• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
This was the link
http://canadacovid-19.ca

Looks like it got taken down. Maybe it was BS or something, I dunno.

Be very careful with what trackers you are using. Outside of ones posted from official government sites, or vetted within articles from major news outlets.

There is a new trojan horse PC virus going around that is embedded within URL for fake Covid sites and tracking tools.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Crossposting from the other Canada thread in case this is the correct place... A friend who was receiving EI has now had it run out this past month and is not able to find work due to self-isolation. Are they eligible for the CERB? Seems like what I'm reading here this is missing those folks who were already unemployed prior to the pandemic.
If they've earned at least $5000 in 2019, they are eligible. I don't think EI payment counts. So it has to be $5000 in employment income.

To qualify, applicants must have had $5,000 in employment income, self-employment income, or maternity or parental leave benefits for 2019 or in the 12-month period preceding the day they make the application.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Argh, I just need to vent. I work as a condo concierge/security, and the building I work in doesn't have parcel lockers; we have to accept the packages and put them in the storage room. So far, things have been fine, the couriers come in, leave the packages in a corner, I wipe them down with Lysol, move em, all good.

Today though, Amazon comes late, around 3pm. The courier has a lot of packages, but he leaves them in a corner, all good. However, he is coughing (a dry cough) frequently. Also sniffling. He's not wearing a mask or gloves. He coughs openly in the lobby and on the packages as he's scanning them. Obviously I'm worried, I ask if he's alright and he say's he's fine. He sounds sick though, like cold/stuffed nose sick. He leaves.

I call one of the cleaners, and together we wipe the packages down and spray disinfectant spray in the air around them (and on them). We're both wearing masks and gloves, and before I leave I wash my hands and do not touch my face until I get home and re-wash my hands.

So my concern is that the Amazon courier has COVID-19 and now I might have it. I talked to my property manager and he says to self-monitor for now, but he also said the guy could have a cold or flu or allergies or anything but COVID-19. Am I overreacting? What should I do, just self-monitor or go into self-isolation immediately?

Sorry for the long post.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Argh, I just need to vent. I work as a condo concierge/security, and the building I work in doesn't have parcel lockers; we have to accept the packages and put them in the storage room. So far, things have been fine, the couriers come in, leave the packages in a corner, I wipe them down with Lysol, move em, all good.

Today though, Amazon comes late, around 3pm. The courier has a lot of packages, but he leaves them in a corner, all good. However, he is coughing (a dry cough) frequently. Also sniffling. He coughs openly in the lobby and on the packages as he's scanning them. Obviously I'm worried, I ask if he's alright and he say's he's fine. He sounds sick though, like cold/stuffed nose sick. He leaves.

I call one of the cleaners, and together we wipe the packages down and spray disinfectant spray in the air around them (and on them). We're both wearing masks and gloves, and before I leave I wash my hands and do not touch my face until I get home and re-wash my hands.

So my concern is that the Amazon courier has COVID-19 and now I might have it. I talked to my property manager and he says to self-monitor for now, but he also said the guy could have a cold or flu or allergies or anything but COVID-19. Am I overreacting? What should I do, just self-monitor or go into self-isolation immediately?

Sorry for the long post.
Hmm... I would self-monitor for now. As long as you were well protected, cleaned everything and washed your hands, your chances of catching it is extremely low.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the heads up. Someone texted me the link last night. I'll be more careful

No worries.

Not sure what browser you use, but I would recommend installing some free adblock and script extensions as well, if you do not already so so.

The link you had above, stands out as more fraudulent, since it is way too direct to the point(i.e. Canadacovid-19, and from a non-https configuration, which is more secure than the older http). Most legit trackers are associated with a URL that has the main organization in the starting portion of the domain address(i.e. https://www.canada.ca/), and then further line info in the subdomain portions. But even those can sometimes be tricky, if they try to sneak in special characters to fool people.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

To add to the list of things Society will need to get its shit together with after the pandemic is over...Actually dealing with the problem of homelessness. Simply put, people should not be on the streets now, they shouldn't ever, but especially not now. Follow the lead of Scandivania. Give people homes. Make sure they have enough money for food.

Solve the problem; it's not that expensive a problem to solve and will actually save money in the long-term.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hmm... I would self-monitor for now. As long as you were well protected, cleaned everything and washed your hands, your chances of catching it is extremely low.

Thanks for the reply. It's more likely he had something other then COVID-19, but you never know. I was actually exposed to a confirmed positive case two and a half weeks ago (similar situation with coughing in the lobby), and it seems I didn't catch it then. Fingers crossed for this time. Hand-washing and not touching the face seems to be key.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly really pleased to see the government taking this seriously and being really concerned with putting out programs to help people, but the whole roll out seems so disorganized.

Like it seems like within days they're figuring out that their earlier idea is too complex or not enough then they're rolling out a new idea.

Try getting it right the first time?

Am I alone in thinking this? I dunno if I'm being too critical here. Seems like a lot of people are really confused about the EI benefits they qualify for.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Today though, Amazon comes late, around 3pm. The courier has a lot of packages, but he leaves them in a corner, all good. However, he is coughing (a dry cough) frequently. Also sniffling. He's not wearing a mask or gloves. He coughs openly in the lobby and on the packages as he's scanning them. Obviously I'm worried, I ask if he's alright and he say's he's fine. He sounds sick though, like cold/stuffed nose sick. He leaves.

Sorry for the long post.

