• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Here's that austerity you voted for Alberta. Enjoy!

Alberta needs to take 'bold action' in order to balance provincial budget, review says

Alberta needs to consider drastic spending cuts, including lower wages for public servants, fewer doctors and the closing of hospitals and universities if it wants to bring its budget back to balance, a review commissioned by Premier Jason Kenney has concluded.

The United Conservative government has not accepted the roadmap from the panel on Alberta's finances headed by former Saskatchewan finance minister Janice MacKinnon, and some of its recommendations could be at odds with Mr. Kenney's promises to maintain spending on health and education at current levels.

Finance Minister Travis Toews said the report is guiding his thinking for the government's first budget, expected in late October. However, Ms. MacKinnon said "difficult choices and bold action" are needed to tackle a deficit expected to reach nearly $8-billion this year.

"We found that without bold change, Albertans face a future of rising deficits and debt with more and more tax dollars going to interest rather than programs. Delay will only worsen the problem," she told reporters on Tuesday morning in Calgary as the report was released.

The panel was not permitted to consider whether provincial taxes should be increased to deal with budgetary shortfalls. Alberta has the lowest level of revenue per capita of any province, and does not collect a provincial sales tax. Mr. Kenney's government cut corporate taxes earlier this summer, a move expected to add billions to the province's deficits over the next four years.

"This is a clear case for change," Mr. Toews said Tuesday, as he shared the stage in a government building with Ms. MacKinnon. "We must bring our spending in line with other provinces over time."

Asked why Ms. MacKinnon's panel could not look at tax levels, the Finance Minister said there was no interest in Alberta to increase taxes. "We don't have a revenue problem folks, we have a spending problem," he said.

Ms. MacKinnon agreed and said higher taxes wouldn't solve Alberta's financial problems. "There is no evidence here to support the idea that Alberta is a province that should be raising taxes, not a shred of evidence," Ms. MacKinnon said.

The 82-page report did call on the province to stop depending on windfalls during oil booms to patch up its finances.

The panel said Alberta's expenditures would drop by $10.4-billion annually if the province spent the same amount of money on each of its citizens as the governments of Ontario, British Columbia or Quebec.

University of Calgary economist Trevor Tombe said the panel's numbers are mathematically sound, but the prognosis isn't correct.

"The minister is wrong, we do have a revenue problem," he said. "As much as we like to say Alberta has a spending problem or a revenue problem, we have both problems."

While cutting spending to the level of other provinces would turn Alberta's deficit into a surplus, so would adopting other province's tax levels, he said. Taxing at the same level as B.C., where the economy has consistently outperformed that of its neighbour in recent years, would bring in an additional $11.2-billion annually, Prof. Tombe said.

While the report didn't identify specific cuts, it indicated Mr. Kenney should consider closing some smaller universities and hospitals. Fewer services provided by fewer public servants, hikes to tuition and more private health-care options would help reduce the deficit, Ms. MacKinnon said.

Spending restraint, including reducing Alberta's public sector wages from the highest in Canada to the same as other provinces, could lead to labour strife, said Duane Bratt, a political science professor at Calgary's Mount Royal University.

"It's seems clear that there are going to be legislated wage cuts," he said. "There are references in the document to back-to-work legislation, which tells me that they are anticipating job action. I think they are gearing up for a fight."

Gil McGowan, the president of the Alberta Federation of Labour, warned that the report's recommendations would lead to deep cuts in education and health care. "It is an attack on our public services, our children's education and jeopardizes the future of all working Albertans," he said in a statement.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

TORONTO — A union head who represents non-teaching staff at Ontario's schools says she expects her members to vote in favour of going on strike.

"This is a group of workers that has suffered a lot in the last few years," Laura Walton, president of the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Ontario School Board Council of Unions told reporters at Queen's Park Tuesday.

"I expect that we'll have a good strike turnout with a strong strike mandate."

