• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Green Party won't ban members from trying to reopen abortion debate, says May

Well they're more honest than Scheer at least.

I emailed my Green MP with concerns about the abortion response from May, and this is what his campaign manager replied:

Elizabeth is unequivocally pro-choice. She is on the record countless times about this and is very clear. She believes in women's control over their bodies and in the right to choose, full stop! The same goes for Paul Manly.

Green Party policy as well is unequivocally pro-choice. And before someone is accepted to run as a Green, they have to read the Green Party policies and agree to stand by them. If there are policies they disagree with, they have to flag said policies. Someone who reads Green Party policies and comes back saying they are anti abortion, would not pass the vetting process.

The point Elizabth was making (not super artfully, I will grant you) was about the limits of her powers as leader of the Green Party. In the other parties all the power sits in the office of the leader. The MPs take their marching orders from the leader and must always toe the party line. As a result many MPs don't even bother to read the legislation they vote on. In the Green Party MPs first and foremost must represent their constituents. In practical terms Green MPs will vote with the leader the vast majority of the time, because they have agreed to common principles, policies and values before they ran as Greens. But every once in a while there might be a disagreement sue to an issue coming up that isn't covered by existing policy, or due to a change in policy. In those cases a Green could vote a different way to Elizabeth.

But the idea that a Green backbencher might promote a private members bill to reopen the abortion debate is not credible.

I would encourage you to actually read or watch the entire interview and see it all in context. I believe that the issue was blown out of proportion as clickbait (in order to generate internet traffic).

Here is a link to the entire interview: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/powerandpolitics/power-lunch-green-elizabeth-may-1.5277007

Here is a link to a Globe and Mail article from yesterday clarifying the Greens position: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/pol...osition-on-abortion-says-green-party-screens/

Here is a link to the Green Party statement on this issue from yesterday: https://www.greenparty.ca/en/statem...ydi9Q504V8DCQf9LaR9x7x0fiWeH51Fz8QKUs_1GbTSws

Elizabeth May is extremely committed to explaining the difference between the power of the leader of the Green Party, to the power of the other leaders. In this case she answered an extreme hypothetical from that perspective, when she should have said that actually couldn't happen. But I can assure you that it was not a dog whistle to Conservatives!

And also regarding the Green candidate's comments likening their party's ideology to the CPC:

I too was shocked by his comments, as was Paul Manly. Mr. de Brujin is a first time political candidate and is inexperienced. His comments were not given to him by anyone in the Green Party.

I am not sure why he said what he said, but I assure you that it was not a dog whistle to Conservatives that was coordinated with anyone outside of (maybe) his campaign team. He has been spoken to about those comments.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
^ Hopefully there will be an official response to all of this and not the campaign manager privately emailing you.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
^ Hopefully there will be an official response to all of this and not the campaign manager privately emailing you.

A candidate for the Green Party has said he "doesn't remember" expressing anti-abortion views on at least two Campaign Life Coalition questionnaires, or asking would-be Conservative party voters to consider supporting him because of his abortion views in a Facebook post from 2015.

When asked about a post that laments the ready access some women have to abortion, another candidate for the party said she doesn't recall making those statements on social media.

A spokesperson for the party insists both candidates are avowedly pro-choice and will run for the party in the upcoming federal election campaign.

Now they don't remember LOL.

The Jeff Sessions defence.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
How convenient! Can't they at least say they "have evolved on the matter"?
That just makes those candidates sound opportunistic.

The Liberals have it bad enough with being seen as shallow when it comes to their progressivism, but the backlash gets really heavy the more progressive or moralistic you are supposedly selling yourself as but then have dirt like this unearthed.

I really hope "Green Anxiety" does not become the equivalent of "Economic Anxiety" as an excuse to handwave social and other human rights issues, but it's looking suspicious.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
The battle to not finish in the last position between Singh and May is already hilariously exciting. How low are both going to go?

If you want a good laugh, in Beauce (Bernier's riding) the Rhinocéros party (a joke party) will run with a candidate named Maxime Bernier too hoping to sow chaos on the ballots.

