• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
Disclaimer: This is a thread created by .Detective. via the [Adopt-a-user program]

Canada is expected to spend approximately $242 billion on health care this year, with spending growing by almost four per cent over last year.

That $242 billion works out to about $6,604 per Canadian -- $185 more per person than last year, reports the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI), a not-for-profit organization that analyzes health care information in Canada.

Health costs are expected to represent 11.5 per cent of Canada's gross domestic product (GDP) in 2017 -- similar to last year, the organization predicts.

For years, public health observers have worried the amount of money spent on health care has not kept pace with inflation and population growth. CIHI says since 2010, the average annual increase on health care has been only 3.2 per cent. But that appears to be shifting, says Michael Hunt, the director of health spending and strategic initiatives at CIHI.

"Canada's economy is improving and, as we have seen in the past, when there is more economic growth, more money is spent on health care," he said in a statement.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/canada...0-per-person-on-health-care-in-2017-1.3665393

Simon Belmont

Oct 25, 2017
Just to clarify for our American friends, the 6.6k figure is just an average, and in no way a quota or maximum. Every person gets as much care as they need regardless of cost.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA in 2015: $9,451 per capita

Where does the $2,800 or so per person go?

Last edited:

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Just to clarify for our American friends, the 6.6k figure is just an average, and in no way a quota or maximum. Every person gets as much care as they need regardless of cost.

Yup, and some of us use the most minimal every year (one gp visit). So it works out. I don't mind not spending the average if someone that does need it uses more.

A few years back when I had surgery and my father did as well we spent more than we would use normally but that isn't normal obviously.

powersurge

Nov 2, 2017
Pensacola, FL
Sigh another example of how shitty US health care really is. My mother's insurance is a great example (Helping her fill out the paperwork today for 2018). She only makes about $16k a year (before taxes)and her employer insurance plan is costing her about $1k a year and it covers NOTHING and has a $7k deductible. Since her employer offers that shitty plan she gets zero subsidy through the ACA otherwise she would be far better off with a plan purchased through ACA because at least it covers something. :(

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, and some of us use the most minimal every year (one gp visit). So it works out. I don't mind not spending the average if someone that does need it uses more.

A few years back when I had surgery and my father did as well we spent more than we would use normally but that isn't normal obviously.

Yep, hope my fellow Canadians that need health care get the best. One day i'll need it.

T'Challa Shakur

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Sigh another example of how shitty US health care really is. My mother's insurance is a great example (Helping her fill out the paperwork today for 2018). She only makes about $16k a year (before taxes)and her employer insurance plan is costing her about $1k a year and it covers NOTHING and has a $7k deductible. Since her employer offers that shitty plan she gets zero subsidy through the ACA otherwise she would be far better off with a plan purchased through ACA because at least it covers something. :(

That sounds like some 3rd world country shit.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017

Thank you for pointing this out for clarity. While our Healthcare program is not perfect by any means, I am constantly amazed that it remains a priority for our citizens.

I am also thankful that I am in good health, but very appreciative that those in need get the care that they deserve.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Well. It costs a lot but I consider it a fundamental human right so I don't care what the deductions on my paychecks are.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
My gandmother has been in and out of the hospital for a while now and a lot of my family has needed to go to the ER at least once in their life for either themselves, their spouse or their kids..
I'm so glad I'm canadian. I can only imagine how bankrupt and desperate we would have all been had my family not landed here as immigrants.
The amount of stress that's taken off your shoulders during an already stressful health problems so you don't have to worry about hospital bills and can instead worry about healing and getting the rest of your life back together is immense.

I do worry a bit about if we can keep sustaining our programs given our aging population and shifting tax base, but it seems like having more immigration is the key to this.

Last edited:

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
I do worry a bit about if we can keep sustaining our programs given our aging population and shifting tax base, but it seems like having more immigration is the key to this.

What's amazing is that even with the aging population, this only accounts for a yearly 1% increase in costs for the healthcare budget at current rates. Now this may change in coming years, but it's a great thing that we continue to focus on investing in health.

Next year is already looking like a record year for immigration(Toronto will get the majority, but we may surpass the 1-2% of population growth per year mark aross the country), so it will be interesting to see. But I have faith that the country will continue to get stronger.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
All that money that could be going to make an awesome military instead being wasted on healthcare. Who needs healthcare when you have bombs?! And tanks?!

darscot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The issues with Canadian healthcare seem so overblown. The whole wait time thing seems to boil down to entitlement. Every situation I have ever seen in real life has always been completely rational and normal. The people I see actually complaining tend to result in me rolling my eyes. All you hear about is wait times but I don't know anyone with a real world situation that seemed unreasonable.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Those poor Canadian insurance companies, they must gaze at their US counterparts like hungry children, starving for higher profit margins.

lamaroo

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been to the doctor in probably 15 years, but am more than happy to pay taxes so the people who need help have access to it.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
I have used health services a lot in the past, perfectly fine with paying so other people get the same advantage as me. :)

iSnack 2.0

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People get older - they require more care. I suspect that Canada has a similar thing as Australia where they have an aging population. The cost is only going to go up when we keep getting better at keeping people alive.

