• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
John Oliver will probably do this better than I can in a couple of weeks but here goes:
w9Qwd9B.png

The Main Parties & Platforms

The Liberal Party of Canada
The "natural governing party of Canada" that's currently in power with a majority government, the Liberal Party is currently led by Justin Trudeau. Once leading significantly in the polls, the Liberal Party's support has significantly dropped due to various gaffes such responding to a protester who asked them about the indigenous victims of mercury poisoning (something that the provincial government of Ontario knew about for decades) with "thank you for your donation", a series of broken promises like electoral reform and lifting the MSM blood ban, and, most recently, the SNC-Lavalin scandal that has significantly damaged the reputation of the current Prime Minister.

Campaign Slogan: Choose Forward
Campaign Platforms: https://2019.liberal.ca/our-platform/

The New Democratic Party of Canada
The party of Tommy Douglas and Jack Layton, the New Democratic Party is currently being led by Jagmeet Singh. Under Singh's leadership, the NDP has lost several including Outremont, the riding formerly held by the previous leader Tom Mulcair. They are largely expected to lose many of the seats it currently holds in Quebec and have been polling slightly ahead of or on par with...

Campaign Slogan: In it for you
Campaign Platform: https://www.ndp.ca/commitments

The Green Party of Canada

Often viewed as a one-issue party, the Green Party, currently led by Elizabeth May, has surged in the polls from single to double digits, a previously unfounded level of support that is unlikely to turn into a significantly higher seat count due to Canada's FPTP voting system so I won't add much more other than their surge alongside other polling data, a priority which is not shared by...

Campaign Slogan: Not left. Not right. Forward together.
Main Platforms: https://www.greenparty.ca/en/platform

The Conservative Party of Canada
Last and certainly the least (of the three main parties), the CPC has reflected on its loss during the 2015 election, an election where their campaign was often criticized for the Islamophobia and outright bigotry such as advocating for a "barbaric cultural practices hotline", and decided that the best course of action was to hire Hamish Marshall, the founding director of the far-right propaganda website known as The Rebel, as the campaign manager for the CPC in addition to bringing several other people with questionable backgrounds like Stephen Taylor, who has ties to a white supremacist subreddit, who is currently the party's Digital Director. They're currently led by Andrew Scheer, a somehow even more robotic version of Stephen Harper than Stephen Harper who is good friends with the aforementioned co-founder of a website that has featured Gavin McInnes and Faith Goldy, among other heinous individuals. This is not to say the CPC's open courting of the far right has been relegated to the people running the campaign; the CPC has recently chosen a candidate that Doug Ford's PCs rejected over their history of Islamophobia and homophobia. You can see why this thread got the above banner image. I could go on but i'm saving the most horrendous stuff involving the CPC for a video on the Canadian election that will be out closer to the election.

Oh and they're currently polling around the same level as the LPC (they're within the margin or error) and above the NDP and Greens combined.

Campaign Slogan: Pull Up Yer' Bootstraps
Main Platforms: Not being linked in case the above didn't make that clear.

The Bloc Quebecois
Currently lead by Yves-François Blanchet, the Bloc is the only major political party to advocate for sovereignty, specifically Quebec sovereignty. The party has fallen far from the days when it dominated the province on the federal level and has been experiencing what could be best described as pure chaos since 2015, going through a brief revolt whereby the majority of the MPs left to form "Québec Debout" only for the revolting members to rejoin the Bloc and two leadership elections, neither of which saw more than one person run for the role.

The ""People's"" Party of Canada
lfmvqI2.png

Polls & Projections
LjP677t.png

See Éric Grenier's poll tracker for the most recent polls and current projections: https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/
For polling in your own riding, see 338 Canada for details: http://338canada.com/

More links will be provided closer to the election.

The Debates
As per the Leaders' Debates Commission, there will be two (thankfully Bernier-free) debates in October, one in English one in French.
English: October 7, 2019
French: October 10, 2019

When & Where to Vote
image.jpg

Unless an election is called early or triggered via a motion of no confidence, the next federal election is scheduled for October 21st, 2019. On Election Day, you can vote for your local MP at the following:
-At a local voting station. Locations can be found here
-At your local Canada Elections office
-By mail if living abroad

If you're looking for advanced voting station availability, please see Elections Canada for more information. Make sure you're registered and bring your ID when you go to vote! If you're registered to vote but you don't have any other form of government-issued ID like a driver's license, you'll receive a voter ID card via the mail the upcoming weeks that can be used when you got to a voting station. If you aren't registered or aren't sure if you're registered, consider visiting Elections Canada to rectify or check respectively.

Last edited:

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
The Liberals better not fuck this up. Alberta's a lost cause. Hopefully they run up the score massively in Ontario!.

edit - good OT btw.

