• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
So can someone explain to me why BC are supporting the Cons in such a way? I'm guessing Trudeau buying the pipeline has them pissed at him, so they respond with wanting to put the fucking Cons into power. Huh? 😳

The NE of BC is essentially 'Greater Alberta' and its economy is reliant on resource extraction (gas).

There are other ridings (generally ex-urban to rural) in BC where religious conservatism is a factor and urban oriented policies are irrelevant (eg. Abbotsford)

And then you have the usual thing of 'Fuck you got mine' rich urban communities (eg. West Vancouver)

Put all that together and yeah there's a lot of ridings that can pivot to the Conservatives.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Trudeau made a massive political miscalculation on that one, eh? Handing a major favour to a province that has an unwavering hatred of the Liberal Party hard-coded into their genes by upsetting a province that's traditionally left-leaning.
This poll is a bit inconsistent with other polls. Not just BC but even with the couple minor announcements with the Greens and NDP it's a big difference with other polls. Add it as usual, don't get excited unless there was big things going on to support it.

Map of the last election. Island looks to be going Green. South East will probably stay NDP. Northwest doesn't seem likely to go Con. Southcentral is going to be close. Okanagan-Similkameen was almost flipped to Liberal last time.
Nafta and pipeline starting would make a huge positive difference for the Libs on holding and gaining seats.
o-BC-ELECTION-MAP-2015-570.jpg
The NE of BC is essentially 'Greater Alberta' and its economy is reliant on resource extraction (gas).

There are other ridings (generally ex-urban to rural) in BC where religious conservatism is a factor and urban oriented policies are irrelevant (eg. Abbotsford)

And then you have the usual thing of 'Fuck you got mine' rich urban communities (eg. West Vancouver)

Put all that together and yeah there's a lot of ridings that can pivot to the Conservatives.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Really didn't think about how blue BC's interior was, and the bit about the wealthy neighbourhoods thinking more about their supposed tax savings parallels some of what happened in Ontario earlier this year.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Probably Liberals, if only because the Greens are dominated by the environmentalist issue.

But as mentioned earlier, both believe in technocratic free market solutions and if the way we are going to save the planet is to pray that tax breaks will get billionaires to invent some kind of Star Trek technology to control Earth's climate within the next 100 years, then... well, as I said in the other thread, I'm glad I don't have my own kids to inherit this mess.
Just to let you know, "technocratic free market" is an oxymoron.

Nah. All that leads to is extreme lobbying and politicians giving into the dark side of it. As much as Career Politicians Suck, we don't want the alternative which is them selling us out to get a cushy job once their term expires.
Career politicians still do that, though. See: Brad Wall

As per the replies maybe that's what Warren Kinsella does in his spare time.
Kinsella isn't on the payroll anymore, hasn't been for about... a month?

Term limits are a dumb idea even in the US where there's a fair degree of independence for individual legislators and most seats are safe for one party or the other, but it makes even less sense in Canada when most MPs are just voting the party line anyway.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Not everyone thinks the Munk debates are a good idea.

++++++++++

Separately;

Last edited:

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit the greens and NDP lol. The elections this year are going to be spicy

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
The NDP nominating candidates will show how strong they are. They got a whole 9 and bit days at most before the writ. That's plenty of time.

Not sure what the US Greens are like. Greens have a good reputation in BC. Looking forward to see how this NB thing turns out. Good preview of the election and a lesson not to take anything happening at first impression.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Are the canadian greens as untrustworthy as the US Greens

Elizabeth May is our version of Jill Stein. She's a former conservative.

I think she's just controlled opposition, designed to bleed votes off Trudeau, a common election strategy.

They don't even have a foreign policy, and her threatening to force an election if her demands aren't met is very autocratic.

I might be wrong but I don't think she's attacked Smeer once.

If Cons win a minority, she will hook up with Scheer in minutes.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

I think she's just controlled opposition, designed to bleed votes off Trudeau, a common election strategy.

They don't even have a foreign policy, and her threatening to force an election if her demands aren't met is very autocratic.

