• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I thought Australians werent taking things seriously? They are doing better than us.
On testing, sure.

Everything else, that is a huge negative. I was there merely a week ago, people were still attending parties, going to pubs, weddings. No one was taking it seriously, that's changed a lot over the last week but Canada has been far quicker to enact social distancing rules. We are obviously at greater risk of numbers exploding given our proximity to the US, Australia is much easier to shutdown.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
So, here is a taste of what St John's downtown looked in the morning two days ago. Comparatively there'd be many more cars and pedestrians on the street around this time (~1130ish). Note that these are large HQ images and may take a while to load from the slow server:

Water Street:
027c981338281227.jpg

1a4b6b1338281232.jpg

70e42a1338281238.jpg

802e6f1338281245.jpg

d1f5dc1338281247.jpg

dbe0901338281251.jpg

a9cc8f1338281254.jpg

0751c71338281255.jpg

233ac21338281257.jpg

e3a3b01338281259.jpg

274ac11338281260.jpg

fec6281338281266.jpg

75823f1338281267.jpg

5bb7081338281268.jpg

ab812c1338281270.jpg

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
So, here is a taste of what St John's downtown looked in the morning two days ago. Comparatively there'd be many more cars and pedestrians on the street around this time (~1130ish). Note that these are large HQ images and may take a while to load from the slow server:

Oh man, I was just visiting there over the summer. That's really eerie.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
BC numbers for today, I believe, are 66. 66 people of our total 725 are in the hospital, 26 in ICU. 183 total recovered. No new deaths today.

Steady as we go.

Also, thankfully, it sounds like Vancouver is figuring out a plan for DTES. I've seen notes about securing hotel rooms and some community centres for shelter/self-isolation, and the government has given the green light for a "safe supply" of drugs.

Edit: Looks like AB has reported too. If those numbers are it (maybe more for Ontario's evening update though?), under 700 for the day. Stay the course, Canada! We got this! 💪 🇨🇦

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
www.ctvnews.ca

Netflix reduces video quality in Canada to lower internet bandwidth use

Netflix is lowering video quality for its subscribers in Canada as it attempts to reduce soaring demands on internet bandwidth in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The lower bandwidth streams of Netflix programs should still deliver the usual quality of each plan, the company said, whether it's ultra-high definition 4K, high-definition or standard definition.

In a blog post last week, the company's vice president of content delivery explained that Netflix has many different levels of streaming quality for each title within each resolution tier. With the changes, Ken Florance said Netflix is simply removing the highest bandwidth streams from the platter of options.

The move comes as telecom companies see a rise in data usage while Canadians self-isolate at home and use streaming services more frequently than usual.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
BC numbers for today, I believe, are 66. 66 people of our total 725 are in the hospital, 26 in ICU. 183 total recovered. No new deaths today.

Steady as we go.

Also, thankfully, it sounds like Vancouver is figuring out a plan for DTES. I've seen notes about securing hotel rooms and some community centres for shelter/self-isolation, and the government has given the green light for a "safe supply" of drugs.

Edit: Looks like AB has reported too. If those numbers are it (maybe more for Ontario's evening update though?), under 700 for the day. Stay the course, Canada! We got this! 💪 🇨🇦

Is that higher or lower than yesterday's number?

Ontario has nothing to report for the PM. It's been like this for a few days so i feel like they've streamlined the reporting process. I think Ontario is still on the climb for another week. I feel like we're one week behind quebec. Could be wrong but i'm hopefully.

Stay zestfully clean.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
So my mother hasn't applied for EI yet, but should she just wait to apply for the CERB instead of EI?
The payout for CERB seems it's going to be more than what she might get from EI...

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Oh man, I was just visiting there over the summer. That's really eerie.
I hear you.

I'm also in St. John's and work in a Wal-Mart and it blows my mind how the people who seem to care the least are seniors. They're going around not talking any precautions and not taking distancing seriously. It's insane.

Also, they arrested the woman who wasn't obeying the mandatory quarrantine AGAIN for the same thing. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newf...ic-health-arrest-isolate-quarantine-1.5510514

At my local Sobeys, there are tapes that mark 1.5m distances at the check out line now. Feels like unless an external force implements the solution, many people go about their daily business unperturbed the new reality.

So my mother hasn't applied for EI yet, but should she just wait to apply for the CERB instead of EI?
The payout for CERB seems it's going to be more than what she might get from EI...

I thought folks CERB is for folks who do not qualify for EI.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
I was getting 720p and 540p on some films, stream never went above 0.7Mbps.

I only have a 1080p set but the downgrade was pretty obvious at times. On 540p it was potato quality.

I haven't used Netflix yet today but am on the 4K UHD plan. Will report back on what I see.

Honestly, I am not against this, as I realize it's for the better of all, considering the situation going on.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Is that higher or lower than yesterday's number?

Ontario has nothing to report for the PM. It's been like this for a few days so i feel like they've streamlined the reporting process. I think Ontario is still on the climb for another week. I feel like we're one week behind quebec. Could be wrong but i'm hopefully.

Stay zestfully clean.

It's a little higher, but generally in line with our usual days. We've been floating anywhere between 40-high 80s a day.