May 30, 2018
Great write up. Surprised theres only 2 debates. Felt like there was a decent amount last election

And, to get it out of the way before we get some concern trolls in here crying about Scheer/CPC being close in the polls to Trudeau/LPC and thus we're doomed, remember: Doug Ford & by extension, the Conservatives are DEEPLY unpopular in Ontario, where a large % of seats come from, so it's actually very hard for Scheer to form government. Not to mention Quebec, the second most populous province, is also leaning LPC

The Conservatives are just running up the score in Alberta & Saskatchewan for the popular vote

Prediction: LPC Majority

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ford fucked over the CPC. Ontario will vote red.

Prediction: LPC majority.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
The Liberals better not fuck this up. Alberta's a lost cause. Hopefully they run up the score massively in Ontario!.

edit - good OT btw.

I know plenty of people who are going to vote Conservative federally despite Ford fucking up Ontario. Sigh.

This election sucks. Trudeau is a snide self-righteous dingbat who sometimes says the right things and has his heart in the right place in general, but who is also running on not being Andrew Scheer, which isn't great. I really want him to address the housing prices crisis, electoral reform, and explain how the carbon tax works and what its intentions are. Or show more boldness in combating climate change.

Fuck it. Voting Liberal but all the choices aren't great. Bernier and Scheer are a special kind of bad, though, and stand out as the shittiest of the shitty.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Every Canadian needs to do everything in their power to prevent the Cons from forming government. No whining about purity tests, no complaining about not finding the perfect candidate, no boohooing because you feel unmotivated. Tough shit. Suck it up and make sure Canada doesn't join the other parts of the world turning our planet into a literal dumpster fire. The Liberals must win this fall. I don't care if you hate them. So whether that means voting for the Libs, or the Greens, or the NDP, in order to block every Con seat possible, do it, and tell everyone else to do it too.

P.S. Anyone who votes for the Cons are bigots and morons. That includes grandmas!

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Great write up. Surprised theres only 2 debates. Felt like there was a decent amount last election

And, to get it out of the way before we get some concern trolls in here crying about Scheer/CPC being close in the polls to Trudeau/LPC and thus we're doomed, remember: Doug Ford & by extension, the Conservatives are DEEPLY unpopular in Ontario, where a large % of seats come from, so it's actually very hard for Scheer to form government. Not to mention Quebec, the second most populous province, is also leaning LPC

The Conservatives are just running up the score in Alberta & Saskatchewan for the popular vote

Prediction: LPC Majority
Your post makes me hopeful. Let's hope it turns out this way.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
trudeau survived the scandal and the tories sure as fuck aren't winning ontario. we're getting another liberal government and that's fine by me. staving off conservative craziness for at least one more cycle. but they'll get back in eventually, unfortunately.

and as we've seen with ford and other conservative governments all over the world, all they need is that one turn to do a whole lot of fucking damage. bracing for when that time comes crawling again.

torontoml

Oct 25, 2017
I almost feel like not voting since I live in northern Alberta and the result is a foregone conclusion.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Let's not rest on our laurels and assume Justin has this in the bag because Doug Ford is a political disaster (as we all knew he would be).

We can do our part in this thread to highlight any and all competitive ridings to ensure that even folks in ridings where the Conservatives are favored to know best where to place their votes to keep them out of power... be it for the Liberals in ridings they can realistically win or for the NDP or Green candidate with the best possibility of playing spoiler in ridings they cannot.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
my riding (Laurier-Ste-Marie) is a three way fight between NDP vs Liberals vs Bloc Quebecois. (Conservatives are actually in 5th place here LOL)

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada

Liberals are gaining in my riding (Vaughan-Woodbridge) but there are a lot of rich and religious people in my area so it will be tough. Unfortunately, I can't vote because I am not eligible for my citizenship until 2021 but I'll try to persuade people I know that can vote. Got my PR last year.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Cons are going to get clobbered.
Canada saw that the Ontario Conservatives acted like they had a strong mandate and cut services and oversight recklessly when most people just wanted things basically the same. Cons proved they won't be open about their plans and can't be trusted with authority.

In BC the federal Liberals managed to thread the needle and get the Transmountain through. Doing it lost them the coastal vote and island to the Greens or NDP and even the voters in general a little pissed off but BC does not want to be messed with further. The Consevatives are giving the impression that they're going to push for more than BC is willing to give, upend environmental laws that passed. Things are at an uneasy balance between resource and environment here. Anything too anti-environment that could weaken BC laws and the right leaning NIMBYs will rebel against the Cons.

Nationally, I think Canada is going to surprise. Not a surprise with a Liberal majority which is expected but the Conservatives are going to completely fall apart and there will be a Green opposition.

Oct 25, 2017

Liberals are gaining in my riding (Vaughan-Woodbridge) but there are a lot of rich and religious people in my area so it will be tough. Unfortunately, I can't vote because I am not eligible for my citizenship until 2021 but I'll try to persuade people I know that can vote. Got my PR last year.

