• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the requirements for applying for CERB? I know that you can't apply if you qualify for EI or if EI isn't enough but someone in the other thread said that you need to have had at least $5,000 of reported income in the previous year, but I cannot find any corroborating sources for that.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's reasonable to assume that as the backlog goes through, the % of positive ones should go up as the community transmission increased over time. Then hopefully go down eventually. So yeah Canada and QC and anyone else with a big backlog will get a lot more.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
My grocery store is now stopping people from entering the store accompanied. You have to shop alone. Gonna have to rethink our process here since my partner and I always go together.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
This is slightly alarming for me.

I more than qualify in 2019 and have filed/been assessed and have an assessment for 2019 but I had 0 dollars income in 2018. Since tax filing date is now June, many people have not filed 2019. So I hope they don't do something like go entirely off 2018 assessments.
CRA has all your information in NETFILE. It won't matter if you've filed or not, they've had that information since January if not earlier. You don't even need a physical T4 these days, you can file taxes without it as it's already all in the system.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's still touch and go, but getting more testing and getting through the backlog is critical for not letting Canada go the way of the US. Once more serious cases are tested and the need for that diminishes, they can move on to larger scale testing of the "maybes" and catch those infections before the symptoms manifest and community spread gets worse.

We need to get the visible cases tagged and out of the way as quickly as possible so we can start wide-spread "maybe" testing and get that under the control.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
That is insane. I was really impressed with Quebec's numbers compared to Ontario and BC just a few days ago considering its population size. The situation there seems to have deteriorated incredibly fast.

The numbers are going to increase across the country as tests are more available, and there's less wait period to receive the results. These are the real numbers, it doesn't help anyone to artificially keep the numbers low by keeping probable cases out of the stats. Arruda said they were the numbers they were waiting for, no one in the government is surprised by the recent Quebec numbers.

My grocery store is now stopping people from entering the store accompanied. You have to shop alone.

It's a really good policy, but it's sad that it had to become one. Wish my Grocery store enforced that. We're supposed to practice social distancing, while couples who live together will obviously share all the risks so they can get closer and do "business as usual" in their homes, when they're outside they literally just represent a bigger obstacle to dodge for others when they try to practice social distancing. The same with families of 4 going to the grocery store at the same time, mom, dad and the kids ... it's disheartening. Especially in a place where it's already hard to distance from people like a Supermarket.

EDIT: Erasing remark I thought was useless and not what we need in those times

Last edited:

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My grocery store is now stopping people from entering the store accompanied. You have to shop alone. Gonna have to rethink our process here since my partner and I always go together.

Which store? I also always shop with my girlfriend, so it would suck if we have to make a list beforehand everytime, in case we miss something the other want.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
The clapping and banging of pots and pans for healthcare workers is becoming super widespread in Vancouver each night, it's really moving to see it in action.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This should be the policy everywhere. More than one person shopping for a household makes it more difficult for people to practice social distancing.

Went to the stores alone today to shop for our household of four and had to dodge people or go around aisles because people were blocking aisles with their kids/SOs/parents and I would have to come ridiculously close to them to pass them. Made a short trip much longer than it should have been.

Yes, I may have looked like a fool but I'd rather be safe than sorry since I have elderly parents with various comorbidities including heart disease and diabetes living with me.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Quebec's spring break was the first week of march. Add a week of incubation and a week of contagion, and that's where we are. Unfortunately, when the shit hit the fan on march 12th and social distancing began, many travellers/spring breakers had already been contagious for a few days.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metro is doing some work. They ask you at the door if you have covid, then grab a basket or shopping cart, higienize the bars and ask you to be far from other people.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Metro is doing some work. They ask you at the door if you have covid, then grab a basket or shopping cart, higienize the bars and ask you to be far from other people.

Ooooh, that's good to know. Haven't been to Metro in a while, went to my local small grocery store to get what I needed for a few more days but I'll need to do a big run at the end of this week or the start of the next. We'll see how it goes!

This should be the policy everywhere. More than one person shopping for a household makes it more difficult for people to practice social distancing.

Went to the stores alone today to shop for our household of four and had to dodge people or go around aisles because people were blocking aisles with their kids/SOs/parents and I would have to come ridiculously close to them to pass them. Made a short trip much longer than it should have been.

