 seats) which I don't think is impossible at this point the meltdowns would be worse than them winning a majority. It would be fun to watch the meltdowns if they form another majority.

They will definitely change their tune if the LPC wins the election and lose the popular vote.
Then hopefully that happens so we can one day get MMPR.
I don't think they would, because while in this hypothetical scenario they'd have the most seats under PR, they'd still be nowhere near a majority and with no prospective coalition partners.

The Tories basically have to take whatever FPTP throws at them, nationally. It's still the best system for them.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still half expecting a minority situation but Ontario is just realizing that Ford was as bad as it was rumoured so Scheer would be no different.

I'm still leaving room for an october surprise, like the media circus of JWR's book release...

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm still half expecting a minority situation but Ontario is just realizing that Ford was as bad as it was rumoured so Scheer would be no different.

I'm still leaving room for an october surprise, like the media circus of JWR's book release...
Seriously if polls start converging to a double digit lead in ontario and quebec for the liberals I don't think they win a minority. The Liberals are also within the margin of error in BC to in a lot of polls now.

Last edited:

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Most of these cuts will come after the election, so nobody will know about their impact

Bingo! Exactly what I was thinking.

Seriously if polls start converging to a double digit lead in ontario and quebec for the liberals I don't think they win a minority. The iberals are also within the margin of error in BC to in a lot of polls now.

Yah, and I'm still surprised Atlantic Canada is still polling Liberal considering the provincial governments have gone the other way. Still, there's so much time for the pendulum to swing the other way.

In other news.

I'm not sure why global news decided to amp a small group in Calgary as a news story.

Pure shenanigans stoking and east vs west mentality. Based on the quotes, I don't see how anyone in Canada would be sympathetic to their plight.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Western separatists are such morons, and Global (Like CTV) continues to be trash. Seems like most of our media here is trash come to think of it.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Because there isn't enough separatism talk.

Ivison is a douchebag as well.

Keep in mind Canada gets to keep Banff.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Great article on how Trudeau and the LPC have handled Trump (which I think they did very well).

If I had any inkling of voting for Scheer it died when he suggested we should roll over for Trump.

Another unforeseen complication during the trade negotiations was Trump's open disdain for Freeland. "We're very unhappy with the negotiations and the negotiating style of Canada," Trump said publicly on Sept. 26, 2018. "We don't like their representative very much."

Wherry reports Trump went much further in private. After the tariffs were imposed, Trudeau and Trump spoke on the phone; Wherry reports Trump called Freeland a "nasty woman" and accused her of talking about him to other world leaders.

Need another reason to love Freeland?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
In other news.

I'm not sure why global news decided to amp a small group in Calgary as a news story.

Pure shenanigans stoking and east vs west mentality. Based on the quotes, I don't see how anyone in Canada would be sympathetic to their plight.

Time to start calling all of them anti-Canadian. They're the enemy of Canada.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017

In the early 90s Conrad Black owned about half the newspapers in the country and created the National Post as an unabashedly conservative paper to push a conservative and Albertan worldview to Toronto/Ontario so uh yeah you're absolutely right.

Conrad Black said:
My associates and I concluded that practically all of western Canada, and the sizeable conservative (whether traditionalist or libertarian) minority in eastern Canada, were practically unrepresented in the national media. Coincidentally, our company, although it owned most of the daily newspapers in Canada, was not represented in its largest city, Toronto.

The Globe and Mail is the other centre right establishment paper (remember their "The Tories Deserve another Mandate" endorsement in 2015?)

So when you look over the media landscape... yep. Not a lot of progressive voices out there. Basically it's just The Tyee and sometimes the Toronto Star.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
In the early 90s Conrad Black owned about half the newspapers in the country and created the National Post as an unabashedly conservative paper to push a conservative and Albertan worldview to Toronto/Ontario so uh yeah you're absolutely right

So the so-called "seperation movement" is rooted in Ontario(Toronto/Ottawa) not sharing the conservative views of Alberta?

Right wing can fuck themselves.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, without even having to go through who is a subsidiary of who. I always defer to the spreadsheet.

media%2Bendorsements.JPG

LIBERAL MEDIA BIAS!

Also, LOL.

Last edited:

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
That chart isn't accurate Québec wise. I suppose the people behind it didn't understand French enough as most of the QC stuff is blank. La Presse was notoriously Liberals under André Pratte op eds until he left to become a liberal senator haha. It's still definitely Liberals for the opinion pieces. Le Devoir has supported Le Bloc a lot in the past. JdeM opinion writers definitely slant CPC and Bloc.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Now I know why they rail against the Toronto Star so much.

