• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
www.insauga.com

BREAKING: COVID-19 outbreak declared at Credit Valley Hospital in Mississauga | insauga

Trillium Health Partners (THP) has declared an outbreak of COVID-19 in a unit at Credit Valley Hospital. In a recent statement, THP said that four patients in an inpatient unit have tested positive for COVID-19. An outbreak has been declared as a result. THP says that it’s working closely with...

Great my local hospital has an outbreak.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah the hospital I work at has locked up all the mask, their only giving out surgical masks, even the surgical masks are locked up. I think if I work emergency tomorrow I'm going to isolate in my basement after my shift

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
BC update:
+43 new cases
+5 deaths :( 4 in Vancouver Coastal, 1 in Fraser
+507 recovered total, so half of our cases now
-Large outbreak in Interior health (interior BC) among temporary foreign workers in housing of an agricultural business. Business closed, workers isolated in housing (could be the larger numbers we've seen the last few days)
-still 60 in ICU but "not the same as yesterday", some have left, some are new

Oct 27, 2017
Current figures for the latest Quebec statistics from the current 4162 cases:

Hospitalizations: 6.87%
ICU: 1.97%
Death: 0.74%

You know, the reason Quebec
I'm using this website to have a good idea of what's going on in the country :

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/info/20...emie-cas-carte-maladie-symptomes-propagation/

There's no numbers for Ontario as far as hospitalizations & ICU cases. Is this information just not available? I see it for BC, Quebec, Alberta (the "big" provinces) but not for Ontario.

Apparently Ontario is making it very difficult to get good stats on what is going on, and is being criticized for it.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
At Loblaws today I saw a woman walk into the store intentionally coughing on all the people she walked by, the security guard in charge of social distancing was completely oblivious to it and slow to react when I and another person told him, gave up rather quickly when he couldn't find her, was slow to react again when I pointed her out when she was threatening a Chinese woman that she had the disease, and management's response was seemingly just to let her buy her stuff and leave, while she was picking fights with other people in line. (She dropped her stuff and just left at that point.) Bonus: That oblivious security guard even let her walk back in when she came back for the debit card she forgot.

Way to fucking go, Loblaws.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
At Loblaws today I saw a woman walk into the store intentionally coughing on all the people she walked by, the security guard in charge of social distancing was completely oblivious to it and slow to react when I and another person told him, gave up rather quickly when he couldn't find her, was slow to react again when I pointed her out when she was threatening a Chinese woman that she had the disease, and management's response was seemingly just to let her buy her stuff and leave, while she was picking fights with other people in line. (She dropped her stuff and just left at that point.) Bonus: That oblivious security guard even let her walk back in when she came back for the debit card she forgot.

She should be locked up somewhere.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hate to ask a dumb question: But when shopping, is anyone else worried about non-heated foods they buy (salads and sushi)?

www.insauga.com

BREAKING: COVID-19 outbreak declared at Credit Valley Hospital in Mississauga | insauga

Trillium Health Partners (THP) has declared an outbreak of COVID-19 in a unit at Credit Valley Hospital. In a recent statement, THP said that four patients in an inpatient unit have tested positive for COVID-19. An outbreak has been declared as a result. THP says that it’s working closely with...

Go Ssauga. :(

Prax

Oct 25, 2017

Hopefully it was all on camera so she can be charged by police.
I think it's hard for grocery store people to actually do much when criminal activity is happening directly.

Which one was it? Hopefully not any of the ones near me..

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Hopefully it was all on camera so she can be charged by police.
I think it's hard for grocery store people to actually do much when criminal activity is happening directly.
They have a security guard stationed at the only open entrance to make sure people aren't coughing and are lined-up 2m apart. She shouldn't have even been let in.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
According to Quebec projections from two weeks ago, we'd currently be at about 10k cases in Quebec as of today. With a rapid ascension to around 16k by the start of next week. And that seems to be where they saw the flattening of the curve occuring, as the projections led to about 18k by April 21st.

So maybe this means the curve will not be as steep as projected, which is great news for the healthcare system.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously. They didn't even call the police from what I could observe. Management was probably more concerned with not having to deal with a COVID-19 incident.

I should have taken a video and called the police myself.

report it. Get the cops involved, get Loblaws corporate involved.Trashy people should not be allowed to do what they want, especially when it comes to the health of others.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
www.insauga.com

Shit.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'm literally the next exit west of this.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

What.The.Fuck!??