I mean, come on, that's a little stretching it. She has been an environmentalist since early in her career, and was a policy advisor to the PC government. That's not really her being a conservative.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is already the most anyone has ever talked about New Brunswick during an election

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

The Green's Indigenous policy is also atrocious in both content and spelling, not to mention outdated in parts: https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2019/05/14/Greens-Need-To-Fix-Indigenous-Vision/
Looking carefully at it, the first thing you notice is how dated it is. Parts of the document's Indigenous policy date back to former Green Party leader Jim Harris' 2006 election platform — in fact parts are cribbed word-for-word from it. Among those items recycled from Harris' platform is a reference to "First Nations, Inuit, Innu, and Métis" peoples. This is a jarring mistake because the Innu are a First Nations people whose name sounds similar to "Inuit" — a people who are different and separate from First Nations — but who are never otherwise listed next to First Nations, Inuit and Métis as a separate category in their own right. Confusing the two betrays a lack of care given to this policy — as does the next thing you notice about Vision Green's statement on Indigenous people — the numerous typographic and spelling errors.

Throughout, the party inconsistently uses Métis with and without an accent, capitalizes the words 'Native' and 'Indigenous' seemingly at random and makes spelling errors, as with the name of what they call the "T'sicoltin" decision (the correct spelling is Tsilhqot'in).

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Libs are acting very very afraid of such a trifling party. lol.
Trying to give someone like PPC Bernier a national platform in one moment then saying
But May..she's the real danger with her clear messages against racism and support of climate change legislation.

The Munk debate is on foreign policy mid campaign. May is attending with Scheer and Singh.
Barn burner in the making.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Agreed on Munk. Their history makes me glad that Trudeau isn't going.
Seemed like an oppo trap. Do want to see May and Scheer there though.
Singh should really liven things up now!

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
About the Munk Debates:

The Munk Debate is run by a little-known charitable foundation that is quietly bankrolling right-wing think tanks across Canada ....

Between 2011 and 2017, Aurea's regular donations to these right-wing organizations have totaled in the millions:

• The Fraser Institute ($1,675,568)
  • MacDonald-Laurier Institute ($1,255,000)
  • Frontier Centre for Public Policy ($1,204,000)
  • Montreal Economic Institute ($968,000)
  • C.D. Howe Institute ($870,000)
  • Canadian Constitution Foundation ($425,000)
  • Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms ($275,000)
  • Atlantic Institute for Market Studies ($252,500)

Source:
The Group Behind Steve Bannon's Toronto Event Also Funds Canada's Biggest Right-Wing Think Tanks

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
The Munk debates getting universally panned was an unexpected turn. I think Justin Ling is the only one supporting it. But threads like below seem to have popped up on twitter.

Who knew hosting david frum and steve bannon would ruin any credibility they may have had...

And I had no idea how Conservative green is, this is all news to me.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Literally the first result I got in search results:

Yeah, she's been "just visiting" since 1972. Funny that a Liberal would use a dig that was used against a Liberal leader who actually WAS opportunistically in Canada.

This is such flagrant bullshit from both of you that it's laughable.

Simon Belmont

Oct 25, 2017
The greens are an environmental protest vote, and that's cool, but they're definitely in no position to govern. You know it, I know it, they know it, dogs know it.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Just to let you know, "technocratic free market" is an oxymoron.

I suppose in my mind "free market" is always in quotes because people like to ask for deregulation but what they really mean is market rules that benefit specific ideologies.
It's like how scientific technocrats believe that women are just intrinsically not suited for science and that we shouldn't try to intervene in the free market of science with affirmative action.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I suppose in my mind "free market" is always in quotes because people like to ask for deregulation but what they really mean is market rules that benefit specific ideologies.
It's like how scientific technocrats believe that women are just intrinsically not suited for science and that we shouldn't try to intervene in the free market of science with affirmative action.
Whoever told you that technocrats believe women are ill-suited for science is full of it. And if that person was a self-professed technocrat, they're full of shit. Period.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Greens after a term or two as Opposition with those resources and control of parliament would be getting their team, connections and experience in. Policies more well understood and developed both interprovincially and internationally.
Climate crisis is only going to get worse in the next decade and make Green policy more important. This election voters have the opportunity to help get them prepare and develop a unified national voice, regionally represented against those who put environment second. The groundwork has been done. This election is the perfect opportunity to take it to the next level
How this NB thing turns out and is played could have huge repercussions.