Man things aren't looking good on getting a non-CPC suck up media machine.

HA! The funny thing in that whole chart is it basically shows that the Toronto Star Corporation is the least biased media outlet in Canada, with its outlets supporting all parties at one point or another depending on what made sense at the time.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god lol.

:)

Also from that thread lol

It's god damn surreal that diplomacy between 2 economic allies has come to that... Interesting article

The guy is a fucking child.

Trump was pleased with the optics of the G7 last year, an adviser said. Trump says he dominated Trudeau there, the adviser added, and loves the viral photo of himself sitting with his arms crossed as world leaders hover over him. Trump also relished leaving the summit early — snub to Trudeau, who Trump said had treated him with disrespect.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
That chart isn't accurate Québec wise. I suppose the people behind it didn't understand French enough as most of the QC stuff is blank. La Presse was notoriously Liberals under André Pratte op eds until he left to become a liberal senator haha. It's still definitely Liberals for the opinion pieces. Le Devoir has supported Le Bloc a lot in the past. JdeM opinion writers definitely slant CPC and Bloc.

Yeah It'd be mind blowing for La Presse to not have a Liberal bias considering the deep ties between Chretien era Liberals and Power Corp.

Also lol, this McSweeney's parody sure does remind me of the Trudeau Liberal environmental platform.

WE NEED A WIZARD WHO CAN APPEAL TO THE MODERATE ORC VOTER
Destroying the Ring sounds appealing, but it's naïve and simplistic. Much of Mordor's infrastructure was built with the Ring. The building of the Dark Tower of Barad-Dûr and the Black Gate of Udûn employed thousands of trolls, goblins, and Haradrim. What are they supposed to do if it's suddenly dissolved in the fires of Orodruin? Gandalf's plan makes no provision for relocating and retraining thousands of Sauron's minions.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Well this one was written out of jealousy and a subtle threat.

"You better not be stealing the spotlight from me, I've seen how Ivanka looks at you"

Lmao. Yeah, I know. They're long past Trump passing notes in class. He's at crumpling a piece of paper and throwing it at Trudeau and Freeland. Or spitballs.

Yah, and I'm still surprised Atlantic Canada is still polling Liberal considering the provincial governments have gone the other way.
Provincial and federal politics tend to run on their own separate cycles. The Island Liberals losing power was just because they'd had three terms and it was time for something new (and the Island Tories' showing wasn't exactly overwhelming, either).

Freeland is GOAT, I want her as JT's successor.
Freeland is definitely the star of the cabinet.

The Globe and Mail is the other centre right establishment paper (remember their "The Tories Deserve another Mandate" endorsement in 2015?)

So when you look over the media landscape... yep. Not a lot of progressive voices out there. Basically it's just The Tyee and sometimes the Toronto Star.
The Globe is a weird entity from a partisan perspective because in general the ideological content of their editorials, etc. is most strongly aligned with the Liberals. It's definitely not a Scheer-type POV at all. But because of their owner, at election time they endorse the Conservatives, which creates a whiplash effect when they critiqued Harper nonstop for years and then tried to find a way to say vote Tory anyway.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
The other part about the Canadian news media, or any other news media for that matter, is that they like to promote things that gets eyeballs on their stuff -- whether it's something ludicrous like Alberta separation.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. And i feel like they personify the saying "importing American values."

It's almost as if they want an alt right movement taking place in canada so they have something similar to write about. It's an uphill battle dealing with the alt right in canada when nearly all publications are conservative to begin with.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a Canadian version of Chapo or the dirtbag left? I guess there really isn't much of an appetite since we have the illusion of a third party leftist option.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The other part about the Canadian news media, or any other news media for that matter, is that they like to promote things that gets eyeballs on their stuff -- whether it's something ludicrous like Alberta separation.

Media has slowly become clickbait over time.

It's almost as if they want an alt right movement taking place in canada so they have something similar to write about. It's an uphill battle dealing with the alt right in canada when nearly all publications are conservative to begin with

I'd say the CPC do, and the media are just following suit.

Scheer entertaining conspiracy theories.
PP questioning election integrity
Some guy reading Christchurch manifesto in Parliament

All this trash is flowing in from south of the border

Yet you'll hear people complain about the Toronto Star non-stop and never say anything about post media....

Conservatives will never be happy until all media caters to their views.

They're not talking bias, they are referring to bias against them.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After watching The Family on Netflix, I'd be interested in which Canadian cons are invited to and/or attending the National Prayer Breakfast in DC.

The doc is well worth a watch btw. Certainly shines a bit of light on the rise of the global far right.

Status
Not open for further replies.