Computermau5

Oct 27, 2017
All that money that could be going to make an awesome military instead being wasted on healthcare. Who needs healthcare when you have bombs?! And tanks?!
My mind is still blown every time I see the military budget of the States... It's like double (maybe more?) than what we're spending here in Canada on our healthcare :X

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
I haven't been to the doctor in probably 15 years, but am more than happy to pay taxes so the people who need help have access to it.

This is the kind of mentality we need here. Sadly, many of us are incapable of looking beyond our own doorstep. A healthy society in part helps create a healthy economy, and everyone benefits from that. This notion that we shouldn't have to pay for benefits that other people use, or we may not receive needs to end.

Nay

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Good. Our healthcare system is great but we still need more doctors and healthcare providers. Universal prescriptions, optical, and dental would be ideal.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I'm thankful that we have a system like this. I can't imagine the debt my family would be facing if we didn't, due to lots of necessary surgeries, hospital stays, emergency trips and more for close family members who unfortunately have had severe health issues.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, my dad's valve replacement surgery average in the US would cost 169k, my eye surgery would have cost.

We would have had to mortgage their home to pay for that. That should never be an option in any world. I'm glad to have universal healthcare. It's why when any conservative it American bring up taxes, I'm happy to pay none every year because it goes to help ourselves

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, it would have made sense to have a healthcare fund modeled after the CPP. Essentially a fund would be saved up in advance to cover when expenses are rising faster than revenues because of demographic issues.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
As a Canadian I feel like we can always do better, make the system more efficient. But I am never ever going to give up socialized health care.

darscot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder where I am on that 6k average. I know I've had some good runs, at least two ten year streaks without a single medical visit. That being said I have had a couple of significant surgeries and those cost a lot. It would be cool if you could check and see your life time medical cost.

mintzilla

Nov 6, 2017
Canada
Sadly there's more than a few people who want to move us to a more private Americanized system. Usually wealthier people.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
The issues with Canadian healthcare seem so overblown. The whole wait time thing seems to boil down to entitlement. Every situation I have ever seen in real life has always been completely rational and normal. The people I see actually complaining tend to result in me rolling my eyes. All you hear about is wait times but I don't know anyone with a real world situation that seemed unreasonable.
Not unreasonable, but in GTA (and I presume other metropolitan areas) the wait times are ridiculous compare to rest of Canada. I know people, specially ones with kids who prefer to drive 30-40 minutes away to a smaller town because they actually end up saving time.

Even for major surgeries sometimes doctors will themselves recommend to drive to Sarnia because of wait times. Quality of health care is equal so it generally tends to not matter. You just have to drive down to those places.

darscot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not unreasonable, but in GTA (and I presume other metropolitan areas) the wait times are ridiculous compare to rest of Canada. I know people, specially ones with kids who prefer to drive 30-40 minutes away to a smaller town because they actually end up saving time.

Even for major surgeries sometimes doctors will themselves recommend to drive to Sarnia because of wait times. Quality of health care is equal so it generally tends to not matter. You just have to drive down to those places.

Yes this is common out west too, but is that really a big deal. People do this with everything and no one freaks out. Sometimes I go to the Costco that is less busy and a little farther away. So I don't think it's just GTA its the same in Vancouver and I'm sure in every densely populated area. If you head out of town it's less busy go figure.

Oh and more importantly kids with any serious issue skip the line anyway. They just whisk them right in.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
"For years, public health observers have worried the amount of money spent on health care has not kept pace with inflation and population growth."

Why is this worrying? One of the main things I remember from Macro 101 is that the trend of developed nations putting more and more resources into healthcare, even as a percentage of GDP, is a pretty clear trend and not really one that is necessarily problematic, but more an effect of shifting priorities.

Edit: Oh wait, are they saying that it didn't keep up as in spending was too low? Okay, good on you Canada for stepping it up then.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Yes this is common out west too, but is that really a big deal. People do this with everything and no one freaks out. Sometimes I go to the Costco that is less busy and a little farther away. So I don't think it's just GTA its the same in Vancouver and I'm sure in every densely populated area. If you head out of town it's less busy go figure.
Like I said, I would rather have our system than crap they have in US. But I also think we should be figuring out ways to make it more efficient. I actually want them to cover drugs as well, but it is much trickier because of abuse.

Deleted member 12950

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
People get older - they require more care. I suspect that Canada has a similar thing as Australia where they have an aging population. The cost is only going to go up when we keep getting better at keeping people alive.

That's exactly the case and since healthcare is a provincial responsibility the fiscal outlook for the provinces is pretty bad starting next decade through the 2040s. Baby boomers chose not to save (through higher taxes) to smooth out their healthcare costs so worse government services, including healthcare, or higher taxes are going to be a fact of life for Canadians until that generation's gone.

It's going to be a tough pill to swallow (and we don't even cover dental, vision, most pharmaceuticals, and a lot of physio/rehabilitation stuff).

darscot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like I said, I would rather have our system than crap they have in US. But I also think we should be figuring out ways to make it more efficient. I actually want them to cover drugs as well, but it is much trickier because of abuse.

Yeah we are basically saying the same thing. I just hate that you hear politicians in the US ranting about our system and act like people are dropping dead because of wait times. It total bullshit.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Canada pays way less than the United States does on healthcare and they superior care?