Environment's own Bloc Québécois :p
Great ring to it! I nominate it for their unofficial slogan for this election.
If they get that many seats...ItsHappening

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever told you that technocrats believe women are ill-suited for science is full of it. And if that person was a self-professed technocrat, they're full of shit. Period.
Digging through my old readings, I'm just reminded of papers like these:
This paper argues that the enormous influence exerted by technocratic elites in the democratization process in Latin America has represented an obstacle to the improvement of women's status in the region. Gender-biased assumptions and practices have been only partially addressed, in part because the policy-making process is under the control of economists, a professional group with a particularly unfriendly stand towards gendered analysis. It is suggested that reforms within economics may help in the task of making democracy more responsive to the demands of women.

This chapter explores two linked logics that perpetuate this inequitable distribution of opportunities: the technocratic understanding of engineering as an enterprise in which power relations play no part; and the related construction of engineering education as a field based solely on meritocratic judgments about eligibility and skill. Through both of these formulations American engineering supports the ongoing exclusion of certain communities based on perceived heritage and ascriptions of potential in turn based on those identities.

It's probably why I just assume people like the CERN guy who thinks women are given too many advantages and that real science should be "naturally selected" are technocrats.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, come on, that's a little stretching it. She has been an environmentalist since early in her career, and was a policy advisor to the PC government. That's not really her being a conservative.
The Green's Indigenous policy is also atrocious in both content and spelling, not to mention outdated in parts:

SRG01 yes it's a bit of a stretch but she still worked for the PC.

But May..she's the real danger with her clear messages against racism and support of climate change legislation.

Ah yes her support for climate change legislation, what's she willing to give up in return? Very weird to even advertise this before the election is even called.
Reminds me of Jack Layton supporting Harper.
Singh did it better, by not supporting CPC. I prefer those kind of principles. The fact that she'd be willing to ally with Scheer is a no no.
There's just something off about her. She was willing to just give JWR leadership of the party.
She hired Warren Kinsella.
And now this BS with the NB NDP.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
SRG01 yes it's a bit of a stretch but she still worked for the PC.

Ah yes her support for climate change legislation, what's she willing to give up in return? Very weird to even advertise this before the election is even called.
Singh did it better, by not supporting CPC. I prefer those kind of principles. The fact that she'd be willing to ally with Scheer is a no no.
There's just something off about her. She was willing to just give JWR leadership of the party.

this week made Singh more sympathetic while it made Liz rotten

and I am usually not one to defend the NDP but this here beyond the pale on the part of the Greens

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown

The leader of the party saying that meeting Green policy for cooperation at this point in the election just seems like basic messaging. Negotiating terms of surrender before the battle started is weak. Planting a flag and taking control of discussion that involves the party is better. Might make some uncomfortable that aren't Green supporters but that's just tough shit for them.
Glad JWR decided to run independent. May can't just give leadership anyway. She can offer to step down and the party choose a new leader. JWR wouldn't win if May was in it.

New seat projections have the Liberals at 172.
Nice interactive regional map!

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
If the Liberals get a minority, and they need the NDP and/or the Green Party to prop them up I wonder if JT will agree to implementing PR as a part of the deal - and ACTUALLY DO IT.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Better chance with the Greens to get them to do it now that May let the nation know that she'll force elections if they don't give into Green agenda. Electoral reform is after enviromental.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Libs might have no choice but to revisit electoral reform anyway if JT wins a majority with 34% of the popular vote.
Funny as it is in a three party-ish country that just over one third figures. Filthy moderates.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
Lol now the Funk Institute is showing up in my Facebook ads because they're complaining Trudeau isn't showing up. Get bent, you platformed Brannon.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's a difference between doing a bad job and actually knowing how to do the job at all.
Considering how many rookie MPs are/have been in cabinet positions since 2015 (and in every cabinet since the dawn of Canadian democracy, I imagine), some of whom were put in positions they have no background or training in, or how the history of the PMO is littered with people who didn't know the job until they took it and surrounded themselves with smart people to get them where they needed to be, this is not a thread I think you want to pull on too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.