• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Guy spends all his time using social media to whip morons into a frenzy over his conspiracy theories, the moment something bad comes out he bails on all social media because he can't take the heat.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
/r/metacanada right now trying to contain the fighting:

DistantOldfashionedHarrier-size_restricted.gif

hahaha Top Secret!

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
After a decade or more, I've deactivated Twitter and Facebook. I've had it. I may be back on social media, I may not. I don't know
A professional cockroach.

All the journalists calling and texting: I get it. You have a job to do, and it's the final weekend. But I'm just not going to respond anymore. So stop trying. Sorry.
lol

Finally: I hold no party membership with anyone. I regard myself as an independent. As a firm, we have worked for every single political party – or candidates running under the banner of every single political party. Every one, except Bernier's. We don't help racists.

Any of you who are depicting Maxime Bernier as in any way a victim are assisting a racist. You are helping him. You should stop doing that.

That's all I've got to say. Comments are open – on this, my first and last platform – but keep it civil. Some civility would be nice, today.
"Comments are open", and all I see are CPC wankers so far.

In Canada, sedition, which includes speaking seditious words, publishing a seditious libel, and being party to a seditious conspiracy, is an indictable offense, for which the maximum punishment is of fourteen years' imprisonment.
It's not seditious to argue for Alberta separatism through the democratic process, anymore than for Quebec.

Anyway, this sort of talk is perennially on the lips of the more raving Albertans on the internet, including one of my cousins who works in the oil industry.

The thing that most amuses me about this sort of talk is how often they try to disguise Alberta sentiment as "Western" sentiment, imagining that everybody west of Ontario shares their opinions (which is especially funny considering their biggest dispute right now is with British Columbia).

LeantossUp is almost identical to Mainstreets.

If those numbers are accurate, but for the Bloc's mid-election resurrection this thing wouldn't even be close.

This would be a really interesting result. I suspect in the event of something like this you wouldn't see a formal coalition.
For all the media talk about coalitions, that has always been an improbable outcome even in a hung parliament. No party wants to share power unless they absolutely have to, and the Liberals wouldn't need to in this sort of scenario.

The NDP's biggest problem in terms of forcing the Liberals to form a coalition has always been that they can't plausibly threaten to swing their support elsewhere because an NDP/Conservative alliance makes no political sense. Thus, they kind of have to settle, in ordinary circumstances, for getting a bigger say in legislation.

I've been thinking about this, though -- if a recession starts in the near future, which a lot of economists seem to think will be the case, perhaps Singh could use that as a lever to insist on being brought into the government, since I doubt the Liberals would want to go to the polls in the middle of a recession. That might be a form of leverage the NDP usually doesn't have.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

This sort of shit shouldn't be allowed, it's pathetic.

well....bye.gif?

Pathetic, indeed. But yeah I agree, a company CEO shouldn't be allowed to try to influence the vote of his employees. I'd be so disgusted if my boss pulled shit like that.

In Canada, sedition, which includes speaking seditious words, publishing a seditious libel, and being party to a seditious conspiracy, is an indictable offense, for which the maximum punishment is of fourteen years' imprisonment.
Nah, advocating for separation (through peaceful means like a referendum, anyway) isn't sedition, otherwise the entire Quebec separation movement would be illegal, lol.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

Election watcher actually seems more realistic.

LTU has some unlikely scenarios from polling so far. Now maybe their model is able to pick up something the others aren't but they're still the outlier.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
At what point do we just look at all these polls as bullshit "will they / won't they"?

The polls have literally been 'on the fence' for the last two months or more, with random days with LPC in lead, then oh no look its flipped, CPC in the lead, and then hey look we're back at even! too close to call!

The same damn thing happened last election, no one expected a Liberal majority based on the polls because it's all BS.

The same thing is happening here. All these outlets can manufacture a dead heat to play into whatever narratives they want, but at the end of the day, they all end up 50/50 or close to that with a slight lean toward their publication's political ideology.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
At what point do we just look at all these polls as bullshit "will they / won't they"?