That is just a projection, don't read anything into it at this point

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say maybe Bernier could siphon off votes from the PCs, but there aren't any PC votes in Quebec, and I'm not convinced he'd get traction in Anglo Canada.

Liberal minority, with a Green/NDP coalition needed.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I'm terrified.

Let's go Liberals. Get 'er done.

(Making sure to vote strategically. Most of my family is in a "CPC leaning" riding with a current LPC MP, so I'll be encouraging them all to make sure to vote Liberal. My other sister is in an NDP leaning riding, so NDP it is for her)

Block the cons for all we're worth, Canada.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Really hope the Liberals pull another majority and show that the world trend to hard right politics isn't going to negatively affect Canada too. I hope people see the bullshit in Ontario and soon Alberta and see that Scheer is someone who shouldn't represent Canada, especially in a time like this.

Trudeau and his party have made some dumb mistakes, but not anywhere near enough to lose the confidence of the country.

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Nitpick: Why is the CPC mentioned last when it has the second most MPs elected?

Also, why isn't the CPC slogan accurate? OP is as biased as it comes.

As for the election, I hope it results in a minority government, whichever way it goes. Trudeau hasn't been terrible, but equally he hasn't made optimal use of his absolute majority in parliament.

Deleted member 56069

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Cons are going to get clobbered.
Canada saw that the Ontario Conservatives acted like they had a strong mandate and cut services and oversight recklessly when most people just wanted things basically the same. Cons proved they won't be open about their plans and can't be trusted with authority.

In BC the federal Liberals managed to thread the needle and get the Transmountain through. Doing it lost them the coastal vote and island to the Greens or NDP and even the voters in general a little pissed off but BC does not want to be messed with further. The Consevatives are giving the impression that they're going to push for more than BC is willing to give, upend environmental laws that passed. Things are at an uneasy balance between resource and environment here. Anything too anti-environment that could weaken BC laws and the right leaning NIMBYs will rebel against the Cons.

Nationally, I think Canada is going to surprise. Not a surprise with a Liberal majority which is expected but the Conservatives are going to completely fall apart and there will be a Green opposition.
If this were to happen I'd have no issues. Sounds good to me.

Deleted member 4372

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Mike Crawley @CBCQueensPark

Senior federal Conservatives are telling CBC's ⁦@VassyKapelos⁩ that Ontario Premier Doug Ford is dragging down support for their party and Andrew Scheer. #cdnpoli #onpoli #canadavotes #elxn43 https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-votes-newsletter-issue20-ford-factor-battleground-ontario-election-1.5258303 …

6:14 PM - Aug 25, 2019

FHjjer7.jpg

Keep circulating that picture. One and the same! Scheer idiocy!

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I justed started a new career and I'm kind of curious to find out about the political leanings of my coworkers. We're a pretty large group with varied age groups.Though, I don't want to poke around too much because I know someone will go on a long diatribe. I sometimes overhear these political diatribes being initiated unprovoked.

We're unionized and the union is pretty substantial in size so I'm also curious what their endorsement ends up being.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I hate them all but liberals it is I guess. Hate is a strong word for the Green Party. Don't care about them.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
This was posted in the other thread but needs to be re-iterated here. An issue the Liberals keep "raising" for some reason or other.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Double post sorry. But here is a thread of the most current polling data from each pollster.

Relative deviation.

And seat projections.

simplayer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely voting as a Canadian abroad this time. I'm not sure what riding I'll be in, but hopefully it makes some difference in stopping the rightward shift in Canadian politics

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
God, I hope Ontario is still angry enough at Ford to block the Cons.

A Sheer + Ford world is terrifying.

Evo Shandor

Oct 29, 2017
Cool topic, OP.

As it currently stands, I predict a minority government for the Liberals. Be prepared to see a lot more Conservative support come out of the woodwork as Scheer beats the SNC Lavalin drum ad nauseum. Most people are just now starting to pay attention or have not yet started paying attention so there is still a lot of room for growth for all parties.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

As for the election, I hope it results in a minority government, whichever way it goes. Trudeau hasn't been terrible, but equally he hasn't made optimal use of his absolute majority in parliament.

Anyone who votes conservative is a racist, bigot, or willing to excuse people who are. They have increasingly embraced the same rhetoric our Republican friends south of the border have openly adopted.

That's how it is at this point. Nothing the OP has said is inaccurate.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017

No one should ever be considering voting for the cons, so making a joke or of them should be fine.

Deleted member 7777

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we take a moment to marvel at the Liberal and Con ads that came out yesterday? Smarmy douche vs souless robot.

I predict a Liberal minority and we'll be back to the polls in two years.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Mississauga-Malton reporting in.

Will be voting Liberal, they should win pretty comfortably.

Pretty sad to see the collapse of the NDP, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.