Yes, I may have looked like a fool but I'd rather be safe than sorry since I have elderly parents with various comorbidities including heart disease and diabetes living with me.

100% agree. It's worst with kids too b ecause kids are kids, and they run around, touch a lot of things and can be a lot harder to dodge. Not judging single parents in this at all, I understand completely. But even single parents, bringing a child that's clearly old enough to stay home alone for a few minutes/hours is just irresponsible. I get it, it's hard to change our social behavior.

But we have to, even those smaller details.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019

Yep. Even early last Sunday morning trying to get back to the front of the store I had to play, "What aisle can I actually go down? Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. etc."

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
I was also happy to hear that testing has been opened to anyone with symptoms going forward in Quebec.

I hope I didn't misunderstand that bit during the press conference or if it was clarified later on.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Distilleries are switching to making hand sanitizer which is cool. I drove all the way to Mainland Whisky in South Surrey to get some, and there's a big line here. Can't find sanitizer anywhere else in the city.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Canada Goose starting to make medical gear (scrubs, patient gowns), from what I understand it's donations too.

Bauer also starting to make medical equipment!

Oct 26, 2017
They finally gave up on saying "please" to every travelers to self-quarantine. It was really stupid to begin with. I don't know why it took them long to do this. This should had been done when they closed the border. I really hate how the government handled this. Stop being reactive ffs.

Really wish this had been enforced ahead of people returning from March Break.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Distilleries are switching to making hand sanitizer which is cool. I drove all the way to Mainland Whisky in South Surrey to get some, and there's a big line here. Can't find sanitizer anywhere else in the city.

Canada Goose starting to make medical gear (scrubs, patient gowns), from what I understand it's donations too.

Bauer also starting to make medical equipment!
This is rad. I love reading stuff like this.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Big help for renters in BC from the provincial NDP government. No Evictions until this crisis has passed. Also no rent increases.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I just got my access code in the mail, logged on to the EI website and its still under review. I applied last week on Monday the 16th. I guess ill have to wait another week or so? Anyone have experience with EI?
How did you get your access code? Was it from your employer?
My employer is supposed to send me mine by now, but they are still taking their damn time...
I need the access code to complete my EI application along with my record of employment.
This is super frustrating.

Mar 3, 2018
So
My employer is supposed to send me mine by now, but they are still taking their damn time...
I need the access code to complete my EI application along with my record of employment.

My employer submitted my ROE digitally. I then applied for EI and at the end of the application it said my access code will be mailed to me. I got the access code in the mail and used it to log in to my EI account.

I would recommend you do the same. They will still start processing your application even if they don't have your ROE yet.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

CBC News Alerts @CBCAlerts

From CBC's Jen Lee: Alberta Premier Jason Kenney says too many people are ignoring important COVID-19 guidelines and will now face full force of the law.

Kenney says community peace officers and police can now issue tickets to enforce COVID-19 public health orders i.e. limits on mass gatherings and mandatory self isolation, and issue fines of up to $1000 per violation.​

5:49 PM - Mar 25, 2020

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
So

My employer submitted my ROE digitally. I then applied for EI and at the end of the application it said my access code will be mailed to me. I got the access code in the mail and used it to log in to my EI account.

I would recommend you do the same. They will still start processing your application even if they don't have your ROE yet.
My employer is not going to submit my ROE for me, so I will need to do it myself unfortunately.
Now I'm wondering if Service Canada need BOTH the EI Application and ROE before they send me the access code...

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently don't apply for EI now and wait for the CERB website? Because you might get more money under CERB or your EI application will go to CERB anyway?

The messaging has been unclear.

Mar 3, 2018
My employer is not going to submit my ROE for me, so I will need to do it myself unfortunately.
Now I'm wondering if Service Canada need BOTH the EI Application and ROE before they send me the access code...

Service cannot will NOT send your acess code before you complete your EI application. Do that ASAP.

As for your ROE, once you have it you can either mail it or faster would be to go wait in line at a service canada location and give it to them and thats it.

Apparently don't apply for EI now and wait for the CERB website? Because you might get more money under CERB or your EI application will go to CERB anyway?

The messaging has been unclear.

Yah, the wording on the government website is confusing for me. Ill post it below.

