• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Not in my riding. Besides I couldn't bring myself to vote Liberal after they threw Electoral reform into the gutter. You don't make a HUGE promise like that only to do nothing. That is what causes people to lose faith in our democracy.
I had no choice because the NDP is irrelevant in my riding. It's always been a Liberal riding since its inception both federally and provincially until the OPC took it for the first time last year. I can't let the CPC do the same thing this year no matter how upset I am about electoral reform.

Last edited:

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Not in my riding. Besides I couldn't bring myself to vote Liberal after they threw Electoral reform into the gutter. You don't make a HUGE promise like that only to do nothing. That is what causes people to lose faith in our democracy.
I'm of the opinion that electoral reform was a crap idea to begin with. Or at least, major reform was. We don't want multiple parties emerging defending regional and sectorial interests. Or at least I don't. It could break the country. The way elections work right now makes it likely that a party which goes too far or gets unpopular will get thrown out. With a proportional system you would risk to keep them there much longer. Little parties like the PPC that brings divise and extreme political views can't get traction, which is good.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm of the opinion that electoral reform was a crap idea to begin with. Or at least, major reform was. We don't want multiple parties emerging defending regional and sectorial interests. Or at least I don't. It could break the country. The way elections work right now makes it likely that a party which goes too far or gets unpopular will get thrown out. With a proportional system you would risk to keep them there much longer. Little parties like the PPC that brings divise and extreme political views can't get traction, which is good.

This sort of view seems entirely submerged in fear than in reality. We already have a bone-fide right wing nutjob party that has a very real chance of taking control of this country despite only having a third of of Canadian voters casting their ballot for them.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I agree with that when one alternative is the crazies represent 5% of the seats vs the crazies commandeering a big tent party and winning majority governments with less than 40% of the vote a la CPC.

lol i'm sorry but it would have been defeated in a referendum anyway so who give a fuck about something that wouldn't even pass in the first place
Why would a referendum have been necessary? They spent the money on a nonpartisan committee for electoral reform which came to a conclusion: PR. What need is there for a referendum at that point? Though I suppose PMJT could have put one forward to shift the blame from himself to the general population.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Clueless American neighbor south of the BC border here. I really need to better understand your election process, is there a good primer online that would enlighten me? I get it's similar to how the UK does their elections, but still confused as to what this means for Trudeau and him being Prime Minister.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area

But under are current system parties like the PPC do get traction. They're ideas are absorbed by the larger parties. Scheer has no problem palling around with the Yellow Vests and Rebel Media. That's how those little parties end up dying. And our current system already has hah a rich history of regional parties like the Bloc and Reform Party. The only thing FPTP does is ensure the Tories can win without really winning and screwing over the two most leftist parties (NDP and Green).

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

If there's actually that many Canadians who would vote for parties of the nature you're describing, then I'd rather it all be out in the open and for them not to hide behind the current major federal parties. I honestly don't believe it's as big of a problem as you're imagining. You'd still need to have the most seats to form a government, and if the NDP voters no longer have to vote strategically, then the Liberals can't form government without the support of the NDP. I think that's a good thing.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice uptick for NDP, might make a near-future election look pretty interesting

I want them to re introduce voting reform as Ranked Ballots, I think it's easier to grasp than PR

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Clueless American neighbor south of the BC border here. I really need to better understand your election process, is there a good primer online that would enlighten me? I get it's similar to how the UK does their elections, but still confused as to what this means for Trudeau and him being Prime Minister.

We don't elect our PM. We elect Member of Parliaments (MPs) who then decide among themselves who should be PM. In theory MPs are meant to represent the people of their ridings but nowadays they're nothing but loyal party stooges. So if a party manages to elect the majority (169 MPs) they can govern as a majority. If not things get interesting and multiple parties are forced to negotiate so a minority government or collation government can govern. If they can't then another election is called.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
We don't directly vote for the Prime Minister, they're just the leader of the party that forms government (usually has the most seats). The leader of a party is elected by paid members of each party during a leadership convention. Anyone can be a paid member and it's usually a small amount (free for a Liberal membership and the others are $5-15 each).

who then decide among themselves who should be PM
No.

EDIT:
So if a party manages to elect the majority (169 MPs)
170 is a majority. 169 would equal a tie or even a minority if one of the members of that party is elected Speaker.

Last edited:

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

I want them to re introduce voting reform as Ranked Ballots, I think it's easier to grasp than PR

Wouldn't rank ballots effectively guarantee a Liberal government almost every time? The only thing it does right to me, is make it hard for Cons to win.

Trudeau says as much himself.

Trudeau said he preferred a rank ballot system for electoral reform, but decided to back away once he faced accusations it would have a disproportionate benefit for the Liberal Party.

Critics said that system favoured the Liberals too much, and Trudeau agreed, saying, it "favours parties who are good at reaching out to find common ground with broad groups of Canadians" and get second-choice votes.

