• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
There's been zero supports for small businesses in BC regards commercial leases. The official line seems to be "ask your landlord for flexibility" - a group of people known for their generosity. Either that, or go further into debt with one of the available credit facilities

Vancouver will be a ghost town for retail once this is all said and done. It's so sad

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
There's been zero supports for small businesses in BC regards commercial leases. The official line seems to be "ask your landlord for flexibility" - a group of people known for their generosity. Either that, or go further into debt with one of the available credit facilities

Vancouver will be a ghost town for retail once this is all said and done. It's so sad

The unfortunate part is that if commercial landlords don't offer rent/mortgage deferrals, the wave of bankruptcies will ripple towards them shortly afterward.

Of course, they'll probably ask for a bailout (and probably get it too) instead of doing the proactive thing.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The sad thing about all these extras being given out... the only thing I'm going to have is GST credit because I'm unemployed since forever. :(

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that even Singh's proposal, which some people feel is either an overreach or the wrong way to achieve the goal of rent relief, doesn't seem to actually accomplish rent relief from what I can tell; it basically institutes MORTGAGE relief, combined with an appeal to provinces to I guess somehow enact some form of rent relief that's more politically palatable now that landlords are (more) covered economically? Either that or it's the same basic "mortgage relief will naturally convince landlords to enact rent relief out of the goodness of their hearts" argument lots of other people have been making, unless I'm missing something fundamental.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

COVID-19 epidemiology update: Key updates — Canada.ca

This summary of COVID-19 cases across Canada contains detailed data about the spread of the virus over time and in different regions of the country. Includes breakdowns by age and sex or gender. Provides an overview of testing, variants of concern, cases following vaccination and severe illness...

Figure 1. Cumulative COVID-19 cases (n=5,590Footnote1) in Canada by episode dateFootnote2 as of April 1, 2020, 11 am EDT.
fig-1-eng.jpg

Figure 2. New reported COVID-19 cases (n=5,590Footnote1) in Canada by episode dateFootnote2 as of April 1, 2020, 11 am EDT
fig-2-eng.jpg

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Just received my retroactive-to-March8 Essential Services premium for being grocery store worker: $303 made so far lol

Unfortunately, the way our paycheques work, there is some automated calculations done for witholding based on the weekly amount, so I got taxed at like 32% of my pay, so it's like that premium didn't boost my pay at all haha..

Last edited:

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017

This summary of COVID-19 cases across Canada contains detailed data about the spread of the virus over time and in different regions of the country. Includes breakdowns by age and sex or gender. Provides an overview of testing, variants of concern, cases following vaccination and severe illness...

Figure 1. Cumulative COVID-19 cases (n=5,590Footnote1) in Canada by episode dateFootnote2 as of April 1, 2020, 11 am EDT.
fig-1-eng.jpg

Figure 2. New reported COVID-19 cases (n=5,590Footnote1) in Canada by episode dateFootnote2 as of April 1, 2020, 11 am EDT
fig-2-eng.jpg

Those look promising...

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
The sad thing about all these extras being given out... the only thing I'm going to have is GST credit because I'm unemployed since forever. :(
Yeah, I've been unemployed for 3 months. I've had a couple job interviews, but no dice so far. I won't receive any CERB money even though there is no chance that I'll get a job in the next 4 months or so due to COVID-19. Major bummer.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada

fig-1-eng.jpg

fig-2-eng.jpg

Why on earth does this have us at under 6000 cases when most other trackers have us at 10k?

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Why on earth does this have us at under 6000 cases when most other trackers have us at 10k?

" Information on demographics, symptoms, and outcomes is currently available for 5,590 reported cases due to reporting lag times. Therefore, the data below should be used to observe trends and not absolute numbers."

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Man i hope those charts are signs of good things to come. Just found out today my job hangs in the balance of much this improves the next six weeks.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
So because Kenney scraped the NDP carbon tax plan, the feds just gave us a lump sum credit (climate action incentive) on our 2019 taxes. How does Scheer manage to convince people who are getting money put in their pockets, that they shouldn't get that money and in fact act like it's the worse thing in the world? It's like the shit he says directly hurt his voters, and yet they would still vote for that trash party.

Even from a self preservation/self interest prospective, voting conservative makes no sense for the vast majority of their base. Wanting to see minorities and the vulnerable members of our society suffer must be one helluva incentive if you're willing to screw yourself over again, and again, and again.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Even from a self preservation/self interest prospective, voting conservative makes no sense for the vast majority of their base. Wanting to see minorities and the vulnerable members of our society suffer must be one helluva incentive if you're willing to screw yourself over again, and again, and again

White supremacy and greed over six figure oil jobs which will never happen again is a hell of a drug.

Simon Belmont

Oct 25, 2017
Legislation for a 3-6mo residental (ie. primary residence) rent/mortgage deferment would be sufficient -- and should be introduced such that it won't impact credit ratings. There doesn't need to be anything overly complicated to pull it off.

Commercial properties are going to be an issue though.

So who covers the interest? If we push payments out into the future it completely fucks up the interest calculations. Generally the longer one holds a debt the more interest racks up. Currently when someone defers a payment it gets added on to the end of the term. Are we going to blanket extend the term of every mortgage in Canada? Who is going to pay for the massive amounts of interest that is going to add to everybody's mortgage? There's only so long you can defer a mortgage before we reach the limits of the terms of the contract that was signed. What if somebody has already made a bunch of deferments? Are we retroactively changing legal contracts? What about people who can still afford to make their payments? All I'm saying is that in my experience Lending is way more complicated than people think it is.

