• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario here; anyone else worried that the situation in New York State is so far gone and out of control that this has potential to spill over across our border with people desperately trying to get into Canada to find medical help?

Someone tell me this is a ridiculous worry.

I'm fairly confident it will be contained due to border closures, for now it's their problem.

Ontario got 85 cases today for 10:30 numbers.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Ontario here; anyone else worried that the situation in New York State is so far gone and out of control that this has potential to spill over across our border with people desperately trying to get into Canada to find medical help?

As of right now the border is closed to non-essential travel, so they would be denied. Anybody that crosses illegally are forced to go back.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently some crazy person infected with Covid-19 tried to cough on food at a local T&T Supermarket here, but RCMP was quick to react and has arrested said person. It's not on the news yet from what I can tell, but I have seen phone video taken of the arrest. I mention that since I was initially skeptical of this.

The world right now doesn't inspire me with confidence for any ape uprisings.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Apparently some crazy person infected with Covid-19 tried to cough on food at a local T&T Supermarket here, but RCMP was quick to react and has arrested said person. It's not on the news yet from what I can tell, but I have seen phone video taken of the arrest. I mention that since I was initially skeptical of this.

Where is here? I have a T&T 5 minutes away from me in Vaughan, Ontario.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

The border is closed to non-essential travel, Canada has taken the unprecedented step of sending back people who don't cross at an official border crossing (normal policy is to detain and process for potential refugee claims or deportation, I believe), and no one exhibiting symptoms is supposed to come into the country under any circumstances as far as I'm aware. So I think unless New York State forces an armed response on the Canadian side, it'll probably be fine.

I'm not going to say it's ridiculous because who the hell knows what ridiculous even means anymore, but I still think it's unlikely. I don't think we've heard of massive outflows to neighboring regions in other countries hit hard by the virus.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

Is this Vancouver? What the fuck is wrong with people.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Got another email from Galen this morning. An employee from the Real Canadian Superstore on Gibb Street, Oshawa has tested positive. Be careful if you've shopped there.

FrsDvl

Oct 25, 2017
I have to carry legal papers on me every day I go to work, incase we go in to a full lockdown, so no one can prevent me from going to work. Seems so surreal still. At least I'll be on a week vacation starting tomorrow, I'm not leaving the house.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Love the Pharmachien for his solid takes on this (and health/science in general):

91044994_1848299355303273_1674851131622162432_o.png

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

This, in particular, should shush the "but the flu" crap:
Aux États-Unis, la grippe a causé 61,000 décès depuis 2010. Pour ce qui est de la COVID-19, si aucune mesure n'était prise pour stopper la pandémie, l'estimé est de 2.2 millions de morts.

A few days ago he had a great little article about flattening the curve, too
lepharmachien.com

COVID-19 : Aplatir la courbe - Le Pharmachien

As-tu déjà joué à Pandémie ? C’est un jeu de table (« board game ») coopératif où le but est de limiter l’éclosion et la propagation de pandémies à travers le monde, et de découvrir des remèdes pour les enrayer. Et c’est stressant en maudit comme jeu. C’est TRÈS facile de perdre la partie à...

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Well I'm getting a $2 pandemic raise at one of my jobs. Anyone else who's still working getting any temp raises?
Nope CEO is thanking us for working but legitimately don't see them actually giving us a fucking thing for working during the pandemic. That Essentials list is a fucking joke that is literally everything. Like wtf? Guess Ford doesn't actually care about anyone.

Now I gotta be just more paranoid that I"m gonna get infected because people will see this as a all clear even though it's legitimately not.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Is Quebec just catching up to test backlogs? In know there are some tests that are a week old in some parts of Ottawa.

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
In this crazy world I do think most of Ottawa are doing their part.

People are certainly becoming more aware and starting to care more in general I find. I was in London Drugs yesterday and they have X on the floor to stand on and almost everyone respected it, one guy wasn't and people asked him politely to please stand on the X and he did so I think it's starting to get through to people now.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
😬 Is that that entire stupid wedding party Legault mentioned?

Hopefully Quebec's numbers fall a bit soon after clearing backlogs. Any idea how much backlog is left?

People getting tested more + test is quicker + now preliminary positive cases show up in the numbers. Not sure if it's the case in other provinces yet. It would surprise me that Quebec would be that much more infected than Ontario. Maybe it is though.

So it's a mix of backlog, better testing, more testing.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
People getting tested more + test is quicker + now preliminary positive cases show up in the numbers. Not sure if it's the case in other provinces yet. It would surprise me that Quebec would be that much more infected than Ontario. Maybe it is though.

So it's a mix of backlog, better testing, more testing.

Gotcha.

I do hope we get faster/more testing in BC again soon. I do understand why they're prioritizing health care workers/care homes/essentials, though.

Oct 27, 2017

That's fucked up...

Oct 25, 2017

Victoria PD posted on their Twitter last week that someone was caught on Douglas & Johnson coughing on people and spitting on door handles etc.

Just crazy fucked up.

Hence why I'm sanitizing my door-handle every day I come into my shop to do my online duties.

kalgore

Oct 29, 2017
I thought I was going to witness an incident yesterday.\

I was at Costco in Kitchener right off the 401. Costco has put in a lot of safety measures and I think done a great job. However two people bought ~100 bags (~300L) of milk. They were in front of me in line and were getting a lot of sideways looks and comments. I bought two bags (6L) which is normal for my wife and kids to drink in a week and I felt bad about taking that much until I saw them.