Strike votes start Tuesday for the 55,000 workers Walton represents, including custodians, social workers and psychologists. The local votes continue until Sept. 15.

If the non teachers are likely to strike....

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who lived through and protested during the Harris years, the deja vu is something else. I guess if they strike now at least it might move the election, but I feel like people already hate teachers for being overpaid anyway.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As someone who lived through and protested during the Harris years, the deja vu is something else. I guess if they strike now at least it might move the election, but I feel like people already hate teachers for being overpaid anyway.
Given how bad the cuts and changes to the curriculum reportedly are, coupled with Doug's already repulsive reputation, I don't see how anyone looks at this and goes "Well Actual Lee, the teachers are to blame for this and definitely not the government responsible for these changes". If anything, i'd imagine they'd get support from people who Doug's guts just out of spite.

On the subject of elections, where my Manitobans at on the provincial level?

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
those mass defectors are bunch of opportunist losers
"oh we are polling low! Hey, let's change teams!"

fuck those guys, lol. I saw the lead Green guy from NB talking to the media, the guy reeks of slimeballism,

just like that former NDP MP (Nantel) who jumped to the Greens........ who use to be a Bloc guy.
fuck these type of candidates

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile in BC...

Burnaby Hospital getting more than $1.3B expansion from B.C. government
BURNABY, B.C.—The B.C. government is spending more than $1.3 billion to upgrade the 297-bed Burnaby Hospital with two new patient-care towers featuring in its expansion plans.

The government says the upgrades are among the largest health-care investments in the province's history and will affect every part of the existing hospital.

The plans include new wards and operating rooms, a bigger emergency department and a new cancer treatment centre.

The province says the last major upgrades to the hospital were done more than 40 years ago.

The first part of the project will be the construction of a six-storey, 78-bed patient-care tower housing a new maternity ward that is expected to open in 2023.

Yo voters maybe don't vote for parties that promise to 'look for efficiencies'. Hope this helps!

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Did you guys get yours!?

68588773_10157439144288703_3762267986950356992_n.jpg

... should come in red.

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile in BC...

Yo voters maybe don't vote for parties that promise to 'look for efficiencies'. Hope this helps!

Sounds good. I was in there a decent number of times when I got a scaphoid fracture in my wrist and that place is a dump in some areas. The area for casting breaks and x-rays was pretty decent but I think it's really the emergency room that they need to focus on. It was very cramped with low ceilings, I would hate to have to work in there.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Here's that austerity you voted for Alberta. Enjoy!

The bald-faced lying that conservatives constantly engage in nowadays and how people keep falling for it is one of the things that bothers me the most.

"Not a shred of evidence" that increasing taxes is a good idea to help counter budget shortfalls...despite being a low tax province that doesn't collect provincial taxes and recently cut corporate taxes...

Just...Ugh...how does anyone swallow this shit.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Trudeau appointing a corporate China-toady who wants deeper ties to China to be ambassador to China. Makes platitudes about respecting Hong Kong democracy and freedom.

Jennifer Lawrence Okay.gif

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Mad Max is sorry he said bad things about Greta's mental health, while doubling down on his climate denying shit.

Go fuck yourself Max

theo_moudakis_mentally_unstable.jpg

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
He said on the radio that we can't make policies based on "fears" (re climate change).

I actually LOLed in my car. Like, that's your entire schtick Max. Go fuck yourself.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Liberals finally pick their candidate in St-Leonard St-Michel: Patricia Lattanzio

I'm glad that they picked a woman for a safe riding.
a scathing news report came out about safe ridings usually going to men candidates

