• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These are going to be the longest and most agonizing two months ever...

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Ontario election in 2018 has kind of hinted that their is a ceiling in NDP support if they couldn't win against Ford. With the Greens eating their lunch I don't see them coming back until multiple cycles from now. If at all.

I feel like many green party voters would be shocked to find out the party is not as "left-wing" as they think, that they would be even to the right of the NDP on any issues that does not involve the environment.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like many green party voters would be shocked to find out the party is not as "left-wing" as they think, that they would be even to the right of the NDP on any issues that does not involve the environment.

Yah, I agree. I think there's still a lot of wiggle room for all parties during campaign season. So we'll see what happens.

In other news, when your predecessor thinks you're full of shit

I was in his riding too.

Isn't he in danger of losing his seat? Nothing would please me more.

I have no idea, I don't know what the latest numbers is for him or the last results. Doesn't he cover Manotick? It's nothing but rich people with water front property there so I think it's staying CPC.

Last edited:

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017

Well it's certainly election season all right.

Liberals continue spending frenzy on eve of election call: $2.8B last week

Federal Liberal ministers and MPs continued their cross-country spending announcement tour last week, making 330 spending commitments on everything from fixing up bus stops in London, Ont., to building new dressing rooms at a hockey rink in western P.E.I., to funding a youth exchange program to be run by Tides Canada.

Those 330 spending commitments made from Aug. 19 to Aug. 25 total $2.85 billion.

For the week before that — Aug. 11-18 — Liberal MPs and ministers made 595 spending commitments worth a total of $4.9 billion.

Under Canada's fixed-date elections law, the earliest Prime Minister Justin Trudeau could call this fall's election would be Sept. 1 and the latest would be Sept. 15. Once he calls the election, all those spending announcements would stop.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
A former co-worker of mine announced she's running for the Conservatives and I'm so disappointed in her. She's an accountant by trade and is big on fiscal conservatism. But to get into bed with Scheer and those freaks leaves a bad taste in the mouth

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

I think their environment plan is basically set a bunch of targets and incentives and let the free market solve it.

A former co-worker of mine announced she's running for the Conservatives and I'm so disappointed in her. She's an accountant by trade and is big on fiscal conservatism. But to get into bed with Scheer and those freaks leaves a bad taste in the mouth

I hate that term. I wish it could be called the BS it really is.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
The one thing about conservatives are that they have no qualms joining the fray rubbing shoulders with discount nazis if it means they can make a buck.

Deleted member 5582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since Trudeau reneged on his promise to end FPTP once again Canadians will once again have to vote strategically make a big guess to ensure that their local Conservative MP doesn't win. Good luck everyone!

That's paying off quite well for them
ANyO6sE.jpg

Potential to win a majority with fewer votes and <33%

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That's paying off quite well for them
ANyO6sE.jpg

Potential to win a majority with fewer votes and <33%

Careful what you wish for. In Canada 30% is Majority territory depending on how the vote splits. Conservatives can still win without a plurality of the vote and when they eventually do (and it is eventually) you'll be wishing we had an electoral system that doesn't let the Conservatives win a Majority Government with only 30% of the vote.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Careful what you wish for. In Canada 30% is Majority territory depending on how the vote splits. Conservatives can still win without a plurality of the vote and when they eventually do (and it is eventually) you'll be wishing we had an electoral system that doesn't let the Conservatives win a Majority Government with only 30% of the vote.

Agreed. No matter what party you support, I think we can all agree no one should have 100% control of the Government with only 30% of the votes.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I'm pretty sure my riding is LPC safe. ;)
(My MP is Chrystia Freeland)

With that said, I really dislike the CPC slogan, It comes off as '*k others, be selfish' to me. =|

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Trudeau should give Ford a big hug if this keeps up. lmao

Just flashing this image up everyday on twitter will guarantee a liberal win. Thank you Paul Wells/Macleans.

Dailies_W8D3.jpg

I'm pretty sure my riding is LPC safe. ;)
(My MP is Chrystia Freeland)

With that said, I really dislike the CPC slogan, It comes off as '*k others, be selfish' to me. =|

You lucky duck. I'm in the suburbs so I'm not really sure. But I share the same MP as this local music star.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Added the slogan for the "P"PC.
Nitpick: Why is the CPC mentioned last when it has the second most MPs elected?

Also, why isn't the CPC slogan accurate? OP is as biased as it comes.
I'm not going to pretend that what the CPC is doing, following the global trend of embracing right-wing demagoguery, is normal just to be "fair and balanced". I have my issues with the other major parties but they do not compare to the CPC. The only thing I regret in the OP that I might change is the part about the Bloc because, as amusing as the party's current predicament may be, I have zero tolerance for separatist sentiments from the provinces, be it Quebec or the current flames that Kenney is currently stoking in Alberta.

Also if you think i'm "as biased as it comes", you must be new here.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I assume Liberals will get a minority.

Greens are a joke, they need to be ejected from Ottawa.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'm glad it looks like Ford fucked em but all that matters is voting day. So I'll never think it's a done deal.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Has anyone gotten a text from Conservative Party asking whether they can "count" on you to vote for them?

Anyway, I disliked how SNC Lavalin turned out and there is no excusing it. And yet I must vote Liberal in our current isolationist and tumultuous times.