Fuckers like these should be tazed on site. Fucking pieces of shit. Feels like cops should be involved in a process like this. Some people are fucking malicious pieces of shit.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
PEI issued its first fine ($1000) for violating the Public Health Act order to self-isolate on return from travel.

Get 'em!!!

People are starting to talk about it... Summer is probably cancelled folks.

This doesn't surprise me. I keep talking to people who are like "yeah, by May!" and I'm like "haha...hopefully!!" so as not to be negative towards people trying to keep hope lol. 😬 I'm expecting at least June, and maybe a less restricted but still socially distant July/August, and then locking down again in fall when it comes back. Ehh.

Also, I keep forgetting to say so, but FEEL BETTER SOON, djkimothy! Get better, pug-avatar buddy.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I've made peace with myself that the rest of 2019 is a write off. I don't see a situation where crowds are allowed to gather until one of the following happens:

A vaccine
An effective treatment is found that can be mass produced
Mass testing (like everyone, once a week)

For example, the NFL season is in real danger (i realise that's trivial but giving an example of something people aren't even discussing yet)

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like July is peak pandemic where we'll have to wait out for the virus to be partially melted away in August, but a new wave will crop in October. Seems like we won't be settled until November or December at this rate.

Whatever timeline we have in our head of "things would be over by now if people were sensible", I just multiply it 2-5x to adjust my expectation realistically.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Shit just got real for me- Turns out last thursday, a Sobeys pharmacist tested positive for COVID. Location of that Sobeys is literally within 30s of walking distance from my place in St John's (it's my go to place for grocery shopping).

I don't think I have ever had panic attacks in my 30+ years of existence but ever since COVID came to St John's, I think I may be having a mini panic attacks.

Mar 3, 2018
How do yall think people are gonna respond once 20-30 degree weather starts to roll around? Lot o people are already not listening and going out and its still cold. Worried that due to this we will have a big spike again....

I have come to terms with the reality of 2020 being a complete write-off as well, just cant imagine people staying indoors on a hot and sunny Sunday and not flocking to the beaches or the parks. Gonna be hard to handle the general population.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
How do yall think people are gonna respond once 20-30 degree weather starts to roll around? Lot o people are already not listening and going out and its still cold. Worried that due to this we will have a big spike again....

I have come to terms with the reality of 2020 being a complete write-off as well, just cant imagine people staying indoors on a hot and sunny Sunday and not flocking to the beaches or the parks. Gonna be hard to handle the general population.
Need heavier fines and penalties.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017

Montreal is going to be a shitshow.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017

I feel like summer is going to need a total lockdown if it's still running rampant, to stop just that. 😬

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Errr what? BC's testing rate per capita is significantly beyond South Korea's peak rate and they are often held up as an example of good testing. Even the national per capita rate is higher than South Korea. (based on latest data I could find)

In a global comparison Canada is doing quite well in the testing department, whether that's 'enough' is questionable. The ideal case is that literally every single person is tested but I don't think that's a reasonable expectation.

Also, in a thread such as this I think it's absolutely critical to source your information. What is your information for ER doctors really complaining about the tests?

www.scmp.com

British Columbia is testing for Covid-19 faster than South Korea did

3,500 Covid-19 tests are being conducted in the Canadian province daily, the health minister says, a rate that easily exceeds South Korea’s rate per capita and is triple the rate in the rest of Canada

COVID-19: Current situation - Canada.ca

Information for Canadians on COVID-19 (coronavirus) including current cases, risk, monitoring, COVID-19 variants and how to get updates.
ourworldindata.org

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Testing - Statistics and Research

No country knows the total number of people infected with COVID-19. All we know is the infection status of those who have been tested. All those who have a lab-confirmed infection are counted as confirmed cases.

For the last 2 you'll have to do the math yourself to get the tests per million population.
Here is one brave ER doctor who is refusing to toe the line: https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/03/30/bc-undertesting-covid-19/
I don't think what he's asking is unreasonable. There are more like him but BC's cases haven't exploded so I doubt they'll make much noise (yet).
I'm willing to be verified by a mod as I work in health care directly supporting these brave men and women. I am privy to internal health authority town halls that express this doc's opinion.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
would it be selfish of me and/or inconsiderate if i go around doing photography at a time like this? Im talking about riding my bicycle around or going for walks with my camera and taking pictures of buildings and the city....Slowly going crazy being indoors. i have been going for walks and bike rides early mornings, but throughout the day i slowly lose my mind.

If you stay within your general vicinity no.