"I'm not going near it," he said to a smattering of applause. "I'm not going to do something that everyone is convinced is going to favour one party over another."

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3976345

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
We don't elect our PM. We elect Member of Parliaments (MPs) who then decide among themselves who should be PM. In theory MPs are meant to represent the people of their ridings but nowadays they're nothing but loyal party stooges. So if a party manages to elect the majority (169 MPs) they can govern as a majority. If not things get interesting and multiple parties are forced to negotiate so a minority government or collation government can govern. If they can't then another election is called.

This is a highly cynical view, and maybe not the best explanation for somebody wanting to understand our electoral system...

who then decide among themselves who should be PM.

What are you talking about?

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle

We don't directly vote for the Prime Minister, they're just the leader of the party that forms government (usually has the most seats). The leader of a party is elected by paid members of each party during a leadership convention. Anyone can be a paid member and it's usually a small amount (free for a Liberal membership and the others are $5-15 each).

Thanks! That's how I thought it worked but wasn't 100% sure. So basically you're likely going to have a crazy situation come next week.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
You can say that about any voting system. It's going to benefit someone more risk the other as the the current system does.

He wouldn't do it as it would cause a shit storm with the right wing basically.

In an actual proportional representative system, it would result in elections where no one party can form a majority without forming a coalition with one or more parties. I get that the optics of a ranked ballot being implemented by the party it helps the most, is one of the reasons Trudeau dropped electoral reform. But it also seems to me that the liberals only wanted to fix the system if it resulted in a better situation than what they have now (the constant back and forth cycle they have with the CPC).

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
The thing to note about capital gains/losses is that because it is 50% of the actual gain/loss, the tax hit is usually a lot less than what most people think of it to be.

Like, for myself, it makes more sense to invest outside of an RRSP because my gains are taxed at half (ie. a capital of $1000 is taxed as $500 of my rate) -- whereas RRSP are taxed at 100% upon withdrawal.

As for the property thing, you have to talk to an actual tax advisor about that.

I think someone else may have responded to this, but no. I run the 'investing for retirement' thread on ResetEra and this is an extremely common mistake to make in regards to RRSPs. An RRSP is a tax-sheltered account, your gains are taxed at 0%. You are likely losing serious amounts of money by not using it.

The benefit of an RRSP is exactly the same as the TFSA, no tax on capital gains. People get all focussed on the tax deferment and that's really not what it's about.
Pretend you have $100,000 of income that you want to invest and that 30% of it would be taxed away (the specific numbers aren't important). And let's pretend it gains 50% before you withdraw it. We will also assume that you withdraw the amount over 2-3 years let's say.

TFSA: Tax happens, so you get $70,000 to invest. You withdraw once it has gained 50% so now you have $105,000. TFSA withdrawals don't count as income so you still have your $105,000 at the end.

RRSP: Tax is deferred so $100,000 is invested. 50% gained so you're up to $150,000. Assuming your tax rate is still 30% as you withdraw (it's likely lower in retirement) and you end up with.......$105,000. Identical to the TFSA case.

Non-sheltered: Tax happens, $70,000 to invest. Gains 50% so you have $105,000 (capital gains of $35,000). Same as before we assume your tax rate is still 30%. Capital gains is, as you say, 50% so your tax rate on your capital gains is 15%. This leaves you with $99,750. Less than the tax-sheltered cases (which makes sense). And that's with only $100,000. You can see the repercussions when there are serious amounts of money involved.

This is simplified so that I don't have to deal with tax brackets, but believe me, it is factual. The RRSP investing results would be different of course if your tax rates were different at withdrawal then at deposit. This is generally why people say to target the TFSA while you're starting your career and then do RRSP when you're at a decently high tax rate. Of course do both if you can. You will almost certainly be at a lower tax rate in retirement in which case the RRSP becomes the BEST place to invest.

Now there are some complications vis-a-vis RRSP counting as income and potentially affecting OAS/GIS clawbacks but that's more of a drawdown strategy thing than something deciding where to invest.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017

Ranked ballots is what PMJT wanted, the committee said otherwise which is apparently why he turfed it.

yeah let force a new voting system without letting people vote about it i'm sure that won't backfire... beside your dear NDP wanted a referendum
People did vote for it; Liberals got a mandate with that as part of their platform. "My dear NDP" lol I can tell you've been reading poli era for a while now /s.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
It'd be nice if we had a multiple step voting system where parties would get eliminated at each round. The issue with such a system is voter turn out and campaign length tho.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I think someone else may have responded to this, but no. I run the 'investing for retirement' thread on ResetEra and this is an extremely common mistake to make in regards to RRSPs. An RRSP is a tax-sheltered account, your gains are taxed at 0%. You are likely losing serious amounts of money by not using it.