Damn amazon should really require all their drivers have masks

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Spatial Distancing Incoming!

www.theglobeandmail.com

Toronto, Vancouver look into closing roads to traffic to create space for social distancing

Toronto Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam said residents living on and around Yonge Street need to be able to get outside, to run essential errands or for their health, without being squeezed together on narrow sidewalks

I hope this becomes permanent and they just ban cars from city centres all together. Public transit, cabs/Uber, bikes, and foot traffic only. We'd have to greatly expand public transit though, and I want us to push for that.

Sounds like it. That person took advantage and put people at serious risk of death.

That is criminal.

There was also this idiot:

Police in western Newfoundland say a woman arrested for refusing to stay at home after she returned from a trip outside the province is expected to make a court appearance today.

Const. James Cadigan says officers responded to complaints alleging the woman was not self-isolating for 14 days, as required under the Public Health Protection and Promotion Act.

Newfoundland woman arrested for refusing to self isolate after talking to police | Globalnews.ca

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary says the 53-year-old woman was arrested Tuesday in Corner Brook for violating public health emergency orders aimed at slowing the spread of COVID-19.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, I think starting tomorrow, I'll no longer venture in the general/international thread. Between the horror movie scenes in Lombardy, Madrid and NYC, the nightmarish scenario waiting to happen down south, the endless bickering about China's responsibility and the many stories about young healthy people suddenly dying, I think I prefer living in oblivion to spare my sanity.
I'll stick to the situation in Canada for now. At least there's still a chance that things might get better before long.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I'll stick to the situation in Canada for now. At least there's still a chance that things might get better before long.

We're doing okay. Not amazing. But we definitely took action and clamped down before it got really out of control. The real test now will be to see what our data is looking like in 14 days.

It's a crisis, but it's a slow-motion one.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
We're doing okay. Not amazing. But we definitely took action and clamped down before it got really out of control. The real test now will be to see what our data is looking like in 14 days.

It's a crisis, but it's a slow-motion one.

Yeah agreed. Being okay is worrisome in itself. We need swifter, harder and honestly, a further VOLUME of multiple actions to occur, at the micro and macro levels.

Absolutely cannot let our guards down, considering an actual cure for this thing is still a year or so out.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah agreed. Being okay is worrisome in itself. We need swifter, harder and honestly, a further VOLUME of multiple actions to occur, at the micro and macro levels.

Absolutely cannot let our guards down, considering an actual cure for this thing is still a year or so out.

They'll be talking about reopening the economy in a few weeks I'm sure.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's incredible how quiet it is outside when I walk my dog, it sounds like when I go camping and I'm near Trinity Bellwoods Park.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's incredible how quiet it is outside when I walk my dog, it sounds like when I go camping and I'm near Trinity Bellwoods Park.
Any time I hear that name I think of a friend that grew up on Montrose and one night ripped off a cab driver by having him stop on Queen then running straight through the park so he wouldn't have to pay the fare. What an asshole. lol

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Yeah, I think starting tomorrow, I'll no longer venture in the general/international thread. Between the horror movie scenes in Lombardy, Madrid and NYC, the nightmarish scenario waiting to happen down south, the endless bickering about China's responsibility and the many stories about young healthy people suddenly dying, I think I prefer living in oblivion to spare my sanity.

I'm reminded of the financial crisis of the early 00s. Canada's banking regulations saved us from experiencing the massive economic devastation that shook countries like the US and UK so badly. I was living in the UK at the time, and it was brutal.

I believe the action Canada has taken and is taking will have a similar effect. We'll still be hit reasonably hard, but policy driven by evidence will have saved us again.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Even if we manage to to keep the infection rate stable or even lowered, I fear that if dumbass Trump decide it's time to reopen the borders way too soon, that all our efforts would have been for nothing.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Even if we manage to to keep the infection rate stable or even lowered, I fear that if dumbass Trump decide it's time to reopen the borders way too soon, that all our efforts would have been for nothing.

I think we could still refuse entry from all foreign passengers. Our borders would still be closed. I think any Canadian attempting to leave for vacation should be refused re-entry. Especially if they leave for the US.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly really pleased to see the government taking this seriously and being really concerned with putting out programs to help people, but the whole roll out seems so disorganized.

Like it seems like within days they're figuring out that their earlier idea is too complex or not enough then they're rolling out a new idea.

Try getting it right the first time?

Am I alone in thinking this? I dunno if I'm being too critical here. Seems like a lot of people are really confused about the EI benefits they qualify for.

They should have just done 2k UBI, only need to apply if you didn't file your taxes or whatever.

LaydinJinn

Oct 31, 2017
Officially got temporarily laid off with the rest of the company today, execs say hopefully it's just for three weeks but who knows.

I was hoping the announced Ontario stimulus plan can keep the company afloat for a bit longer but I guess we were just bleeding out with most of our key clients not able to function and postponing a lot of work and payments.

Anyone know of anywhere that is hiring for an IoT Product Manager in Toronto? lol (I kid, companies laying off left and right here from what I am hearing)...

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Spatial Distancing Incoming!

www.theglobeandmail.com

Toronto, Vancouver look into closing roads to traffic to create space for social distancing

Toronto Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam said residents living on and around Yonge Street need to be able to get outside, to run essential errands or for their health, without being squeezed together on narrow sidewalks
I'm completely for that, even making it permanent, but the "war on the car" nutsos would fight that tooth and nail even with no one driving around.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada

Not to be cruel to the delivery driver but you need to report them to amazon. If that person is sick they will be getting others sick as a result (even if it's just a cold). That person should not be doing deliveries. You on the other hand did an amazing job to keep your building safe and I think should in general be ok due to your diligence. I hope the people in your building appreciate what you're doing for them.