But if you start going for long trips

Absolutely that's a problem.

There were dudes on my night bus ride to work here in BC who were taking the bus home with their bikes after a trip to Stanley Park.

Completely unnecessary and one was telling the other that he'd give him a list of everything he needs to see before he leaves as if touristy bullshit was in order

Pissed me right off

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
If you stay within your general vicinity no.

But if you start going for long trips

Absolutely that's a problem.

There were dudes on my night bus ride to work here in BC who were taking the bus home with their bikes after a trip to Stanley Park.

Completely unnecessary and one was telling the other that he'd give him a list of everything he needs to see before he leaves as if touristy bullshit was in order

Pissed me right off

These people are the worst. I really really want the sun to stop coming out and the rain to show up (c'mon BC?? Where is the "rain/construction/winter" general flow??? Stupid BC lol) to chase these jackasses inside.

How are you doing, btw? Are you getting better protective measures for work?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
These people are the worst. I really really want the sun to stop coming out and the rain to show up (c'mon BC?? Where is the "rain/construction/winter" general flow??? Stupid BC lol) to chase these jackasses inside.

How are you doing, btw? Are you getting better protective measures for work?

Yes my work is taking it seriously, it's nice

And my boss is great. She sat with me for 30 min one day just help calm my distress

I'm still just extremely on edge and depressed but that's not going away short of quitting and staying home which isn't a long term feasible option

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
400+ retirement homes infected with COVID-19 in Quebec. This is going to hit hard in the next few days/weeks. My grandma is in one, don't know if her place has been infected yet. Most of the damage has been done in Estrie and Montreal, and I'm in Quebec City proper (Capitale-Nationale region), and so far the infection is spreading but nowhere near as fast as in Montreal.

Now, I'm going to say something that might be horrible and I'm sorry if if offends anyone. My grandmother has alzheimer's and has been very weak for a long time. I'm fairly sure she wouldn't survive this. I love her dearly and hope I can see her again after this is all over. But my biggest worry if she dies is the effect it would have on my mom. She loves her so much, and would be a lot more devastated than me. I'm more scared about the domino effect than anything else. Afraid that my mom would end up doing something stupid putting her health in peril, she's already in a pretty "at-risk" group, being a big smoker and 60+ years old. Fortunately, she's taking COVID-19 very seriously, even scolded my grampa one time because he went to buy his groceries himself. But the thought of losing my mom to this is gnawing at me more and more. Not being able to see her because of this pandemic is making all these feelings even worse.

I might sound a bit chauvinistic when I talk about Quebec in this thread because I want us to do great. But seeing these numbers rise up is starting to scare the shit out of me. Even if we're below our projections. Hoping the vast majority of the families from people here are not affected by this. And if they are, to be affected as little as possible.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

What the fuck? This is insane. That woman needs to be in prison.

And my boss is great. She sat with me for 30 min one day just help calm my distress

I'm still just extremely on edge and depressed but that's not going away short of quitting and staying home which isn't a long term feasible option

*hugs*

400+ retirement homes infected with COVID-19 in Quebec. This is going to hit hard in the next few days/weeks. My grandma is in one, don't know if her place has been infected yet. Most of the damage has been done in Estrie and Montreal, and I'm in Quebec City proper (Capitale-Nationale region), and so far the infection is spreading but nowhere near as fast as in Montreal.

Now, I'm going to say something that might be horrible and I'm sorry if if offends anyone. My grandmother has alzheimer's and has been very weak for a long time. I'm fairly sure she wouldn't survive this. I love her dearly and hope I can see her again after this is all over. But my biggest worry if she dies is the effect it would have on my mom. She loves her so much, and would be a lot more devastated than me. I'm more scared about the domino effect than anything else. Afraid that my mom would end up doing something stupid putting her health in peril, she's already in a pretty "at-risk" group, being a big smoker and 60+ years old. Fortunately, she's taking COVID-19 very seriously, even scolded my grampa one time because he went to buy his groceries himself. But the thought of losing my mom to this is gnawing at me more and more. Not being able to see her because of this pandemic is making all these feelings even worse.

I might sound a bit chauvinistic when I talk about Quebec in this thread because I want us to do great. But seeing these numbers rise up is starting to scare the shit out of me. Even if we're below our projections. Hoping the vast majority of the families from people here are not affected by this. And if they are, to be affected as little as possible.
Damn, that's rough. I hope your family pulls through. :(

400+ retirement homes? That seems like a lot, yikes...