PPC's unofficial slogan :

818L4gz.jpg

"Say no to mass immigration"

I remember reading an article from CBC mentioning this popping up in Nova Scotia and the party leader said that it was no paid for by him. So, does anyone know whether we are being lied to or getting fucked by some external power's disinformation campaign?

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

First, there are the vote considerations most Canadians make combined with top issues and policies. We know that a majority of Canadian voters say they vote primarily for a party's policies and platform (60.2 per cent) followed by party leader (18.6) and lastly the local candidate (12). We know from our past work that the environment has now surpassed the economy as the top issue in this election, but the economy is still a close second.

It's not too surprising then that Liberal and Green fortunes are up on the environmental policies, but why has the NDP not benefited from this trend?

Conservatives have been consistently a close second or slightly leading in most polls, but less than two in 10 Canadians tell us they don't believe climate change is real and man made, so that cannot be the only base of support. Economic anxieties around carbon taxes and the cost of living are driving the rest of the vote, and, despite a strong economy on most measures, we know Canadians are less optimistic about the economy than they were a year ago. Again, the NDP has also addressed the high cost of living and housing affordability issues in their platform, but this isn't increasing their support.

For those voting on party leader primarily, we see Trudeau well ahead but less so than he was a year ago. His brand has no doubt taken a hit from prolonged negative headlines, mostly about the SNC-Lavalin affair.

Scheer has less appeal among those voters, but far better than where he was a year ago, so a strong campaign, including a great debate performance, might be enough to change that trend.

Singh and May are on opposite trend lines in this category: May is ahead of Singh, and increasing, while Singh is fading. This might point to why NDP policies aren't having the same effect. While over 60 per cent told us policies and platform was their most important factor, we know it's not the only factor in determining their vote.

Star candidates do matter, and on that front larger parties do better. The NDP, though, is having recruitment difficulties and that factor may be depressing support among these candidate voters.

Those factors alone make for a complicated equation on forecasting outcomes, but other factors play an even larger role in that volatility.

Behavioural science tells us that humans make decisions very quickly, and rarely do choices made involve the rational part of the human brain. With that in mind, I have to assume that all Canadians know right now how they will vote, but more important in determining the outcome is the other important decision Canadians face: Will they vote? Again, our most recent data shows that over a quarter of people who tell us they will vote say they'd back a "none of the above" option if they could. The apathetic vote can be mobilized and what happens during the campaign will be used by Canadians to rationalize those decisions, whether to vote, and for whom.

Beyond motivating their base and organizational capacity that drive voter turnout, there is the distinct possibility of strategic voting. Almost two thirds of Canadians (62 per cent) told us recently that they would consider voting strategically to stop the party they disagree with most. That may be part of what is driving NDP declines and resurging Liberal fortunes, but the Greens and People's Party continue to show pockets of strength that may be the x-factor in determining the outcome on Oct. 21.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Has anyone gotten a text from Conservative Party asking whether they can "count" on you to vote for them?

Anyway, I disliked how SNC Lavalin turned out and there is no excusing it. And yet I must vote Liberal in our current isolationist and tumultuous times.

I remember reading an article from CBC mentioning this popping up in Nova Scotia and the party leader said that it was no paid for by him. So, does anyone know whether we are being lied to or getting fucked by some external power's disinformation campaign?

I wouldn't trust anything Maxime Bernier says on this. Even if we give him the benefit of the doubt, these are his actual thoughts, policies and what he wants. He's pretty clear about that and has been clear for years.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I wouldn't trust anything Maxime Bernier says on this. Even if we give him the benefit of the doubt, these are his actual thoughts, policies and what he wants. He's pretty clear about that and has been clear for years.

Thanks.

I did back in June, I live in Alberta

Hi, it's Sarah from the Conservative Party. Can the Conservative Party count on your support in the next federal election? Reply: Yes No

YES! Sinister Sarah texted me too! I got the the text on Aug 15, here in St. John's.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

The "official" story right now is that True North Strong and Free Advertising Corp, a third party advertising firm registered back in 2016, did it of their own volition, but the head of the advertising firm is the CEO of a number of mining companies who has done fundraising for Bernier in the past due to his support for their mining plans in Northern Ontario.

They're now holding the stance that they never actually "approved" the billboard and somehow it slipped through, and Bernier, while maintaining he still had nothing to do with it, still supports the sentiment.

So it's very likely a rich mining executive who decided to stoke anti-immigration sentiment in order to shore up support from the politician who's going to help them rape the land for resources, did not expect nearly the amount of blowback they got and are trying to backtrack.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The "official" story right now is that True North Strong and Free Advertising Corp, a third party advertising firm registered back in 2016, did it of their own volition, but the head of the advertising firm is the CEO of a number of mining companies who has done fundraising for Bernier in the past due to his support for their mining plans in Northern Ontario.

They're now holding the stance that they never actually "approved" the billboard and somehow it slipped through, and Bernier, while maintaining he still had nothing to do with it, still supports the sentiment.

So it's very likely a rich mining executive who decided to stoke anti-immigration sentiment in order to shore up support from the politician who's going to help them rape the land for resources, did not expect nearly the amount of blowback they got and are trying to backtrack.

That's disgusting. Thanks for the heads up.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Don't believe any of his campaign's backpedalling.
The People's Party of Canada did not place the ads, but Bernier said at his national campaign launch Sunday that he agrees with the message.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...billboard-immigration-peoples-party-1.5107132

Bernier leads a party of hate.

Edit: I should have refreshed the page, whoops.

Status
Not open for further replies.