🍊 zest.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
@ Brinbe

Fam, did you end up re-watching the playoffs as part of the way to fill the Raptor sized hole in our collective hearts?

League Pass is free until late April.

Max A.

Oct 27, 2017
So if I'm eligible for the maximum amount for EI ($573/week) then I should definitely stay with that instead of applying for CERB, right? I don't know why some of my co-workers are saying we are going to switch to CERB once we can apply...

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
@ Brinbe

Fam, did you end up re-watching the playoffs as part of the way to fill the Raptor sized hole in our collective hearts?

League Pass is free until late April.
yeah, i've been signed up since day one. but haven't watched much, to be honest. watched a few of the early 90s jays/leafs games being shown on sportsnet and that's about it lately.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I went to the LCBO this afternoon to stock up, same social distancing rules in effect as last time, but before security let me in they asked if I've felt ill or have been out of the country in the last two weeks. After they let me in, there was a stand setup with mandatory hand sanitization.

Kinda surreal, but good to see they're taking this seriously, even if people can lie their way past security.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Would I be able to apply for CERB as a graduating student who probably won't be able to find work in the next few months?

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Would it be possible for me to apply for CERB if I get fired from my paid internship with a month left to complete ? Considering I have made over 5000$ in the past months.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Hi fellow BBall fan, I watched all of the playoffs rerun. It's not the same. Makes me sad to see Kawhi.

I am grateful for what he did and have moved on. And get a little pleasure in seeing LAC being so dysfunctional.

But back when it first happened, I listened to Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On for a while lol.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Very limited supply of test kits + labs being inundated with tests atm and so they are rationing/triaging for the cases deemed most necessary.
It also allowed them to fudge the numbers. If they can now say that after 14 days, you're good the number of cases will suddenly drop in their released numbers. 50% overload and lack of kits, 50% positive PR for the Ford government who has been hit and miss this entire time.

Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder if I was exposed at work since I worked at a fairly large and busy restaurant, or exposed at any of the other busy places I went right before shit really hit the fan

Probably never know unless they do the anti-body test on everyone

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Lol fuck off Netflix, if I am paying for 4K then give me 4K or reduce the cost of the plan.

also Crave lol, your video quality has been 480p before COVID19

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
The video bandwidth thing is interesting in Canada. Shaw made a big statement on their website recently that all the upgrades they've done to their network would make it so there were no issues. Are these streaming companies cheaping out, or is it actually a strain in this country too? I'm fine if they need to do it. It's just hard not to be cynical and see it as these companies being opportunistic.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Well at the very least my grocery store has the plexiglass shields now. they seem like they'll be a permanent fixture even after the pandemic subsides?

I am feeling pretty exhausted though, and allergy season is upon me!! The trees are in pollination mode and everyone, even myself, will think I have C19 because of the itch it gives my lungs..

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The video bandwidth thing is interesting in Canada. Shaw made a big statement on their website recently that all the upgrades they've done to their network would make it so there were no issues. Are these streaming companies cheaping out, or is it actually a strain in this country too? I'm fine if they need to do it. It's just hard not to be cynical and see it as these companies being opportunistic.
Companies like Netflix and Youtube have bandwidth strain as well, it's just not usually the issue.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
Just got a notice that my ISP is increasing my monthly fee by $5. Internet becomes an uttermost necessity, and now this
Thanks ISPs. 👎🖕

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
globalnews.ca

Ontarians with COVID-19 no longer require tests to be considered virus-free | Globalnews.ca

Previously, in order for a case to be considered "resolved" and listed as such in public health numbers, the individual had to receive two negative tests over 24 hours.
This seems like a really, really bad idea. They feel fine? People have already proven they don't give a shit and will lie. At the very least they should be tested once more.

This sounds disastrous.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This seems like a really, really bad idea. They feel fine? People have already proven they don't give a shit and will lie. At the very least they should be tested once more.

This sounds disastrous.
I don't know, that seems "surprisingly okay" to me. 😉

Guess I should make sure everyone knows I'm joking.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Service Canada offices to shutter for in-person services over COVID-19 concerns

Man my Repayment Assistance Program for student loan comes to an end on the 31st and I have been trying to log into my account and for the last week or so, it's been offline. I got into it today but the RAP portion was offline yet again. I called them and the line is "busy", presumably because no one is there now.

Would the 6 months grace period be extended to folks who were already under RAP I wonder and it's making me very anxious.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
Would I be able to apply for CERB as a graduating student who probably won't be able to find work in the next few months?

I'm in the exact same boat. It feels like people like us are being completely abandoned.
I have enough to support myself for the next several months, but after that...

Same here. It's pretty unclear considering we didn't lose our job. Just won't be able to get one.

Did you girls/guys at least made 5K$+ last year? I did (summer internship) and even then I don't know if I can apply since I don't have a current employer and am technically still a student until the end of may.

dietertong

Oct 28, 2017
So I work 2 jobs - one full time, one part time. Just got my temporary layoff notice for my part time job. Think I'm good for my full time at the time being, but am I able to apply for EI/CERB? My part time job did bring in a decent income for me so that's lost wages. Haven't seen anything explicitly saying though that kind of situation.