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I've posted this in the main coronavirus thread, but I stayed at a major hotel for five days for a conference in downtown Toronto over New Years time and came down with the worst sickness, a with dry cough, fever, a resting heart beet so fast my Apple Watch was warning me, eventually difficulty breathing, chest pain, overall it lasted at least two weeks. My family got it and had similar symptoms, my sister got it and could barely breathe. I know it's very unlikely it was coronavirus given the timing but if it was possible I'd like to be checked for antibodies.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017

I'm glad to hear they are doing what they can for you. <3

And yeah. I get the on edge, but I'm a huge coward lol. 30 minutes of shopping the other day had me so anxious, so...you doing 30-40 hours a week, you have nerves of steel :)

I hear you on all of this. My grandma passed away in December, and honestly...glad she didn't have to be around for this. My grandpa is around and he's having a hard time because...he is sad about my grandma being gone, we moved him closer to more of the family so people can see him...and now no one can see him. 🙄 Life. I hope I get to see him. :S

So...I hear you re your grandma, the worry for your mom (I'm always worried about my mom and dad, they're mostly lifelong smokers), and just in general. My mom is also taking it seriously, but I worry about not being able to see her, and just one day, she will call and say that her or my dad are sick. :( It's hard. We both want to go see our parents...

Also, 400+ retirement homes in Quebec?? That must be a big reason for your numbers...it spreads like wildfire through retirement homes. 😔 The ones that it's gone through here in BC haven't done so hot.

Anyway...this is all making me a bit emotional and anxious. I need to sleep. 😅 Best days to you tomorrow, Canada friends. <3 We're all in this together.

I've posted this in the main coronavirus thread, but I stayed at a major hotel for five days for a conference in downtown Toronto over New Years time and came down with the worst sickness, a with dry cough, fever, a resting heart beet so fast my Apple Watch was warning me, eventually difficulty breathing, chest pain, overall it lasted at least two weeks. My family got it and had similar symptoms, my sister got it and could barely breathe. I know it's very unlikely it was coronavirus given the timing but if it was possible I'd like to be checked for antibodies.

I don't know how you'd go about doing that, but if you could, that might be a great thing to be able to do! Honestly...if I get it, the first thing I'll be doing when I recover is trying to donate.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder what shape the economy will be in come June if we're still in this quasi-lockdown state for another two full months.

About how long before BC hits the expected peak?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad to hear they are doing what they can for you. <3

And yeah. I get the on edge, but I'm a huge coward lol. 30 minutes of shopping the other day had me so anxious, so...you doing 30-40 hours a week, you have nerves of steel :)

I'm fortunate my 40 hours are at night and i shift my break to avoid working while the store is open... but the bus ride is stressful especially at night where everything feels less safe because of how basically who is still going out at night.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
www.thestar.com

Landlords can still threaten tenants with evictions, says the province

Even though tenants can’t be ordered from their homes, tenants can still be issued an eviction notice by their landlord.

According to the "COVID-19 information for landlords" page posted to the government's website on Saturday, "Landlords can give tenants an eviction notice, but eviction hearings and orders are on hold except for urgent disputes such as those involving illegal acts or serious safety concerns."

The Ford government halted Landlord and Tenant Board hearings — meaning no new evictions, which require the board's approval, can be ordered and no existing orders can be enforced. But landlords can still move to evict the tenant who may not understand those additional steps needed for a legal eviction.

Gonna be a lot of eviction hearings once this is over.

Oct 25, 2017
Genuine question about the medicine: does it still effective when you had a minor symptom like sinus, headache, etc with medicine like Tylenol/Advil? I just wanted to know. Thanks

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Whats the best site that displays Canada's curves, new cases and data in general?

COVID-19 epidemiology update: Summary — Canada.ca

This summary of COVID-19 cases across Canada contains detailed data about the spread of the virus over time and in different regions of the country. Includes breakdowns by age and sex or gender. Provides an overview of testing, variants of concern, cases following vaccination and severe illness...

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
Different worry time (but this is really a true worst case scenario):

So I'm not a resident Canadian (work in Germany) but have been stuck here since coming down in Feb for some personal matters. I'm choosing not to fly back to Germany at the moment for obvious reasons.

That being said: if this really isn't resolved in 6 months, I'll need to start having discussing how to avoid being declared a resident here. I'm sure there will be exceptions granted but I'm not looking forward to the rigmarole I'll have to go through. I'm definitely NOT paying Canadian and German taxes though. Fuck that.

Again this is true worst case I'm talking about....