The benefit of an RRSP is exactly the same as the TFSA, no tax on capital gains. People get all focussed on the tax deferment and that's really not what it's about.
Pretend you have $100,000 of income that you want to invest and that 30% of it would be taxed away (the specific numbers aren't important). And let's pretend it gains 50% before you withdraw it. We will also assume that you withdraw the amount over 2-3 years let's say.

TFSA: Tax happens, so you get $70,000 to invest. You withdraw once it has gained 50% so now you have $105,000. TFSA withdrawals don't count as income so you still have your $105,000 at the end.

RRSP: Tax is deferred so $100,000 is invested. 50% gained so you're up to $150,000. Assuming your tax rate is still 30% as you withdraw (it's likely lower in retirement) and you end up with.......$105,000. Identical to the TFSA case.

Non-sheltered: Tax happens, $70,000 to invest. Gains 50% so you have $105,000 (capital gains of $35,000). Same as before we assume your tax rate is still 30%. Capital gains is, as you say, 50% so your tax rate on your capital gains is 15%. This leaves you with $99,750. Less than the tax-sheltered cases (which makes sense). And that's with only $100,000. You can see the repercussions when there are serious amounts of money involved.

This is simplified so that I don't have to deal with tax brackets, but believe me, it is factual. The RRSP investing results would be different of course if your tax rates were different at withdrawal then at deposit. This is generally why people say to target the TFSA while you're starting your career and then do RRSP when you're at a decently high tax rate. Of course do both if you can. You will almost certainly be at a lower tax rate in retirement in which case the RRSP becomes the BEST place to invest.

Now there are some complications vis-a-vis RRSP counting as income and potentially affecting OAS/GIS clawbacks but that's more of a drawdown strategy thing than something deciding where to invest.

Sorry, I should've clarified: the gains in the account are not taxed yes, but they're definitely taxed at income upon withdrawal. But the last point was what I was mainly addressing: it's not so much that the RRSP is a bad investment vehicle, but the mixture of CCP/OAS and potentially pensions that cause issues.

As I said in another post: it's the scenario of being taxed at a higher tax bracket upon retirement that makes RRSP unattractive for some people. But that should be for another thread.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, Horgan could've just rammed electoral reform in instead of the referendum no one cared about. And he's totally gung ho for not only TMX but for LNG fracking up in Kitimat.

BC is due for a mega quake and it'll probably come sooner with all the fracking off the coast, which will generate CO2 emissions that is about 860,000 cars added on the road.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017

I honestly dunno wtf point Milligan is trying to make here since that list is 100% in alignment with what the BC NDP promised.

Is he trying to make some point about the ineffectiveness of the BC Greens at changing NDP policy?

Bizarre tweet.

Edit: for those not from BC that didn't follow the election:

The NDP never promised to cancel Site C, were always pro LNG development, and followed through on their electoral reform promise, which was to have a referendum and campaign on the side of reform.

Halting LNG and basic income were Green promises.

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Essentially, imagine if Congress got to choose who was president after every congressional election.
(Also we don't have an elected Senate).

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't rank ballots effectively guarantee a Liberal government almost every time? The only thing it does right to me, is make it hard for Cons to win.

It looks this way on the surface, but I think there's plenty of opportunities for the Conservatives to do well in a ranked ballot system. As we've discussed in this thread there are many ridings across Canada that are not direct Lib/Conservative contests, where Liberals aren't gonna benefit from ranked ballots. There are also plenty of 'blue liberals' out there that'd mark Conservatives as their second choice after the Liberals.

The main thing that ranked ballots does is benefit big tent centrist parties and that is both the Liberals and the Conservatives.

yeah let force a new voting system without letting people vote about it i'm sure that won't backfire... beside your dear NDP wanted a referendum

The NDP members of the committee actually released a minority report which asserted that there was actually no need to have a referendum and they were game to support simply implementing a PR system if the Liberals were. The Liberals weren't.

Let's be very clear on what happened here:
  • Trudeau said 2015 was going to be the last election under FPTP (this suggests no referendum)
  • The Conservatives on the committee were against anything unless there was a referendum
  • The NDP were in favour of PR
  • The Liberals were against any change since they just won a huge majority.
  • 88% of experts said PR best fixed Canada's various problems
  • Since the Liberals on the committee stonewalled, the NDP and Conservative members wrote a majority report in favour of a PR referendum since it was the only consensus available.
  • Trudeau didn't get the Ranked Ballot outcome he wanted from the start so he cancelled electoral reform. (Ergo Trudeau's election promise was a lie for those keeping track)

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown

Walking things back and equivocating is the most recognizable thing Singh does. He doesn't have any positions that he stands for with integrity. Singh's NDP campaign is all about what sells in the moment.

Singh on impeachment "Trump should be impeached" later "That was tongue in cheek" next day "It wasn't a joke."
"Canada is racist!" next day "That language isn't helpful."

Singh is completely full of shit. He's untrustworthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.