• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
After watching The Family on Netflix, I'd be interested in which Canadian cons are invited to and/or attending the National Prayer Breakfast in DC.

The doc is well worth a watch btw. Certainly shines a bit of light on the rise of the global far right.

I remember someone went undercover at their retreat and wrote a book on it, I see that he's in this.

As for Canada you only have to look at Harper's government to see the influence of Evangelical beliefs.

This is a disturbing article that covers it:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Well this has to be extremely alarming for the CPC, does anyone really see them gaining popularity during the election period?

I wonder how many "Ontario" groups I'll get texts from =/

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Well this has to be extremely alarming for the CPC, does anyone really see them gaining popularity during the election period

Well if they can ramp up their PostMedia bullshit machine in time for the election.

From the Canadaland article:

Jordan Peterson has been working on a secret project out of the fifth floor of Postmedia's offices

That's the most worrisome bit.

Whatever that idiot has been up to ain't good.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
If the Federal election was shortly after Doug Ford's win Scheer would have a clear majority.

Amusing that Ford is costing them the election when Harper posted with the Ford brothers in a desperate attempt to climb back in the polls.

Oct 27, 2017
Ford has obviously hurt the party, but I think it's also clear that the big summer roll out of Scheer has not worked and the more Canadians see of him the less likely they are to vote for him.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing in Peterson's CV would suggest to me he's got some magic formula that will turn Scheer's numbers around.

Peterson turning the numbers around? Yeah I don't think so.

But Peterson was working on a site to out liberal professors or a "free speech" site that isn't really free speech so I'd guess it's something along those lines neither which is good.

Probably a comment system on Postmedia sites if I had to guess.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
*except in Alberta and the Prairies
Actually, Ford and Kenney have had a small impact on some of the lighter-blue Tories. I know the AB government reporting children to their parents if they join an LGBT school committee or alliance was NOT well received by some in SK.
Moe, and Wall before him, walk a very delicate line of dog whistles, because there are some conservatives here who consider being openly hard-right on social issues to be offensive, not because they don't agree, but saying so in that venue gives their bigotry sunlight and would prefer to keep things "civil". To say nothing of those who know it hurts their electability.

There is this really weird phenomenon of bigots who treat their bigotry as a personal opinion and won't impose that on other people, because it sets a precedent that their lifestyle and beliefs can be infringed upon.

It's super weird, but mildly beneficial come election season.

Last edited:

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Well this has to be extremely alarming for the CPC, does anyone really see them gaining popularity during the election period?

I wonder how many "Ontario" groups I'll get texts from =/

There's not much they can do to turn things around outside of praying Trudeau or the PMO did something else unethical big enough to get enough media coverage like the SNC-Lavalin or Norman's trial.

Scheer cannot win without Ontario and Quebec. Quebec haven't voted conservatives since forever and he wants to force his pipeline over here where a majority is against it (and even the provincial government). AB and QC never liked each others much so it's definitely not going to help.

In Ontario Doug Ford pretty much showed the people the suffering voting conservative can bring so they are definitely going to punish Scheer for it as they don't want an even worse scenario.

Scheer's ideas so far are either ridiculous or have no traction. I'm not going to vote for you because you are angry the Canadian Food Guide no longer include and increasingly expensive product or because you have a 65 pages environment projects filled with doodles and platitudes. He rose really high in the pollswhen the Liberals where caught in their usual unethical schemes and corrupted meddling but months later you need something else to win.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Scheer's ideas so far are either ridiculous or have no traction. I'm not going to vote for you because you are angry the Canadian Food Guide no longer include and increasingly expensive product or because you have a 65 pages environment projects filled with doodles and platitudes. He rose really high in the pollswhen the Liberals where caught in their usual unethical schemes and corrupted meddling but months later you need something else to win

When your party is full of racists and religious fundamentalists it's hard to run a platform of what you actually stand for given how unpopular their ideas are.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
oh hey here we go Manitoba election.

Do we even have any Manitobans that can fill us in on the political situation?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

CBC mentioned that the likely reason he dropped the writ is because the Cons are leading in polls at the moment.
I assume you also want to get in before gambling on the results of the federal election potentially swinging your own chances.

Deleted member 12950

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Well, I'm not dreading this election like the federal one because I don't hate all the party leaders so that's a positive. I can't really speak to stuff outside of Winnipeg though, if it doesn't hit the local section of the Winnipeg Free Press website I don't see it.

The NDP released their platform the other day and I only skimmed through the income tax stuff - their promise to increase the tax rate on the highest earners looks fine enough to me (though it won't raise much money) but increasing the small business exemption is kind of counterproductive if taxing high-income folks is what you want to do. I'm really glad Steve Ashton didn't win the leadership.

Basic income peeps might be interested to hear the Greens are promising a basic income funded by cancelling tax credits, which means that won't raise anywhere near enough revenue to fund a decent basic income. But the Greens are a joke party.

Provincial Liberals are basically like the Alberta Liberals, before Notley led the NDP to victory; pretty much irrelevant. Haven't seen one of their candidates advise voters not to vote Liberal and they're throwing a lot of policy ideas out there so they've improved on last election.