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
His tweet is quoting another tweet. Showing up on my end.

Edit - here it is: https://twitter.com/aballinga/status/1171522681776177152?s=19

Oh right! Sorry about that. Twitter recently changed the underlying functionality of their social widget, and my content blocker has not been updated. It seems to be currently blocking too much. I couldn't see the tweet he was quoting.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
The battle to not finish in the last position between Singh and May is already hilariously exciting. How low are both going to go?
If you want a good laugh, in Beauce (Bernier's riding) the Rhinocéros party (a joke party) will run with a candidate named Maxime Bernier too hoping to sow chaos on the ballots.
Watch the Rhinos win a seat.

Love seeing the the Greens being the top of conversation.
Nantel is starting to grow on me. Greens are making this election exciting.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Speaking of Greens bringing back things we were done "debating":

This party is polling higher than the NDP. For now, anyway.

CBC said:
The Green Party said in an emailed statement that the party does not exclude candidates who support Quebec sovereignty.

"Although the Green Party has the utmost respect for the unique culture of Quebec, it does not support the sovereignist movement,'' it said, adding that the party "does not whip votes and individual MPs are allowed to express their own opinions on this matter.''

The Green's appear to be getting a lot of use from that boiler plate statement early this election with these CBC articles.
I'm starting to think that CBC is working with the Greens. lol Those titles are just so perfect to draw in disenfranchised supporters and make people talk about and look closely at green.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been telling people for years that the Greens are a retrograde freak show aside from the environment

Glad it's getting some attention finally

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
It's a shame no one is really discussing the PBO's numbers on a 1% wealth tax.
Unfortunate that in the article I read Singh didn't say during the annoncement the NDP would use some of that toward environmental policies. Health is a good second choice though.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame no one is really discussing the PBO's numbers on a 1% wealth tax.
Unfortunate that in the article I read Singh didn't say during the annoncement the NDP would use some of that toward environmental policies. Health is a good second choice though.

Post an article if you have it. I hadn't heard anything about the PBO weighing in on anything the NDP has proposed.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've been trying to avoid posting too much in this thread but this week is just too much.

And it's only Tuesday.
The Greens are giving the Rhinoceros party a run for who's the biggest joke this election.
Canadian Election 2019 |OT| My PC Has Less Flops Than The Greens
To add context to the Nantel thing because no one seems to lol. The Liberals are no better as they are running Réjean Hébert in that riding and he's a former PQ Health Minister under Pauline Marois so that's another one for QC Independence. Bloc will be running Denis Trudel a former QC actor and militant for QC Independence. At the provincial level, that riding is Marie-Victorin and elected one of the few PQ MNA in the 2018 election (that went independant later on) so that riding is still heavily nationalist. Hence why they are all running the same kind of candidate
What a surprise that the Bloc are running a sovereignist.

Also: The Green's stating they won't whip an MP who's in favor of it is the point of contention most people in this thread have with the above news. While the LPC (or any of the major federal parties) should not be running any candidates who were PQ/CAQ/Bloc/literally any party advocating for any province to be sovereign, there is no chance that the LPC is going to allow an MP to publicly support Quebec sovereignty/another referendum while remaining an LPC MP, assuming they win that riding.

Last edited:

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
What a hell turn for the Green party.

To add context to the Nantel thing because no one seems to lol. The Liberals are no better as they are running Réjean Hébert in that riding and he's a former PQ Health Minister under Pauline Marois so that's another one for QC Independence. Bloc will be running Denis Trudel a former QC actor and militant for QC Independence. At the provincial level, that riding is Marie-Victorin and elected one of the few PQ MNA in the 2018 election (that went independant later on) so that riding is still heavily nationalist. Hence why they are all running the same kind of candidate

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Greens bringing back things we were done "debating":

gutter_trash right now:
CleanGrippingGartersnake-size_restricted.gif

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Finally caught up on this thread. Rhino trolls are humorous, shining a light on the fungus that is the Green Party is bizarre and unsettling.

Did I correctly read NDP could win as few as 7 seats?! We need that JEB! electoral college map with Trudeau instead. Except stupid Alberta of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.