The polls have literally been 'on the fence' for the last two months or more, with random days with LPC in lead, then oh no look its flipped, CPC in the lead, and then hey look we're back at even! too close to call!

The same damn thing happened last election, no one expected a Liberal majority based on the polls because it's all BS.

The same thing is happening here. All these outlets can manufacture a dead heat to play into whatever narratives they want, but at the end of the day, they all end up 50/50 or close to that with a slight lean toward their publication's political ideology.

The trendline of the polls showed it was trending towards majority

Oct 27, 2017

That's not true. The polls were breaking Liberal late last election. I can't remember the names now, but I listened to a podcast in the last few days with two pollsters who were very confident about a Liberal majority.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe this will give you people hope. Maybe not. i don't know.

Liberals have net gained 2 points on the Bloc since the 17th.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
A lot more election ads this hockey night in Canada. Three Lib ones and one Conservative one so far.

The Conservative ad so misleading. Basically saying you'll pay more under a Liberal government and cites the Conservative universal tax cut. Neglects to mention that the Liberals are offering basically the same tax cut. lol

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the narrative last time the "strategic vote" by NDP though, to help push that?

It was niqab issue

Liberal and NDP were neck and neck and people wanted one or the other to break free

When the niqab issue happened, Mulcair deleted himself along with the conservatives and the Liberals just consumed every vote

That's why it became a majority is because it was an avalanche of people just saying to hell with that

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Is it still possible for PP to lose his?

I really hate that guy.

It's a long shot. The riding covers a lot of rural Ottawa. Not enough Barrhaven folks to tilt the scale.

Chretien was in my mother's riding supporting McKenna. Hopefully she can win re-election.

As Geddes says, a bit of a nostalgic photo..

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
McKenna has been so notable of a Minister it seems unbelievable that she wouldn't be re-elected though, it is notable that this was a 'safe' NDP seat for years and years (it's Ed Broadbent's old seat) so I suppose it could always be 'in play'. Should be one to keep an eye on on Election Night, if only to see how much of a margin she wins by.

Deleted member 5582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a long shot. The riding covers a lot of rural Ottawa. Not enough Barrhaven folks to tilt the scale.

Chretien was in my mother's riding supporting McKenna. Hopefully she can win re-election.

As Geddes says, a bit of a nostalgic photo..

Riverside South has grown a lot since the last election and driving around there I saw a lot more red signs on lawns than blue, and it was pretty close last election. I'd bet he's out the door.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
Hello y'all. This thread is pretty active, so I'm not sure if it was brought up, but some Canadian racists called into Info Wars recently to sell Alex Jones on Bernier. Alex was instantly convinced and started telling listeners that they needed to encourage their friends and family to vote for him, and US listeners to tell anyone in Canada they knew to vote for him also.

Edit: Info Wars is very likely reaching a minuscule audience at this point though, so it might not be that concerning.

Edit edit: Wait, I might have the wrong candidate. Lol. I'm super tired.

Edit x3: I was correct.

Last edited:

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
McKenna has been so notable of a Minister it seems unbelievable that she wouldn't be re-elected though, it is notable that this was a 'safe' NDP seat for years and years (it's Ed Broadbent's old seat) so I suppose it could always be 'in play'. Should be one to keep an eye on on Election Night, if only to see how much of a margin she wins by.

It was actually sad Paul Dewer lost his seat cause I liked him as a local MP, doubly so when he passed. That riding is heavy left but I think being a cabinet minister might help her.

Riverside South has grown a lot since the last election and driving around there I saw a lot more red signs on lawns than blue, and it was pretty close last election. I'd bet he's out the door.

So true, that neighbourhood has grown a lot since, and I know a lot of government workers who live there. That riding is weird though as it hooks north-west into Stittsville. It's odd driving down Terry fox and seeing Pierre's sign on the other side of the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.