• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're in Vancouver Granville then vote for Jody Wilson-Raybould - INDEPENDENT.
Hell no! don't vote for that idiot who wants a conservative government in her misguided attempt to gain more power
D7qfHGCXkAEHUVL.jpg

Last edited:

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Hell no! don't vote for that idiot who wants a conservative government in her misguided attempt to gain more power

It seems like there's a Chretien-Martin type feud within the party still.

It wouldn't surprise me if Trudeau is too progressive for some people.

I guess the former AG(recommended by Paul Martin) is one of them.

Can Kinsella's BS finally catch up to him?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like there's a Chretien-Martin type feud within the party still.

It wouldn't surprise me if Trudeau is too progressive for some people.

I guess the former AG(recommended by Paul Martin) is one of them.

Can Kinsella's BS finally catch up to him?

That's what I want to know. Was Kinsella still getting paid? And even if he wasn't, does that matter? It's a terrible breach of journalistic ethics.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I want to know. Was Kinsella still getting paid? And even if he wasn't, does that matter? It's a terrible breach of journalistic ethics.

Probably.

If you were hired to smear the PPC you'd do it in a place like the Sun as that's the audience you want to reach so you don't want to split the vote.

"If Trudeau wants to denounce real bigotry – and he, and all of us, should – he should train his sights on Maxime Bernier's People's Party. Bernier and his cabal have devolved into the porch-light of Canadian politics, attracting all the bugs and the creepy-crawlies.
"

And journalistic ethics and Kinsella are like oil and water.

Was he getting paid to smear Trudeau throughout all his rumors is a bit more interesting. Like the GPC?

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Probably.

If you were hired to smear the PPC you'd do it in a place like the Sun as that's the audience you want to reach so you don't want to split the vote.

"

And journalistic ethics and Kinsella are like oil and water.

Was he getting paid to smear Trudeau throughout all his rumors is a bit more interesting. Like the GPC?
I feel kind of proud that kinsella used to follow me on Twitter until I called him out for the hipocracy of supporting scheer but denouncing open racists like Goldy. Dude called me a "stupid bitch" and blocked me. Feather in my cap.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
"Some ideological differences"

He means like between the Libs/NDP/Greens right? He can't possibly also be referring to the CPC and PPC.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
No, for all intents and purposes, Canada has been a mostly moderate country that can occasionally come to its senses and lean left when it serves the interest of the straight white majority. Our entire electoral history makes that abundantly clear.

No, it really hasn't and Canada has been getting more progressive and liberal as time goes on. Literally don't have to look any further than three major parties and nearly 60% - 70% of the electorate votes for a left wing party. I mean, you can shift the posts all you want but that doesn't change what the polls have shown and even show right now.

That's ultimately true. That said, we have our own uniquely damning issues, though, such as the much-hated-but-never-dealt-with Senate, runaway majority governments that neglect their mandates as empty campaign promises, sectarianism/separatism, the extremely low bar of party membership allowing leadership elections to be raided, if the leadership isn't determined by total and brazen manipulation in ways that other countries wouldn't dream of (see: Brian Mulroney buying memberships in Quebec which lead to Joe Clark dropping out before Mulroney was found out, or the Diefenbaker coup of 1966).

As I said, we have our own issues. Parliamentary systems have inherent flaws and that does play into how things work. The biggest one off the type of head is honestly the separatism poison. It's alienated Quebec and ultimately stifled progress there and that effects Canada Again, fuck the Bloc.

Tories get the vote because they can bamboozle moderates/centrists into believing that they're moderate-right and all of their victories have depended on that. Without the political centre being the majority of voters, Tories wouldn't get elected, it's just that simple.

And here's the thing: your idea that the absence of the NDP and Greens would coalesce to the remaining centre-left party is unsubstantiated, and makes even further assumptions that the Liberals would WANT the further-left vote instead of suppressing the far-left from the party so as to not be required to address their concerns, which is a hell of a lot easier to do and has happened in nearly every two-party system. The provincial NDP in most of the country where the Liberals do not succeed have hewed excessively closer to the centre than expected, so as to be indistinguishable from the federal Liberals (see: Notley, Romanow), despite being part of the same party apparatus as the federal NDP. It has also been exhibited in every other two-party country that the far left is stripped of a voice in politics to narrow the concerns of politicians closer to the centre to pick up as many voters in the moderate/centre majority of the regular voting population.

Instead of this utopian dream you describe, we'd likely end up with further disenfranchisement on both the left and (eventually) on the right, as well, followed by sub-50% election turnouts, as we see in the United States, which has suffered from a similar issue for much longer.

