• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Realistically, what can Trudeau say during tonight's debate that will push things back in their favor with Quebec? All Blanchet has to do is repeat Bill 21 over and over and ask how other parties are going to cave in to whatever Quebec wants. Either way, Blanchet wins and screws everything up. Scheer's blown it so badly with Quebec that he's not going to change any hearts or minds tonight in his favor.
Not much honestly. Trudeau will say something like "we have to respect minorities and not cause division". Then Blanchet will say "No, it's you that's causing division by not respecting the will of Quebec". Then Bloc voters will go "fuck yeah, let's become a country since no one respect us, woo" or whatever.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Not much honestly. Trudeau will say something like "we have to respect minorities and not cause division". Then Blanchet will say "No, it's you that's causing division by not respecting the will of Quebec". Then Bloc voters will go "fuck yeah, let's become a country since no one respect us, woo" or whatever.

Pretty much this. Blanchet not running to actually govern can turtle the entire debate and he'll always come out on top.

This is why I don't understand commentators fawning over his ability as an orator if what he's espousing is the separation from federation or defending a bill that's unpopular with the rest of the country.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Pretty much this. Blanchet not running to actually govern can turtle the entire debate and he'll always come out on top.

This is why I don't understand commentators fawning over his ability as an orator if what he's espousing is the separation from federation or defending a bill that's unpopular with the rest of the country.
Blanchet used to be a talent agent for singers, he's a backstage weasel

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
If peole think the NDP are going to usher in a new wave of politics and are above the fray from other mainstream parties then people are delusioning themselves. They do the same type of politics they accuse other parties of doing. They're just the same as other parties.

For clarity I speak of the misinformation campaign.

This could almost be a CPC ad, totally misconstrued the issue too.

I remember child care, I also remember Jack Layton helping to kill it.

And universal pharmacare sadly isn't as popular as it should be as many people are happy with their private insurance coverage.

Oct 27, 2017
In my riding the NDP are running an ad calling Trudeau a pretty boy who essentially wasn't as advertised and broke the law to help his "friends" in SNC. I thought it was a Conservative ad until the very end mentioned Singh. None of the parties are above this stuff.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry are we supposed to be shocked that the NDP is criticizing the Natural Governing Party?

*clutches pearls*

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
I'm sorry are we supposed to be shocked that the NDP is criticizing the Natural Governing Party?

*clutches pearls*

Seriously, just because the CPC criticizes Trudeau for something doesn't mean literally everything about it should be dismissed - some of the commentary here is just so dumb. Like, the idea that Trudeau is a mildly corrupt person more concerned with crafting a superficially woke political brand name is not some sort of inherently reactionary critique.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, just because the CPC criticizes Trudeau for something doesn't mean literally everything about it should be dismissed - some of the commentary here is just so dumb. Like, the idea that Trudeau is a mildly corrupt person more concerned with crafting a superficially woke political brand name is not some sort of inherently reactionary critique.

h8SXJfE.jpg

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
In my riding the NDP are running an ad calling Trudeau a pretty boy who essentially wasn't as advertised and broke the law to help his "friends" in SNC. I thought it was a Conservative ad until the very end mentioned Singh. None of the parties are above this stuff.
Haven't seen any of that from the Green. Maybe they have and I haven't caught it. It's part of their pledge not to engage in that type of politics though.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
You can call it demagoguery all you want, if you're complaining about something like "Wow, the NDP has an ad out calling Trudeau a pretty faced empty suit, corrupt politician who breaks his promises!" you're just describing a political ad that is, for what it's worth, probably true, in the first place. Trying to act like any criticism that doesn't fit your weird tone policed boundaries of the liberals because it could somehow empower other people (like the CPC) is ridiculous. It's a campaign and no party is above criticism.

"When you sound like the CPC you're doing something wrong!" is a dumb boundary because they're not the same and that only serves two purposes: First to try and equate the two parties which are ideologically complete opposites, and secondly to just stop all criticism altogether, which is more or less what happened whenever anyone tried talking about the whole blackface ordeal - anything that could hurt the Liberals is too dangerous for some people to talk about so then there's nothing to talk about.

"Why can't all criticism be calm where we all sit politely at the table" is just a line that defends the status quo.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I had to do OT at work so I'm already sleepy. I'll try to check the debate but I'll probably ZZZZ to it at this point. Guess I'll watch the highlights. Really low expectations all around. Knowing them all they are all going to try to appeal to voters because we are now in minority territories and about how voting for who you like will have the other guy winning. Thank You FPTP.

Shifty

Oct 28, 2017

So the liberals, like the conservatives, have a long track record of being buddy buddy with the elite of this country, and will continue to do what's in their best interest, but unlike the conservatives they will also throw out the bare minimum of actual progress for the rest of us.

Why does the fact it goes back years refute the claim?

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently the CPC candidate for Steveston Richmond East used the CPC candidate for Richmond Centre to debate for him recently.

Which made me scratch my head as to why?

And likewise, LPC signs here are getting vandalized/stolen, no different than other places.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
So the liberals, like the conservatives, have a long track record of being buddy buddy with the elite of this country, and will continue to do what's in their best interest, but unlike the conservatives they will also throw out the bare minimum of actual progress for the rest of us.

Why does the fact it goes back years refute the claim?

Because the claim is that all those donors directed money to Trudeau when that's not true. Did you not read the article?

Of course not.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the NDP. Basically the conservatives now 🙃

But seriously, yeah fuck em. It was nice having a normal pm, get ready for Scheer madness

Shifty

Oct 28, 2017
Because the claim is that all those donors directed money to Trudeau when that's not true. Did you not read the article?

Of course not.
The claim, per your own article, was they donated to justin and the liberals, which I interpreted to mean the overall party regardless of who is the leader at any given minute.

But I guess you have to take the most unfavorable interpretation in order to have a reason to get offended and insult me. Cute.

BTW even if the claim was just for Justin, how does that one gotcha absolve them from the overall criticism?

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
I mean, if you want to blame anyone, blame the Bloc. The NDP being at 15% is hardly robbing the Liberals of their apparently Heaven-granted right to form government.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Wait, I check back on this thread and apparently we're back to worrying about a CPC victory? I thought the Libs were still in comfortable majority territory. Something happen in the last few days?

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Wait, I check back on this thread and apparently we're back to worrying about a CPC victory? I thought the Libs were still in comfortable majority territory. Something happen in the last few days?

The Bloc may lead in Quebec now which severely hurts the Liberals potential seat count and this turn of fortunes is somehow a cause to yell about the NDP.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Wow thanks for the "fact check" CBC. You were able to 'debunk' the NDP on your own terms. Congrats.

Meanwhile in the real world of fucking course the Liberal government is best buds with large corporations and continues in pointless corporate welfare. Recall that $12M to Loblaws under the guises of environmentalism.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there an English version of tonight's debate streaming? Sadly, I don't think my French is strong enough to follow along in real time.

Status
Not open for further replies.