Provincial Tories are of course the incumbent and I'd say they're pretty much Joe Clark-type PCs rather than the Kenney/Ford/CAQ nonsense we're seeing in other provinces. Pallister talked a big game about getting more money in the health accord negotiations with the Feds but of course he had no leverage and ended up having to take what was offered. Reversing on the carbon tax was the same thing but the federal design is better than what the Tories had so that's a win in my book. The dumbest think Pallister's probably done is his super-long vacations in Costa Rica early on in his Premiership (Well, that and getting lost that one time).

The only election-specific stuff I've seen so far from the Tories is Facebook ads highlighting Kinew's domestic abuse past much like Steve and Niki Ashton did during the NDP leadership campaign. Though I guess at least the PCs aren't dragging the victims' name into public against her wishes at every opportunity like the Ashtons did.

Unsurprisingly for a provincial election, healthcare's the big issue. The NDP and PCs are pretty much aligned on fiscal and taxation issues (The NDP has said they aren't going to increase the PST back to 8% again) from what I can see. The Tories converted a few ERs in Winnipeg to urgent care centres but the big problem there is they screwed up the staffing changes that come with that. Healthcare workers have been working a tonne of OT (mind you, the ones I know had OT available to them pretty much anytime they wanted before the changes).

I don't know, I think the Pallister government's been mediocre-to-okay, I think a Kinew government would be mediocre-to-okay, I can't actually name the Liberal leader. To me, at least, the campaign will actually matter to deciding my vote.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I think the Pallister government's been mediocre-to-okay, I think a Kinew government would be mediocre-to-okay, I can't actually name the Liberal leader. To me, at least, the campaign will actually matter to deciding my vote.
I like this is what we've reduced democracy into. lol

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
From one of the replies in the reddit thread:

lol

LOL. I love the sense of humour from us libtards.

Also, this may be american news but...

It wasn't long ago from conservative pundits (like Coyne) that said Canada should have responded in kind (trillion dollar tax cuts) as we're no longer competitive. I'm so glad they were ignored.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't long ago from conservative pundits (like Coyne) that said Canada should have responded in kind (trillion dollar tax cuts) as we're no longer competitive. I'm so glad they were ignored.

Yes let's engage in a race to the bottom with the US. I don't think this idea will ever truly die.

So much for "fiscal responsibility".

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
That is way to heavy handed. That girl is either bat shit crazy or this is some publicity stunt.

Definately crazy.

Const. David Hopkinson confirmed to CityNews that police were called to the square around noon for reports of a person assaulting and spitting at people.

He says officers arrived and took a woman into custody but did not confirm it was the woman seen in the video.

Hopkinson says Talya Davidson 28, from Toronto, will be facing one charge of assault and three charges of assaulting an officer

Her FB page is batshit.

I0M0nqu.png

Seems like someone is off their meds. The right wing crackpots think this is a plant by the Liberals lol.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
We haven't even started the election season proper yet. When was your final prediction last time around (though you were right, I believe)?
I predicted a Justin Trudeau majority during the mid-summer of 2015 while all the Mulcair Thatcherites laughed at me (because the LPC was polling in 3rd in summer 2015)..
---
oh, while I was away,
this post below lacked clarity and needed to be specified that it was for the RIDING with the same name of the city with the same name of the province.:

Geez that NDP drop..

That poll was for the RIDING named Quebec inside Quebec City............ not a POLL of the entire province of Quebec

220px-Qu%C3%A9bec_riding_2013.png

Last edited:

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
oh, while I was away,
this post below lacked clarity and needed to be specified that it was for the RIDING with the same name of the city with the same name of the province.:

That poll was for the RIDING named Quebec inside Quebec City............ not a POLL of the entire province of Quebec

220px-Qu%C3%A9bec_riding_2013.png

Huh. Anglophones will only ever understand "Quebec" to mean the province. You have to do the whole "Quebec City" to be clear you're referring to the city. Whereas it seems in French just "Quebec" can be understood as either the city or the province.

Then doing "Quebec Riding" is some shit. "The Riding of Quebec" would have probably been less ambiguous.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Huh. Anglophones will only ever understand "Quebec" to mean the province. You have to do the whole "Quebec City" to be clear you're referring to the city. Whereas it seems in French just "Quebec" can be understood as either the city or the province.

Then doing "Quebec Riding" is some shit. "The Riding of Quebec" would have probably been less ambiguous.
We use different pronum which make it very clear which is which and are not interchangeable. For example 'à Québec' is the city and 'au Québec' is the province. It's would translated directly 'at Quebec' and 'in Quebec'.
'Je suis à Québec.' mean you are in Quebec city.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
sorry S-Wind, I'm back!

oh! and my final prediction is a Liberal MAJORITY come October 21, 2019

LOL. Nice first post.

We use different pronum which make it very clear which is which and are not interchangeable. For example 'à Québec' is the city and 'au Québec' is the province. It's would translated directly 'at Quebec' and 'in Quebec'.
'Je suis à Québec.' mean you are in Quebec city.

Lol. i'm about to do a french language test to get my letters. THis helps a bit. Been 20 years since i last spoken french.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Not necessarily Canadian politics but has implications in it. And pretty much confirms my suspicions.

thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.