*if you look at the twitter replies, the alt-right bots are unleashed

Liberals are speeding up their candidate confirmations, the writ will be dropping late this week.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Your real concerns are just....gaslight gaslight gaslight gaslight...
lol, tragi-funny opinion piece. Feel sorry for that author.
Children in cages denied vaccines, US intelligence calling Trump a useful idiot, Trump mental capacity under question, bizarre fixations like that hurricane sharpie, slurring, sex scandals, bizarre behavior overall, deranged is the right word for the twitter diplomacy. lol
Trump looks and acts like he's literally a step away from achieving live action of a full on yellow caricature of a fat, aged, shit eating, capitalist pig. Like if the makeup fell off and a pig nose popped out and he started oinking that would surprise no one.
Canadians know what to think and it isn't what's being sold in that opinion piece.
Overall,
If the Republican Trump admin would stop their legal request to hold Meng Wanzhou that would go a long way to improving opinion of the party with everything else being status quo. A much better improvement than passing USMCA or a sweet tweet. Nothing really against USMCA I think Canada in general just doesn't care either way it goes now. The drama and theatre were nice. It would be interesting to see it renegotiated with Democrats. Also USMCA could be passed with the basic unspoken understanding and intent of something else proposed, created then everyone calmly and carefully move on from USMCA later. I think USMCA was drawn up to be withdrawn from rather completely and effectively.

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
"Hah stupid Canadians with your hating of our President! He's actually really awesome if you cared to look. There are bad things in your country so you should ignore the influence of American politics on your own."

Like honestly, this garbage isn't even worth printing on a bathroom pamphlet.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
"Hah stupid Canadians with your hating of our President! He's actually really awesome if you cared to look. There are bad things in your country so you should ignore the influence of American politics on your own."

Like honestly, this garbage isn't even worth printing on a bathroom pamphlet.

It's just more telling that they're upset that Trump is so unpopular here. CPC hoped to ride on the Trump train at one point.

People might remember that Scheer supported Trump border policies and Trump immigration rhetoric until it wouldn't work and it turned out the US is just running concentration camps.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

I'd probably think nothing of this but given that her husband registered as a lobbyist and is the son of the co-founder of the Fraser Institute my suspicions are probably bordering on conspiracy at this point.

It's interesting that since her falling out she's essentially on her own as the Liberal party has no obligation to defend or insulate her.

I didn't know that ministers had this privilege. As a public servant our spouse has to cover our own way out.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah goodluck on explaining that, JWR..
At least it seems like it was a good idea to fire her and boot her from the party overall lol. That she was the only "non-conservative" to go over 100k is .. wow.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah goodluck on explaining that, JWR..
At least it seems like it was a good idea to fire her and boot her from the party overall lol. That she was the only "non-conservative" to go over 100k is .. wow.

So her husband was a First Nations Lobbyist while she was in the Cabinet and now he was expensing flights back to taxpayers?

That doesn't smell right.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
125k just for her and 420k for the rest of the cabinet!
JWR right up there with the typical self-indulgent fiscal conservative.
If her husband is a lobbyist maybe there should be an investigation into these expenses, if there is an means for it.
Tighten the rules for the future, anyways.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
If her husband is a lobbyist maybe there should be an investigation into these expenses, if there is an means for it.
Tighten the rules for the future, anyways

There should.

Government shouldn't be covering travel costs of lobbyists, that's ridiculous. They should have never been approved.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
hm I wonder why the travel expenses of the high profile cabinet minister in Vancouver is so much higher than Morneau, Freeland, Garneau etc?

It's almost as if Vancouver is thousands of kilometers away from Ottawa while all these other ministers live in Ontario or Quebec.

I expect we'll see more "tips" from the Liberal party to reporters about JWR as this election continues on...

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Wow shocking news, looks like the top 5 travel claimants are from *gasp* BC. Who could have guessed?????

As might be expected given the high cost of travel in Canada, all top six claimants with the highest designated traveller expenses are from Western Canada.

Of those six, all but one are Conservatives.

The top claimant was Todd Doherty, the Conservative MP for Cariboo–Prince George in northern B.C. He claimed a total of $142,236 in travel expenses for his wife over the last four years.

Status
Not open for further replies.