I get that banks have deep pockets, but cutting of a major contributor to the bank's revenue source is probably not the best way to go forward. It would end up hurting the economy in ways that would be hard to predict. I also just don't think it's fair. People sign contracts for mortgages. They have a legal obligation to pay it back. Every major lender has been offering job loss insurance on mortgages since forever. It's not the bank's fault that there is an epidemic, and it's not the bank's fault that people tend to not buy job-loss insurance.

It's not the people's fault that there's a pandemic either, but I don't think breaking the lending systems at the banks are the best way to provide relief. Direct Government loans or relief is, in my opinion, a much better way to go.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
" Information on demographics, symptoms, and outcomes is currently available for 5,590 reported cases due to reporting lag times. Therefore, the data below should be used to observe trends and not absolute numbers."

I just don't understand how it can be used to show trends if the data is incomplete. It seems misleading. Using other trackers Our case growth is linear at best. Definitely not reducing to almost nothing like those graphs imply.

Simon Belmont

Oct 25, 2017
It occurs to me that one thing you could look at in a post Covid Canada is making job loss and medical insurance mandatory for both mortgaging and renting the same way we make collision and liability insurance mandatory for driving.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
It occurs to me that one thing you could look at in a post Covid Canada is making job loss and medical insurance mandatory for both mortgaging and renting the same way we make collision and liability insurance mandatory for driving.

Should be mandatory for people and corporations. At least corporations, if they don't pay, no bailout for you.

Or if they're going to take taxpayer money, have them issue shares so taxpayers can invest and eventually cash out and sell if the company recovers due to taxpayer money. But that's more complicated.

Oct 27, 2017

fig-1-eng.jpg

fig-2-eng.jpg
I just don't understand how it can be used to show trends if the data is incomplete. It seems misleading. Using other trackers Our case growth is linear at best. Definitely not reducing to almost nothing like those graphs imply.

Yeah, these charts are (unfortunately) quite wrong. New cases continue to rise on a daily basis.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Ontario with +401 cases and 2052 test pending. 62,733 total tested.

Patients Hospitalized = 405
Patients in ICU = 167
Patients with ventilators = 112

What's Ontario capacity?

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Ontario with +401 cases and 2052 test pending. 62,733 total tested.

Patients Hospitalized = 405
Patients in ICU = 167
Patients with ventilators = 112

What's Ontario capacity?

Found this report on critical care units/beds in Ontario. From 2007 it looks like. No idea if we added more.

Overall, Ontario has 213 critical care units spread across 127 acute care hospitals. These units contain 1,789 critical care beds, of which 1,057 are capable of providing patients with invasive mechanical ventilation.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Radio-Can is reporting that the US is diverting equipment from under our noise. A shipment of masks arrived in Montreal. US officials offered more money and it got reshipped to Cincinnati instead. Same thing happened in France.
With friends like these...

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Radio-Can is reporting that the US is diverting equipment from under our noise. A shipment of masks arrived in Montreal. US officials offered more money and it got reshipped to Cincinnati instead. Same thing happened in France.
The fuck?!

Edit: Actually I shouldn't even be shocked. Czechia stole equipment meant for Italy (donated by China and Russia IIRC) a while back then tried to pass it off as a "mistake". Motherfuckers.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017

Also - The US offered a bunch of cash to a German company working on a vaccine to make it exclusive to the States

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Here's the original story from JDM (yeah, I know...): https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2020/04/03/des-masques-pour-le-quebec-detournes

And here's a more general story about this whole phenomenon (that we are part of as well): https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1690419/masques-canada-chine-quebec-avion-detournes

Where did this mask came? This is infuriating.
China. They were bought by a local businessman, arrived at the DHL depot near Montreal, and got mysteriously reshipped to the US.

Oct 25, 2017
Start sending the military to airports to secure medical supply deliveries destined for Canada so they can't "mysteriously" be sent somewhere else during delivery.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
thinkpol.ca

Airbnb asks government to bail out hosts in Canada - ThinkPol

Airbnb spent the last decade ruthlessly going after all levels of government to remove or water down housing rules that stand in the way of long term rental units being turned into irregular hotels. Airbnb hosts labelled government attempts to regulate short term rentals as government trampling...

Time for some humor.

It's certainly been interesting the amount of 'newly furnished' houses and apartments that have popped up for rental in the last two weeks in BC. The rental pages on FB are suddenly full of them.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017

Yep, here is the Radio France article on it, in English.

Fucking scumbag move by the US...

www.rfi.fr

Face masks from China intended for France 'hijacked' by US at the last minute

Coronavirus masks that France ordered from China were bought at the last minute by the United States as they waited to be loaded onto cargo planes, French officials have said.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017

fig-1-eng.jpg

fig-2-eng.jpg

good shit

Oct 25, 2017
The unfortunate part is that if commercial landlords don't offer rent/mortgage deferrals, the wave of bankruptcies will ripple towards them shortly afterward.

Of course, they'll probably ask for a bailout (and probably get it too) instead of doing the proactive thing.

This is what's so fucking ironic about it.

Landlords don't help with commercial rent, our small businesses go under.

Small businesses go under, commercial landlords have no clients [and you can bet there won't be any new small businesses opening anytime soon thereafter].

Part of me wants to use this crisis to get out of my lease early without penalties, go online only for a minute, then have the PICK OF THE FUCKING CHEAP LITTER for spaces after all is said and done.

It seems my landlord understands this, and has already offered to defer my base rent for April, but only April thus far [not good enough].

Taking it day by day right now.

Edit: this mask stealing bullshit is just the first taste of how humans will behave in any post-civilization type of scenario, seriously fucked and needs to be reprimanded.