Canadians who are already receiving EI regular and sickness benefits as of today would continue to receive their benefits and should not apply to the CERB. If their EI benefits end before October 3, 2020, they could apply for the CERB once their EI benefits cease, if they are unable to return to work due to COVID-19. Canadians who have already applied for EI and whose application has not yet been processed would not need to reapply. Canadians who are eligible for EI regular and sickness benefits would still be able to access their normal EI benefits, if still unemployed, after the 16-week period covered by the CERB.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Service cannot will NOT send your acess code before you complete your EI application. Do that ASAP.

As for your ROE, once you have it you can either mail it or faster would be to go wait in line at a service canada location and give it to them and thats it.
Okay got it.
Unfortunately all of my local service canada locations are currently closed for the foreseeable future, so mailing is my only option.
My employer is such an lazy asshole for not submitting ROEs digitally for us.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Steady as she goes, BC.

42 new cases, 1 new death. (All of our deaths other than 1 have been Lynn Valley Care Centre...same here).

Another new care home has a case, and BC Health is very worried about Haro Park (28 residents and 27 staff have tested positive).

659 cases, 183 recovered, 64 in hospital, 26 in intensive care.

Possibly huge relief to many:

"On Wednesday, the provincial government announced sweeping measures to halt evictions across the province for the duration of the COVID-19 emergency, as well as freezing rent and providing cash relief for tenants struggling to make ends meet."

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Steady as she goes, BC.

42 new cases, 1 new death. (All of our deaths other than 1 have been Lynn Valley Care Centre...same here).

Another new care home has a case, and BC Health is very worried about Haro Park (28 residents and 27 staff have tested positive).

"On Wednesday, the provincial government announced sweeping measures to halt evictions across the province for the duration of the COVID-19 emergency, as well as freezing rent and providing cash relief for tenants struggling to make ends meet."

alarming comment toward the end about the virus getting into the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver. One reporter mentioned there had been a confirmed case in this community

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
Steady as she goes, BC.

I live a couple blocks from Haro Park, every time I think "hey I should step out to get a few supplies" I'm like NOPE.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I dont know how accurate it is but the virus map I looked at when you zoom in there is a dot right on my building. There's only 5 units in here. My friend down the street has a confirmed case in his building an there is a dot on his building too 😬

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
alarming comment toward the end about the virus getting into the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver. One reporter mentioned there had been a confirmed case in this community

Shit. :( I never listen, just pick up the main details after. That's no good at all. :( Damnit. I don't know what we do about the DTES. Is there someone we can write about maybe trying to put the homeless in a motel so they at least have a chance to isolate??

Edit: my friend says apparently the city has reserved some rooms for this purpose? I'm going to look into it more...

I live a couple blocks from Haro Park, every time I think "hey I should step out to get a few supplies" I'm like NOPE.

NOPE. I'm not in Van (out in WR), but in general, I haven't been outside for a while lol. I have to go out to get a prescription soon and it's WORRISOME.

Last edited:

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

A homeless man in Montreal who has tested positive for COVID-19 turned up at a Montreal homeless shelter Monday seeking food.

The patient's contact with staff was minimal, and he didn't enter the building, according to the Old Brewery Mission's executive director, Matthew Pearce.

"We are very concerned about a homeless person out on the streets of Montreal with COVID-19," said Pearce.

That's not good at all.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Dr. Barbara Yaffe, the province's assistant chief medical officer of health, said as of Wednesday afternoon, 17 COVID-19 patients are in intensive care units and all but two of those patients have been put on ventilators.

Half of Ontario's cases are in Toronto (no duh). 16% of 309 cases are community spread.

Five of the new 100 cases are hospitalized; a women in her 20's from Peel region is also in hospital.

I'm glad our hospitalization rate is still low, but I'm worried on how fast it can rise.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

Half of Ontario's cases are in Toronto (no duh). 16% of 309 cases are community spread.

Five of the new 100 cases are hospitalized; a women in her 20's from Peel region is also in hospital.

I'm glad our hospitalization rate is still low, but I'm worried on how fast it can rise.

We're going to get overrun if our numbers continue on their path. Hoping the numbers show improvements in 2-3 weeks.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Crossposting from the other Canada thread in case this is the correct place... A friend who was receiving EI has now had it run out this past month and is not able to find work due to self-isolation. Are they eligible for the CERB? Seems like what I'm reading here this is missing those folks who were already unemployed prior to the pandemic.