If you want the left to control politics, you just have to wait until the boomers die and for politics to become a battle between centrists/moderates and the far left, with the right wing being muscled into an irrelevant minority that could never achieve success. Because what you propose will not achieve what you think it will.

And your assumption that the Liberal party would want to suppress the further left from the party is also unsubstantiated. By design, the merger of the parties would almost require the party to shift left even further to retain those NDP and Green voters or else they risk another party forming and just going back to the way it was before, which would be what they don't want. I don't disagree that the Provincial NDP have been moving closer to the center than ever before, but that's all literally because the top two parties federally are mainly center left or right parties and that skews everyone towards the centre. The idea is to shift away from the center and keeping the status quo right now isn't going to do that. If the general electorate begins to shift to the left because of the merger of the three major left federal parties, the NDP provincially won't have to hew closer to the center than they are now.

I disagree about how you insist how elections will turn into the U.S just because we have two major parties. You can be damn sure that there are people who don't bother voting in these current elections because they are maybe, say, Green Party supporters who ultimately believe that their vote is not going to "matter" because they are in a riding contested by the Cons and the Liberals? But you're right. It's a utopian dream, so don't bother.

It isn't that simple though. You think that Conservatives are just boomers? That's cute. Believe it or not, Conservatives are more than just boomers. Shocker, I know. If you want to just wait until the boomers die off, you'll be in a rude awakening when you see that is makes no difference and we're still stuck in the same rut of us hoping a Conservative party that holds like 35% of the voting continues to win elections because of the vote split.

Last edited:

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Based on opinion polls, Liberals are expected to win. If they win with less than 170 seats, they will need a help from another party to form a minority government.

Kinsella being hired by the CPC to destroy Bernier is headlining the news of Radio-Canada this morning:

Someone just asked Scheer this and he handwaived it. He definitely had a hand in this.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Scheer in North York.

CBC News Alerts @CBCAlerts

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer campaigning today in Greater Toronto Area. WATCH LIVE: http://cbc.ca/1.5327581

11:11 AM - Oct 19, 2019

Katie Simpson @CBCKatie

Scheer is asked about the Warren Kinsella story - and whether the party hired him to do the party's dirty work attacking PPC and or liberals. Scheer says they never discuss who the party may or may not hire. Sticks to the line which the war room sent out yesterday.​

Scheer says he rejections the notion that Quebec is a "special child" in response to something the PC Premier of NB said yesterday.

Scheer is asked why he can't be transparent about who he hires (in relation to the dirt digging story) - says they don't talk about that sort of thing.

Scheer again is pressed about who he hired? Scheer says when it relates to party contracts they don't comment. Gets grilled on it. Won't answer.​

11:26 AM - Oct 19, 2019

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
Caz I read that story by Amy McPherson and I just can't follow the narrative.

The last paragraph:

I only read the history of the loser behind the Buffalo Chronicle and their attempts to own the Maid of the Mist or something.

Yeah I read through that whole thing for some reason. The whole feeling I get from this "free the press canada" site is not legitimate. Seems like a place that wants to be relevant so the piece comes off a bit hysterical and overblown. Yes, obviously there are tons of places manufacturing misinformation (Scheer's doing it himself) so I don't see what's so special about this Buffalo Chronicle place.

This gets a resounding 'meh' from me.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
So let me get this straight, Canada has about 60-70% of the population voting for three centre left - left leaning parties, yet still uses first past the post. Potentially letting 30% of population take the country in a direction no one voted for, is this something that will change? Seems broken
In the same way that there are Democrats that will vote Republican or simply not vote if faced with a choice between Trump and Bernie/Warren, there are Canadians who feel the same way. You can't just add up the numbers and assume the left is some cohesive unit.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
CBC's poll tracker looking goooood.

Also, it clearly demonstrates why FPTP is a joke: NDP getting 35 seats with 18.2% of the vote, and Bloc getting 40 seats with 7% of the vote, Green getting 2 seats with 8.2% of the vote. lol

Oct 25, 2017

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Three months after instituting a policy barring its chapters from affiliating with groups known to promote hate, the Royal Canadian Legion says it is investigating why one of its Toronto chapters hosted a Rebel News book event, saying "it never should have happened."

On Wednesday evening, the legion's North York chapter, Branch 66, hosted a signing for a book authored by Rebel News head, and self-styled "Rebel Commander," Ezra Levant.

Ahead of the event, the legion's national headquarters responded to tweets voicing concern over the planned event. "This goes against our anti-hate policy and the Provincial Commands have been notified," the legion tweeted.

Someone messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.