As the line was moving pretty slow I had a lot of time to think about this. On one hand the reason people pay for a Costco membership is for the bulk buying ability. On the other does the current crisis not warrant some restraint on the part of these people? Even if they were not hoarding (they claimed to be making cheese out of all that milk) it might be a good idea for them to talk to a farmer and getting a license to buy unpasteurized milk which from my understanding is the only way to actually make cheese anyway.

I think Costco needs to put a bag limit on Milk to save us from ourselves.

I hope this is over soon. Stay healthy everyone.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
1) Costco needs to limit everything, every grocery store does. No more than 2 of anything.

2) You or someone else should have called them out. It's our collective responsibility now to social shame people for hoarding or not social distancing.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
1) Costco needs to limit everything, every grocery store does. No more than 2 of anything.

2) You or someone else should have called them out. It's our collective responsibility now to social shame people for hoarding or not social distancing.
We need to tread carefully with such measures. We have large numbers of people in forced self-isolation or vulnerable populations, reliant on neighbors, friends and family to purchase goods to ensure they are cared for. Putting in place large sweeping restrictions can be counter-intuitive to the end goal in making those at risk stay home.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone been to the Vaughan or Downsview Costco this week? How busy has it been and do you think it's safe?

I don't know if I can deal with Costco stress right now but I'll need to grab groceries soon =/

Oct 25, 2017
We need to tread carefully with such measures. We have large numbers of people in forced self-isolation or vulnerable populations, reliant on neighbors, friends and family to purchase goods to ensure they are cared for. Putting in place large sweeping restrictions can be counter-intuitive to the end goal in making those at risk stay home.

Hrmm, not really.

Everyone has someone that can fetch things for them.

Well, maybe not, generalizing is dangerous I suppose - but limitations are necessary.

I've been personally doing grocery runs for a variety of friends and acquaintances all week as a healthy person with plenty of free time.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Hrmm, not really.

Everyone has someone that can fetch things for them.

Well, maybe not, generalizing is dangerous I suppose - but limitations are necessary.

I've been personally doing grocery runs for a variety of friends and acquaintances all week as a healthy person with plenty of free time.
Not everyone has someone that can just repeatedly "fetch things" for them. We want people limiting their contact with others yet are happy to force others to repeatedly goto areas that are a hotbed for infection due to artificial restrictions.

Look I'm not saying there aren't plenty of panic hoarders out there, but we had something like a million people return to Canada last week, many more millions of elderly or vulnerable people and are contemplating putting an arbitrary restriction on all items. It's completely counter-intuitive, those who should stay home will be forced to go out to the store because even if they have someone willing to purchase goods for them, they will struggle to stay under limits while providing for themselves also.

Not everyone has the luxury of leaning on multiple people to help them out, especially the elderly. The panic hoarding will soon stop, there is only so much TP, canned goods and whatnot people can stock up on before they realize they have enough to last a year. It's not a supply issue right now.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

No they shouldn't. Costco is a membership store where people are meant to buy in bulk and you don't know if the person buying multiple bags of milk runs a bakery or works at a food bank.

A regular grocery store absolutely should limit items though.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
No they shouldn't. Costco is a membership store where people are meant to buy in bulk and you don't know if the person buying multiple bags of milk runs a bakery or works at a food bank.
That's a fair point, 100 bags though? I think at the very least, asking why they need this many wouldn't be out of line.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So I was temporarily laid off because of COVID today and was told to sign up for EI, as they don't know how long I will be off.

I went through the whole process, but on my confirmation page it mentioned that I will need to be completing bi-weekly job search reports. I'm not looking for a job though, I'm waiting for mine to start up again. Does anybody know what I am supposed to do? It's very stressful :(

Oct 25, 2017
So I was temporarily laid off because of COVID today and was told to sign up for EI, as they don't know how long I will be off.

I went through the whole process, but on my confirmation page it mentioned that I will need to be completing bi-weekly job search reports. I'm not looking for a job though, I'm waiting for mine to start up again. Does anybody know what I am supposed to do? It's very stressful :(

I wouldn't worry, just report that you are waiting for the pandemic to end

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

That's the standard language and you're supposed to "prove" you're looking for work under normal circumstances. But obviously these are anything but... and there's no way they could actual check everyone's reports if that was still an actual requirement anyway.

Trying to do this all through EI is... well, an interesting way to do it.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Where is here? I have a T&T 5 minutes away from me in Vaughan, Ontario.
Is this Vancouver? What the fuck is wrong with people.
Yeah need a link. Was just about to head out to get food at Promenade.

Yeah, it's Richmond, so Metro Vancouver. Richmond being Hongcouver but jokes about Vancouver being the Asian capital of the continent aside, it's absolutely shocking. What's also shocking and confusing is that said perpetrator could be Chinese, well East Asian judging from the video, wearing a mask too. Like right now, it's really difficult for people of East Asian descent or even some of SE Asian descent who can pass as East Asians with the whole covid-19 scare. This person being a crazy person doesn't help matters with the hate and racism.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I actually did apply for a job yesterday, so if the reports are still necessary I'll report that =/

I haven't been on EI for like 10+ years... *knock on all the wood*... but when I was on the questions about looking for work were just another checkbox. They didn't really follow up with that until I was almost out of EI time.

And right now.. there is just no jobs. They aren't going to be following up with you.

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017

I've been on EI for a few months after being laid off last year. The online report I do every two weeks is pretty straightforward:

- have you moved during the period?
- were you outside of Canada for this period?
- are you self employed?
- have you earned any wages during this period?
- did you attend any school or training?
- were you ready, willing, and capable of working M - F?
- any other money you've received?

I assume if you answer yes to some of them (or no to the willing and able question) you have to explain more, but otherwise it's just a bunch of yes / no questions. Maybe they audit randomly like taxes? But I've never been asked for details on what I've been applying for.